Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Shropshire Light Infantry

Annette Burgoyne

Hi Annette

I have recently joined this website and see you were asking about the KSLI if you are still interested I will give you details of my Grandfather who served with the regiment.

Yours

Keith H

Hi Keith

Sorry for delay, have not visited GWF for a while, been too busy trying to down load as many K.S.L.I. records before my Ancestry subs come to an end. Any info. you can give would be great thanks.

Annette

Hi Annette

Here are the details of my Grandad. He was born in Herbrandston Pembrokeshire in 1891, at the time of the 1911 census he was living with his parents and sister in Ross Herefordshire and was a waggoner on a farm. Sometime in Jan 1913 he joined the Army and became Pte George Thomas 10173 1st Batt. KSLI. By the time the battalion went to France he was a L/Corp. At some stage he was promoted to Sergeant he was also attached to the 8th Entrenching Battalion for a while before being sent back to the !st Batt. KSLI. fourteeneighteen/research suggest it may have been due to wounds or sickness.

In late 1917 early 1918 he was tranferred to the 137 Company Chinese Labour Corp becoming 512371. Finally in 1919 he was transferred to the East Surrey Regiment becoming L/12221 at the time of his wedding in August 1919 he was still a serving soldier. Fourteeneighteen/research could not find out why he was transferred to the Chinese Labour Corp or why he did not go back to the KSLI after the war. I have made two attempts to obtain his service records from Glasgow, the first time I used his East Surrey number and they had no record of him. In November last year I tried again giving them all his units and service numbers I haven't heard from them so I'm not even sure they received the relevant documents.

I hope this information helps with your database and if you can give me any more information it would be most welcome.

Yours

Keith

Cheers Keith, sadly I do not have anything to add but if I come across anything I will pass it on. I am guessing you know the date he landed in France, as I see from another thread that you have the Battalion war diary.

Again Cheers

Annette

That was for my other Grandad who was in the RAMC attached to the 26th Battery RGA but I do have the 1st Batt. KSLI war diary.

Thanks again

Keith

Hi Annette,

I have just recently stumbled across this site and your incredible posts regarding the KSLI.

My Grandfather was a member of this regiment, having enlisted at Bury, Lancashire in 1902.

His name was James Henry Crompton, however he enlisted as James Crompton, dropping his middle name.

He was allocated the number 7050, and enisted at the same time as his cousin, William Maguire, who was given the number 7049.

Both of them went on to serve during WW1, and I have some details of their service with the Regiment. Unfortunately, I do not know which Battalions they served with and I am hoping you may be able to help.

James was wounded in 1915, and spent some time convalescing in Blackpool before rejoining the regiment, and serving once again in India.

Living as I do in South Australia, it is impossible for me to visit the NA, and consequently have not been able to view the relevant Medal Rolls.

I have attached a photograph of James which may be of interest.

post-71373-0-98648900-1305263811.jpgLook forward to hearing from you in the near future.

Best Regards,

Wayne Crompton

Email me

Hi Annette,

Here is another photo that you may be interested in, James Crompton (sitting) and unknown comrade taken about 1914 - 1915. Maybe someone might recognize the soldier standing. If so, I would be very grateful for the information.

Best Regards,

Wayne.

post-71373-0-29435600-1305696371.jpg

Hi Wayne

I will email you later but quick reply here both James and William are likely to have been with Army Reserve by start of war, being called up on 5th August (most of the K.S.L.I. Army Reservists were called up on 5th). Both were posted to the 1st Battalion K.S.L.I. on 9th November 1914. I am 99% James was wounded on 9th August 1915 at Hooge (his names is recorded in Ludlow Advertiser on 17th August 1915 along with all the others wounded and killed on or very near the 9th Augugh). James went on to be trans. to South Lancs with No. 40804 on or near 27-05-17 (I have papers of another K.S.L.I. man who was trans to South Lancs with No 40807).

William medal roll records discharged but gives no date, I found from other men's records that he is likely to have been discharged T. of E. around September-October 1915 (but he may have gone on later into war)

Annette

• 2 months later...

Annette,

do you have any information on 12115 Pte Edward James Kelly of the 8th Btn? I have the CWGC details and the SDGW details. I know that he was born in Clun, lived in Aston on Clun and his parents lived at Brakes Cottage, Downton, Ludlow. Have you come across any newspaper articles about him during your research? There might be an article in the Shropshire press around September 1917.

Anything that you can tell me would be appreciated.

Simon.

Hi Simon

Sorry for delay but been away. I do not have much more to add but can tell you from other men's records that he enlisted early September 1914. He went overseas on the 24th July 1915 with the 6th Battalion but I do not know when he moved to 8th Batt.

I am going through the Ludlow Advertiser when I get the time but this is on and off and I and only up until August 1915, also I am only looking at the pages that cover war, so may miss any family stuff entered. It will be many months before I get to late 1917 and I'll never remember to contact you if I find any like. I can only suggest you PM me in a few months to see how I am progressing through the paper.

Annette

Annette,

Many thanks for checking your records for me. I might have a look at the local newspapers myself the next time I am in Ludlow. I presume that they are on microfilm; are they at the library?

Simon.

Hi Simon

Yes they are on microfilm; and held at the library but there is only one reader, so best to ring up and see if you can book it.

Annette

hello im researching william thomas avis KSLI i think he was in the 8th battalion and then went onto salonika and fought there i would appreciate any info you might have i have all his papers but cannot read them properly i can give a link in my next post if you would like

kind regards Rickalan

Hi all

Most of the Pals will know that I am compiling a database of all the men who joined the Kings Shropshire Light Infantry (Great War only) but many new Pals may not be aware of this. Any information would be greatfully received. Also willing to do look ups for anyone with K.S.L.I. interest.

One day when finished I will make the database available to Library service or who ever can make best use of it.

Annette

hello im researching william thomas avis KSLI i think he was in the 8th battalion and then went onto salonika and fought there i would appreciate any info you might have i have all his papers but cannot read them properly i can give a link in my next post if you would like

kind regards Rickalan

Hi,

My GGFather, Wilfred Silburn, was in the King Shropshire Light. I have a copy of his Medal card which reads

----------------------

Name Corps Rank Regtl Na

SILBURN Shrops L I Pte 13276

W. ilfred

Medal Roll Page Remark

Victory J/1/102 B/5 1196 dis. 14. 12.18

British do di

15 Star J/1/8 B1 262

S.W.B List J/1370/1 shows "WILFRED"

Theatre of War first served in (1) France

Date of Entry Therein 8.4.15

Well it has been quite a long time but I though it was time I posted Wilfred's service record

• Wilfred SILBURN, 13276, a Private throughout the war.
  • Joined the KSLI 7th September 1914 in Pembroke Dock and posted to the Depot in Shrewsbury.
  • He was a Geordie, born in West Hartlepool and happened to be in Permbroke Dock working for Hawthorn and Leslie, a Tyneside Ship builder, at the start of the war.
  • 14th September 1914 transfers to 8th Battalion KSLI
  • 31st October 1914 transfers to 9th Battalion KSLI which is based in Pembroke Dock
  • 24th January 1915 marries
  • 2nd February 1915 transfers to 3rd Battalion KSLI, then in Edinburgh I believe, presumably for further training to prepare for overseas posting.
  • 7th April 1915 posted to 2nd Battalion KSLI and travels to the front in the Ypres Salient and Polygon Wood.
  • 8th May 1915 wounded during Battle of Frezenberg in 2nd Battle of Ypres. While under heavy shell fire they were counter attacking trenches taken by the Germans.
  • 10th May 1915 treated in 10 General Hospital Rouen for wounds in arm and hand. Finger(s) amputated on right hand.
  • 14th May 1915 transferred to Depot KSLI and is in Fazakerley Hospital in Liverpool
  • 16th June 1915 transferred to the 3rd Battalion KSLI, then located in Pembroke Dock
  • 24th November 1915 transferred to Depot KSLI and is attached to Cammel Laird, shipbuilders in Pembroke Dockyard. He is a marine engine fitter and worked on warships. It makes me wonder if he was on army pay or of a fitter.
  • 14th December 1918 Discharged
  • He received a small pension after the war for a disability which was the amputation of some fingers.

Hi Rickalan

If you could give me his number I'll see if I have his papers, if I do not have his papers could you email then to me. My Ancestry as come to an end yesterday, so can nolong download any men I do not have. I know service/pension paper can be hard to read either because they are damaged or just do not make sense because text is not always recorded in order. Anyway I will do my best to make sense of it for you and add Battalion info. if I have it.

Annette

oh thanks i have a link to some of his papers or would you like for me to email them all to you

https://picasaweb.google.com/116901879111433605708/WilliamThomasAvisLARGE?authkey=Gv1sRgCK7nyoC81JiYCQ

https://picasaweb.google.com/116901879111433605708/WilliamThomasAvisWw1?authkey=Gv1sRgCNvy087YwN-kaw

i think these are all i have

thanks again rickalan

Hi Rickalan

If you could give me his number I'll see if I have his papers, if I do not have his papers could you email then to me. My Ancestry as come to an end yesterday, so can nolong download any men I do not have. I know service/pension paper can be hard to read either because they are damaged or just do not make sense because text is not always recorded in order. Anyway I will do my best to make sense of it for you and add Battalion info. if I have it.

Annette

Hi Dinallt

Since I last posted to you, I have downloaded his papers. In my post back in 2009, I seid Wilfred was 1st Battalion but as you Know his papers record 2nd Battalion not 1st. His medal roll records 1st Battalion, I have come across serveral men now who I believe were orginaly posted to the 1st Battalion but re-posted to the 2nd Batt. at last min and some men's battalion was never amended while other's paper work was corrected, resulting in mistakes in rolls and a small handfull who were killed with 2nd Battalion are recorded as being killed with 1st Battalion.

You record him being wounded on the 8th May. I see his papers give two dates, according to form B.103 it records 7th May, while the Statement to Disability form records the 8th May. Form B103 tends to be the more correct then the Statement to Disability but either date is possible.

Annette

Hi Annette,

I noted the discrepancy but as the 8th May on the Disability form was his recollection and the circumstances matched with the 8th not the 7th according to The History of the King's Shropshire Light Infantry in the Great War, 1914 - 1918. (Major W de B Wood). I went with that one. Also the Casualty Form, B 103, was stamped with O C 2/KSLI WOUNDED IN ACTION 7 MAI 1915 not handwritten and I thought that perhaps the forms had been prestamped in anticipation.

There is also another date difference on the Casualty Form which says he joined on the 5th September 1914 and not the 7th September as on his Attestation.

I've just taken a look at his records again and his enlistment date appears as the 5th of Septemer on another form (Conduct form from the 3rd Bn) as well. Is it possible he was enlisted on the 5th (a Saturday) and Attested and given a medical on the 7th (Monday).

There is also some doubt about the entry

14th September 1914 transfers to 8th Battalion KSLI

because it only appears on one of the Statement of Service forms and not as clear as the other entrie. Possibility of inked through from another form? Perhaps.

Another question if I may which I have asked elsewhere in the Forums.

The recruiting officer gave him 2 days pay, 1 days billeting and ration money, and a rail warrant, (receipt dated the 8th) which covers his travelling from Pembroke to Shrewsbury but he was also given a recruiting reward of 2s 6d. Was this a common practice? I'm guessing he may have joined with some of his work mates also from Tyneside.

Mike

Hi Mike

Last night I looked through the papers of ten or so men who were with 2nd K.S.L.I. and are recorded wounded over the 7th, 8th and 9th May, like Wilfred Silburn several record one date on one form but another on another page. I have found that some times the date of wound is actually date they entered General Hospital. There was one man who's Casualty Form, B 103 is stamped like Wilfred's form O C 2/KSLI WOUNDED IN ACTION 7 MAI 1915, while another is stamped in same way but with 8 MAI. (I have just at a couple of other 2nd Batt. men wounded in May 1915 and their form are stamped in same manner.

On the 7th May a working party from the 2nd Battalion were working on G.H.Q. line at Potijze, the war diary records 12 killed and wounded, now soldiers died & C.W.G.C. record ten 2nd Battalion men killed in action on that day and one died of wounds, so that should leave one man wounded but I have four 2nd Battalion men who's papers record they were wounded on 7th May 1915. I decided, after many years of researching, that dates or infact any information should not be take as gospal :blink:

I will get back to you about the other questions.

Annette

Hi Mike

"There is also another date difference on the Casualty Form which says he joined on the 5th September 1914 and not the 7th September as on his Attestation"

After looking at all his pages, I am sure that he joined on 7th Sept. and that the two entries marked the 5th are mistakes on the part of records clark(s) who made entries.

"There is also some doubt about the entry

14th September 1914 transfers to 8th Battalion KSLI"

He did join the 8th Battalion on the 14th Sept. 1914, meny men either side of his Regimental number are also joined 8th Battalion on joining up.

"The recruiting officer gave him 2 days pay, 1 days billeting and ration money, and a rail warrant, (receipt dated the 8th) which covers his travelling from Pembroke to Shrewsbury but he was also given a recruiting reward of 2s 6d. Was this a common practice? I'm guessing he may have joined with some of his work mates also from Tyneside."

I do not know if this was common practice. And I am not too sure if he joined with mates from Tyneside or Pembroke because numbers 13274 & 13275 joined up at New Radnor, and 13277, 13278 & 13279 joined up at Lanchester. Although I do believe men's papers got jumbled up at records office, so his mates may be a good score or more away ?

Annette

Thanks very much for the information Annette I'll check out a range of numbers close to his and see if I can find anyone else joining on the same day in Pembroke. I naively thought that each recruiting office would be assigned a batch of regimental numbers but it would seem that the numbers are assigned later back at the depot. Have I got that right?

You said you had checked ten men who were also wounded on the 7th, 8th. Could I have their names I'd like to check their records if I may.

There is a Military Cemetery in Pembroke Dock and there are some graves of KSLI men there who died during the war, presumably from natural causes or while training in Pembroke Dock.

http://www.pembrokeshire-war-memorial.co.uk/page54.htm

Mike

Hi Mike

I naively thought that each recruiting office would be assigned a batch of regimental numbers but it would seem that the numbers are assigned later back at the depot. Have I got that right?

I have no proof of this but that is the conclusion I have come to, that a number was issued on or soon after certificate of Approving Officer at the Depot or records office, in most cases Captain Cotton was the Approving Officer (I have a photo of him and his staff).

Here are details of the mens papers I have (there are 12 men who's date of wounds arrange between 6th and 10th May).

15945 Frank, Atkinson

9311 Herbert, Evans

6071 Thomas, Hickman

15942 Richard, Higginson

7294 Richard Breeze, Jones

7086 William, Kenyon

15079 Joseph Thomas, Leonard

8674 Ernest, Mandy

9225 Frederick, Owen

7270 Thomas Horton, Owen

6993 Robert Thomas, Speake

7101 Charles Henry, Stephens

Thanks for the link to Pembroke site.

Thank for the information Annette. I'll enjoy spending a little time searching through those records. I did some checking of numbers around Wilfred's but couldn't find any recruitments at Pembroke. There were quite a few regiments stationed in the area for recruits to choose from and I would imagine many of the local men would have chosen a Welsh regiment. Something else for me to ferret after.

By the way the Pembroke Dock Military Cemetry webpage has a link to the KSLI Memorial in the town. The memorials is located in St John's Church and the page lists approx. 90 names with brief bios.

Mike

The memorials is located in St John's Church and the page lists approx. 90 names with brief bios.

Someone sent me all the names from St John's many years ago, but will follow link just to make sure nothing was missed.

Annette