Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Shropshire Light Infantry

Annette Burgoyne

Hi Jack

Thanks for the photos of Sidney, so sad that he survived the battlesfields only to be take by Spanish flu. What a contrast between the first photo of him and the last, in the few years between the two he looks like he aged by 10 years or more.

I not 100% sure on the time from the award and it appearing in LG, I would say anything from 6 to 8 months. I think he won it at Welch Ridge between 30th Dec 1917 & 3rd Jan, the Battalion was awarded 17 D.C.M.s & M.M. The next major action was during the March-April 1918. It is hard to find out info. on now & when M.M.'s were issued but I am sure there are people on the forum who are doing work on M.M.'s.

Going by info. I have on men near Sidney's number he would have joined up during March 1913 at Wellington.

Do you know much about the 1/4th K.S.L.I., if not I can pass on the befief details I have on then from Regimental History.

Annette

I got lots of Info on the KSLI
my Great Great Grandfather, Great Grandfather, Both Great Uncles and Granddad were all in the KSLI

Cheers Mike that would be great and if you give me your families names, I will see if I have anything on them that you may not have.

Annette

Hi Jack

Take on notice of what I seid about it taking 6 to 8 months to appear in L.G., I have just been going through what info. I have on K.S.L.I. M.M.'s and have noticed that it could be about two months, so Sidney may have got his M.M. at Bligny in June. I going to do a bit more looking into the info I have to see if I can pin point the date he was award M.M.

Annette

Hi Jack

Take on notice of what I seid about it taking 6 to 8 months to appear in L.G., I have just been going through what info. I have on K.S.L.I. M.M.'s and have noticed that it could be about two months, so Sidney may have got his M.M. at Bligny in June. I going to do a bit more looking into the info I have to see if I can pin point the date he was award M.M.

Annette

Thanks Annette, that would be appreciated. I do have a copy of the 4th Bn history from the Regimental History, (Although I have mislaid it... :unsure: ) As you say it is quite brief. I also clocked the Battle of Bligny and wondered if that was the action he won his MM, or maybe when he was gassed?

Jack.

Cheers Mike that would be great and if you give me your families names, I will see if I have anything on them that you may not have.

Annette

1 Great Great Grandfather - Mr Edmund Pinchin(g) Edwards - Professor of Music - Kneller Hall and Band Master to the KSLI and RIR 1883-1916

2 Great Grandfather - CaptJohn Henry (Harry) Busby MC MID - KSLI 1895-1919

3 Grandfather - WO2 Alfred Ernest Peter Busby - KSLI1942-1948

4 Great Uncle - Major William Michael Busby - KSLI 4/3rd Gurkha-Rifles1929-1959

Only one's I could find in a few of my documents

Annette I have a picture of John Henry (Harry) Busby in South Lanc's Uniform after he got wounded and he got a battlefield commission and rejoined the KSLI

Also Anne is the Black Marble clock still ticking today??

Before leaving for England theSergeant's presented him with a large black marble clock which I presented tothe Regimental Museum when it was in Copthorne Barracks Shrewsbury, it had amost distinctive 'Ting' and I am told its still 'Tinging' to day.

John Henry (Harry) Busby MC

ilixj4.jpg

Many thanks Bob. Is the chap in post 740 the same man as the one in the following post.

Cheers

Annette

No I believe they are two different people, unfortunately I do not have the names

regards

Bob

Hi Mike

Thanks of photo of Capt John Henry(Harry) Busby. You may already know this, he was C.S.M. with the 1st Battalion before being Commissioned. His M.I.C. does not record the South Lanc's ? do you know if he joined the South Lancs after the war ?

Annette

No I believe they are two different people, unfortunately I do not have the names

Thanks Bob

I believe he was wounded and posted back to the United Kingdom and posted to the South Lancs?

Nope after the war he was an Instructor at Saint Lawrence College

here is another photo

125olj8.jpg

Hi Annette,

I have an ancestor called William PALMER, born on 4 November 1896, in Dymock, Glos. who joined the KSLI in 1914 or 1915. I believed he joined in Gloucester. He was just a young Ag. Lab.

William was No 16501, and he died of his wounds on 15 July 1916. He is buried in Carnoy Military Cemetery in Picardie. He was awarded the 1915 Star as well as the usual Victory and War Medals.

William's Medal Card states that he landed in France on 22 May 1915, so I deduce he went out with the 5th Battalion. But he died with 7th, and I have read your great posting about the 7th and their involvement in Bazentin Ridge. He must have been one of those 14 wounded there who died of their wounds over the next 2 days.

I wonder if his move to 7th Battalion could have resulted from an earlier injury, a period of recuperation and then a return to the front with a different Battalion.

I am really only posting this as you invite info about KSLI, but if you have anything about William in your records, I would love to know.

Best wishes

Jane

Hi all

Most of the Pals will know that I am compiling a database of all the men who joined the Kings Shropshire Light Infantry (Great War only) but many new Pals may not be aware of this. Any information would be greatfully received. Also willing to do look ups for anyone with K.S.L.I. interest.

One day when finished I will make the database available to Library service or who ever can make best use of it.

Annette

Hello

I am in East Devon and this gentleman is remembered on our War Memorial

Captain (Adjutant) Francis James LEACH

2nd Battalion KSLI

DoW 26 April 1915 at Boulogue.

I know he was born in Martock in Somerset and possible a regular.

Would you have any more information on this chap???

Baffles

Hi Jane

It is hard to say for sure wye he moved from the 5th Battalion to the 7th Battalion, it could be down to wounds or illness or he may have been on some sort of details at Base Camp. I can tell you from other mans records near his number that he enlisted around late December 1914.

Hi Baffles

The following is odtain from Regimental History & 2nd Battalion war diary + C.W.G.C.

Captain Leach was not often allowed to visit the front line, but on this occasion he asked leave to go to the front line in Polygon Wood, having completed his round he started back across country in the early hours of on 17th April 1915, instead of using CT. He was spotted by a sniper, who shoot him in the head. He died on 26th at Boulogne aged 36. Son of John and Louisa Leach; husband of Doris Maunsell-Smyth. Buried in St. John The Baptist Churchyard, Hawkchurch - Devon, seeing that he is buried at Hawchurch he must have been among the small handful of officers returned to UK before the Powers that be stopped this practice ?

He Served in the South African Campaign and landed in France with the 2nd Battalion, so he would have been a regular.

Annette

Thank You so much so for the information on Captain Leach. Why was he not allowed to go to the front line? Is it because he is someone's Adjutant.

Is a CT a trench - sorry to ask - still trying to get the termanology!!!!!!

Baffles

Annette - could I ask why 2nd Batt. KSLI - Captain Leach were at Polygon Wood, what sort of round was he doing.

I am trying to write a brief piece about each man remembered on our War Memorial and give a short statement on where they died, how they died and why they were there. You have given me the how, and where. Just need a bit more if there is any more to know.

Thank You so much for you information - It make these men so much more that just names remembered every November.

Baffles

Hi Annette

Do you have any information on 7585 Pte Stanley Burns 1st battalion KSLI KIA 9TH August 1915 I managed to obtain his medals today he was awarded the 1914 star trio but I cant find anything else on him, anything you have would be great

Thank you

Mark

Hi Baffles

Captain Leach was the 2/K.S.L.I.'s Adjutant, and I guess it was not part of his job to visit the front. Lt.-Col Bridgford had just returned from a visit to the front and he must have thought it quite enough to allow Captain Leach go visit the front line, which at that time ran around part of Polygon Wood.

what sort of round was he doing

That's just a term used for a visit.

CT ia a communication trench

I am trying to write a brief piece about each man remembered on our War Memorial

Snape-I have just started to do same on my local memorial

All the best with work on your memorial

Annette

Hello Annette

I have tried to send you a PM without success - your in-box must be full.

Regards, Tommy.

Hi Mark

I do not have much on him.

Born Radcliffe, Lancs.

Enlisted Manchester. I am not sure if he was a regular or special reservists, if a regular he would have enlisted around Jan 1901 but if a special reservists he would have enlisted in September 1914. He landed in France on the 2nd Nov. 1914 and joined the 1st Battalion. The 1st K.S.L.I. attacked and captured the crator at Hooge on the 9th August 1915. His name is on the Menin Gate Memorial.

Annette

Hi Tommy

Have emptied it a bit.

Annette

Thanks Annette

PM sent with details, here's hoping about the photograph.

Regards, Tommy.

Hi Tommy

I have sent you an PM but think it may not have got through as my internet crashed for a second or two and broke link, can you let me know if it got to you or not, if not I'll have to type it out again.

Annette

Hi Annette

No PM didn't reach me. I to have had problems tonight with my internet connection as well. Normally it is very good, don't know what's wrong tonight.

Regards, Tommy

Hi Tommy

My internet as been bad for over a month now, I am with a well known phone network begining with O, their mobile phone service is as crap as their internet service :angry: anyway I am going to have a look through war diary and add anything I find on your man to what info. is recorded in Regimental History, PM you once I have done this (this time I will save it instead of just typing straight into post that way I will not lose info. if internet crash on me).

Annette

Hi Annette

You efforts are much appreciated. If you would include your e-mail address in your PM or else e-mail me direct from my PM. The family have come up with a few items of interest and a photograph which I think you just might be interested in seeing.

Thanks and regards, Tommy.