Remembered Today:

Kings Shropshire Light Infantry

Annette Burgoyne

Hi Ben0239

I do not have a lot on him, the Silver War Badge roll records the following-

enlisted on the 20th May 1915

Entered battlefield on 8th Dec. 1915

Discharged on 19th March 1918 aged 22.

He is reported wounded in my local paper (the Ludlow Advertiser 4th November 1916).

I am not sure the R.E. medal rolls record the Battalion of original units you would best posting a new thread in the Units section of the forum to see if anyone interested in the R.E. can confirm this or not also I do not have enough data on the R.E. to say when he transferred to them.

While I do not have the Battalion he served in I think I know which one it is but you must bear in mind that this is only a guess on my part going by the date of entery into France and from other men who are reported wounded in the same addition of the Ludlow Advertiser. First of all the men in my datedase who landed in France on the 7th/8th Dec 1915 were posted to the 1st Battalion. Secondly I have been working on the casualty lists in my local paper but this work is no way finished nor is it 100% proof of when a man was wounded because men were missed of lists and added to lists days or even weeks latter. Anyway the list that Joseph John Bradford appears in points to 1st Battalion men killed and wounded between the 16th & 20th September 1916 (mostly on the 18th). On the 18th September 1916 the 1st Battalion capture a strong point near Ginchy know as the Quadrilateral, I am hoping to visit the area in March :)

Good luck with your search and if you find out for definat which Battalion he was in could you let me know, also if you have any info. on where he came from would be great thanks.

Annette

Hi Annette

I took your advice and posted a message within the Royal Engineer Forum and found this information about Joseph Bradford

His discharge unit was the Royal Engineers Transfer Depot at Longmoor, Hampshire His record office is shown as Tavistock Square, London. All this leads me to believe that he was about to transfer to a unit of the RE railways. Two things point to this. Firstly, The RE railway depot was at Longmoor, also Tavistock Square was the record office for the newly formed Transportation Services of the RE. His number also suggests he probably transferred in 1918. Had he stayed in a few weeks longer he would have been issued with a new number prefixed with "WR" which was given to transportation troops.

The information regarding his discharge unit and record office is contained on the SWB roll, available at TNA or on Ancestry.

The information I have found today suggests that he was discharged on the 19.3.18 due to wounds, therefore is it possible he was injured again or was this as a result of the early injury documented on Nov 4th 1916. The fact that he didnt transfer to the Royal Engineers until 1918 would lead me to believe that the injury he sustained in September and which was recorded in Nov 4th can not have been that serious otherwise his time in the Infantry would of ended sooner. Could you therefore tell me if Joseph Bradford appears in any later injury lists prior to being discharged in March 1918.

The injury he sustained was shrapnel too his leg which according to my Nan rendered him immobile some days which makes me think this injury was caused later in the war than 1916.

Thanks Ben

Hi Annette,

I am researching the men of the Bracknell area who fell in WWI and have three who served in the Shropshire L.I. Would you be kind enough to send me extracts from the War Diaries around the time of their death please?

My e-mail is aradgick@btinternet.com

'My' men are:

Pte Ernest Charles Gambriel, 10792, 7th Battalion, DOW 19/9/18

Pte John Herbert Merrett, 27251, 1st Battalion, KIA 22/3/18

Pte Stanley Arthur Smith, 28384, 1/4th Battalion, DOW 7/5/18

Regards,

Andrewr

He Andrewr

I do not have the 7th nor the 1/4th diaries plus with both Gambriel & Smith D. of W. I can not be 100 % sure where they recieved their wounds, I am working on the wounded lists in papers but have not yet got as far as 1918, and it's going to be some time before I get there, so if you want try me again in a few months I may be able to place a date on them being wounded to within a few days or so.

I do have a copy of the 1st Battalion's diary but at this moment just do not have the time to type out alot of detail but here are breif details. The 1st Battalion took over trenches between Noreuil and Lagnicourt on the 14th March 1918. Their line came under heavy shell fire at 5 a.m. on 21st by 8 a.m. the Germans had worked up the valleys on either side of the Brigade, these in front line who could fought their way back to reserve line. Col. Smith then lead a counter-attack with three platoons but to no use the Germans were in both villages, those that could get away rallied in the Haig Line (55 according to war diary). These men sent to 1st Buffs H.Q. in Vaulx. A few of the Battalion were with the Brigade school platoon, and this platoon made bombing attack on a post on left of Buffs line, the Germans were pushed out of several bays and a block formed. Germans in several hundred yards of Haig Line on Buffs left. By 7 a.m. on 22nd Germans reported to have broken through line at Bois de Vaulx all riflemen sent to road to cover this. Three attempts at counter-attacks failed due the lack of artillery fire. By midday there were no troops on Brigades right for about 900 yards and there was a 600 yards gap on the left of the handfull of K.S.L.I. troops, about 3.30 p.m. they recieved message that Buffs had fallen back, the Germans were getting around the left flank and once in Vaulx the K.S.L.I. troops fell back to line front of G.H.Q. line . At dusk the Battalion recieved orders to withdraw to the G.H.Q. Line behind Veaucourt. The Battalion lost 492 men, out of these 58 were killed, the rest were either wounded or P.O.W.s.

Annette

Hey Annette,

I am trying to trace as much information with regards to my GGF. I believe he may have been transferred to the 7th Bttn from the RAMC due to the Army (Transfers) Act of 1915. I know he was in the 7th at around the 26th of Feb 1916 as he, and his 3 brothers, are in the local (to them) paper - The Lowestoft Journal. One of my brothers had done a bit of digging a few years ago, and beleived his death was during the St Eloi Craters action. His medal card states a date of entry as 10/12/15.

His details (taken from the CWGC are:

20048 Baldry, Henry William - Acting L/Cpl 7th Bttn King's (Shropshire Light Infantry). KIA 3/4/16. Commemorated on Menin Gate

Many thanks in advance.

Hi Balderz002

I do not have any more then you sorry but can confirm the 7th Battalion were at the crators at St. Eloi on the 3rd April 1916.

Annette

Annette,

Do you have any information on the 1st BTN from DEC 8th 1915 to November 4th 1916.

Thanks Ben

Hi Ben

I do not have a lot of time at moment but will put breif movements for you when I get a bit of spare time, for starters have a look at the Hellfire Corner website, I put a articial on there about the Battalion's counter-attack at Mortaldje Est. Also will get back to you no other info. you ask for.

Annette

I have recently aquired a digital copy of this image on the belief that its of the 7th Bn KSLI, can anyone confirm either way if it is, and even when it was taken?

post-94835-0-48648600-1354730114_thumb.j

Hi Annette,

Thank you so much for the information you sent Ref: Arthur Charles Gordon Smith WW1. Ok he was not in the KSLI but could well have been in the Shropshire

Yeomanry. I would be most grateful if you could advise me where to go to get records from the Shropshire Yeomanry.

All my very best wishes: Dot

Hi Dot

I am not that up with the Yeomanry, or not until they were formed into the 10th Battalion K.S.L.I. I think the best place to try is the Shropshire Regimental Museum at Shrewsbury.

Annette

I have recently aquired a digital copy of this image on the belief that its of the 7th Bn KSLI, can anyone confirm either way if it is, and even when it was taken?

Hi Balderz002

I have a copy of same photo but on info. on which Battalion, if you do find out for sure which one these men belong to I would be greatful to known.

Annette

Hi Annette,

I am researching those named on the WW1 memorial in our local church near Chester, and one of them was with 1st KSLI, so I will post what I have managed to write about him so far :

William Edward Cartmel was born in Saughall in Q4 1893 and baptised in Shotwick church on 2 February 1896, the third of four children of William Edwin and Elizabeth (née Bithell). His father died in 189* and his mother then married John Griffith on 23 January 1901; the family continued to live in Saughall. In the 1911 census William was living at Factory Cottages in Saughall and working as a horseman on a farm. It is not known when he joined up but he served with the 1st Battn King’s Shropshire Light Infantry in France and Flanders; they landed at St Nazaire on 10 Sept 1914 and were involved in raids and attacks on Hill 70 near Loos on 18 and 19 April 1917. It is possible that he died later from wounds as his date of death is given as 4 May. He is buried in the Philosophe British Cemetery at Mazingarbe, between Bethune and Lens. In addition to the memorial in Backford Church, William is also listed on the War Memorial in Saughall, on the west base of the clock tower of the Vernon Institute.

If you can add anything to this I would be very grateful, equally if you think it contains any errors please let me know !

Michael

Hi Annette,

Another KSLI man from the Backford War Memorial :

William Dentith was born on 25 Jan 1898 and baptised in All Saints church, Saughall on 24 April, the son of Thomas Dentith, a farm labourer, and his wife Mary, who lived on Parkgate Road. William was their fifth child and youngest of three sons and was attending school (in Mollington ?) at the time of the 1911 census. He served in the Cheshire Yeomanry for three years before being transferred to the 10th Battn King’s Shropshire Light Infantry when they were drafted out to Egypt. The Wirral Parish Magazine for January 1918 reported “The sad news of the death from wounds of Trooper William Dentith of the Cheshire Yeomanry, somewhere in the neighbourhood of Jerusalem. Dentith was a promising young man, bearing a thoroughly good character”. According to Army records he was killed in Egypt on 5 Dec 1917 and is buried in the Kantara War Memorial Cemetery on the east side of the Suez Canal. This had been the site of a major base and hospital centre.

Again, any comments would be much appreciated.

Michael

The following is an extract from the 10th Battalion KSLI war diary for the the days leading up to the 5th December 1917:

30th November at 21:00

Night 29/30th, Battalion advanced and captured TIREH. Holding a line from BEIT DUIKKA to Hill 1750 Q 12 d, both inclusive. Enemy counter attacked during afternoon & eventually rushed Hill 1750 ( held by 25th RWF) & TIREH. Battalion retired to original line -

Casualties: 8 Officers 93 OR.

Killed: 3 Officers 14 OR

Wounded:5 Officers 63 OR

Wounded & missing: 2 OR

Missing believed killed: 5 OR

Acc injured: 9 OR

December 1st

Battalion held line from R 19 Central to Q 24 Central connecting with 24th RWF at DURKU with 24th Welsh on left. Bn H at Q 24 d Central. Line was consolidated during the day, which was quiet, small amount of sniping and machine gun fire from enemy E of TIREH village. During day 24th Welsh attacked TIREH from West, but finding Hill 1750 held by Turks and not by 229th Bde as they (229th Bde) had reported, the line was taken up N from ANCIENT ROAD WADI from point 1423.

December 2-3rd

No change

December 4th

Relieved during night by 1st Leinsters on right and 6th Leinsters on left.

December 5th

Relief complete at 0200 (5th) Batt moved to Bivouac in Q 26 d 6.2.

It would seem that any casualties occurred on the 30th November into the 1st December.

Hi Annette,

I am researching those named on the WW1 memorial in our local church near Chester, and one of them was with 1st KSLI, so I will post what I have managed to write about him so far :

William Edward Cartmel was born in Saughall in Q4 1893 and baptised in Shotwick church on 2 February 1896, the third of four children of William Edwin and Elizabeth (née Bithell). His father died in 189* and his mother then married John Griffith on 23 January 1901; the family continued to live in Saughall. In the 1911 census William was living at Factory Cottages in Saughall and working as a horseman on a farm. It is not known when he joined up but he served with the 1st Battn King’s Shropshire Light Infantry in France and Flanders; they landed at St Nazaire on 10 Sept 1914 and were involved in raids and attacks on Hill 70 near Loos on 18 and 19 April 1917. It is possible that he died later from wounds as his date of death is given as 4 May. He is buried in the Philosophe British Cemetery at Mazingarbe, between Bethune and Lens. In addition to the memorial in Backford Church, William is also listed on the War Memorial in Saughall, on the west base of the clock tower of the Vernon Institute.

If you can add anything to this I would be very grateful, equally if you think it contains any errors please let me know !

Michael

Hi Michael

William, Cartmel was formerly 748 Denbighshire Yeomanry. Not sure when he joined up but that is a low number, I can tell you from information I have on other men near his K.S.L.I. (26776), that he sailed for France with other men from Denbigh Yeo. on 22nd November 1916, that transfarred to the Shropshire on the 6th October 1916, joining the 1st Battalion the 8th October 1916, along with 153 other men from the Denbigh Yeo.

I think he was one of three men killed, during a very small raid by the German, I say raid but more like 4 daring German soldiers, who in the words of the war diary - succeeded in circumventing the left post of "C" Company by crawling down a disused sap. Three K.S.L.I. men were killed in the close quarter fighting that followed. The Germans then retired before the post could be reinfored.

But I can not be 100 % sure Cartmel was one of the three killed in the post because Soldiers Died and C.W.G.C. record the deaths of four 1st Battalion men on the 4th May 1917.

25727 Pte. Thomas, William, is buried in grave I.O.17 Philosophe British Cemetery

21298 Pte. Penny, Frank, is buried in grave I.O.20 Philosophe British Cemetery

18260 Pte. Smith, Frank, "C" Company, is buried in grave I.O.21 Philosophe British Cemetery

26776 Pte. Cartmel, William, is buried in grave I.O.22 Philosophe British Cemetery.

I can not add any more to what Donald has posted for Dentith.

Annette

Hi Ben

I do not have a lot of time at moment but will put breif movements for you when I get a bit of spare time, for starters have a look at the Hellfire Corner website, I put a articial on there about the Battalion's counter-attack at Mortaldje Est. Also will get back to you no other info. you ask for.

Annette

Hi Ben

After looking at a couple of men's service papers, who had landed in France on the 7th December 1915, and looking at the 1st Battalion's diary, I am 99.9% sure Joseph Bradford joined the 1st Battalion on the night of 20th December.

Hear are the brief details of the Battalion's movements from the 16th Dec. 1915 to the 19th Sept 1916.

16th Dec- took over trenches in the La Brigue line with its left flank at Morteldje.

19th Dec -the Germans launched an attack on the 6th and 49th Divisions, using a new form of gas “phosgene” . There had been a warning about the Germans intention to make a gas attack several days before, and the front line troops were fully prepared but “A” Company, who were in close proximity to the German lines had little time to put on their gas helmets and suffered more. Following the gas the Germans probed the British lines with small bodies of men, these were driven off with rifle fire. The Germans continued to shell the support areas throughout the day, communication was lost with the front line before dusK. The shelling continued throughout the night. The shelling did not stop until 8 a.m. on the 21st, only to resume at about 4 p.m., the Battalion Were relieved an hour later and proceeded to the 16th Brigades billets in Poperinghe, situated on the Elverdinghe road.

The following eight weeks were spent in the La Brigue sector. At this time of the year only four to five days were spent in the trenches at any one time. Time in Reserve were spent at Burgomaster Farm and in dug-out or huts on the Canal Bank, while in Reserve the Battalion supplied large working parties for the trenches in the 16th Brigades area. Rest was mostly spent in Poperinghe and Wood A30, which lay between Poperinghe and Vlamertinghe. The Battalion experienced shelling on every day it spent in the trenches during this time, except for one day.

24th February 1916-a move was made to the Divisions right flank, “A” and “D” Companies took over the front line in the Railway Wood sector, with “B” in support, and “C” were in reserve in the cellars of the large school near the ramparts.

29th Feb -relieved and proceeded to Ypres and billeted in the Convent and Dry Switch near the water tower.

5th March - Battalion returned to trenches near Y Wood. The weather was very cold, snow fell throughout the 7th, making life most unpleasant.

10th March - relieved and proceeded to Wood A.30. While here two hundred men volunteered to work on support trenches for two days in the Brigade’s sector even thou they had just come out of the trenches, for which the men were thanked by the Brigadier for their devotion to duty.

14th March-The Guards Division began to relieve the 6th Division. The 1/K.S.L.I. were relieved on the 15th and marched to Poperinghe,

16th March- entrained for Calais, and marched to No. 6 Rest Camp at Beaumarais. Training commenced on the sand in sunny warm weather, which heightened the men’s spirits. Alas this warm weather only lasted a few days and the training was stopped.

26th March- started the march back to the Salient. Halts made nightly at Zutkerqueand and Bollezeele before it arrived at Herzeele, where it was billeted in farms about a mile west of the town.

6th April-the Battalion proceeded to Camp “M “located in the angle formed by the Poperinghe-Proven road and the Poperinghe-Watou road, two mile west-north-west of Poperinghe, where it remained until the 15th April. During this period large working parties were found for work burying telephone cable from St. Jean to Potijze and La Brique, and also for work on new railway crossing on the Poperinghe-Crombeke road.

15th April -Division start to take over the 20th Division’s line, which ran from the canal near Boesinghe to trench B17 near Algerian Cottage. 1st K.S.L.I. moved to Camp “E” (formerly Camp “A”) in Wood “A30”, and next day marched to positions on the canal, and at Chateau des Trois Tours, and Work L.2.

17th April- provided carrying parties for the Buffs and Bedfords in the front line.

18th April- provided 200 men to work on a communication trench called threadneedle Street in the Forward Cottage sector.

19th April- Germans capture the following trenches:-D.20, D21, the Ducks Bill, Willow Walk, S.18 and S18a. The 2nd York and Lancs. were ordered from the canal bank to the support line, whilst the K.S.L.I. troops at Chateau des Trois Tours, and Work L.2 moved forward to join those already stationed at the canal.

20th April - counter-attack regained left part of D.21.

21st April- The 1st K.S.L.I. counter-attack and regain most of the lost trenches, relieved that night and proceeded to Camp “E” in Wood A.30.

28th April- proceed to the Canal Bank, and took up positions on both banks, with the left flank resting at Bridge No. 4.

29th April, take over trenches either side of the Ypres-Pilckem road, H.Q. was near La Belle Alliance. The trenches were in a very bad state, with many gaps in the front line, some as large as 150 yards. Every effort was made to connect and repair them. German patrols were very active, but all attempts to enter through the gaps were frustrated and casualties inflicted.

3rd May-The Battalion, with the assistance of two companies of the 8th Bedfords., extend it's line to the left by about 500 yards.

5th May- The Battalion were relieved and proceeded to Camp “E”.

11th May- Back to same trenches.

17th May- relieved, “C” and “D” Companies move to the east back of the canal and the remainder of the Battalion proceed to Trois Tours. The rest of May and early June passed with little to note. Tours of the trenches brought the usual casualties; spells in Brigade Reserve were spent at Trois Tours and at the Canal bank and involved the usual working and carrying parties.

21st June-the Battalion proceeded to billets in Poperinghe,

22nd June- marched to Herzeel, on arrival it was billed in the same farm houses when it visited in March.

1st July -marched to Tatinghem, one night was spent at Noordpeene on the way. On arrival at Tatinghem the Battalion became the training battalion for the Second Army Central School at Wisques. A strenuous twelve days followed, with frequent demonstrations in first and last stages of an attack, fire control, observation of targets and other tactics. The Battalion also provided large working parties daily for the school.

13th July -the transport moved to Staple, ten miles east of St. Omer.

14th July-Rest of Battalion proceeded by train to Camp “M”, two miles north-west of Poperinghe, the transport also made its way here by road.

16th July - returned to the salient and billeted in Ypres,

17th July took over front and support trenches, which ran from a point 350 yards south of the Ypres-Verlorenhoek road to the Ypres-Roulers railway, with H.Q. in Potijze Wood.

25th July - relieved and proceed to billets it previously occupied in Ypres.

29th July-The Battalion move to Poperinghe

2nd August it entrains at Hopoutre for Doullens. On arrival at Doullens on 3rd August, the 1st K.S.L.I. marched to billets 200 yards north-east of Authieule.

4th Aug- marched to billets in Puchevillers.

7th Aug- move to huts in a wood east of Acheux

10th Aug-move to another wood one and a half miles north-west of Englebelmer. From here daily and nightly working parties were supplied for the Brigades sector. This sector was now fairly quiet and the working parties only suffered slight shelling with gas on a couple of occasions.

15th Aug- marched to trenches opposite Beaumont-Hamel, near Sunk Lane (the one in the Somme film, which show 1st Lancs. Fus, waiting to move forward). It’s line ran from Jacob’s Ladder to Watling Street, “A” Company on right and “B” on the left, the other two companies were in reserve, and H.Q. was at White City. The Battalion was intermittently shelled and mortared during the earl part of this tour.

20th Aug- relieved and proceed to billets split between Mailly-Maillet and Auchonvillers. While here the usual working parties were supplied daily and nightly.

25th Aug-Auchonvillers was heavily shelled between 2.45 p.m. and 7.25 p.m.

27th August- marched to Naours, stopping nightly at Bertrancourt and Amplier. The time spent at Naours was devoted to rest and training in open warfare.

6th Sept.-the Battalion proceeded by rough march to Bois des Taille via Villers-Bocage and Corbie. It arrived west of the wood at noon on the 8th and took over tents and huts.

9th Sept- the Battalion practiced attacking behind a creeping barrage which lifted fifty yards every minute,

10th Sept-practiced an attack over open ground.

11th Sept-8 a.m. Marched to Talus Boise, about one mile N.W. of Maricourt, and later move to trenches one mile N.N.E. of Maricourt.

12th-13th Sept-working & carrying parties, day and night.

14th Sept-move to trenches 1000 yds S.W. of Guillemont.

15th Sept-The 6th Division attack Straight Trench & the Quadrilateral, which is unsuccessful, 1st K.S.L.I. are not involved in fighting but supply carrying parties to front line. At about midday the Battalion ordered to trenches south of Quadrilateral, and make an attack on the strong point, but ordered cancelled before they get to these trenches, they then take up treches south of road running between Guillemont and Leuze Wood.

16th Sept-shelled

18th Sept-The Battalion captured the Quadrilateral, relieved at 10 p.m. The Battalion make it's way to bivouac near Briqueterie road.

Annette

Hello Annette

I am listing every soldier of the 9000 wills recently posted by the Irish nationalarchives office

I came across a Henry Cadden Lance/Cpl. 10162

KIA 24/09/1914.

At the moment I have completed all of 1914

If I come across any more KSLI I will let you know

It will take several weeks to complete the entire 9000

But already I have found a few jems of new information

Some soldiers left last letters and notes where they were serving

Regards

Gerry

Forgot to mention.

Cpl William A James 9029 Ist bat KIA 24/10/1914

G

Thanks Gerry, the wills sound interesting.

L/Cpl. Cadden was the first K.S.L.I. soldier to be killed.

Annette

Thank you Annette,

I see he was from Fermoy Co Cork and married

Regards

Gerry

Many thanks to Annette and Don for their replies to my posting about W Cartmel (1 KSLI) and W Dentith (10 KSLI), and apologies for not acknowledging sooner .. I was away .. and then rather preoccupied with other matters.

Dentith is recorded as Died of Wounds so must have been one of the 63 OR recorded on the night of 29/30 Nov.

As for Cartmel, I see that 3 of the 4 graves listed by Annette have consecutive numbers - which may add a little more weight to those being the 3 killed as described by Annette.

Michael

Hi Michael

As for Cartmel, I see that 3 of the 4 graves listed by Annette have consecutive numbers - which may add a little more weight to those being the 3 killed as described by Annette.

It is highly likely that 21298 Pte. Penny, 18260 Pte. Smith, & 26776 Pte. Cartmel, were the men killed in the raid but at the same time one could not be 100% sure, the dead K.S.L.I. lads may not have been brought out of the line for several hours or a day or so and they may have been carried out with men of other units and then all buried at same time.

Annette

• 1 month later...

Hi Annette,

Hope you can help, I contacted you back in December to see if you had any information on my grandfathers WW1 war records--Arthur Charles Gordon Smith. You were able to tell me that there was no record of him having served with the KSLI. Since then I have been able to trace 2 soldiers through Ancestry.com that could be my grandfather. The first Arthur C G Smith served with the Labour Corps and I am at present trying to get further information on him through the Pioneer Association in London.

The second soldier who I feel you may be able to help me with is listed as Arthur Smith who enlisted into the KSLI on 20th December 1914, his army No.9070, he was later transfered twice into the Royal Engineers with the following numbers WR/148022 & 273838. I am unable to find their enlistment details on Forces War Records and have gained the above information from Medals & Awards Records. Arthur Smith ex KSLI was awarded the War Medal-Victory Medal & Star.

In order to rule the KSLI soldier in or out of the frame I need to know his place of residence at the time of enlistment, we believe it would have been Whithington,

Nr Wellington, Shropshire or it could have been Shrewsbury area. Any help or information you can give would be very much appreciated.

Best regards Dot

Hi Dot

I do not have any information on where 9070 Pte. Arthur Smith lived but a chap two numbers from his number lived at Rodington about 1 & 1/2 miles from Withington, now this could just be chance or it could be that the two men know each another and joined up together. By the way the date on the medal roll is the date he either was posted to or first entered Battlefield, its not the enlistment date, he would have enlisted some time between 15th Dec. 1908 and 4th Jan 1909. Going by the date of entery or posting, points to him landing in France with the 2nd Batt.

Have you looked at the Absent Voters Lists held at Shrewsbury, if not these are worth a look at, the Shrewsbury and Wellington Jornal is also worth looking at, Shropshire Mad (a forum memerber) as done a lot of work with this paper, he may be able to help.

Annette

Hi Annette,

I was wondering if you had any information on my grandfather Alfred Leonard Carter in your database. I believe he was a regular soldier before the war and was with the Shropshire Light Infantry in India (so presumably original 2nd Battalion although I beleive his subsequent service was on the Western Front). The story goes that he was returning to the UK in 1914 having completed his initial service when the war broke out and he was immediately called back into the regiment. Unfortunately he died when my father was only 7 so we don't really have any direct information from him other than his regiment and the fact that he was badly wounded by shrapnel at some point.

Many Thanks

Andy Carter

Hi Andy

This soldier fits the bill- 8664 Pte. Alfred Leo., Cater who enlisted on 11th Nov 1907 and landed in France with the 2nd Battalion on 21st December 1914. His Silver War Badge roll entry records that he was wounded but does not say when. He was discharge from the Army on 18th April 1916. I do not have any other information on this man, do you have any information on where your grandfather was born or resided, so I can add this to my database.

Annette