Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Shropshire Light Infantry

Annette Burgoyne

Hi Annette

I see the original post you made is quite old now. However I have an ancestor who served with the KSLI as a runner during the War. He died in Belgium in 1916. His name is Olave Charles Petersen b1895. I know a bit about him that I would be happy to share. I also wondered if you knew anything about him and also if you have come across many photos during your research.

Kind Regards Mary

Hi Mary

Can I just check I have the correct man because my details differ to yours firstly the spelling of his name I have Oliver Charles, Peterson, and secondly I have the date of his death as 05-09-17 not 1916 ?

Annette

Sorry I meant 1917! Yes I have been told his name is recorded as Oliver. It has also been recorded on the memorial wall at Guarlford church as Olaf but his birth is registered with the spelling Olave.

Thanks Mary

also the correct spelling for his surname is Petersen but I know it has sometimes been recorded as Peterson

Hi Annette,

Back in Nov 2010, you kindly responded to a post that I made about an ancestor, William PALMER, who served with 5 then 7 KSLI, and died of wounds on the Somme, probably after the Battle of Bazentin Ridge, on 15 July 1916. I have just returned from France, and have pictures of William's grave in Carnoy Cemetery. I am happy to share them with you or anyone else who may be interested.

Having now seen the site, I am now pretty clear that William was wounded during the documented fighting on 14 July, and was one of those who died of his wounds, at the field hospital set up above the village of Carnoy, the following day.

Best wishes

Jane

Sorry I meant 1917! Yes I have been told his name is recorded as Oliver. It has also been recorded on the memorial wall at Guarlford church as Olaf but his birth is registered with the spelling Olave.

Thanks Mary

also the correct spelling for his surname is Petersen but I know it has sometimes been recorded as Peterson

Hi Mary

I will put a note with his details to say his birth cert. records his name as Olave Charlies Petersen.

I have not come across a photo of him, ShropshireMad (Neil) may have, he and Phil have spent many many hours looking through newspapers and collecting info. on men from Shropshire plus on men from other counties who served in the K.S.L.I.

I am guessing you have C.W.G.C. info. You know he was a runner (I have that info. in my database, but do not know were I got that from, in the early days of starting my research I never took notes of where info. came from I was only doing it for my own interest and never thought about making such notes, anyway the info I have was from a letter sent to Olave's anty, saying how he died, if you do not have this I will pass on full text of letter).

You may or may not have following -He enlisted at Ledbury, Herefordshire, possibly on the 2nd September 1914 (I have downloaded papers of chap next to his number, 12101 Pte Ward, who also enlisted at Ledbury). Olave was sent to the 6th Battalion and landed with them around 22nd/23rd July 1915 (the war diary records the Battalion landing over these date but the medal roll gives date has 24th, this is the case of 98% of the original members, not sure why).

At some point he moved to the 5th Battalion, to date I have come across his name in any wounded lists but I still have some that I have not looked at, then again he may have left the 6th Battalion for other reasons.

I do not have much on where the 5th Battalion where on 5th September 1917, the Regiment History records they were in support, north of Messines.

If you do have any info. that I have not I would be greatful of it, thanks.

Annette

Hi Annette,

Back in Nov 2010, you kindly responded to a post that I made about an ancestor, William PALMER, who served with 5 then 7 KSLI, and died of wounds on the Somme, probably after the Battle of Bazentin Ridge, on 15 July 1916. I have just returned from France, and have pictures of William's grave in Carnoy Cemetery. I am happy to share them with you or anyone else who may be interested.

Having now seen the site, I am now pretty clear that William was wounded during the documented fighting on 14 July, and was one of those who died of his wounds, at the field hospital set up above the village of Carnoy, the following day.

Best wishes

Jane

Hi Jane

Glad you visited his grave, I would be please to see photos. I visited the area myself last year and looked over the ground the 7th Battalion would have crossed, I had planned to walk over it but did not have time in the end due to walking over other sites, I hope to fit it in next visit plus Carnoy.

Annette

Hi Annette. Thanks for reply. Yes I have his C.W.C.G info. A man has also offered to take a photo of his grave for me when he is in Belgium end of Oct! I don't think I have anymore info than you regards to his military time. I got some extra info from the Guarlford History Group website as he is remembered on the wall at the Guarlford Church (nr Malvern). If you look at the lest we forget section you will see it. Note that the d.o.b they give is 1893 but this is incorrect. Another Olave was born this year, who would have been his older brother but died as a baby. This Olave was born 1895.

Do you have a copy of the original letter to his aunt? I would love to see it! If not I will be more than happy with the opportunity to read the full text. The aunt you speak of is my g g grandmother, who raised Olave from a young age.

Thanks for all your help

Mary

I can't seem to send Shropshiremad a pm or contact him through his website, but thanks for the tip I'll keep trying.

Mary

Attached is a picture of the grave of Private William PALMER, 7th Battalion KSLI, No 16501, who died on the Somme on 15 July 1916.post-60308-0-33046600-1380289197_thumb.j

I can't seem to send Shropshiremad a pm or contact him through his website, but thanks for the tip I'll keep trying.

Mary

Hi Mary,

I've cleared some space in my inbox,

Neil

Annette

Trust the hockey is going well. Aimee is just doing school team!

I will be taking the photo for Mary in October - do you want a copy? I will be in and around Ypres for a few days, so if you need any pics, let me know.

Oliver (Olave) records did not survive so we only have CWGC, SDGW and MIC to go on.

Cheers

Steve

Hi Mary,

I've cleared some space in my inbox,

Neil

Sorry Neil, I still can't seem to get a message to you. If you've read the last few posts you'll see who I am trying to find out about. Do you have any additional information and or a photo? I would really love to hear of any findings regarding Olave.

Many Thanks Mary

Sorry to post this here Annette!

Annette, just another quick note but Steve said that at the time of his death the 5th battalion were in the front line in the area of Wambeke.

Mary

Hi Mary

I only have info. from the Regimental History, which is not always correct but according to it, the 5th Battalion marched to a camp in the Neuve Eglise area on the 1st September and next day to support lines immediately north of Messines in relief of the 18th Manchesters. On the 6th September the Battalion relieved the 9th K.R.R.C. (I think I have the K.R.R.C. Chronicals for 1917, will have a lot for it) in the front line.

Hi Steve

Thanks for offer of pics, which sites will you be visiting. As for hockey Naomi got to Tier 1 this year, off up to Nottingham on Sunday, well hopefully, my car as broken down yet again, and I am not sure how I am going to get her their, so may end up not going :(

Hi Jane

Attached is a picture of the grave of Private William PALMER, 7th Battalion KSLI, No 16501, who died on the Somme on 15 July 1916.attachicon.gifDSC03897.JPG

Thanks for photo.

Annette

Thanks Annette, thats great. Hope you saw my earlier post saying how I would love to see a copy of the letter or if not, see the content of it.

Thanks again

Mary

Thanks Annette, thats great. Hope you saw my earlier post saying how I would love to see a copy of the letter or if not, see the content of it.

Thanks again

Mary

I know there was something else I had to add :blink: I do not have a copy of the letter just the transcript of the letter as follows - "It is with the greatest sorrow that I have to report to you the death of your nephew, Pte O C Peterson. He was unfortunately killed by a shell early in the morning. His death mercifully was painless and I personally saw him buried. A cross has been erected to his memory. Pte Peterson was attached to my Head Quarters as a Company Runner. He was a man who could be thoroughly trusted with an important message and his courage at all times was splendid. Please accept my deepest sympathy in your trouble."

I just wish I had made a note where I got this from because I would like to find out which officer wrote this.

Also I have had a look at the K.R.R.C. Chronicle, it records that the 9th K.R.R.C. also relieve the 18th Manchesters at 5.45 a.m. on the 2nd September, who were in support to the Brigade holding sector from the River Douve, on the left ??, to the left of Blawepout Beek on the right (I am sure the Chronicle has got this wrong because on a map I looked at on-line the River Douve is on right and the Blauwe poort Beek is on the left <_< Can anyone confirm if this is correct or not ?

Anyway back to Chronicle it goes on to say the 9th K.R.R.C. go into front line on same night (2nd). It records the Battalion remain here for four days, so that would mean they were relieved on night of 6th, which matches what the K.S.L.I. Regimental History records but the only way to know for sure is to check with the 5th K.S.L.I. War Diary, Andy a forum member is looking to obtain a copy of the diary and he is a very helpful member.

Annette

Thanks so much Annette for all the info. Its sad to read the letter that was sent, but comforting to know this little bit of his history remains.

Thanks again for your time

Best Wishes

Mary

Thanks so much Annette for all the info. Its sad to read the letter that was sent, but comforting to know this little bit of his history remains.

Thanks again for your time

Best Wishes

Mary

It is sad to read such letters and think of the mans relatives reading it, my grandfather told me how his own gran received the news that one of her boys had been killed, she just walked backs and forwards crying my boy my boy, has a mother myself of two soldier boys (well one now, one is in civies now) it breaks me to thinking about it.

Annette

• 2 months later...

Dear SR

Have you managed to find any information regarding Private, Michael Mulhare, 14611, 7TH KSLI killed-in-Action BATTLE OF BAZENTINE RIDGE 14th July 1916, I myself are researching soldiers of the Shropshire L.I., and would like to find a newspaper obituary for Michael, do you know the address of the local library or archive to Ballylough near Rosscommon, any help or leads would very much appriciated

cheers Phil

Hi Phil,

sorry for the slow response. I haven't been on the board in a while.

I am not aware of an obituary. The local newspaper which is currently still running is the Roscommon Herald http://www.roscommonherald.ie/ so you could possibly try there. The local library is in Roscommon town http://www.roscommoncoco.ie/en/Services/Library/.

Michael's nephew is still alive and I will probably meet him around the New Year. I will ask if there is any documentation or records that he is aware off.

regards

SR

Dear SR

Thank you very much for the link very good of you, if you do manage to find out more regarding

Michael Mulhare please let me know

all the best and happy xmas

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

Dear SR

Thank you very much for the link very good of you, if you do manage to find out more regarding

Michael Mulhare please let me know

all the best and happy xmas

Phil

Hi Phil,

I checked with Michael's nephew this week. There is no obituaries or other documentation of which he is aware. The family have a photograph and campaign medals but no other memorabilia.

regards

SR

Cheers SR

Very good of you to help could you possibly send me a copy of the photo of Michael

would appriciate

happy new year PHIL

• 4 weeks later...

Cheers SR

Very good of you to help could you possibly send me a copy of the photo of Michael

would appriciate

happy new year PHIL

I will ask the question when I am next in Roscommon. It might be another month or more. For reference, are you planning to publish your research or what? I will be asked the question :)

regards

SR

Hi SR

Do you mind asking if its ok for me to have a copy of the photo of Michael to add to my database of K.S.L.I. men (I am also adding photos of the K.S.L.I. men that I have to my Facebook page in memory of the K.S.L.I. over the next few years).

Last year I visited the top and bottom ends of the ridge the 7th K.S.L.I. advanced up on the 14th July and this April I am hoping to walk over the fields that they passed over or if there are crops on it I will get as close as possible to the line they took. If Michael's nephew want's any photos of the Battlefield let me know (I did take a few last year but hoping to get better shots this next visit).

Annette

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gordon

I did not have your grandfather in my database but have now entered his details. I have not got around to looking at the medal roll that contains his number yet. There are at least two other men near his number who transfarred from the Dragoon Guards they are 25805 James, Lyons (formerly 6942 DG) and 2806 Ernest F., Mewett (formerly 10508 DG). I only have a few mens service papers near your grandfathers number, which point to him moving to K.S.L.I. some time between Feb & May 1917 but I would liked to have more mens papers to be more sure of this. Sorry I could not be of more help.

Annette

Annette,

Been a couple of years since I have had the time to do any research on my grandfather & I wondered if you had come across him at all in that time.

His full descriptions were - 6687 SJT H Wake 7th Dragoon Guards, 5410 Constable Wake Royal North West Mounted Police, 25807 SJT. H. Wake. K.S.L.I. (his full name was Herbert Arthur Wake - sometimes known as "Bert").

Gordon