The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Shropshire Light Infantry

Annette Burgoyne

Hi Annette,

Please find information below regarding Archibald Chilton 5th KSLI

Chilton, Archibald (21)

Private, 10751, 5th Battalion, KSLI

Archibald was one of four sons of Robert and Harriet Chilton of 10 Little Eyton, Malinslee. He had been born at Horsehay but the family had moved to Malinslee at a later date.

Archibald enlisted at the beginning of the war during the month of August 1914, before enlisting he had already completed 7 years work at the Sinclair works at Ketley, and was also a bell ringer at St. Leonard's Church Malinslee

Archibald died of wounds on the 1st August 1915 and is buried in the Lijssenthoek military cemetery. His grave ref; is I.D.6

Archibald is seen on the right in the picture with his best friend George Garbett

post-51798-1268935375.jpg

post-51798-1268935388.jpg

Pte William John Norry, 21289, 1st Batt KSLI

William had worked at the Severn Foundery at Coalbrookdale before enlisting, wounded at Hooge in October 1915 he was killed in action on March 22nd 1918 trying to stem the German spring offensive. His name appears on the Arras memorial

Edward Thomas Norry, KSLI, was the brother of William, he survived the war

William on the left, Edward on the right

post-51798-1268989054.jpg

post-51798-1268989367.jpg

Wes/Annette

I don't have Christopher on my Herefords database but I will keep a look out.

Have you seen the thread on Provisional Btns? HERE

Hello Myrtle/Annette.

Thanks for the info.

Looks like I have some research/reading to do.

Best Regards,

Wes

Hi Annette,

Some Information on 1st Battalion KSLI men;

Ashley, Harry (27)

Private, 23852, 1st Battalion, KSLI

Harry had been born in Wrockwardine Wood but his mother Susannah had remarried and with her new husband Alfred Reece, was living at 18 Church Road, Malinslee, when Harry enlisted.

During the month of July 1916 Harry’s battalion had relieved the 7th Batt KOYLI of the 61st Brigade, 20th Division on the night of the 17th/18th July in trenches about 1500 yards due east of Potijze in the Ypres Salient. During their spell in the trenches they came under German bombardment on both the 23rd and 25th before being relieved by the 8th Battalion Bedfordshire regiment on the night of the 25th/26th July.

It must have being during one of these bombardments that Harry received the wounds of which he died from on the 26th July.

His body was never found which is unusual for a soldier who died from wounds and he is now remembered along with another 55,000 men on the Menin Gate at Ypres; Panel reference 47-49

Blakemore, Edward (41) Private, 17596, 1st Battalion, KSLI

Edward was the son of Isaac (a farm labourer) and Emma of the 58 Single Row, Hinkshay, he had prior to enlisting worked as a labourer at an iron foundry

He had the unfortunate of dying of wounds on the very last day of the war 11th November 1918. His battalion had been at Fresnoy-Le-Grand on November 1st before moving to Hollan on the 5th, but when Edward received his wounds from which he died from is unknown.

Edward now lies buried in the Premont British Cemetery in Grave IILC.12

Blocksidge, George William (20) L/ Cpl, 9345 1st Battalion, KSLI

George had been born in Dawley but was living at Stoke Heath.

He was killed in action in the 18th April 1917 when an attack by A & C Companies had taken the old German Front line; the 1st suffered 11 other ranks killed. George is now buried in the Dud Corner Cemetery at Loo's in Grave II.G.11

Bowers, Alfred John (40) Private, 23853, 7th Battalion, KSLI

Bowers, Frederick William (35) Private, 18945 1st Battalion, KSLI

Alfred was the son of Mr William and Esther Bowers of 248 King Street, Dawley and the brother of Frederick William Bowers of Crown Street.

He had before enlistment worked for Messrs. J. Sankey and Sons of Hadley and also for many years was in the service of Mr J. Clayton. He was a keen sportsman and was a member of Wellington St John Ambulance Corps as well as an ex-scholar of the Wesleyan Sunday school at Lawley Bank.

Alfred had enlisted in March 1915 and on the 18th August 1916 he and his battalion were under the orders of 76th Brigade, The 7th KSLI supported an attack by the 13th Royal Welsh Fusiliers at Maltzhorn Farm which lay south of Trones wood and Guillemont on the Somme.

Alfred was killed in action during this assault whilst trying to carry a wounded man back to safety, his body was never found and he is now commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial, Panels 12A & 12D

Within a very short time more devastating news arrived at William and Esther’s home when Frederick became another casualty of the Somme offensive of 1916, dying of wounds a mere week after his brother's death. He died of wounds at a casualty clearing station just behind the Front line on August 25th and according to the KSLI War diary on that day Auchonvilliers was heavily shelled and a dug out occupied by 'C Company stretcher bearers was hit.

Pte S Bache wrote home sometime after Frederick’s death saying that he had visited a military cemetery and the only grave he happened to recognise was that of Fred Bowers of the Finger whose wife and 5 children lived next door to his own.

Frederick now lies buried at Puchevillers British Cemetery in Grave III.E.26.

Brazier, Edward (21) Private, 12872, 1st Battalion, KSLI

Edward was the son of Edward (a Puddler) and Mary of 47 Ladies Row, Hinkshay.

He had enlisted in the KSLI in September 1914, prior to which he had worked at the Court Works, Madeley and at Parker’s of Madeley.

Edward was killed in action on the 20th November 1917 during the battle of Cambrai when his battalion whilst advancing was caught by machine gun fire from Ribecourt causing 40 Casualties.

Edward now lies in the Ribecourt Cemetery in grave LD.7

Brickley, Thomas Sgt, 6599, 1st Battalion, KSLI

Thomas was the son of Mr J.Brickley of Princes End, Lawley Bank.

Thomas had seen previous service with the army doing 8 years with the colours including 6 years in India. He was a Moulder by occupation having worked for the Coalbrookdale Company. But a few years before his call up in 1914 he had worked as a postman at Titley in Herefordshire where he had settled with his wife (The daughter of Mr C.Barker of Aqueduct) and their two children.

Before moving to Titley and whilst he was a resident of Lawley Bank he had held various offices in connection with the New Connexion Chapel and school.

Thomas was killed in action on the 7th of July 1917 during a strong enemy raid on the British Trenches after a severe bombardment lasting 15 minutes, 60 enemy troops tried to enter ‘D’ companies trenches, the raid was repulsed with rapid rifle fire and the use of two Lewis machine guns.

Burd, Noah (28)

Private, 7505, 1st Battalion KSLI

Noah was the son of Mr & Mrs John Burd of 30, Lyde Brook, Little Wenlock. Noah had left home and was living just down the road at Horsehay when the war broke out.

In December 1910 Noah had joined the Police and had gained a merit badge for efficient service. He enlisted into the KSLI on the 6th August 1914 and with very basic training was drafted to the front very quickly to join his battalion.

Noah was killed in action on the 21st October 1914 during heavy shelling during the battle of Armentieres. His body was never found and he is now commemorated on the Ploegsteert memorial, panel 8.

Picture of Sgt T Brickley

post-51798-1269008098.jpg

Hi Roger

Sorry I do not have anything on Second Lieutenant Walter Harold Benbow MM, other then whot you already know.

Private Hubert William Phipps 27614 was formerly 8/2040 T.R. Batt. + 21524 Wilts. Regt. (From the service papers of others near his number, I would say he trans. to K.S.L.I. around late March early April 1918). Not sure when he was wounded but 7th Batt. in acton near Flesquieres on 27th Sept. 1918. They were in support at Premy on 30th. They took apart in another attack on the 1st -2nd Oct., in the second wave on Rumilly.

Hi Myrtle

Thanks for link to Provisional Btns. Also Christopher's number 4881 may not be a Hereford number, I know it's not a K.S.L.I., and only think it's Hereford because of chap near by being ex-Herefords.

Annette

Hi Dave

Cheers for the photos & info., I have not yet had a good looked at info. in last post but looked at the Norry's. I am a little puzzled by William getting wounded at Hooge in October 1915 because going by his numbers, I can't see how he was in France/Flander in 1915 ? He was originally 1320 (TA) and would have enlisted early 1911, he was among a large number of 3/4th K.S.L.I. men who transfarred to 3rd Batt. and proceeded to France on 12-12-16 and joined Regular Army battalions of the K.S.L.I., I am not sure if their number changed when they moved to 3rd Batt. or when they went overseas. William is recorded as being wounded in the 05-01-18 issue of Ludlow Advertiser.

Now his brother 10303 Edward Thomas Norry could have been wound in October 1915, as he went overseas with the 1st Batt., who were in Hooge sector in late October 1915.

Also do you know if they had another brother or relative called George ?

Annette

Hi Annette,

The information & photos came from a family member, I cannot recall any mention of a third brother but they could have got their history mixed up with reference to who was wounded. Next time I see them I will ask.

Hi Annette

I don't have anyone listed with the number 4881. I've had a look through a few sources but without a result. Who is the soldier with a near number who was ex Herefordshire? This may help the search.

Hi Annette

Thanks for the info, its seems that Benbow moved around a lot having been attached to the 7th Bn Royal Berkshire Regiment and been a Sergeant Major in the 1st Bn Kings Royal Rifle Corps.

Thanks again

Roger

Hi Myrtle

The chap is 25726 Cpl. Thomas James, Teague, formerly 4975 Herefords. enlisted 19-04-16 + spent 50 days with the 48th Prov. Batt. (which I missed because I have not yet got around to adding all info. to database).

Annette

Hi Annette

The names Teague sounds familiar but I don't have him on my data base. He is probably one of the men whose info I haven't added either. I have very few of the sevice numbers that start with a two and are made up of 5 digits, on my database at the moment.

Hi Dave

Burd, Noah (28)

He enlisted into the KSLI on the 6th August 1914 and with very basic training was drafted to the front very quickly to join his battalion.

I am 99% sure Noah enlisted in Oct 1903, and posted to Army Res., then called up on 6th August 1914. He landed in France on 10th Sept 1914 with the Battalion.

Hi Dave

Burd, Noah (28)

I am 99% sure Noah enlisted in Oct 1903, and posted to Army Res., then called up on 6th August 1914. He landed in France on 10th Sept 1914 with the Battalion.

Thanks for that Annette, the quote about very basic training came from a newspaper clip but I had a feeling that something did not quite add up and suspected he was a reseverist. I will list more KSLI men from Dawley later in the week,

Dave

Hi Luke

Here is a map I drew of the area where your great great uncle was killed (if date of death is correct). The 1st Battalion were holding the line either side of the road (the one that runs past Lille Post), as follows two Coys to right of road, two platoons to the left of the road, one platoon at Du Biez farm (diary record name as Dubie), 1/2 platoon at X Farm (not sure which farm this is), 1/2 platoon at de la Hallerie and one company at Red Farm (not sure which farm this is) which furnishes detachment to Deplanches farm. Lille Post was also hold by Battalion. They hold this line from 8th to 11th April, 17th-23rd April, 29th April to 30th May (very long tour of trenches due to heavy fighting at Ypres, the companies rotated).

Prior to 8th April the Battalion had held the line from Rue du Bois to road, from 9th Jan.

Annette

Annette, and fellow forumites,

Great news!

I have been given a newspaper clipping about Frank Nagington and his nephew...also mentioning his eldest brother George Nagington. (Have emailed you a copy of this Annette)

I have extracted the following information which confirms your suspicions of him being wounded (from an article you no longer had from the times!) and some key facts which we were unsure of!

Private F Nagington, a reservist of the 1st Battalion, KSLI, aged 25 yrs, younger brother to George Nagington, 17 Princes Street, Wellington. Private Nagington has been in the regiment for a period of eight years, having served six years in India. He was called upon for active service at the outbreak of war and he reported. He was wounded some time ago, but he is now progressing favourably. Prior to the was he was employed at Messrs Grooms timber works at Wellington.

Private Henry Nagington, 20 years of age, and is the eldest son of Mr George Nagington and a nephew of Private F. Nagington. He served a year with the Wellington Territiorial Co, and then enlisted at the KSLI with whom he has been three years. At the outbreak of war he was sent with his regiment to the front where he is still serving

I wonder if this may help you in telling me any more about him?

I am alslo now curious about his older brother George Nagington, and his son, Henry Nagington. Can you help? This is what i know of them:

His eldest brother was George Henry Nagington born 1870 (who by the way i have just discovered was in the kings shropshire light infantry also! Have found his MIC - Kings Shropshire Light Infantry - Reg No. 10071 then Machine Gun Corps - Reg No.153838, He received the victory (Roll : MCG/101 13 99 Page : 8173, brittish (Roll: MCG/101 13 99 Page : 8173) and 1914 Star (Roll: F/1/4 Page : 69) Date of Entry therein : 10.9.1914 - I will be putting a new post on for him soon!)

The nephew Henry Nagington (George Henry's son) was actually Henry George Nagington born in wellington in 1895 (mothers name Kate Nagington Nee Seabury) This makes the newspaper article dated around 1914/15.

Hope this helps you in helping me!!

Luke

Hi Annette, A few more KSLI for you

Candlin, Ernest Samuel (32)

Lance Corporal, 10105, 1st Battalion, KSLI

Ernest was born in Station road, Horsehay and had worked as a moulder at Day’s pipe works before the war. He was the brother of Mr H Candlin who lived at 29 The Potteries, Horsehay. As far as I can ascertain he was living at 26 Font Street, Pembroke Dock at the time of his enlistment and had a young son Ernest Arthur.

Ernest was killed in action on September 25th 1916 during the battle of the Somme; in which the 1st KSLI had been part of the 2nd wave of an assault on the Morval Ridge and had reached their objective by 3pm in the afternoon.

News first reached Dawley about his death though a letter to the ‘Dawley News’ from a fellow soldier, this arrived the same day as a letter from the War Office reporting Ernest as wounded. Ernest’s body was never found, and he is now commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial Ref; Pier and Face 12A & 12D

Furber, Thomas (20)

Private, 12221, 1st Battalion, KSLI

Thomas was the son of Mr & Mrs Amelia Owen of 12 Brandlee, Dawley and the stepbrother of Private James Owen.

Thomas had worked at the Kemberton Colliery before he joined up and had spent a few months in England training before embarkation to France. The members of the Brandlee Chapel had presented Thomas with a khaki hymnbook before he left. Thomas had seen action in many engagements during which in one of them he had been seriously wounded and after a long spell of treatment, including a time in a Manchester Hospital had returned to his unit.

Thomas was killed in action on the 11th January 1917 during a time when the battalion were holding trenches N/E of Vermelles during the trench line cycle of 4 days in the line - 4 days in support and 4 days in reserve. Tom’s mother received official news from the War office on the Sunday morning (21st Jan 1917), His stepbrother James also wrote home from the trenches at the time saying “I have bad news for you, Tom was killed on Thursday 11th Jan – he was shot through the heart by a German sniper, Cpl Frank Buttery first told me about it and I have found out it is only too true.” James at the time found it hard too write as he was suffering from a hand injury caused by a bayonet.

Thomas now lies buried in the Vermelles British Cemetery in grave V.E.39

Hawkins, William Henry (35)

Private, 7179 1st Battalion, KSLI

William was the eldest son of Robert & Phoebe Hawkins and the elder brother of Robert, of East Grove, Old Park

He had married the sister of Charles and James Freeman and was living at 14 Old Park with his wife and three children at the time of his recall to the army.

William had served in the British army previously and had been on the reserve list at the outbreak of war.

Since first leaving the army he had worked as a miner at the Woodhouse colliery (now under the Priorslee Lake) for the Lilleshall company, He had a good bass voice and was well known in the area for his singing at special services at various chapels, He was also a regular correspondent with the members of the Dawley Bank Brotherhood in their publication the Dawley (Weekly) News.

William had been wounded in the head by shrapnel and had been bought back via various hospitals to the Red Cross Hospital at Cheltenham where he died of his wounds on June 27th 1915.

William now lies buried at Cheltenham Cemetery in grave B1.919

Jeffries, James (39)

Private, 23855, 1st Battalion, KSLI

James was the son of Thomas and Rhoda Jeffries and lived at the New Works, Horsehay.

He was killed in action on 24th September 1918 during the last few weeks of the war during the Battle for the Hindenburg Line. James again was another whose body was never found and his name now appears on the Vis-En-Artois Memorial Panel 8

Morris, John

Private, 18339, 1st Battalion KSLI

Although John is recorded as living at Ketley his name appears on both the Dawley memorial in the rest rooms as well as on the Lawley bank Wesleyan Chapel memorial.

John was with his battalion when the Germans launched their major spring offensive on March 21st 1918. The 1st KSLI were holding positions opposite Queant on the extreme left of the 59th Division. After taking very heavy casualties on the 21st the remainder of the battalion, no more than 100 strong had fallen back to the Corps (Haig) line.

On the morning of the 22nd March the Germans renewed their attack and the battalion under the command of Lt. A. B. Rogers were forced back to Vaulx, that evening at dusk they received orders once more to retire, this time falling back to the GHQ line behind Vraucourt.

John had fallen in action on the 22nd March 1918 and is now remembered on Special Memorial 20 in the Dernancourt Communal cemetery extension.

Nock, Benjamin (29)

Private, 7186 1st Battalion, KSLI

Benjamin had been born in Oakengates and his parents still resided there at the time of the First War.

Benjamin had been a regular soldier and original joined up in the early 1900’s and had served for 3 years in India and on his return he had married and was living at 23 Dawley Road, Dawley Bank with his wife and one child where he had moved too 5 years before the outbreak of war.

He had been recalled to the colours on the outbreak of war being a reservist having previously served, and had gone to France with the 1st Battalion KSLI on the 10th September 1914 leaving his wife and child behind.

Benjamin was killed; Shot through the head by a sniper on 9th October 1914 and so became the first Dawley resident to be killed in the War.

His wife received news of his death through a letter from his Captain, who stated that Private Nock had been a good soldier and a man who could be relied upon.

In his pocket at the time of his death Benjamin had a letter ready to send home, to a Dawley Minister, he was also carrying a postcard ready to be sent to his wife and child. The captain went on to say that Benjamin had been buried by his comrades at a service conducted by the regimental Chaplain.

Benjamin’s Brother John also served with the Royal Garrison Artillery and survived the war.

Benjamin’s body now lies in the Vailly British cemetery in grave I.B.16

A Picture of Benjamin Nock

post-51798-1269198914.jpg

Hi Dave

Cheers for latest info., it's great to add the extra info. to my database but to save youself time you have no need to add details of the battles in which the men died unless it's something that would not be found in any of the following -War Diaries, Regt. History, and the Official History. I also have some Divisional Histories & histories of scores of other Regiments. Also I have all C.W.G.C. info. and Soldiers Died info., so no need to add this info.

I had started to work on list of Dawley area men for you on my laptop but it broke down (power problem), hopefully I have not lost whot I have already put together, no worries if it is lost I can do a new list on my main computer.

Again thanks for taking time to give me this info.

Annette

Hi Annette,

The last of the Dawley men who served with the 1st KSLI who died. Only name not on list is W Norry who I listed earlier.

Owen, James (24)

Private, 24065, 1st Battalion, KSLI

James was the son of Mr & Mrs Owen (Amelia) of Brandlee and the step brother of Private Thomas Furber who had been killed in action early in 1917.

James was married with a small child, his wife living at Brandlee with his mother.

Before the war he had been employed at Day’s works and later at the Lightmoor brickworks.

The 1st Battalion KSLI were holding trenches South-South East of Loo’s after relieving the 2nd York/Lanc’s on the 8th March 1917, when a couple of days later James was killed in action during the day to day life of holding the front line.

According to a letter received by the family from a Captain Corris of ‘B’ Company

“Private James Owen was killed in action on Saturday night, 10th March shortly before midnight. Death was instantaneous and must have been painless. The fact that he was carrying out his duty at the time is the only consolation we can send you. His death is a real loss to his platoon and company and we have lost a good soldier and a ‘good man’. He with two of his comrades in his platoon were killed by the same Trench mortar bomb – they were buried at 2 in the afternoon and the position of their graves carefully registered”.

James was buried by his comrades in Maroc British Cemetery at Grenay in grave I.O.27 his two comrades who died alongside him are buried either side of him, Pte William Leake of Grinshill, Shrewsbury in grave I.O.26 and Pte Thomas Edward Ryder (20) of Ross, Herefordshire in grave I.O.28.

Roberts, Arthur Harry

Private, 25031, 1st Battalion, KSLI

Arthur was born in Dawley and was serving with the 1st Battalion KSLI on the Loo’s front holding trenches north of Lens in the notorious Hill 70 sector during the period 21st -30th of September 1917.

Arthur was killed in action during this time falling on the 25th September 1917 his body is now buried in Loo’s British Cemetery in grave XX.F.15

Shingler, James Enoch (42)

Private, 12543, 1st Battalion, KSLI

James was serving with his battalion in trenches at Morteldje estaminet in the Ypres salient when on April 19th 1916 he was seriously wounded in action dying later and being buried at Lijssenthoek military cemetery in grave VI.D.5

Tart, William (25)

L/Cpl, 9837 1st Battalion, KSLI

William was the eldest of three sons of William (an Iron Moulder) & Martha Tart of 52 Fingers Row, Dawley, who had enlisted into the army at different times.

William had worked as a miner at the Kemberton colliery, with one brother Leonard working as a moulder at the Court Works Madeley and his second brother Thomas Edward working as a moulders labourer at Ketley. Both Leonard and Thomas had joined the KSLI serving with the Territorial’s but William had joined the regular army in 1912 serving at first with the 2nd Battalion KSLI in India.

At the outbreak of Hostilities in 1914, William was drafted to France, and at some point he had been wounded and sent home to recover, on his recovery he went back to France only to be wounded again, once more he came back to the UK to recover and again on his recovery returned to France.

But his luck ran out on April 23rd 1916 when he was killed in action, his body not being found his name joined the long lists of others on the Menin Gate panels 47 - 49

The three Tart brothers

post-51798-1269374817.jpg

Hi Annette ,

Thought you would like to know about my grandfather , Walter William Fewtrell he served with the 5th ksli service no:17611 killed in action at Morteldje Estaminet @ the canal 11/02/1916 . No body found commemorated in perpetuity by the commonwealth war grave commission , his name is on the menin gate panel 47-49 .He was a true shropshire lad farming at Bishops Castle and Wentnor , my nan lived at rock cottage , the green ,Wentnor . In june i am going over to Ypres to lay a long overdue reath near to where he fell , it is a trip organised in shrewsbury by Dave Thomas @ Ken Bishop they have done several trips in recent years . Hope this information is of use to you regards Gwyn Jones .

Hi Dave

The Tarts are an interesting family, there was another brother/relative Joseph Tart, will get back to you with more info. on the Tarts.

Hi Gwyn

The 5th Battalion were holding trenches E24 to E28, with support in Nile & Skipton, they also held Butt 17. The 6th K.S.L.I. relieved them on the night of 11th/12th Feb., greetings were exchanged, which may have alerted the Germans, as they started to shell the area very heavily.

Here is a map of the area, it does not show all the British trenches but does show the main ones. Could you tell me more about the people running the trip you are going on. I was thinking of do a K.S.L.I. battlefield Tour one day, and have been talking to well know Battlefield Tour Company but if I could find a local Company who are interested that may suit me better ?

Annette

post-6616-1269475039.jpg

Hi Gwyn

I have take your number down but I do not think its wise for you to leave it on the forum for the whole world and his wife to see ?

I'll give you a ring tomorrow, as I am a little busy now.

Annette

Hi Annette,

With reference to the Tart family, you probably already know but Leonard 1/4th KSLI 200203 won a MM which was in the Lomdon Gazette on August 26th 1918.

Dave

Hello All.

Thought you might like to see this.

Enamel on brass, with a buttonhole fixing.

The back is not marked.

I have a 1967 Regimental journal which contains a line drawing of a similar badge, in an article pertaining to the 4th (TA) Battalion, which ties in with the Croix de Guerre.

It is photographed next to a General Service large tunic button to give an idea of size, about 1" high and 3/4" wide.

Does anyone have anymore information on the badge.

Best Regards.

Wes.

post-54041-1269636431.jpg

Hello Annette/KSLI'ers,

Mother-in-law's uncle, anecdotally under-age when signed up and ran away to do so, KIA in 1917. He was born 1898 so 16-odd in 1914.

Was Glos TF and then to KSLI. I Have MiC/CWGC stuff etc. Any more info on him?

Henry Attwood

2628 1/4 Glos

Renum 200647 Glos

204085 5/KSLI

KIA 18/11/1917

Thank you.

Simon

Hi Annette,

Here's some information on Dawley men who fell whilst serving with the 2nd Bat KSLI, 4 in total with one being Pte A.E Jones (Kurchall) 17864 who has been mention on previous threads the other three are;

Collingwood, Thomas (25)

Private, 6295, 2nd Battalion, KSLI

Thomas was born at Horsehay, but was living at 82 Park Lane, Madeley at the time of his enlistment, His parents George and Catherine Ann had immigrated to Canada as their address is given as Front Street, Aylmer, Quebec.

The 2nd KSLI were doing tours of duty in the front line at St Eloi during the beginning of March 1915 and suffered many casualties due too heavy trench mortar fire that the Germans had brought up. This mortar fire also cause considerable damage to the trenches and some sections became untenable. To add to the day to day existence of trench life the KSLI also sent out bombing parties to attack German held trenches to their left of line.

It was during this tour at St Eloi that Thomas was killed in action on the 11th March 1915 and his name is now on the Menin Gate, Panel ref; 47-49 his body never been found.

Shepherd, Solomon (39)

Private, 6096 2nd Battalion, KSLI

Solomon was the husband of Elizabeth Shepherd of 4 Heath Hill, Dawley.

He had been a regular soldier having originally joined the 2nd KSLI in 1899, and had served for two years with the regiment in South Africa during the Boer war,

He had received both the King’s and Queen’s south Africa medals with 5 clasp’s.

After the Boer war he had served with the 1st Battalion in India until the 2nd Battalion came out to replace them, on which he rejoined his old company. Solomon had left the army but was on the reserve list when the First war broke out and was called back up on the outbreak of war.

He was serving in Salonika, when on September 5th 1916 he was wounded, but was able to remain on duty; however later in the same month on the 24th September he was seriously wounded being hit in the thigh and spine.

Solomon had gone through the British armies medical system spending some time at a Hospital in Malta before being admitted to the Dudley Road hospital at Birmingham and it was whilst there that he succumbed to his wounds on April 5th 1917 over 6 months after he had been wounded.

On June 3rd 1917 Pte Lewis Halford wrote home from Salonika mentioning the death of Soloman, he wrote, “I was sorry to hear of the death of Soloman Shepherd for he was a good, all-round soldier – but such things happen in war time”. He goes on too say about the war “I don’t know what your opinion of the war is but I do not think it will be over yet awhile, though I think the Germans are beginning to lick their last plate”. Lewis was killed in action seven months later.

Solomon was given a Military funeral at St Leonard’s church, Malinslee on the 11th April 1917

Wall, Benjamin (21)

Private, 5979 2nd Battalion, KSLI

Benjamin was the son of John (a miner) and Jane Ellen Wall of 30 Crown Street, Dawley. Before that they had lived at 58 Fingers Row, according to the 1901 census.

He had joined the KSLI before the war and had served 4 years with them before being killed in action on the 25th May 1915, at Bellewaerde Ridge, Ypres. Benjamin's name is now on the Menin Gate on panels 47 - 49

He had from a young age been connected with the Stirchley Wesleyan Chapel and after his death a memorial service was held there for him on the 5th September 1915.

Pictures of Solomon Shepherd (Left0 Benjamin Wall (right)

post-51798-1269796017.jpg

post-51798-1269796025.jpg