Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Shropshire Light Infantry

Annette Burgoyne

Hi Rob

Thanks for info. on the men above. Sorry I do not know what the G stands for. What battalion of the Middx. Regt. did the above men join ?

Here is what info. I have on the two men you ask about:-

200409 Pte Joel Albert Wait 4th KSLI (lived at 77 Gravel Hill, Ludlow)

31539 Pte Nathaniel James (recorded wounded in Ludlow Advertiser 29-6-18) he may well have been in the 4th as there are many from this battalion either side of his Regt. No. but can not be 100% sure.

I also have the following info. on three of the men in your list. Rob do your interest lie in the Middx. Regt. itself or something else. If it's the Regiment I will look through the Absent Voter lists that have for Middx. Regt., let me know.

32341 Pte Richard Banks (recorded wounded in my local paper Ludlow Advertiser 16-3-18)

32441 Pte Thomas Turner lived at Shrewsbury

32444 Pte Noah Bray lived at 78 King Street Malinslee.

Hi Ed

There is no rush for SWB Info. I have been working on database for about 16 years now with many more years before I finish, so there is no rush. You ask how many soldiers I have recorded, well I am not sure blink.gif because I have it split between two computers and its a slow job transfarring them all to my new computer (well it was new when I started) because I am double checking all the info I have on each man plus adding new info. I have 9117 soldiers on the new computer and about 8,000 to 9,000 on the old one. By the way I start to transfer back at Christmas 2002, so its along job, plus out of the 9117 records on the new computer 4297 are 1914 Star and 1914-15 Star holders, I have been busy since May this year transcribing them, no wonder my brain as turned to mush sad.gif .

Regards All

Annette

Hi Annette

I'm Richard Banks and my Great Grandfather was 32341 Richard Banks.

I'm starting to put together information about him and found your posts. Our family didn't know that he was wounded but I noticed the wound stripes on his tunic in a photograph. I've since found the actual stripes cut from his uniform, there are 3 stripes. Any info you may have would be interesting. Likewise any info I can supply please ask. We have postcards and other 'interesting' militaria which found it's way home with him.

He lived to be 90 and there are a few tales about Turks and Russians....

Hi Richard

Since that post back in 2004 I have found 32341 Pte Richard Banks service papers on Ancestry, there are only a 6 pages which are all fire damaged but with the help of other mens rcords I have been able to double check dates.

Here are his details just in case you are not with Ancestry :-

Born Foulridge, Lancs.

Resided 43 Belmont Terrace, Foulridge.

Enlisted Colne. 06-12-15 aged 34 years & 0 months, mobilised 22-09-16 and joined 3rd Batt. on 26-09-16.

Posted to Mediteranian Expeditionary Force 25-01-17

Disembarked 13-02-17

Joined 8th Battalion 24-04-17

Wounded 29-06-17 (not 100 % sure where 8th Battalion were on 29th June but think it was near Doldzeli) I think he was only slightly wounded because records record wounded followed by To duty.

Wounded 03-02-18 (remain at duty)

To VII Corps 07-03-18

Rejoined 8th Battalion ??-03-18

Leave looks like 20-06-18 to 24-06-18 ?

Posted to 2nd Battalion 04-12-18

Attached to 26th Middlesex Regt. 22-05-19

Transferred to 26th Middlesex Regt. 22-06-19 and given number G/106753. Authy: ??? 3rd Echelon, G.H.Q. Army of the Black sea. (that's where tales about Turks and Russians comes in)

Discharged 26-12-19 to Class Z Army Reserve.

Annette

PS Could I have copy of his photo please

Hi Richard

Since that post back in 2004 I have found 32341 Pte Richard Banks service papers on Ancestry, there are only a 6 pages which are all fire damaged but with the help of other mens rcords I have been able to double check dates.

Here are his details just in case you are not with Ancestry :-

Born Foulridge, Lancs.

Resided 43 Belmont Terrace, Foulridge.

Enlisted Colne. 06-12-15 aged 34 years & 0 months, mobilised 22-09-16 and joined 3rd Batt. on 26-09-16.

Posted to Mediteranian Expeditionary Force 25-01-17

Disembarked 13-02-17

Joined 8th Battalion 24-04-17

Wounded 29-06-17 (not 100 % sure where 8th Battalion were on 29th June but think it was near Doldzeli) I think he was only slightly wounded because records record wounded followed by To duty.

Wounded 03-02-18 (remain at duty)

To VII Corps 07-03-18

Rejoined 8th Battalion ??-03-18

Leave looks like 20-06-18 to 24-06-18 ?

Posted to 2nd Battalion 04-12-18

Attached to 26th Middlesex Regt. 22-05-19

Transferred to 26th Middlesex Regt. 22-06-19 and given number G/106753. Authy: ??? 3rd Echelon, G.H.Q. Army of the Black sea. (that's where tales about Turks and Russians comes in)

Discharged 26-12-19 to Class Z Army Reserve.

Annette

PS Could I have copy of his photo please

Hi Annette

Thanks very much for that. I will send you a picture that I have of him and other bits and bobs.

We have post cards and letters that he sent ho his wife. It looks like he was in Constantinople for a while but also he sent mail from a place called Batoum. There's a postcard picture of some Turk soldiers with the note 'this is what we are up against'.

Richard

Hi Annette

Richard is the soldier sitting donw. The picture on the right is, I assume, from before he went. Must have been the rations ...

The soldier on the left has a different cap badge?

Pte32341RichardBanks.jpg

Cheers Richard

I have seen a few before and after photos, a year or two of active service changed many a mans apperance, many looking several years older then their age.

I do not know alot about markings on uniforms but looks like he was a L/Cpl. I think he as two wounded strips (or what ever they are called) on the pipe arm, which match the records, and I think the strips on the other arm could be the number of years active service (two) but I am not 100 %, may be a uniform expert could say if I am correct or not.

Just wondering if the other man is Middlesex Regt. ? again not that up on cap badges.

Annette

Hi Annette,

you may have these ,but some details from my family tree,

regards,

John.

• Forename(s): Thomas

• Place of Birth: Barnoldswick, Yorkshire

• Residence: Barnoldswick, Yorkshire

• Service No: 22185

• Regiment/Corps/Service: King's (Shropshire Light Infantry)

• Battalion/Unit: 5th (Service) Battalion

• Division: 14th (Light) Division

• Date of Death: 1917-04-08

• Awards: -----

• CWGC Grave/Mem Ref: I. BB. 14.

• CWGC Cemetery: TILLOY BRITISH CEMETERY, TILLOY-LES-MOFFLAINES

BARNOLDSWICK - Killed in Action

Mr. and Mrs. John Sanderson, 13, Butts, Barnoldswick, received an official intimation last week-end that their youngest son, Pte. Tom Sanderson, had been killed in action in France on April 8th. He was 26 years of age and enlisted in February 1916, in the 5th Battalion Shropshire Light Infantry. He had been at the Front over six months. Before joining the Army he was a weaver for Messrs. S. Pickles and Sons, Butts Mill. Mr. and Mrs. Sanderson have two other sons serving, one of whom - Col. Sergt.-Major James Sanderson - was awarded the Military Medal last year.

Article Date: 09 November 1917

BARNOLDSWICK FAMILY'S DOUBLE BEREAVEMENT - Twin Brothers Killed

Last weekend Mr. and Mrs. John Sanderson 13, Butts, Barnoldswick, received an official intimation that their son, Pte. George Sanderson (Somerset Light Infantry) had been killed in action on October 19th, in France.

This is their second bereavement during the war, a twin brother (Pte. Tom Sanderson) having been killed in April last. They were both unmarried, and 27 years of age. George had been out in France about 12 months, and prior to enlisting was a weaver employed by the Craven Manufacturing Co., Butts Mill.

Sergt. James Sanderson, an elder brother who served in the South African War, and nearly three years in the present war, has been awarded the Military Medal. He is still somewhere in France, while a younger son is in training.

Hi John

Thanks for photo and info., I had C.W.G.C. info. but not the paper articles.

The date Thomas was killed on was more likely to have been the 9th April. May years ago I noticed that SD & C.W.G.C. recorded 30 or so men of the 5th Battalion killed on the 8th April 1917 & only two or three killed on the 9th April, I knew this had to be incorrect, because the Battalion made attack at Arras on the 9th April. Anyway to cut a long story short, a chap who's grandfather was killed at Arras contacted me about him and he had been trying to get the C.W.G.C. to change the date of death but they would not. I then told him about all the other 5th Battalion men who I believed date was incorrect, plus I gave him all the details I had about the 5th Battalion's roll in the battle. He tried again with the info I had sent him, the C.W.G.C. agreed that the dates had to be incorrect and changed them on the website, and seid they would change the date on each man's stone when each stone needed replaceing through wear.

Annette

John I forgot to add that I believe the mistake came about due to a clericle (not sure of spelling) error. I have a few service papers of men wounded at this time, and many have the 8th recorded but later medical reports give the date as the 9th. All the entries were made on the 13th the fifth day after the battle.

Annette

Hi Annette,thanks for the additional info regarding the date of death, most interesting. have attached a larger pic and grave pic,both dated the 8th though !,

regards,John.

Hi John

larger pic and grave pic,both dated the 8th though !,

If you go to the C.W.G.C. site you will find they have changed the date to the 9th April 1917, plus I believe they will change the stones as and when they need replacing but saying that I have just looked at the letter sent to Sgt. Hotchkiss relative and it only mentions correcting his stone, I just presume that they would correct all 33 5th Battalion men with incorrect date, afterall they have changed all thire dates on the website, this was back in 1995.

Annette

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Annette

I came across this site recently while doing some family research.

In may 09 you were contacted by a person called Matt (page 18 of this thread) looking for information on his great grandfather Francis Baker.

You provided some details about his brother Ernest Charles Baker who happens to be my grandfather.

I would be grateful if you could tell me how to contact this person or pass on my e mail to him as I have some (not a lot) information and photographs that may be of interest to him.

It just comes up as error when I try to access the members profile, even my own.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ernest1

I will see what can do.

Annette

• 2 weeks later...

Much appreciated.

Sorry for not replying sooner, been on a much needed holiday with no electronic distractions.

Hi

My email is matt.bennett@y7mail.com. Look forward to sharing some info. Matt

Hi Ernest.

Let me know your e-mail address. I have a copy of your Grand Father's Medal card and a copy of the Silver War Badge roll. I have tried to get your e-mail by clicking on your profile but get an error message..

Matt

Hi Matt.

I have tried to get your e-mail by clicking on your profile but get an error message..

Could be because you do not have many posts. I did send Ernest1 an email when you first post your email address here, I will send him another now, hopefully he will get back to you.

Annette

I'm looking for a popular name - James Smith, from Burnley, Lancs, In the September 1914 SSFA, he's listed at 39 Fielden St Burnley, and although no regiment # is listed, he is noted as being part of the Shropshire Light Infantry. There are many James Smiths, of course - I've been struggling trying to narrow him down, because so many of the ones listed don't seem to come up on either Ancestry or the National Archives searches.

Would you have in your records the following James Smith? James Smith born 1888 in Newchurch, Lancashire, most likely signed on while residing in at 39 Fielden St Burnley as he had been there since about 1908, part of the KSLI - I have no medal card info, nothing, just a name and my dad's childhood memory: My dad remembers him (this is his granddad) spitting blood on the coals every night, a side effect of being gassed in the trenches on the Western Front, and remembered him talking about the KSLI. His brother, 15455 George Alfred, was also KSLI and I have found his service records, he joined Nov 10 1914, some time after James.

Any information is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Chris

Hi Chris

I have not been able to pin point your Great Grandfather out of the nine James Smith in my database. None fit the bill one way or another.

There are only two that fit the date of enlistment, one of whom was killed. The other one seems to have come from Llangollen area and would have enlisted at Oswestry plus he won the M.M.

There is one who's number fall's amoung men who enlisted in November but I have come across the odd man who's number does not match the date he enlisted so he can not be ruled out, his number is 15698 Cpl. Smith, James, and he transfarred to S.W.B. and given new number 40554.

Annette

James Smith 40554 S W borderers has a Silver War Badge and as it happens I have been looking at the page containing his. It states he was discharged 15/12/1917 aged 30 5/12 which fits the age you are looking at.

Hywyn

Hi Hywyn

Does the Silver War Badge give any more on James Smith ?

Annette

I have found someone I think may be a closer match on the SWB (thanks to some help from kind user Dave "CROONAERT" in another thread):

2716 James Smith signed on 31 Aug 1914, discharged 17 Nov 1917, served overseas, aged 39 (correct age!)

He was discharged from an infantry depot in Shrewsbury.

A Medal card which matches the # and discharge indicate South Lancashire Regiment though - I suppose he could have transferred from an earlier enlistment with the KSLI.

Have you a 2716 James Smith in your roster?

Hi Hywyn

Does the Silver War Badge give any more on James Smith ?

Annette

I make 1917 less 39 years = 1878.

You said he was born 1888?

Hywyn

Yes, that was just pointed out to me... I misread. how sad!sad.gif

Anyway, I just got off the phone with my dad, and he doesn't remember hearing his granddad was discharged early, but it wouldn't surprise him because his granddad had lung problems all the rest of his life. But, he does remember his Granddad being extremely proud of serving with the KSLI, and Granddad Smith gave him the badge from his cap - we have no idea where that is now, but it may turn up I suppose one day!