Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Shropshire Light Infantry

Annette Burgoyne

Hi Shootdown

I believe Brigadier-General Sir James Edmonds had open access (is that the word I want, sorry I am a little word blind and am have a bit of a blank day)to all unit diaries from Battalion to Army diaries, as well as German sources and first hand accounts. I am guessing he did not do all the work himself but used junior offices and others ?

Annette

• 2 weeks later...

I have added the 10th Battalion war diary to the war diary section on the forum. This covers the period in 1917 and 1918 when the battalion was in Palestine with the 231st brigade 74 Division. Anybody wanting anything from the war diary please PM me.

I have added the 10th Battalion war diary to the war diary section on the forum

Nice one Donald

Hi high wood

I do not have much on him. Absent Voters Lists 1918 record him residing at 3 Bank Street, Bridgnorth. His original number was 514. The Bridgnorth Journal 25-12-15 records him being with 2/4/K.S.L.I. "B" Coy but seeing that he as a M.I.C. I would think that he did join the 1/4th at some point. From other men's records who are close to his number I would say he enlist about 9th April 1908.

Annette

Annette,

thank you for your detailed reply; it is much appreciated.

Ironically, I asked for details about him as I have an original copy of the Bridgnorth Journal and South Shropshire Advertiser dated April 3rd, 1915 that was sent to him through the post. It is addressed to Sergeant Dipple, B Company, Cadoxton Schools, Cadoxton, Glamorgan.

I have no idea how it came to be at a carboot sale in Sussex.

Simon.

Hello There

Im New to this forum but i noticed what a great collection of names you have about the KSLI..

Now i was wondering if you could help me with my great grandfather

He was a L/Cpl Harry Cope and served in the KSLI in ww1, He was awarded a bravery medal for some reason and im dying to find out more!!

I also believe he was wounded in 1917

Thank You for any info you can give me

Matt

Hi Simon

Was it the South Shropshire Advertiser ? or Ludlow Advertiser, I only ask because I did not think there was a South Shropshire Advertiser but if there was such a paper I will have to look for copies.

Annette

Hi Matt

Fistly I have replied to your posts from 2007, god knows how I missed them back then.

Your great grandfather was originaly 2285 Shrops. Yeo., I think it is very likely that he joined the 6th K.S.L.I. on 1st Oct. 1916 when the battalion recieved a large draft from the Shrops. Yeo. I beleive he won the M.M. at Langemarck on 16th Aug 1917. The Divisional CO presented medal ribbons to him and others from the Battalion on 6th Sept 1917, but I do not know details of what he did to win the M.M. I do not have any info. on him being wounded, I still have a lot of work to do in this area and do not yet have a full coverage of the years.

Annette

Thank You So So Much Annette that has really helped so much , You wouldnt have any idea where i could find Photos online of the 6th Btn? Also where could i find info on the Shrops Yeo?

Matt

Hi Matt

I do not know of any online photos of the 6th K.S.L.I. Try and get my book from the library, the ISBN is 1 903360 02 1, it contains five photos which I think are from 1917 but the best place to find photos is the Regimental museum.

Also where could i find info on the Shrops Yeo?
There is a book on Shrops Yeo but I think it only covers the 1/1st, and I do not think L/Cpl Harry Cope would have served with the 1/1st Shrops Yeo. Going by his number he enlisted around Dec. 1914, he would have trained with the 2/1st. There is a book by Captain Geoffley Dugdale, M.C., who was commissioned into Shrops Yeo in September 1914, and trans to 6th K.S.L.I. at same time as your great grandfather. His book goes into some detail of what the 2/1st Shrops Yeo. got up to, also good coverage of his time with the 6th K.S.L.I., the book is called "Langemarck" and "Cambrai" but you may find it hard to come by.

Annette

Hi Simon

Was it the South Shropshire Advertiser ? or Ludlow Advertiser, I only ask because I did not think there was a South Shropshire Advertiser but if there was such a paper I will have to look for copies.

Annette

It was as described in my earlier post and I imagine it was a localised edition of the Bridgenorth Journal. There are local casualties listed on the back page which I can post later.

Simon.

post-6480-095615500 1286522427.jpg

Hi Simon

Thanks, I did not realise it was called Bridgnorth Journal and South Shropshire Advertiser, was thinking the paper was just called Bridgnorth Journal.

Do not worry about posting local casualties listed as I am going to Bridgnorth to look Journals myself. Of couse still post them if you wish for others to look at.

Annette

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Annette

After reading through 30 pages of Posts I am quiet amazed of what you have done over the last 5 years - Congratulations!

I have just joined the site after a friend has asked me to do some reserch on his Grandad. Below is what I have found so far and I wonder if you have any more info.

Name: Arthur W.F. Robinson Rank: Private Army Numbers: 3351 - Shropshire Yeomanry 27138 KSLI Was in the First Battalion KSLI

DoB: Feb 27th 1899 Place of Berth: Manningtree Essex

I have found his Medal Card (off net) which says: J/1/r02b1 - not sure what this means. He was awarded a MM at the end of the war from escaping from a German POW camp - Suppliment to the London Gazette 30th Jan 1920 - pg 1323

I believe he then went to Ireland after the war when the troubles were on. My friend also had heard from within the family that he had joined the Black Watch and went on to become a RSM athough have found nothing to substanciate this.

If you ever need a contact over in Western Australia, please dont hesitate to drop me a line.

Regards

Peter McMullan

Army Museum of Western Australia

http://www.armymuseumwa.com.au/

Hi Matt

Fistly I have replied to your posts from 2007, god knows how I missed them back then.

Your great grandfather was originaly 2285 Shrops. Yeo., I think it is very likely that he joined the 6th K.S.L.I. on 1st Oct. 1916 when the battalion recieved a large draft from the Shrops. Yeo. I beleive he won the M.M. at Langemarck on 16th Aug 1917. The Divisional CO presented medal ribbons to him and others from the Battalion on 5th Sept 1917, but I do not know details of what he did to win the M.M. I do not have any info. on him being wounded, I still have a lot of work to do in this area and do not yet have a full coverage of the years.

Annettepost-55705-022624400 1287884599.jpg

I have a few photos/post cards of Kings ShropshireL.I. will add to your posts

Regards

Bob Robins

post-55705-018229300 1287884970.jpgpost-55705-006605800 1287885006.jpg

my apologies, Sgt with wound stripes from Yorkshire Regt.

Hi Peter

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for info. on Arthur W.F. Robinson I have added some of the info., that I did not have to my database. Interesting to find out he escaped from a German POW camp. I can not add anything concrete but from the couple of service papers that I have of men near his number, I can say that he landed in France on 17-10-17 and trans. to the K.S.L.I. the next day and posted to 7th Batt. but re-posted to 1st Batt. on 23-10-17. Not a lot I am afraid.

If you ever need a contact over in Western Australia, please dont hesitate to drop me a line.

Cheers for that offer may take you up on that one day,

Annette

Many thanks Bob. Is the chap in post 740 the same man as the one in the following post.

Cheers

Annette

Hi Annette, here is my Great Great Uncle Syd.

(No 1782 , later 200343)

5126450912_b8efa847f2.jpg 5125769639_7cb50ea550.jpg

An Oakengates lad we think he joined his local company of the Territorial 4th Bn. at Wellington. (C Coy?) These shots must have been just after he was issued with his uniform, he hasn't got the hang of his puttees yet! (The young lady is his sister, my great grandmother) Wearing his Imperial Service badge, he went overseas with them, ending up in Hong Kong.

Then brought back in '17. Joined 190 Bde, 63 Div.

We think he won his Military Medal for his part in attacking a machine gun post, but are unsure when this was. We also think he could have been a Bomber.

Group shot of officers and N.C.O.s, presumably all C Coy. 4th Bn. As Syd has Overseas Service stripes, and wearing his M.M. ribbon, somewhen in 1918...

5125770367_bb7583458d_z.jpg

Uncle Syd cont...

Close up from group shot.

The info from the medal roll - "Military Medal for Bravery in the Field, France. London Gazette 13.09.18." How soon after the event could this London Gazette date be? Did they take days, weeks, or months, to be awarded? So how far back would I have to go from Sept '18 to pinpoint the action? And would this date be when he was awarded the medal?

5126375292_30ce7e0e3c_z.jpg

We think this was taken later, in the UK. Uncle Syd was gassed, and he was able to convalesce near his home. (A copy of a copy, so I can't see a studio on the back) Maybe at Cross Houses? Berrington War Hospital?

5126376370_f1ff2332f4.jpg

Uncle Syd cont....

Died of the cruel Spanish Lady, possibly while on way to Manchester to be de-mobbed? 6th December 1918. Buried in his local church in Wrockwardine Wood and remembered on the Roll of Honour.

His Death Penny, and other personal artifacts, are still in the Jackson family and very much cherished.

5126377680_f01f8e9eef.jpg