Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Shropshire Light Infantry

Annette Burgoyne

Cheers again Neil very greatful

Hi Neil,

Do you have any of your world famous newspaper clippings for the following 1st Batt KSLI who all died with Pvt Frank Nagington 8123 on the 25th May 1915? They all seem to have transferred to the 3nd Batt KSLI shortly before there death.

25 May 1915 (all of these are listed on CWGC as 1st battalion)

1. pvt GRIGGS JW 8792 - he is listing as missing in the Hereford Times so he too transferred to the 2nd Batt.
  2. sgt BIGGS T 5320 - listed as wounded in Hereford times so transferred to the 2nd Batt (must have died of his wounds)
  3. lance corp PHILLIPS JCO 10331 - killed in action in the Hereford Times so he too transferred to the 2nd Batt.
  4. lance corp WILLIAMS G 6333 - killed in action in the Hereford Times so he too transferred to the 2nd Batt.
  5. pvt THOMAS WE 7585 - killed in action in the Hereford Times so he too transferred to the 2nd Batt.
Do you have the following also?

26 May 1915 (listed as 1st Battalion CWGC)

1. sgt THOMPSON 5046
Cheers,

Luke

Hi Luke,

I'm up to Apr. 1915. It won't be too long before i'm in May/June.

I might be able to attempt it this Thursday.

Neil

Hi Annette,

Do you have the war diary entry and a regimental history for the 1/4th K.S.L.I. for the 10TH AND 11TH April 1918?

Hi Luke,

I'm up to Apr. 1915. It won't be too long before i'm in May/June.

I might be able to attempt it this Thursday.

Neil

Ok, fantastic Neil.

Luke

Not a problem.

I've only got back into it in the last week. Been off with a torn shoulder muscle. Piece of advice, if you're going to fall, don't land on your elbow.

Neil

Hi shootdown1

I have the regimental history, will get back to you as I am of out now to play hockey :rolleyes:

Annette

• 3 months later...

I am very new to this forum.

I wonder if anyone has any information about my uncle Francis John Bailey 203570 , 10th.Bn. K.S.L.I. who died 5th.May 1918 and is buried in Hadra military cemetery, Alexandria.

He came from Welshampton and his name appears on the war memorial there, which has recently been restored following a fundraising campaign I spearheaded over the last 12 months.

I would be most grateful to receive any information anyone has about him. I have a photograph of him and if a copy is required for any records I would gladly make it available.

zipadeedoodaa

• 2 weeks later...

Hi zipadeedoodaa

I only have the C.W.G.C. & SD info. on him but I can tell you from the service papers of men near his number that he was mobilsed on or near 20th Jan 1917 into the the 4th Reserve Battalion. Several men near his number were sent to the 10th Battalion on 29th July 1917. I do have the Regimental History but I am sorry I just do not have the time and type out info.

Annette

Hi Annette

I am researching the men whose names appear on the Liverpool University War Memorial.

There is just one KSLI.

Pte. F Aston was in ist Battn., and died on 6.10.16.

I was wondering if you have any more on him?

Bruce

Hello Annette,

Thank you very much for this information.

Do I understand correctly that you have the only history relating to the Regiment? It is so difficult to get information about soldiers who died during the war.

Nothing at Kew and I can't find anything elsewhere.

Many thanks for your help.

Neville Metcalfe

Hi zipadeedoodaa

I only have the C.W.G.C. & SD info. on him but I can tell you from the service papers of men near his number that he was mobilsed on or near 20th Jan 1917 into the the 4th Reserve Battalion. Several men near his number were sent to the 10th Battalion on 29th July 1917. I do have the Regimental History but I am sorry I just do not have the time and type out info.

Annette

I am currently transcribing the 10th Battalion KSLI war diary from April 1917 to May 1918 which I intend to add to the war diary thread on the Forum. If you cannot wait for that if you would PM me so that I can extract the relevant war diary dates which you are interested in in PDF form.My grandfather was in the 10th and was sent in the detachment arriving in Palestine in July 1917.

I am so grateful for your message.

I am very much a newbie in these matters and my 77 year old brain does not seem to want to function when it comes to PMs.

My set up doesn't seem to want me to send one so I am in a bit of a quandary.

I really would like to get hold of any information quite quickly if available as I am hoping to go to Hadra cemetery in the next 3 - 4 months.

Anything you can do to help would be most appreciated.

Neville

I am currently transcribing the 10th Battalion KSLI war diary from April 1917 to May 1918 which I intend to add to the war diary thread on the Forum. If you cannot wait for that if you would PM me so that I can extract the relevant war diary dates which you are interested in in PDF form.My grandfather was in the 10th and was sent in the detachment arriving in Palestine in July 1917.

I am so grateful for your message.

I am very much a newbie in these matters and my 77 year old brain does not seem to want to function when it comes to PMs.

My set up doesn't seem to want me to send one so I am in a bit of a quandary.

I really would like to get hold of any information quite quickly if available as I am hoping to go to Hadra cemetery in the next 3 - 4 months.

Anything you can do to help would be most appreciated.

Neville

Neville

It is nothing to do with your brain!

You have to have posted at least five times in order to be able to use the pms...and to receive them.

You have now done so.....so try again!

Bruce

Thank you,Bruce,

All is ok now.

Neville

Neville

It is nothing to do with your brain!

You have to have posted at least five times in order to be able to use the pms...and to receive them.

You have now done so.....so try again!

Bruce

Hi Annette,

Do you have the war diary entry and a regimental history for the 1/4th K.S.L.I. for the 10TH AND 11TH April 1918?

Hi Bruce

I think the date of 26731 Frank, Aston death is incorrect for two reasons:- the 1st Battalion were in billets at Meaulte, the war diary makes no mention of any activity or deaths on the 6th Oct. 1916. Also the 1st K.S.L.I. only recievied the draft from the Denbighshire Yeomanry on the 8th Oct. 1916. The Denbighshire Yeomanry lads had landed in France on or about the 22nd Sept. 1916 and trans to the Shropshire on the 6th Oct., so this date may have been mistakenly entered for the date of his death. The 1st Battalion moved into trenches west of Tones Wood at 7 a.m. on the 8th Oct. and by the evaning it had moved to trenches S.E. of Gueudecourt in support of 2nd York & Lancs. On 12th they take part in unsuccessful operation on the 12th Oct., and are relieved to trenches north of Guinchy that evening. I think he died some time between the 8th & 12th Oct.

Annette

Hi Shootdown

I do not the 1/4th war diary and the Regimental History is very unclear for the 10th/11th April 1918. I did do some work on the 1/4th for this date but I have miss placed this work amoung all the bits and pieces I have on the Shropshires, I have been working on database just latly and also was working on 1st & 2nd Batt.s as my main project of the last three or four years. I will do my best to try and find my notes.

Annette

Hi all

Most of the Pals will know that I am compiling a database of all the men who joined the Kings Shropshire Light Infantry (Great War only) but many new Pals may not be aware of this. Any information would be greatfully received. Also willing to do look ups for anyone with K.S.L.I. interest.

One day when finished I will make the database available to Library service or who ever can make best use of it.

Annette

Hi Annette,

Could you kindly let me know if you have anything on Lt E D Moore. At the start of the war he was with the 1/1st Shropshire Yeo, but in 1917 he's in the KSLI. The Army Lists have him a 2nd Lt in Feb 1915 -- I believe he started the war as a sergeant. He received an MC, mentioned in the LG 6 July 1917. He served in Egypt, seconded to the Light Car Patrols.

I'd be most grateful for any information.

Russell

Hi Russell

Sorry I have not come across him, I can not see any mention of him in the K.S.L.I. Regimental History. See if anyone as got a copy of the Shrops. Yoemanry History, as he may be mentioned in that ?

Sorry I could not be of more help

Annette

Hi Shootdown

I can't find the work I did on 1/4th, so I had a quick look at the two main sources that I used, which were the 19th Div. History & the Official History of the War. I have wrote a bit of a narrative from them, it's a bit rough. but better then the K.S.L.I. History.

The 19th Division held the line from near the La Douve river to Charty Farm near Hollebeke, with the 9th Division on their left flank and the 25th Division on right. The Divisions line was held by the 58th Brigade on the right and 57th on the left. On the 9th April the 56th Brigade headquarters were at Gibralter Camp on the Kemmel-Lindenhoek road and was in Division support. From 5.50 p.m. the Brigade was placed in Corps Reserve and warned to be ready to move at short notice to support either the 25th or 34th Divisions. At 1 a.m. on the 10th April the 9th Cheshires were ordered to move to Nieppe and placed under orders of the 34th Division. At 6 a.m. the German’s attacked the junction of the 25th and 19th Divisions and by 6.30 the left Brigade of the 25th Division had been driven out of front line followed by the 57th Brigade. By 6.40 the centre battalion of the reserve line came under attack. The 8th North Staffords (56th Brigade) were sent to the 57th Brigade. By about 8.30 a.m. the Germans had occupied the eastern edge of Messines. By about 9.30 a.m. the 58th Brigade had thrown back a defensive flank from it's front line along Manchester Street to Torreken Corner Cutting. At this point in time 56th Headquarters and the 1/4th K.S.L.I. were placed under the command of the 25th Division, and the 9th Cheshire placed back under 56th Brigade command, both the Shropshires and Cheshires moved off at 10.15 a.m. to the Hill 63 area, with the Shropshire going to the 7th Brigade, who held a pronounced salient at St. Yves, which presented a two-mile face to the south along the northern edge of Ploegstreert Wood as far as Hill 63. This face was held from west to east by 1/4th K.S.L.I. (I think flank rest at or near Underhill Farm ?), 10th Cheshires, 1st Wiltshires and 4th South Staffs.

From now I will only deal with the 7th & 56th Brigade front. The Germans launched attacks from 5.45 a.m. on the 11th April against the 25th Division, but the Hill 63 front was comparatively quiet, except for low-flying British planes bombing and machine gunning German infantry on this front. By 10.45 a.m. the Brigade on the right was pushed back and the Germans pushed into the gap that was left and thus opened fire on Hill 63 by 11.30. No assistance could arrive for two or three hours, so it was decided to retire the line, which would begin at 5 p.m. Meanwhile the K.S.L.I. on the right flank maintained it’s own line and even made a successful counter-attack into the gap on it’s right. By 3 pm. the 1/4th York & Lancs. had arrived on the K.S.L.I.’s right flank. Due to a miss understanding officers on the spot thought that they had to fight on until pushed back instead of retireing at 5 p.m. By 5.30 the St. Yves salient was nearly enveloped and Germans were advancing against the southern flank of Hill 63, the remnants fought their way back to Neuve Eglise.

Annette

Hi Annette,

Could you kindly let me know if you have anything on Lt E D Moore. At the start of the war he was with the 1/1st Shropshire Yeo, but in 1917 he's in the KSLI. The Army Lists have him a 2nd Lt in Feb 1915 -- I believe he started the war as a sergeant. He received an MC, mentioned in the LG 6 July 1917. He served in Egypt, seconded to the Light Car Patrols.

I'd be most grateful for any information.

Russell

Thank you for looking, Annette. For your own listings I can confirm that the Supplement to the LG 6 July 1917 has him listed under Shropshire Light Infantry.

Regards,

Russell

Hi Annette,

Thank you very much for your very detailed and helpful summery.

Interestingly this bit of the Official History of the War "Due to a miss understanding officers on the spot thought that they had to fight on until pushed back instead of retiring at 5 p.m"; May be a little inaccurate, the first withdraw was planned for 2.00 pm but cancelled at the last moment by the GOC 7Th brigade and 25 Div war diary for the afternoon of the 11Th ,states that "the 7Th Inf Bde,now very attenuated,and with its left flank in the air was ORDERED to keep out-posts who were not to retire unless forced to and to fight all the way back,"

Hi Shootdown

Correct the outposts were ordered not to retire unless forced to and to fight all the way back," but I took it that the rest of the line was to retire at 5 p.m. with the outpost covering them. Like I seid I only had a quick look at the two main sources that I had, & to get to grips with the Official History one whould have to send many hours just to cover a couple of hours of the fighting, I hate the way OH jumps from one bit of the fighting to the next, if you are trying to follow one unit/corps you have to jump from one page to another trying to follow whot was going on, very time consuming.

Annette

Hi Shootdown

Correct the outposts were ordered not to retire unless forced to and to fight all the way back," but I took it that the rest of the line was to retire at 5 p.m. with the outpost covering them. Like I seid I only had a quick look at the two main sources that I had, & to get to grips with the Official History one whould have to send many hours just to cover a couple of hours of the fighting, I hate the way OH jumps from one bit of the fighting to the next, if you are trying to follow one unit/corps you have to jump from one page to another trying to follow whot was going on, very time consuming.

Annette

Thank you. As a mature of interest how was the information collected for the O H ?