Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Shropshire Light Infantry

Annette Burgoyne

Hi Andy

This soldier fits the bill- 8664 Pte. Alfred Leo., Cater who enlisted on 11th Nov 1907 and landed in France with the 2nd Battalion on 21st December 1914. His Silver War Badge roll entry records that he was wounded but does not say when. He was discharge from the Army on 18th April 1916. I do not have any other information on this man, do you have any information on where your grandfather was born or resided, so I can add this to my database.

Annette

Thank you very much Annette for your very prompt reply.

Alfred was born in Surrey Grove, Walworth, London on 14th July 1888. After his military service he returned to the Walworth area and at the time of his marriage in March 1918 was working as a cabman. Like many ex-servicemen he struggled with unemployment in the 1920s but eventually found work with the Home Office. Ironically, for a veteran of India he died of a combination of sunstroke and malaria at Barlow Street, Walworth in 1934.

As far as I know, apart from his time in the regiment, he lived around Walworth and Southwark for his whole life so it's a bit of a mystery how he came to be in the Shropshire Light Infantry. I believe he may have been a sergeant at one point in his career but was reduced back to the ranks for fighting while drunk. Would the regiment hold records of disciplinary matters like that?

Hi Andy

Thanks for info on your grandfather, I am not surprized he was from London, there are a lot of Londoners near his number, the Regiment seems to have had recruting drives from time to time in set places around the Country.

I believe he may have been a sergeant at one point in his career but was reduced back to the ranks for fighting while drunk. Would the regiment hold records of disciplinary matters like that?

I would say they did keep disciplinary records but I do not know if they still around, but I doubt they are. If your grandfathers service papers survived the Blize, then any disciplinary matter would be recorded, I have several thousand mens papers and have not come across your grandfathers but I doubt I have all those records that still excist bound to have a few hundred or so. Also I have seen in medal roll entries where men have been reduced in rank for one think or another but this would only be for the years of the war, if he was reduced before the war I do not think it would be recorded in Great War medal rolls. I have the page of 1914-15 Star roll that hold his name but it does not mention him being reduced in rank, I do not yet have the page of the Victory/British medal rolls that holds his name.

Annette

I have three unidentified photos from my grandfathers album which I'd like help with - the first is attached below. I think this is pre-WW1 and judging by the nose - he's a Taylor and would have been from Shrewsbury.

post-96776-0-10913100-1360440232_thumb.j

Hi Peter

Any chance of first names to narrowing down list ? I have 260 Taylors of which I know 24 came from Shrewsbury (there are dozens who I have have info on where they came from) and I have 8 Batemans, one from Shrewsbury one from Bristol, two from Cheshire and four unknows.

I do not know a lot on uniforms, you may be best to post pics in part of forum that deals with uniforms.

Annette

If it is my great grandfather he was Thomas Taylor born Shrewsbury 1862. If a Bateman then the Shrewsbury one is almost certainly a relation.

Peter

Hi Peter

I do not have a Percy and Albert Bateman in my database, this could be because they did not go overseas so not in medal rolls, or they trained with the K.S.L.I. and transferred to another Regiment/Corps before going overseas so K.S.L.I. would not appear on their medal rolls or they part of the small percentage of man I have not yet come across.

I only have two Thomas Taylors from Shrewsbury (both were killed), I have a lot of Thomas Taylors who I have no idea where they come from :(, sorry can't be of any help.

Are there any clues on the backs photos to point to their ID. There are photos of soldiers in the Shrewsbury & Wellington Journal but not sure if they are only of men who were killed (its been 15 years since I have looked through the Shrewsbury & Wellington Journals (held at Shresbury library).

I will keep my eyes open you never know I may spot their faces one day, also if you come across anythink that may help you ID them for sure let me know. Do you mind me saving your photos and adding them to my collection of K.S.L.I. photos ?

Annette

Annette

Annette,

By all means save the photos. Unfortunately there is nothing written on any of the photos to help identify them. We'll try the 1911 census to see if that helps at all.

Thanks for looking,

Peter

Hi Annette

After a bit of help, please.

There is a 'Samuel' Ricketts on the Walsall RoH but he is actually

Private 6487 Arthur Ricketts, 2nd K.S.L.I., killed in action 16 May 1915 at 32 years of age.

Do you have anything on him at all, please.

He appears to have served for 8 years prior to the war but I am struggling to find him.

(Theres 2 'Arthur Ricketts on FMP from Walsall, one blue eyed and one brown eyed, but no trace of KSLI )

many thanks,

Graeme

Hi Graeme

I have very little info. on Private 6487 Arthur Ricketts, only C.W.G.C. info. which you have and 1914-15 Star Medal Roll info. which records him going overseas on the 18th Feb 1915. And Soldier Died records enlisted at Walsall.

I do not know for sure whether he was a Regular Reserve or Special Reserve, there is another man with same number as Ricketts, and that man landed in France with the 2nd Batt. on 21st Dec 1914

If he was Special Reserve then he would have enlisted in October 1913 but if Regular then he joined around November 1900.

The only other info. I have is where the 2nd Battalion were stationed when he was was killed and that was near the Bellewaarde Lake.

Sorry I do not have more

Annette

Annette,

Alfred John Bateman, born 1895. Enlisted with 4th Batt. KSLI on 8 April 1913. Army number 1800, based at Depot.

Transferred to Military Foot Police on 23 Feb 1917. Demob 20 Sept 1919.

Percy Albert Bateman, born 1897. Enlisted with RAMC on 7 Dec 1915. Transferred to Class W Reserve 5 Feb 1917.

Demob 6 Feb 1919. Seems to have been mainly based at Military Hospital, Chester.

Peter

Hi Peter

I do not have a Percy and Albert Bateman in my database, this could be because they did not go overseas so not in medal rolls, or they trained with the K.S.L.I. and transferred to another Regiment/Corps before going overseas so K.S.L.I. would not appear on their medal rolls or they part of the small percentage of man I have not yet come across.

I only have two Thomas Taylors from Shrewsbury (both were killed), I have a lot of Thomas Taylors who I have no idea where they come from :(, sorry can't be of any help.

Are there any clues on the backs photos to point to their ID. There are photos of soldiers in the Shrewsbury & Wellington Journal but not sure if they are only of men who were killed (its been 15 years since I have looked through the Shrewsbury & Wellington Journals (held at Shresbury library).

I will keep my eyes open you never know I may spot their faces one day, also if you come across anythink that may help you ID them for sure let me know. Do you mind me saving your photos and adding them to my collection of K.S.L.I. photos ?

Annette

Annette

Hi Peter

Do you know Alfred John Bateman papers are on the Ancestry site.

Annette

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Annette - I did spot that both brothers are on there. We have since found a photo of one of them as a child so the identification is pretty solid.

Peter

Hi Annette

Any information on William Henry Jones of Shrewsbury, my mate's grandfather? All I know about him was thar he served in the Shropshires throughout most of the war.

Hello Annette,

I'm currently doing some research on L/Sergeant Herbert John Holley (born John Herbert Joseph Holley) who served with the 5th Service Batt of the Kings Shropshire Light Infantry, Service N° 11227. He was killed in action on the 16th June 1915 as part of the 42nd brigade of the 14th Division during the battle on Bellewaarde. I've done some research on his family history and would now like to find out more about his military service. From his MIC and some other documents found on Ancestry, he enlisted in Shrewsbury some time in 1914 before entering theatre on the 22nd May 1915. He is buried in Plot II Row A Grave 16 in the Perth (China Wall) cemetery in West-Vlaanderen, Belgium. Unfortunately his service do not seem to have survived. I was wondering if you had any additional information on him from your records or if you had a copy of the 5th Batt war diary, I'm interested in the days just before and after his death. Any information at all would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

George

Hi Annette

Any information on William Henry Jones of Shrewsbury, my mate's grandfather? All I know about him was thar he served in the Shropshires throughout most of the war.

Hi David

I have 8 William Henry Jones in my database + several more William H Jones, some can be ruled out because they are from other counties. There is one from Shrewsbury but I have several who I do not know where they come from, if your mate could ask any older family members if they know any details that may help pin point his grandfather, if not I'll just post details of the men by that name (there are also lots of William Jones and he may be one of them because men did not allows give all their christan names).

Annette

Hello Annette,

I'm currently doing some research on L/Sergeant Herbert John Holley (born John Herbert Joseph Holley) who served with the 5th Service Batt of the Kings Shropshire Light Infantry, Service N° 11227. He was killed in action on the 16th June 1915 as part of the 42nd brigade of the 14th Division during the battle on Bellewaarde. I've done some research on his family history and would now like to find out more about his military service. From his MIC and some other documents found on Ancestry, he enlisted in Shrewsbury some time in 1914 before entering theatre on the 22nd May 1915. He is buried in Plot II Row A Grave 16 in the Perth (China Wall) cemetery in West-Vlaanderen, Belgium. Unfortunately his service do not seem to have survived. I was wondering if you had any additional information on him from your records or if you had a copy of the 5th Batt war diary, I'm interested in the days just before and after his death. Any information at all would be much appreciated.

Many Thanks

George

Hi George

I think he enlisted on or near 28th August 1914, the man before his number also came from St. Mary's Shrewsbury and he enlisted on this day.

I do not have the 5th Battalion's diary but I have worked on the Battalion's early days with help of the

Regimental History and other sources.

An advanced party from the 5th Battalion, consisting of three officers and 109 other ranks, and the transport, left Aldershot for Havre on 19th May 1915. The rest of the Battalion left the following day, for Boulogne. The advanced party entrained at Havre on the 20th May, and after a night journey arrived at Pont de Bricque, where the rest of the Battalion joined the train, the train then continued to Cassel. On arrival the Battalion marched to Erkelsbrugge, where it stayed until 27th May. A move was then made to Eecke, and on the 30th May, “A” & “B” Companies, and the transport, proceed to Dickebusch, followed by the rest of the Battalion the next day, and later that day two companies go to dug-outs near Ypres (the Regimental History does not say where). During the night 550 men are sent to work on a new trench at Zillebeke, not far from Hill 60, the Germans had kept up a constant un-aimed fire, killing Sgt. Diss and wounding three others. The neighbourhood of the dug-outs were shelled on the 1st and 2nd June but there were no casualties.

On the 3rd June the Battalion moved to Canada Huts near Dickebusch till the 6th, each nigh it supplied working parties for digging. On the 6th June the Battalion marched to Locre, and that evening “C” and “D” Companies went up past Mount Kemmel to the front line held by the 6th and 8th Battalions Sherwood Foresters, for two days instruction. On the evening of the 8th June “A” & “B” relived the two companies in the line. On the 11th June “A” & “B” Companies returned to Locre, and next day the whole Battalion marched back to Canada Huts, and on the 14th it moved to camp just south of Vlamertinghe.

On the 15th June, the Battalion moved to a position near the Ypres-Roulers railway line, just outside the Ramparts, south-east of Ypres. On the 16th June, the 14th Division were in support of the 3rd Division, who made an attack on Bellewaerde Ridge, Ypres. The 5th K.S.L.I. moved forward down the railway line at 10 o’clock, and as it debouched from the cutting at Hell Fire Corner, it came under heavy shell fire, and was diverted to the right, except for the two leading platoons, who had continued to their correct position, which was a sunken road (possibly near Y Wood ?). The rest of the Battalion, on reaching the high ground near Gordon House, again came under heavy shell fire and forced into a trench near Gordon House (possibly Union Street ?), which they continued down until it reached the low ground near the Menin Road, where it was so crowed with troops from other regiments, no more progress could be made and that night the Battalion was ordered back to where it had started that morning. A few hours after day break on the 17th the Battalion arrived back at Vlamertinghe.

Annette

Hi Annette,

Many thanks for taking the time and trouble in seeking out the information, it will be a great help in my research. Sadly John Herbert's life was cut so short like so many others, being only 24 years old when he died.

If you would like a copy of my research please let me know.

Once again, many thanks

Best regards

George

Annette,

Do you have anything relating to a Frank Cadwallader?

George,

While i'm here you may like this. If i think right Holley's death plaque and scroll were on ebay a sort while ago.

Neil

post-31332-0-63879500-1362263032_thumb.j

Hi Neil,

Many thanks for the info, it will certainly add to my research. Regarding John Herbert's death plaque and scroll, it was me who purchased them, hence the research. John Herbert had 5 older brothers and 7 older sisters, his brothers were George Arthur Francis Holley who died in 1912, William Henry Holley, Thomas Francis Holley, Samuel Leonard Holley and David Noel Holley who died after only 3 or 4 months. During my research, for the moment I can't find any information on William Henry or Thomas Francis Holley after the 1891 census and Samuel Leonard Holley married Martha Lillian Davies in the 4th quarter of 1915. With the info that you have supplied it looks like these are the 3 brothers mentioned in your info who were also in the military and I will now concentrate on finding out a bit more on their military service. By the way, I presume the photo in the newspaper cutting is of John Herbert,? its just that he looks a bit old for 24 years. And just a final question, the newspaper cutting is from which newspaper?

Once again, many thanks

George

George,

I think it is indeed John Herbert Holley.

The article is from the Wellington Journal and Shrewsbury News, June 20th 1915.

Neil

Hi David

I have 8 William Henry Jones in my database + several more William H Jones, some can be ruled out because they are from other counties. There is one from Shrewsbury but I have several who I do not know where they come from, if your mate could ask any older family members if they know any details that may help pin point his grandfather, if not I'll just post details of the men by that name (there are also lots of William Jones and he may be one of them because men did not allows give all their christan names).

Annette

I'm told that this particualr William Henry Jones lived at 7 Farm Cottages, Castlefields, Shrewsbury.

I hope this helps.

David