Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Shropshire Light Infantry

Annette Burgoyne

Hi Annette,

Firstly, I have been trying to buy your book, but the museum in Shrewsbury seems to have run out; is there anywhere else I can buy a copy?

Secondly, I am trying to find out more about the service in the KSLI of my grandfather, Dan Wrench Shallcross (34802), who died before I was born.

We have his medal card, which tells me nothing much, as I have his medals. I know he enlisted in late 1917 or early 1918. I don’t know which Battalion.

We also have this group photograph, which I am assuming was taken somewhere in England, probably during basic training. Possibly someone else has the same one and may know more about when it was taken.

There is a family story that he was wounded at about the time of the Armistice (in Belgium?) and was possibly posted as missing (My father was born five days later, so Dan must have been at home in February 1918) . My grandmother and father are long since dead so cannot corroborate.

Any help would be most welcome.

Many thanks, Martin

post-92001-0-93694200-1353359496_thumb.j

My email: aston.thomas59@live.co.uk Any contact to this post please alert by email (Ref Page 38 Great War Forum)

With regards to John (Jack) Persival Smith late Yeomanry and KSLI Army No.2807 & 26691.

I was doing some research on my grandfather Arthur Charles Gordon Smith of The Villa, Withington,Shropshire when I ran across the request for anyone who had any connections

with Jack. From the information we have and that supplied by you I am certain that these two men were brothers, please feel free to make contact.

All we know of my grandfather Arthur Charles Gordon Smith's army service is that at the time of WW1 he lived at The Villa, Whithington, Shropshire and believe that he would have served in the Yeomanry or KSLI along with his brother John but am not sure. We have tried searching army records but can find no trace of him amongst survivers. I would be most grateful if anyone could supply me with any information.

Hi Dot

Sorry I can not find anyone who matchs your grandfather Arthur Charles Gordon Smith in my K.S.L.I. datebase, he may have been in the Yeomanry and not moved to the K.S.L.I. like John (Jack) Persival Smith.

Annette

Hi Annette,

Firstly, I have been trying to buy your book, but the museum in Shrewsbury seems to have run out; is there anywhere else I can buy a copy?

Secondly, I am trying to find out more about the service in the KSLI of my grandfather, Dan Wrench Shallcross (34802), who died before I was born.

We have his medal card, which tells me nothing much, as I have his medals. I know he enlisted in late 1917 or early 1918. I don’t know which Battalion.

We also have this group photograph, which I am assuming was taken somewhere in England, probably during basic training. Possibly someone else has the same one and may know more about when it was taken.

There is a family story that he was wounded at about the time of the Armistice (in Belgium?) and was possibly posted as missing (My father was born five days later, so Dan must have been at home in February 1918) . My grandmother and father are long since dead so cannot corroborate.

Any help would be most welcome.

Many thanks, Martin

Hi Martin

I have a few plus the museum do have more now as I took them a box full a couple of weeks ago. I do not know which battalion your grandfather, Dan Wrench Shallcross was in yet, I have not got around to looking at the roll that contains his number, I am hoping the medal rolls will go on line one day and save me any more trips down to London (which I have stopped at moment). I have not come across his name in the casulty lists that appear in my local paper but saying that I do know that men are missing from these lists. Could you please tell me where your grandfather came from so I can add this info. to my databse.

Do you know if you have a Wilfred, Shallcross in your family ? he was formerly in Cheshire Regt. and transferred to the K.S.L.I. serving in the 6th & 1st Battalions, he was wounded in mid 1918.

Annette

Any information about the following soldier would be most welcome;

Joseph [CWGC have just “J”] GIBBONS age about 34

Private in the King’s Shropshire Light Infantry 1st Bn

Service no. 20131 [formerly 56435 R.F.A. ???]

“Died of wounds” 05/03/1916

Ypres Reservoir Cemetery (I B 27) NWof Ieper (Ypres)

Used by fighting units and Field Ambulances from 1915.

Husband of Mary Gibbons, 44 Lower Byrom St, Manchester.

Father of 3 and wife expecting.

In The Manchester Village: Deansgate Remembered (Neil Richardson, 1995), Doris Brack is quoted as saying ,about her uncle Joseph Gibbons (my father’s cousin) “I remember my mother crying so very, very bitterly. Joe’s wife got the telegram which just said ’Missing, believed killed’, and there was no other communication, that was it. He had three young children and his wife was pregnant. They lived on Byrom Street opposite our pub and I remember he came home on leave in the early part of 1916 before he went into that battle where he was killed. He had joined early on and he was in the Royal Field Artillery [later in the King’s Shropshire Light Infantry]; I remember seeing him in his riding breeks and a soft cap. He had been an altar boy at St Mary’s [Mulberry Street] and before the war he worked for the Lighting Department of Manchester Corporation, going round with a stick, lighting the lamps.”

We cannot find his descendants but hope the 1921 census will help!

It would be good to know details of his death.

Thanks

Any information about the following soldier would be most welcome;

Joseph [CWGC have just “J”] GIBBONS age about 34

Private in the King’s Shropshire Light Infantry 1st Bn

Service no. 20131 [formerly 56435 R.F.A. ???]

“Died of wounds” 05/03/1916

Ypres Reservoir Cemetery (I B 27) NWof Ieper (Ypres)

Used by fighting units and Field Ambulances from 1915.

Husband of Mary Gibbons, 44 Lower Byrom St, Manchester.

Father of 3 and wife expecting.

In The Manchester Village: Deansgate Remembered (Neil Richardson, 1995), Doris Brack is quoted as saying ,about her uncle Joseph Gibbons (my father’s cousin) “I remember my mother crying so very, very bitterly. Joe’s wife got the telegram which just said ’Missing, believed killed’, and there was no other communication, that was it. He had three young children and his wife was pregnant. They lived on Byrom Street opposite our pub and I remember he came home on leave in the early part of 1916 before he went into that battle where he was killed. He had joined early on and he was in the Royal Field Artillery [later in the King’s Shropshire Light Infantry]; I remember seeing him in his riding breeks and a soft cap. He had been an altar boy at St Mary’s [Mulberry Street] and before the war he worked for the Lighting Department of Manchester Corporation, going round with a stick, lighting the lamps.”

We cannot find his descendants but hope the 1921 census will help!

It would be good to know details of his death.

Thanks

Hi

Joseph Gibbons would have transferred to the K.S.L.I. around May/June 1915. I can not find him in the 1915 Star medal roll, so he must of landed in France some time between the start of 1916 and his death.

I am 99.9% he was wounded on 05-03-16 when a shell drops into "A" Companies Dugouts in Dry Switch (which is in Ypres near the Convent), wounding four men one of whom dies during the day, this as to be Pte. Gibbons there is no one else who fits the bill.

Annette

Hi Martin

I have a few plus the museum do have more now as I took them a box full a couple of weeks ago. I do not know which battalion your grandfather, Dan Wrench Shallcross was in yet, I have not got around to looking at the roll that contains his number, I am hoping the medal rolls will go on line one day and save me any more trips down to London (which I have stopped at moment). I have not come across his name in the casulty lists that appear in my local paper but saying that I do know that men are missing from these lists. Could you please tell me where your grandfather came from so I can add this info. to my databse.

Do you know if you have a Wilfred, Shallcross in your family ? he was formerly in Cheshire Regt. and transferred to the K.S.L.I. serving in the 6th & 1st Battalions, he was wounded in mid 1918.

Annette

Hi Annette,

Many thanks for the prompt reply.

I hope to be in Shrewsbury next month so will try and buy your book at the museum. If not, I'll have to find some way to get one directly from you.

Dan was from either Weaverham or Northwich, a clerk in an "Alkali Works" both before and after the war.

I have no record of a Wilfrid Shallcross in the family but I'll check with my brother who knows more of these things than I do.

There aren't that many of us so we're probably all related somehow. The name originates in the Cheshire/Derbyshire area, so Wilfrid being originally in the Cheshires makes sense.

Martin

Hi Annette,

5th Battalion, KSLI

Could you help ? I am trying to find out the circumstances of my great-grandfathers death in action on 18th March 1917 - William Jelley (No. 20843) of King's Langley, Hertfordshire. Family folklore says he was killed by a direct hit from a shell and has no known grave. He is listed on the Arras memorial.

Also, I would be interested to know the movements of the 5th Btn at the time and their whereabouts, if you have any details. I'm finding it difficult to get details on the 5th as they seem less well served than the other KSLI battalions in terms of NA and Shropshire records...

Many thanks, Rob

Hi Martin

I have sent you a PM about the book.

Annette

Hi Annette,

5th Battalion, KSLI

Could you help ? I am trying to find out the circumstances of my great-grandfathers death in action on 18th March 1917 - William Jelley (No. 20843) of King's Langley, Hertfordshire. Family folklore says he was killed by a direct hit from a shell and has no known grave. He is listed on the Arras memorial.

Also, I would be interested to know the movements of the 5th Btn at the time and their whereabouts, if you have any details. I'm finding it difficult to get details on the 5th as they seem less well served than the other KSLI battalions in terms of NA and Shropshire records...

Many thanks, Rob

Hi Rob

I do not have the 5th Battalion's war diary but can tell you from the Regimental History that they were holding H Sector near Ronville, Arras. On the 18th March 1917, the Battalion suspected the Germans had withdrawn from the line in front of them. Patrols found the Germans had withdrawn from three lines, these lines were promptly occupied. The Germans shelled their old lines for several days after.

Annette

Hi Rob

I do not have the 5th Battalion's war diary but can tell you from the Regimental History that they were holding H Sector near Ronville, Arras. On the 18th March 1917, the Battalion suspected the Germans had withdrawn from the line in front of them. Patrols found the Germans had withdrawn from three lines, these lines were promptly occupied. The Germans shelled their old lines for several days after.

Annette

Hi Annette,

Many thanks for this - it's the first tangible lead I've had so far !

Regards, Rob

Hi Annette,

Sorry to bother you but do you have in your database any record of Pte Harry Ford 13105 KSLI. A friend is trying to find out more about there Grandfather, I know the number is correct and he had been born in 1896 in they believe Barnstaple.

From what I can ascertain I believe that his number is a 1st Battalion number but that is only by comparing some numbers of Dawley casualties whose regt numbers fall quite closely too his other than that I have nothing yet, hence my request from the KSLI expert.

It will soon be March !

Dave

Hi Dave

Your friend is in luck 13105 Pte. Henry Ford's papers are on Ancestry (I think under pensions). According to his Attestation he was born in Tiverton, Devon and at time of joining lived at 23 Roll St., Canton, Cardiff and at some point later moved to 145 Wellington St., Canton.

Brief details -He enlisted at Cardiff on 1st September 1914 and posted to the 8th Battalion on 14th Sept 1914 with whom he stayed until 23rd May 1918, when he was posted back to UK. After short spell with the 3rd Battalion he was sent to France on 23rd September 1918 and at first posted to the 10th Battalion but reposted a couple of days later to the 1st Battalion.

If you nor your friend have Ancestry send me PM.

I am looking forward to the Staffs Pals visit to the Somme in March, I have been Google Earthing the places I am thinking of walking, roll on March :)

Annette

Hi

I am trying to find some information on my G Grandfather Joseph John Bradford born in 1898.

I am aware that he served with the KSLI but I am not sure which Battalion or where he served. His regimental number is 17999. I have been informed that he also served with the Royal Engineers, his regimental number then changed to 348804.

I have no idea why he transferred so would be interested to find out why.

Thankyou for your time

Hi

I am trying to find some information on my G Grandfather Joseph John Bradford born in 1898.

I am aware that he served with the KSLI but I am not sure which Battalion or where he served. His regimental number is 17999. I have been informed that he also served with the Royal Engineers, his regimental number then changed to 348804.

I have no idea why he transferred so would be interested to find out why.

Thankyou for your time

Hi Ben0239

I do not have a lot on him, the Silver War Badge roll records the following-

enlisted on the 20th May 1915

Entered battlefield on 8th Dec. 1915

Discharged on 19th March 1918 aged 22.

He is reported wounded in my local paper (the Ludlow Advertiser 4th November 1916).

I am not sure the R.E. medal rolls record the Battalion of original units you would best posting a new thread in the Units section of the forum to see if anyone interested in the R.E. can confirm this or not also I do not have enough data on the R.E. to say when he transferred to them.

While I do not have the Battalion he served in I think I know which one it is but you must bear in mind that this is only a guess on my part going by the date of entery into France and from other men who are reported wounded in the same addition of the Ludlow Advertiser. First of all the men in my datedase who landed in France on the 7th/8th Dec 1915 were posted to the 1st Battalion. Secondly I have been working on the casualty lists in my local paper but this work is no way finished nor is it 100% proof of when a man was wounded because men were missed of lists and added to lists days or even weeks latter. Anyway the list that Joseph John Bradford appears in points to 1st Battalion men killed and wounded between the 16th & 20th September 1916 (mostly on the 18th). On the 18th September 1916 the 1st Battalion capture a strong point near Ginchy know as the Quadrilateral, I am hoping to visit the area in March :)

Good luck with your search and if you find out for definat which Battalion he was in could you let me know, also if you have any info. on where he came from would be great thanks.

Annette

Hi Dave

Your friend is in luck 13105 Pte. Henry Ford's papers are on Ancestry (I think under pensions). According to his Attestation he was born in Tiverton, Devon and at time of joining lived at 23 Roll St., Canton, Cardiff and at some point later moved to 145 Wellington St., Canton.

Brief details -He enlisted at Cardiff on 1st September 1914 and posted to the 8th Battalion on 14th Sept 1914 with whom he stayed until 23rd May 1918, when he was posted back to UK. After short spell with the 3rd Battalion he was sent to France on 23rd September 1918 and at first posted to the 10th Battalion but reposted a couple of days later to the 1st Battalion.

If you nor your friend have Ancestry send me PM.

I am looking forward to the Staffs Pals visit to the Somme in March, I have been Google Earthing the places I am thinking of walking, roll on March :)

Annette

Thank you very much for the info Annette, I will forward the info on and find out about Ancestry.

Like you looking forward very much to the Somme in March with the South Staffs Pals, I will be in touch with final details when known.

Dave

On 28/09/2012 at 06:52, 6th Shropshires said:

Hi Jim

I do not have a lot on Pte. 22477 James William Reeves, Soldiers Died records he enlisted at Wolverhampton but does not record where he born or resided.

I am not sure when he enlisted but from info. on other men near his Regimental number can say he was mobilised around about the 3rd March 1916.

On the 18th August 1916 the 7th K.S.L.I. were placed under orders of 76th Brigade and ordered to support the 10th R.W.F.(Regimental history incorrectly records 13th R.W.F.) in an attack on the German Line near Maltzhorn Farm, S-E of Montauban. The 10th R.W.F. swept over the southern part of Lonely Trench and some reached the road beyond but troops on the left flank could make little progress leaving their left flank in the air. The 10th R.W.F. were attacked from this flank and forced back. The 76th Brigade's line was heavily shelled during the evening. During the early hours of the 19th August a 3rd Division Staff Officer carried out a reconnaissance of German line and found the Germans in front of the 76th Brigade had withdrawn to the Falfemont Farm-Wedge Wood line, the 7th K.S.L.I. were detailed to take Lonely Trench which they did, this Trench was renamed Shropshire Trench.

If you have any info. on where James William Reeves was born or resided I would be greatful to know.

Annette

Dear Annette,

Apologies for the delay in responding. James was born in Albrighton, Near Wolverhampton. My wife has traced their ancestors back to about 1770 in Shropshire (i.e. in the Albrighton / Acton Burnell area). I have his service medals and papers. I have tracked his movements and been to see the Maltz Hord farm site this year. I also have trench maps of the area - I intend to fully document this. I have the done some searching on the internet and found the following bits of information:

a) In total there were 42 soldiers who died on this day. Soldiers of KSLI who died on 18/08/2012 and are buried in the Guillemont Rd CWG Cemetry area as follows:

1. EDWARDS SYDNEY United Kingdom Private 22440 King's Shropshire Light Infantry18/08/1916 Age: 21 VIII. L. 7.

2. MIDDLETON W T United Kingdom Private 19857 King's Shropshire Light Infantry18/08/1916 Age: 24 IX. B. 2.

3. MILLIN C R United Kingdom Private 9376 King's Shropshire Light Infantry18/08/1916 XIV. D. 7.

4. O'BRIEN W United Kingdom Private 6081 King's Shropshire Light Infantry18/08/1916 XI. L. 8.

5. CHURMS F H United Kingdom Corporal 16331 King's Shropshire Light Infantry18/08/1916 Age: 20 X. G. 2.

http://www.inmemories.com/Cemeteries/guillemontroad.htm

B) "The Middle Parts of Fortune" by Frederic Manning (also by the title 'Her Privates We') is a fictional account of the 7th KSLI. There is an interesting internet article that states that the action fought by the 7th Shropshire's on the 18th-19th August is the same action that is described in the opening chapter of the novel. (Follow the link for more info:

action my great uncle died in. It is a great book anyway, but when I found this out I read it again straight away and it takes on a whole new dimension.

Kind regards

Jim

Hi Annette

I am gobsmacked that you have been able to provide me with so much information. I am hugely impressed.

I was aware that my g grandfather was injured during the war. I believe he had shrapnel in his leg. My nan informs me that he had 45 operations in his leg, the last of which killed him in 1945.

All the information I have got suggests that he was from Woolhope in Hereford, however his brother Walter Bradford who joined the war Feb 2nd 1917 enlisted from Stafford. On his initial forms he states that he wishes to join the KSLI possibly because of his brothers influence. Unfortunately Walter never made it to France as he was struck down by flu and died two weeks later in an Army hospital in Bradford. Until last year the whole family believed he had dies in France until I managed to find his grave in a church yard near to where I live.

The death of his brother and my g grandfathers injury may have led him to transfer to the engineers.

Is it possible to get a copy of the Ludlow paper where he is mentioned.

Thankyou for all your help

Hi Jim

I was in Wenlock yesterday playing hockey :)

The Middle Parts of Fortune" by Frederic Manning (also by the title 'Her Privates We')
I have both and have to say it's one the best books on the life of Soldiers. I do not think it follows the 7th K.S.L.I.'s movements to a T, and is not in order by date, I did work on matching the book with what the Regimental History says but then decided I would check with the Battalion War Diary first before I drew a conclusion (that was 10 years or more ago and I still have not looked at the 7th's diary, too busy with the 1st and 2nd Battalions). I have seen your PM and will PM you later for tomorrow, as I have a lot on today with one thing and another.

Annette

Hi Ben0239

Thanks for info. on your great grandfather. I can not get a copy of the Ludlow Advertiser because the librury does not have a machine that can photo the file, I have to write it all down by hand and it as taken me months to go through it all, some lists have 400 + names :) The Collins Wood (not sure if thats correct name ?) librury would be the best place to contact, I think that's where the Ludlow Librury got theirs from his name would also be in The Times as they would have got full lists from the Army before the regional papers.

Annette

Hi Annette,

I am researching the men of the Bracknell area who fell in WWI and have three who served in the Shropshire L.I. Would you be kind enough to send me extracts from the War Diaries around the time of their death please?

My e-mail is aradgick@btinternet.com

'My' men are:

Pte Ernest Charles Gambriel, 10792, 7th Battalion, DOW 19/9/18

Pte John Herbert Merrett, 27251, 1st Battalion, KIA 22/3/18

Pte Stanley Arthur Smith, 28384, 1/4th Battalion, DOW 7/5/18

Regards,

Andrewr

Hey Annette,

I am trying to trace as much information with regards to my GGF. I believe he may have been transferred to the 7th Bttn from the RAMC due to the Army (Transfers) Act of 1915. I know he was in the 7th at around the 26th of Feb 1916 as he, and his 3 brothers, are in the local (to them) paper - The Lowestoft Journal. One of my brothers had done a bit of digging a few years ago, and beleived his death was during the St Eloi Craters action. His medal card states a date of entry as 10/12/15.

His details (taken from the CWGC are:

20048 Baldry, Henry William - Acting L/Cpl 7th Bttn King's (Shropshire Light Infantry). KIA 3/4/16. Commemorated on Menin Gate

Many thanks in advance.

Hi Ben0239

I do not have a lot on him, the Silver War Badge roll records the following-

enlisted on the 20th May 1915

Entered battlefield on 8th Dec. 1915

Discharged on 19th March 1918 aged 22.

He is reported wounded in my local paper (the Ludlow Advertiser 4th November 1916).

I am not sure the R.E. medal rolls record the Battalion of original units you would best posting a new thread in the Units section of the forum to see if anyone interested in the R.E. can confirm this or not also I do not have enough data on the R.E. to say when he transferred to them.

While I do not have the Battalion he served in I think I know which one it is but you must bear in mind that this is only a guess on my part going by the date of entery into France and from other men who are reported wounded in the same addition of the Ludlow Advertiser. First of all the men in my datedase who landed in France on the 7th/8th Dec 1915 were posted to the 1st Battalion. Secondly I have been working on the casualty lists in my local paper but this work is no way finished nor is it 100% proof of when a man was wounded because men were missed of lists and added to lists days or even weeks latter. Anyway the list that Joseph John Bradford appears in points to 1st Battalion men killed and wounded between the 16th & 20th September 1916 (mostly on the 18th). On the 18th September 1916 the 1st Battalion capture a strong point near Ginchy know as the Quadrilateral, I am hoping to visit the area in March :)

Good luck with your search and if you find out for definat which Battalion he was in could you let me know, also if you have any info. on where he came from would be great thanks.

Annette

Annette,

Where can I find information regarding where he enlisted?

Ben