The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Shropshire Light Infantry

Annette Burgoyne

Crooks papers are on Ancestry.

Cheers Simon

Annette

Hi Annette

Any chance you have any more info on 18076 Sgt Sydney Roberts MM 5th KSLI LG June 17, pow Nov 18. Any idea where from, which action for MM etc?

Thanks

Doc

Annette,

I recently bought the 7th Bn pamphlet from the museum shop at Shrewsbury Castle to find out more about the action that my great-uncle 9682 William Devall may have taken part in.

Apart from his service number and CWGC details of his burial in Corbie we have no other details of his service record.

He died of wounds on July 16th 1916. I assume after the attack on Bazentin Wood on the 14th.

I'd like to know if he took part in the 7bn actions in Flanders before they took the train to Amiens to join the offensive of the 14th.

If you could help. The pamplet lists only officers and not the rank and file.

Thanks.

Hi Doc

Sorry I do not have anything more on Sgt Sydney Roberts. Men near his number come from a wide area from Bromyard, Birmingham, Waters Upton, Shrops., Walsall & others. He would have enlisted in May 1915. He landed in France on 30-12-15 & joined the 7th Battalion, I do not know when he moved to the 5th Battalion.

I do not have any info. on where he won the M.M. I can only guess that it was around April-May at Arras but it could have been any time before that, sorry not much help.

I know he is report as P.O.W. in Ludlow Advertiser 9th Nov. 1918 but if his last Battalion was the 5th then he must have been taken prisioner before February 1918, have looked at the medal roll (which I photographed) but I think I may have missed a page because it goes from his entry at end of one page to 18082 Pte. Gould, and I am sure there should be at least one chap between them who went overseas ? So if I have missed a page it could mean that he moved to other Battalion in February 1918 ?

Annette

Hi Invicta Moto

Welcome to the forum

I do not of a lot of extra on William Devall. He enlisted in London some time between late May & July 1911. He landed in France on 21st Dec. 1914 along with the rest of the 2nd Battalion. I do not know when he moved to the 7th Battalion, so I can not really say which battle he may have fort in for sure.

And I would say its highly likely that he was wounded in the attack on Bazentin Wood or on the 15th or 16th itself.

Sorry I would not be of more help

Annette

Hi Invicta Moto

Welcome to the forum

I do not of a lot of extra on William Devall. He enlisted in London some time between late May & July 1911. He landed in France on 21st Dec. 1914 along with the rest of the 2nd Battalion. I do not know when he moved to the 7th Battalion, so I can not really say which battle he may have fort in for sure.

And I would say its highly likely that he was wounded in the attack on Bazentin Wood or on the 15th or 16th itself.

Sorry I would not be of more help

Annette

Thanks Annette,

We didn't even now he was regular army! His parents never spoke about it and my Grandad was only a kid and wasn't too interested until shortly before his death in 1968.

Invicta Moto

His parents never spoke about it

Sad but I think that tended to be the case. Have you tried local papers for the Vauxhall & Lambeth area, you may be lucky and find a mention.

Annette

Hi Annette

Would you have any information on 6927 Private Walter Barton who served with 2/SLI? I have his pension record and medal card plus the unit war diaries for April and May 1915. What I do not have and would love to know are the circumstances in which he was wounded with a GSW to the hand on June 29 1915? Was he still in the Ypres sector or had his battalion been moved? Any information that you could supply would be most appreciated.

Regards

Jonathan

Hi Jonathan

They were in Armentieres sector by this time. I think he was wounded on the 28th, the page of the war diary that I have is a little blury but as far as I can see 3 men were wounded on the 28th and none on the 29th (I have found that some times the date recorded for the wound is in fact the date they enter hospital). The war diary gives very little info. for this time, like wise the Regimental History.

Annette

Thanks for all the help on Alfred and Walter Davies, I'm still on the hunt for Henry. I have found one that might be him living in 373 Lodge Wood St Georges Wellington in 1911 married to Maud and living with Mary Stokes or Stoker. Have you come across a Henry from this area. Sorry this is all I know and if this is too little information for you I do understand, I'll just keep searching

Judith

Hi Simon

Thanks for Ernest, Payne's photo, his number is 18279, it looks like 18249 on his M.I.C. but another man as that number and there are no duplicates in this number range. I have no extra info. on Pte. Payne, I can only give you a rough idea to the date he enlisted which was June 1915.

Hi Judith

Here are all the Henry Davies I have in my database

6993 Pte. Davies, Henry C.,

15570 Pte. Davies, Henry David, Resided 3, Trewern Cottage, Hengoed, Nr. Oswestry

12726 Pte. Davies, Henry Evan, Born Condover, Shrops.

238895 Pte. Davies, Henry George,

6069 Pte. Davies, Henry Leonard Harding, Resided 2 The Grove, Minsterley, Shrops.

23525 Pte. Davies, Henry William, Born Hanwood, Shrops.

7503 L/Cpl. Davies, Henry, Born Wellington, Shrops. Resided Rochdale, Lancs.

19168 Pte. Davies, Henry, Resided 6 Arhford Carbonel, Nr Ludlow, Shrops.

Annette

Hi

I have a Lieutenant Albert Edward Allnut on a memorial I am researching: 7th KOSLI kia 27th September 1918 formerly Lance Corporal in 2nd London: any info gratefully received, I have an obituary and picture to share if of interest

This is on behalf of an elderly friend - can you help with any further details about his Father's death?

KSLI; Private I Crump, my father's elder brother, was killed 08 October 1918. His details were 10464, Ist Bn, King's Shropshire Light Infantry ., He is buried in Ramincourt British Cemetery. The 1st KSLI were involved in a successful attack on Mericourt on 8th October 1918, part of the final operations on the Hindenburg Line. That is all I know about it.

New Recruit,

I have photographs of 2 memorials in Whitchurch he is remembered on. The church memorial is inside St. Alkmonds Church, the civic is off Station Road. I've not researched the memorial in depth, although i did wonder if there is a link between both Crumps.

Annette is the best person for the KSLI, i'm sure she will be able to help you with his service.

Neil

post-31332-1257547826.jpg

post-31332-1257547902.jpg

Hi Annette,

Do you by any chance have any information on 18268 Pte Henry SHAW, 5th Bn, who was killed on 25/9/15, I assume at the Second Action of Bellewaarde.

I have today managed to confirm that he is indeed an uncle of my maternal grandad, and Ancestry now has a brief Service Record for him, but this only details his prior service with 2/RWF between 1893 and 1905. He left the army then and was back home in Herefordshire in 1911.

His MIC shows he went overseas on 4/8/15. Can you perhaps tell from his number when & where he would have joined the KSLI? (He was from the Ross-on-Wye area).

I have read your description above of 5/KSLI's involvement on 25/9/15, so thatnks very much for that!

Adrian

Hi Tony, New Recruit & Adrian

I will get back to you all in the next few days, I have been busy downloading service papers, playing hockey and feeling under the weather over the last few weeks so have not had much spare time but will get back with wat info. I have soon.

Annette

I hope you're well Annette. Not Swine Flu i hope, i had it 3 weeks ago, knocked me about.

Neil

Hi Annette,

Please look after yourself first & foremost, and get well soon! There's no hurry.

I wonder if I could I add to my request, though, and ask if you have anything on 18010 Pte Joseph SKERRATT, 5th Bn, killed 11/2/16. Born & enlisted at Crewe is the only background information I can find.

Forum pal Pierre sent me a photo of Henry Shaw's name on the Menin Gate yesterday, and just 6 names down from his I noticed the name of Joseph Skerratt.

Henry Shaw was my mother's paternal grandfather's brother.

And by a huge coincidence, Joseph Skerratt was very probably my father's maternal grandmother's cousin. I'm still not sure of the exact link, but they were Skerratts from Crewe/Nantwich. I'm hoping you will be able to provide a nugget of information (age perhaps) that will complete the jigsaw!

Thanks again!

Adrian

Hi Anthony

I do not have much on 2nd Lieut. Albert Edward Allnut, only what is recorded in the Regimental History. He joined the 7th Battalion during August 1918 on first appointment. The Battalion took part in the battle of The Canal Du Nord on the 27th September, now the Regimental records the Battalion were in the first wave on the 8th Brigades right flank and that the 2/R.S.F. were in support but Deneys Rietz records that the 7th K.S.L.I. passed through the 2/R.S.F. on this day. I have not yet do any work on the 7th Battalion, so I am not sure if the were first wave or second wave but they captured there objectives.

Annette

Hi New Recruit

10464 Pte. James Crump enlisted some time between 24th March 1914 & 6th August 1914. 10471 Pte. Fitzpatrick enlisted on the 6th August while 10417 Pte. Pritchard enlisted 24th March 1914.

James Crump landed in France on 2nd Nov. 1914 and joined the 1st Battalion.

On the 8th October 1918, the 16th Brigade objective was Mericourt, they attacked at 5 a.m. with the 1st K.S.L.I. forming the first wave. The Battalion had secured its objective (a sunken road east of Mannikin Hill) before 6 a.m., the rest of the Brigade passed through to plan and took its objectives later in the day.

Annette

Hi Adrian

First Joseph SKERRATT one of three brothers ?

18008 John Richard, Skerratt Born Crewe. Aged 38. Son of Joseph and Mary Skerratt, of Beech St., Crewe; husband of Margaret Skerratt, of 2, Roebuck St., Crewe. 6th Battalion but Killed with 1st Batt. on 22nd March 1918. His name is on the Arras Memorial.

18009 George, Skerratt 1st, 6th + 1/4/K.S.L.I. Also attached to 177th Coy R.E. at some point.

18010 Joseph, Skerratt

The odd thing is John Richard enlisted at Nantwich, Ches., while Joseph enlisted at Crewe. All three would have enlisted in mid May 1915.

Henry Shaw enlisted at Hereford in June 1915.

Annette

Hi Neil

Not sure if it was Swine Flu but it was flu like but the silly nit I am went and played hockey, and made myself iller :huh: plus I got hit in the head, and I played again this week, still under the weath and got hit in the neck :lol: there is no helping the stupid is there.

Annette