Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Shropshire Light Infantry

Annette Burgoyne

Hi David

Sorry I missed your post about your grandfather Thomas Brookes Minshall, I have been downloading service papers like mad over the last few months with many more still to go. I have added the details to my database as I only had his name and number (s).

Am I right in assuming that on his discharge from the KSLI, commssion in the field and appointment with the Suffolk Yeomanry he was allocated a new number

No because officers did not have Regimental numbers.

I am interested in the number 225806, so far I have only found 22 men in this number range, all seem to be 10th Battalion, and I know little about this number range, yet, did you get your grandfather details from his service papers.

Annette

I have my grandfathers service papers.

On his Agreement to Service (Army Form E 624) his original number is 1033, this is crossed through and above is written 225806, which in turn is crossed through and 230730 written above that.

225806 only appears on one other form and that is for Wounds or Injuries received other than in Action. He had a septic wound on his leg acquired at football in Jan 1917!

All the other forms refer to 230730.

If you have any bright ideas as to the relevevance of the number changes I would be pleased to here.

David

Hi David

my guess is that a batch of men from the Cheshire & Shropshire Yeomanry were assigned for a short time to another unit before being assigned a K.S.L.I. number but hopefully one day I will come across some solid info.

Did you get your grandfathers service papers from Ancestry, I am slowly working my way through the K.S.L.I. chaps, I have not yet come across his name but saying that only A, B & C's are comeing up at moment.

Annette

I got the papers from the National Archives in 2001. If it is possible to deduce anything from the numbers as to dates or any other clues I will keep the possibility of another unit in mind while researching my grandfathers service.

BTW I have the war diary for the 10th Bn. KSLI from March 1917 (ie. when they formed with the merger of the Shropshire and Cheshire Yeomanry) through to April 1918. If you want a list of names/dates that appear in the diary let me now.

I also have Cheshire Yeomanry War Diary for March - Decemeber 1916 (when they cease) and

Shropshire Yeomanry March 1916 - February 1917.

Regards,

David

If you want a list of names/dates that appear in the diary let me now.

Thanks David that would be great.

Annette

• 1 month later...

Hi Annette,

Do you know if the KSLI musuem would have any records of a marriage what took place in 1917?

Thanks

Chris Carter

Annette, Find listed the four men listed as KSLI on the Widnes War Memorial. Regards Soldier 75.

Pte Frederick Bushell

No.9630

7th Bn, [service] The King`s Shropshire Light Infantry.

8th Bde, 3rd [Regular] Division.

Born : Widnes, Lancashire.

Enlisted : Runcorn, Cheshire in September, 1914.

Resided : 53 Midwood Street, Widnes.

Killed in action in Belgium on 6th March, 1916, aged 28.

No known grave; he is commemorated on the Menin Gate Memorial at Ypres. Locally commemorated at St Mary`s church in West Bank, Widnes.

A regular soldier who was formerly 8113 Cheshire Regiment, he joined the army in 1909 and served in India. Going onto the Reserve, date unknown, he was recalled in September, 1914.

Employed at the works of Messr`s Dennis`s in Widnes, Frederick Bushell was educated at the Waterloo Road and Simms Cross schools. His parents, who lived at 2 West Bank Street, West Bank lost another son in the Great War, James. [see next entry].

He had already been wounded in the side in September, 1915. A married man, his widow moved to 1 Egerton Street in Runcorn sometime after his death.#

Frederick Bushell was killed in action when his battalion held the front line trenches between the 2nd-8th March. In this routine tour the battalion came under severe enemy shell-fire on several occasions and the Regimental History described the trenches as "..So battered as to be hardly recognised.." ##

Pte George Lewis Munslough

No.43422

1st Bn, The King`s Shropshire Light Infantry

16th Bde, 6th [Regular] Division.

Enlisted : Widnes.

Resided : 73 Davies Street, West Bank, Widnes.

Killed in action in France on 16th October, 1918, aged 20.

Buried at High Tree Cemetery, Row A, Grave 9.

Commemorated at St Mary`s church in West Bank, Widnes.

The son of George & Lena Munslow, it is believed that the spelling of the surname on the memorial is incorrect. He was educated at Simms Cross school and after leaving school found work at the Widnes Foundry and Messrs J. Williams & Sons Ltd. In his off-duty moments in the rear areas, he played the organ for his comrades.#

The War Diary for the 6th battalion states that the battalion enjoyed a brief period of rest in a rear area between 10th-16th October. It would appear that George Munslow was killed as the battalion moved up into the line for an attack on the 17th October, 1918. He left a widow, Ethel.##

# WWN 1918. ## Battalion War Diary.

Pte John Oliver

No.27061

1st Bn, The King`s Shropshire Light Infantry

16th Bde, 6th [Regular] Division.

Enlisted : Widnes in September, 1916.

Resided : 5 Joseph Street, Widnes.

Died of wounds in France on 20th July, 1917, aged 19.

Buried at Bethune Town Cemetery, Plot IV, Row F, Grave 54.

Commemorated at St Ambrose church in Halton View, Widnes.

Formerly 29934 South Lancashire Regiment, he was the son of Daniel & Elizabeth Oliver and was fatally wounded, in both legs by an aerial dart landing in a front line trench. The same dart killed a Lcpl and seriously wounded three other men. Removed to a Casualty Clearing Station, he died the next day. John Oliver had only been in France for three months when he died.

An old boy of Warrington Road school, he attended St Ambrose church and Sunday School. Before he joined up, he was a labourer at Dennis`s Works in Widnes and a keen amateur footballer and cricketer playing in his youth for Halton View Juniors.# WWN 1917.

Pte George Henry Vallender

No.15775

7th Bn, (Service) The King`s Shropshire Light Infantry

8th Bde, 3rd (Regular) Division.

Born : Moulton, Cheshire.

Enlisted : Warrington, Lancashire in November, 1914.

Resided : 9 Esther Street, Widnes, Lancashire.

Died of wounds in France on 16th July, 1916, aged 24.

Buried at Corbie Communal Cemetery, Plot I, Row D, Grave 37.

The son of William & Phoebe Vallender, he was the youngest of 14 children, his father died when George was a boy and his widowed mother moved in with her married daughter, Mrs Garnett. George was brought up in Bridgewater Street, Runcorn and educated at the Victoria Road School and was a member of the Runcorn Parish church and Sunday School. An amateur footballer, he played for the Runcorn Docks Team in works competitions. When he joined up he worked at Sullivan Works in Widnes as a boilerman, having worked there for a period of 4 years, after training he went to France in November, 1915.#

Possibly wounded in his Battalion`s first action against German positions near Longeuval and Bazentin Le Grand Wood on the 14th July, 1916, he was one of 400 casualties incurred that day.##

# WWN 1916. ## British Bn`s on the Somme. (Westlake)

Buried at Corbie Communal Cemetery, Plot I, Row D, Grave 37.

The son of William & Phoebe Vallender, he was the youngest of 14 children, his father died when George was a boy and his widowed mother moved in with her married daughter, Mrs Garnett. George was brought up in Bridgewater Street, Runcorn and educated at the Victoria Road School and was a member of the Runcorn Parish church and Sunday School. An amateur footballer, he played for the Runcorn Docks Team in works competitions. When he joined up he worked at Sullivan Works in Widnes as a boilerman, having worked there for a period of 4 years, after training he went to France in November, 1915.#

Possibly wounded in his Battalion`s first action against German positions near Longeuval and Bazentin Le Grand Wood on the 14th July, 1916, he was one of 400 casualties incurred that day.##

# WWN 1916. ## British Bn`s on the Somme. (Westlake)

Hi Chris

I would say it is hit or miss wether the musuem would have any records of a marriage. I guess your are after William's & Florence marriage details, the only way to find out is to ring them, their number is 01743358516. You live over the pond don't you, if you want, I can ring them for you, and see if they hold any kind of info. on him.

Hi jones75

Thanks for the info., I have some of this info. but there is some that I do not have. Is it ok to add what I do not have to my database.

I can add a little to Pte. Bushell. He landed in France on 10th Sept. 1914 with the 1st Batt., and wounded with them. The 7th Batt. were holding the left sector of the "Bluff", which had been captured by the 76th Bridage on the 2nd of March.

I have Pte George Lewis Munslow date of death as the 17th Oct. not the 16th ?

Do you know where the info. about Pte Oliver's being wounded comes from ? I ask because the war diary does not record anyone wounded or killed on the 19th July 1917 (SD does records the death of L/Cpl. Williams on 19-07-17). The war diary that I have seen is only the copy and not the original, so I am a little worried that the copy is not a full version of the original.

According to Pte George Henry Vallender 1914-15 Star Medal Roll entry he landed overseas on 28-09-15, this is the date the 7th Batt. landed in France.

Annette

Hi Annette, if you could ring them for me that would be great. The wedding was Feb 03/1917. Grandfather, on the marriage cert., stated he was a Sgt KLSI and he was residing at The Depot, Copthorne Road.

I am really hoping that if they have any info, they would have his Reg # 10327, on their marriage records. Any info would be greatfully received.

Chris

Annette, Please feel free to use the info on your database and the information on Pte Oliver would have come from the local paper at the time, The Widnes Weekly News. Rgeards Soldier 75 Harry

Hi Chris

I would say it is hit or miss wether the musuem would have any records of a marriage. I guess your are after William's & Florence marriage details, the only way to find out is to ring them, their number is 01743358516. You live over the pond don't you, if you want, I can ring them for you, and see if they hold any kind of info. on him.

Hi jones75

Thanks for the info., I have some of this info. but there is some that I do not have. Is it ok to add what I do not have to my database.

I can add a little to Pte. Bushell. He landed in France on 10th Sept. 1914 with the 1st Batt., and wounded with them. The 7th Batt. were holding the left sector of the "Bluff", which had been captured by the 76th Bridage on the 2nd of March.

I have Pte George Lewis Munslow date of death as the 17th Oct. not the 16th ?

Do you know where the info. about Pte Oliver's being wounded comes from ? I ask because the war diary does not record anyone wounded or killed on the 19th July 1917 (SD does records the death of L/Cpl. Williams on 19-07-17). The war diary that I have seen is only the copy and not the original, so I am a little worried that the copy is not a full version of the original.

According to Pte George Henry Vallender 1914-15 Star Medal Roll entry he landed overseas on 28-09-15, this is the date the 7th Batt. landed in France.

Annette

• 2 months later...

Hello Annette,

I am very new to the Forum having made my first post at the beginning of this week. I had a phenomenal response to "A Welshman in a Scottish Regiment?" in the Uniform etc section. I mention this as the "Welshman's" brother was in the KSLI, and to save reposting the photograph. Emrys is pictured in "Hospital Blues". They are both my great uncles. One of the respondents suggested I contacted you-LST_164

Private Emrys Thomas was born on February 20th 1899 but there is no record of his birth for Aberystwyth, where my grandmother and her family were born, lived and brought up. I can recall my grandmother telling me she had nursed her brothers of effects of mustard gas poisoning prior to their deaths. Emrys died January 17th 1925.

I have recently found a medal card for Emrys Thomas KSLI 35484/Royal Army Service Corps-M/404402 on TNA. On the Ancestry site when searching their MIC I obtained his Silver War Badge card under his RASC number. I have a SWB and am in the slow process of seeing whose it is.

There are no service records as yet showing up for Emrys on Ancestry.

Any further information you could give me from the above, I would be very grateful for. Also would you have any idea whether and where Emrys could have become a casualty to the mustard gas while with the KSLI. It could have happened while he was with the RASC though.

Good luck with this mammoth project. If you are using illustrations and would like me to post the medal cards or photos on the forum or a PM then please let me know.

Regards, Janet.

Hi Janet

I have very little info. on Emrys but can tell you he was reported in my local paper, in the 8th June 1918 issue of the Ludlow Adertiser (reported all K.S.L.I. casualties) as wounded. I have found that it took up to a month from time of being wounded to being reported in papers but this is no hard rule, so could be more or less.

While I can not give you solid info. on him, I can make some guesses from what I know of others near his number but please bear in mind that it is only guess work. First nearly all the men near his number were formerly from Training Battalions, and many are from South Wales. His number falls amoung a group that joined the 7/K.S.L.I., also the earlist date of death I can find near his Regiment number is at the beginning of the Kaiser's Battle (21-03-18). The 7th Battalion did receive 207 men during Februrary, 154 from the 5th Battalion, so he may have been one of the other 53 men to join. The Battalion was gassed several times between March and June 1918. They were heavily gassed during the Kaiser's Battle, while in the Henin area near Arras. During late April while billeted in Vendin, the Regimental History records the village being full of gas but does not mention if anyone was effected. The Battalion was heavy bombarded with mustard gas shells on 20th May when in front line near Locon, they suffered over 200 casualties from the gas, the whole Brigade suffered 700 gas casualties on this day, the Regimental History puts this high rate down to the hot weather bring the fumes out of the men's clothing.

Anyway if I do find anything more solid on Emrys, I'll try to remember to pass it on.

Annette

• 2 months later...

Hi Annette,

It's great you are so dedicated to all of this. I'm wondering if you can help me find information on (1) the battles my Great Uncle was in before he was killed and/or (2) if the story about how he was wounded is true.

THE FAMILY STORY: My Grandmother said it was a very short time between the time her brother Thomas Wynne Jones shipped out and when he was killed. The letter sent to Thomas' mother said he died of wounds sustained when an air bomb hit the barracks when he was sleeping. The family seemed to believe this without question. Now I'm not so sure because a documentary I watched said the officer letters often told the family something kind rather than tell them what really happened, correct? Can you shed any light on this?

INFORMATION FROM THE CWGC: Name: JONES, THOMAS WYNNE; Rank: Private; Nationality: United Kingdom (Wales); Regiment/Service: King's Shropshire Light Infantry; Unit Text: 6th Bn.; Died age 19; Date of Death: 07/08/1918 (August 7); Service No: 27894; Additional information: Son of Thomas and Jane Jones, of Garreg Mawr, Upper Llandwrog, Carnarvonshire; Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead; Grave/Memorial Reference: II. A. 23; Cemetery: LIGNY-ST. FLOCHEL BRITISH CEMETERY, AVERDOINGT, France. The cemetery was started at the beginning of April 1918 when the 7th Casualty Clearing Station came back from Tincques ahead of the German advance. At the end of May the 33rd Casualty Clearing Station arrived from Aire and in August, No 1 Casualty Clearing Station from Pernes.

Thanks,

Rowena James

Hi Rowena

I think your family story is correct. The 6th Battalion's war diary records 7 men being wounded at Crumps Corner by a bomb dropped from a airplain on the 6th Aug. 1918. The Battalion had gone into the trenches in the left sector at Avion with one company in the front line, one in the support line, one in the L'Hirondelle defences, and one at Red Gap (will post map if I can find it).

He was formerly 4/22284 T.R. Batt. and 66952 Ches.hire Regtiment. The 6th K.S.L.I. recieved a draft of 484 young soldiers on 6-4-18, which I believe came from the Cheshire Regiment, I believe Thomas was one of this batch.

Annette

Sorry Rowena I never answered the first part of your question. He did not get in fight in any battles but would have been in the front line a few times.

The Battalion was at Villers Campsart on 6th April 1918, on the 10-4-18 it proceeded to Toeufles, then next day it moved to Feuquieres. On the 18-4-18 it proceeded to Caucourt, were training was carried out . On 1-5-18 it moved to Alberta Camp on Carency-Sourchez road, the next day the Battalion moved into support area with H.Q. at L'Hirondelle with the companies in Red Trench. On the 8-5-18, they took over forward lines, with two companies in front line and two in support, Batt. H.Q. was in Anxious Trench. The Battalion returned to Alberta Camp on 20-5-18, during this tour they were shelled with gas several times. They were back in front lines again between 1-6-18 & 17-6-18 (gassed serveral times), and again between 26-6-18 & 15-7-18 (British gassed Germans). Thomas entered the trenches again on 24-7-18 for his last tour.

Annette

Hi Rowena

I would love a photo of Thomas, please

thanks

Annette

Hi Annette,

Here's the photo... my Grandmother said it was the last photo taken of Thomas (that his family had).

Thanks again,

Rowena

post-35798-1214858346.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rowena

Thanks for the photo, sorry its as taken so long to reply, I have been trying to remember where your post was, why I did not check my own thread I do not know (well ok it could be down to getting older).

I was going to post the map I mentioned but can't find the attachment section, which seems to have disappeared, I will email it to you, so if you can email your e-address I'll send it asp.

Annette

Hi

Do you have any details on a relative - 20548 Private Gilbert Smith KSLI. I have his WW1 pair and would love to know anymore about his service.

Thanks

Rob

Hi Rob

I have very little info. on Pte. Gilbert Smith. He was formerly 20548 Somerset L.I. and on joining the K.S.L.I. he was given the number 20667. From the service papers of a chap near this number i can tell you he transferred to the K.S.L.I. on the 4th Oct. 1916, along with 30 or so other Somerset lads. They seem to have joined the 8th Battalion (I only have the battalion for a small number of these chaps), on the 19th Nov. 1916.

Sorry I could not give you more solid info.

Annette

Hi Rob

I have very little info. on Pte. Gilbert Smith. He was formerly 20548 Somerset L.I. and on joining the K.S.L.I. he was given the number 20667. From the service papers of a chap near this number i can tell you he transferred to the K.S.L.I. on the 4th Oct. 1916, along with 30 or so other Somerset lads. They seem to have joined the 8th Battalion (I only have the battalion for a small number of these chaps), on the 19th Nov. 1916.

Sorry I could not give you more solid info.

Annette

Hi Annette

Thanks for taking the time to look for me, any info is usefull.

Cheers

Rob

• 3 months later...

Hi Annette,

I have been searching Ancestry WW1 records like mad (wanting to take every advantage of them being free for the month of November), looking for my husbands grandfather - but no success yet.

He served in KSLI and was discharged from the Middlesex Regiment, could you let me know if you have any information on him in your database.

Name: Albert Victor Gregory

Born/Lived: Tilston Cheshire

Regimental numbers: 24354 (KSLI) and G/106711 (Middlesex Regiment)

We know he served in Selonika, and have seen a diary (now in the Regimental museum in Shrewsbery) which indicates he was in the Balkans in 1919 acting as a signaller.

If you would like any information on his life after the war please let me know.

Any info, gratefully received.

Thanks

Angela

Hi Angela

I can't give you any solid info. on him, but can give you info. base on men near his number & those who trans. to the Middlesex Regiment.

Going by his K.S.L.I. No. he mobilised around 8th-10th April 1916. I have recorded in my records that he was in "A" Company, 8th Batt. and that this info. can from a relative (I am ashamed to say I did not record who that was).

At the end of the war the 8th Batt. disbanded and many of the men joined the 2nd Batt. on 4-12-18. From his Middlesex No. I know he trans. to the 26th Batt. of that regiment on the 22-5-19, this may just have been a paper transfer ?.

Annette

Hello Annette,

I'm researching the men on a local war memorial, and I've come across a man who was in the Kings Shropshire Regiment, and was wondering if you have any info on him.

His name was Albert Victor Long, a Sgt in the 7th Bn Kings Shropshire Regiment, service no 15774, aged 35, and he died 13/5/1916.

Any help would be much appreciated,

Regards,

Barry.