Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Shropshire Light Infantry

Annette Burgoyne

Neil there is another post on the area, which as a map of the area attacked by the 10th Batt. on the 18th Sept., look under Western Front for the tread Epehy/Lempire. Looking at the one map, I now know I was a lot closer to the 10th Batt. then I thought.

Annette

Annette,

sorry about that I dont know what come over me, confusing SLI with KSLI, probably too much red for supper,

Cheers David

David Too much red as that effect on me too B)

Annette

Neil there is another post on the area, which as a map of the area attacked by the 10th Batt. on the 18th Sept., look under Western Front for the tread Epehy/Lempire. Looking at the one map, I now know I was a lot closer to the 10th Batt. then I thought.

Annette

Annette,

Thanks once again for all your help.

Regards

NeilL

Annette,

I know I'm being thick, but the maps on this thread seem to be of an area in front of Ronssoy. Is this the actual area attacked by the 10th?

I have looked at a thread concerning the 16th Devons and their war diary for 18/09/1918 mentions the fact that they were leap-frogged by another battalion (presumably the 10th as you mentioned earlier) and it mentions a place called Orchard Post and Faustines quarry. I can't sem to find these places on the maps on the Epehy/Lempire thread, but I do remember looking at the aerial photgraph linked to on the thread and this shows a quarry.

Sorry to be a pain, but I feel I am so close to this now. I note that several people have mentioned how obsessive this can become and now I understand why!!

Best regards

NeilL

Hi NeilL

The area captured by the 10th K.S.L.I. is off to the right and slightly forward of Ronssoy, I've been working off a map in the Official History, which is not very good. The map in post 5 of the Epehy/Lempire thread shows the area but it is not a great map and does not show any trenches.

Annette

Hi NeilL

The area captured by the 10th K.S.L.I. is off to the right and slightly forward of Ronssoy, I've been working off a map in the Official History, which is not very good. The map in post 5 of the Epehy/Lempire thread shows the area but it is not a great map and does not show any trenches.

Annette

Annette,

Once again thanks for the information.

I think one of the maps linked to in the Epehy/Lempire thread formMcMAsters University showed some trench detail for that area, but unfortunately the links on the library website no longer seem to work.

I have only just noticed your post about having been to the American Cemetary last year. I will be making a visit to the area in June and I'll make sure I take plenty of pictures.

Best Regards

NeilL

Hi Neil

McMAsters University library website no longer seem to work

I know, I have tried two to three times to look for Orchard Post and Faustines quarry that you mentioned, hope it comes right again soon.

I take plenty of pictures

Make sure you post them on your return for us poor souls who are not makeing any battlefield visits this year :lol: Have a great trip.

Annette

Annette,

Even more of an amateur photographer than historian unfortunately, but rest assured I will post them.

Once again thanks for all your help and keep up the good work.

best regards

NeilL

Hi Annette,

I have a relative who served with the 5th battalion KSLI. Benjamin Gigg 11274 entered France on 22/5/1915 and was killed in action on 16/9/1916. He is remembered on the Thiepval memorial. He was born and enlisted in Cardiff. Is there a particular link with KSLI and Cardiff?

Do you have any information about the 5th battalion and where they were engaged at his time of death?

Regards

Billyfiske

There is no military link with the KSLI in Cardiff as far as I know, when did he enlist? There would have been strong preasure put on him to join a Welch Rgt, but he could have chosen any Btn 1914, and early 1915, and also pre-war.

Unfortunately, no I don't know this. I only have his MIC details. There are no service records.

Hi Billyfiske

Like evolution I do not know of a K.S.L.I. link with Cardiff. Benjamin enlisted in Mid to late August 1914, he land with the 5th Battalion in France.

He does not seem to have enlisted as a large group which some time happened, like a group of mates from Blackburn did, they fancied the Regiments name so joined it on mass. You may never find out why he decided to join the K.S.L.I. instead of his local Regiment.

I am 90% sure Benjamin was killed on the 15th and not the 16th (soldiers died & CWGC wrongly record the date of death of most of 5th Battalion killed in their attack on Bull's Road), althou 2 other ranks were killed on the 16th according to the Regimental History.

I will type up breif movements of the Battalion for you & an account of the Battalion's part in the Battle of Flers-Courcelette, but please badger me if I have not done this within a couple of weeks, I am a devil for forgetting because I have so much on, I do not know if I am coming or going at times :blink: .

Annette

Thanks Annette, that's very useful, I've put it in my diary and will PM you.

Regards

Billyfiske

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

Do you have any information on 16520 Pte Sydney Wooding KSLI?

I've had a quick look on ancestry but can only find his mic

Thank You

Mark

Hi Mark

The only info. I have on him is from the medal card index. He went overseas on 20-05-15, so I would think he was with the 5th Battalion (just a guess). He also served in Labour Corps with No. 649182, going by this number he would have transfarred around September 1918. The 5th K.S.L.I. were disbanded in Feb. 1918, so he would have also served in another Battalion, whether thats was a overseas one or home one may not be know because the Labour Corps medal rolls tend not to record which former battalions a man served in.

Hi Billy

I have started typing up brief details of 5th Battalion, hopefully will be finished soon.

Annette

• 2 months later...

Hi Annette

I hope I am doing this right as I am new to the forum so please bear with me! I have read your thread with great interest, my grandfather was with the KSLI, I have not come across his name on the thread and am hoping you have him on your database. He was invalided out of the army and received a pension but I cannot find either his service or pension record on Ancestry but have found his medal card.

Grandad was 205010 Pte Cyril Evans, if I have read things correctly he enlisted with the KSLI in Tipton on 10 Dec 1915 and was discharged on 17 Dec 1918 as unfit for military service. I know he received a gunshot wound and was also gassed but not sure in what order etc. At some point he transferred to The Queens Royal West Surreys - have no date for this. His reg. no is correct as it is inscribed on the rim of his medals but am sure its his Queens number and not his KSLI one. I was left some of grandads papers and they include what looks like a discharge form and some misc. pension letters - the discharge form states that he served 2 years, 119 days with the Colours and nil years and 254 days with the Army Reserve - would the Reserve be before he joined up (apparently he joined up before he was of age, was found out and sent home!) or while he was waiting for discharge? Oh, just looked at my notes and one of the pension papers states he was late of the 24th Royal West Surreys.

Family info has it that he rode the horses from behind the lines up to the front but would like to find out if this was true and any info of where he might have been in France - I am assuming that he did not actually fight in the trenches.

Any info you have would be gratefully received and I have more general information on grandad if you would like it for your records.

Crystal

Annette

I was wondering if you have anything on one of the men of whom I am now piecing together the military career?

No.10005 Pte. Richard Gornall, he served with the 6th Cheshire Regt. as a Territorial Force soldier, joined the KSLI, at Shrewsbury in July, 1912, then being posted to the 2nd Lincolns, perhaps only a month later. He served as No.9392 Pte. Richard Gornall 2/Lincs. until he DOW 10/03/1915.

The details I have are from Ancestry, SDGW, CWGC.

I know he had a brother in the 2/Lincs and he did originate from Lincolnshire, his family going to the Stockport area at some time after 1894.

Dick

Hi Dick

Sorry but I can not add any more, I only have the same as you from Ancestry, SDGW & CWGC.

Hi Crystal

Welcome to the forum

I do not have Cyril's details but will be adding your info. asp. Your are correct that 205010 is his Queens number, about 180-200 men from the 2/4th K.S.L.I. transferred to The 3/4/Queens on 17th Dec 1916. Going by his enlistment date I can say that his K.S.L.I. number would have been 44** if he joined the ranks at time of enlistment but I think the 254 days with the Army Reserve would have been from the time he enlisted to the time he was mobilized, so making his K.S.L.I. number 55**

I dop not know much about the Queens Regiment, you may be best starting a new thread under units asking for info. on this Regiment. Just wondering if 24th should be 2nd 4th ?

Family info has it that he rode the horses from behind the lines up to the front

Sounds like he may have been with the transport section of his battalion, althrough they did not tend to go right up to front line but would deliver stores to areas just behind the fighting lines, they often got shelled doing this.

Good luck with rest of your search

Annette

There is one link between Cardiff and the KSLI. My Great Grandfather was one of the survivors from the remenants of the Cardiff City Battalion 16th Welch, who ceased to exist as a functioning Battalion after Passchendaele in 1917. The survivors were drafted into the KSLI via an entrenching Battalion.

Hi Dick

Sorry but I can not add any more, I only have the same as you from Ancestry, SDGW & CWGC.

Annette

Many thanks, anyway Annette.

Dick

Hi richards13

I think the Cardiff City Battalion 16th Welch were broken up in the February of 1918, as part of the re-organization of the Army due to the shortage of man power. I have the service papers of some of the 16th Welch men who joined the 1st K.S.L.I. They joined the 1st Entrenching Bn. on 27-2-18, and transfarred to the K.S.L.I. on 01-04-18. What's your Great Grandfather name, I have the names of most of the 16th Welch who trans to K.S.L.I. but I do have a few missing.

Annette

Mark, whilst i'm here. The attached photo is from Wem Memorial.

From Soldiers died

Born: Morton Corbett (Not Remembered there0

Enlisted: Wem

Resided: Aston, Nr Wem.

Cause of Death: Killed in Action

Hold fire and Annette will be along. Sorry Annette, :blush:

post-31332-1252860852.jpg

Sorry Annette,
No need to be Neil, I do not mind at all.

Hi Mark

I'll just add a little more to Neil's post, Ernest would have been call up around mid Jan. 1916. Not sure when he went overseas but would have been after about four months training, he joined the 7th Battalion but at some point moved to the 6th Battalion. He was killed on 16th August 1917 at Langemarck.

Annette