Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Shropshire Light Infantry

Annette Burgoyne

Hi wulsten

Thanks for photo and Info. on Harry Swinnerton

anyone know what the battalion were doing at the time of his death

They were capturing the Crator at Hooge.

Hi Doug

The only info. I have on Harold Fletcher is that he landed in France on 10-09-14 with the first Battalion.

Annette

Hi Dave

Thanks for the info., I did have him in my records but I did not have details abouts him being wounded, so will add this to his file. His number is 200019. He is recorded in The Absent Voters Lists as residing at 9 Bennetts Bank, Wellington.

Do you know his original number, it should be some where between 211 & 294, also can I check the year he enlisted, all the men I know about near his number enlisted in April/May 1908 ?

Thanks

Annette

Hi Annette,

I believe his original number was 216. the information that i have was taken from WW1 pensions records.

Not sure if cou could have a look for my other grandfather John Dolan, i have not been able to find any thing for him, all i have been told was that he was in the KSLI & fought in the battle of the Somme, and at the end of the war he was in the 21st labour corps.

Hi Doug

The only info. I have on Harold Fletcher is that he landed in France on 10-09-14 with the first Battalion.

Annette

Thanks Annette

Doug

Hi Dave

I have not got Edward Charles Jones papers yet I presume you got them on line.

The only Dolan, John I can find as the K.S.L.I. No. 20337 and L.C. No. 414949 but I know nothing more about him. The numbers range 20337 is not a easy one to work out, a lot of the men near this number joined the K.S.L.I. from other Regiments, also there are K.S.L.I. National Reserve with the same number, so its hard to say if he was a National Reserve man or K.S.L.I.

I have two other man with the surname Dolan, they are 10353 Pte. Dolan, William & 10715 Pte. Dolan, Michael, born Longton, Staffs.

Annette

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Annette, I did have a KSLI name of interest to me; Pte Edward Walter Butler, 18994, D Coy, MIA on or about 18.9.16. Don't know if you have any documents that can add to the SDGW or CWGC, but thought I'd put the name out there.

Thanks,

Jesse

Hi Jesse

I can't add anything to what you already know from SDGW or CWGC. I can give you an idea to when he enlisted from others near his number which have been around 4th to 9th October 1915.

I can also give you breif details of what the 1st Battalion were doing on the day he was killed if you want.

Annette

Jeese,

I can add, he is remembered on Hadley War Memorial, Hadley now being a part of Telford. As you will know SDGW lists him as residing in Leegomery, which is next to Hadley.

Let me know if you'd like any photo's. I'm near certain i can find the location of 3 Malt Shovel Yard.

Neil

PS, Annette sorry for hijacking your thread.

Many thanks for your responses, Annette and Neil! Do you live near the Leegomery area? Are these small towns? I have his cousin's diary, in which she had recorded his data. She was a nurse at the front, and I think the family may have had hope that he would turn up.

Jeese,

I can add, he is remembered on Hadley War Memorial, Hadley now being a part of Telford. As you will know SDGW lists him as residing in Leegomery, which is next to Hadley.

Let me know if you'd like any photo's. I'm near certain i can find the location of 3 Malt Shovel Yard.

Neil

PS, Annette sorry for hijacking your thread.

Annette sorry for hijacking your thread

No worries Neil, just because I started this thread does not mean I own it, hijack away to your hearts content ;)

Jesse do you want any info. on what the Battalion was up to at the time of Pte Edward Walter Butler death.

Annette

Sure, Annette! What were they about, then?

No worries Neil, just because I started this thread does not mean I own it, hijack away to your hearts content ;)

Jesse do you want any info. on what the Battalion was up to at the time of Pte Edward Walter Butler death.

Annette

Hi,

My GGFather, Wilfred Silburn, was in the King Shropshire Light. I have a copy of his Medal card which reads

----------------------

Name Corps Rank Regtl Na

SILBURN Shrops L I Pte 13276

W. ilfred

Medal Roll Page Remark

Victory J/1/102 B/5 1196 dis. 14. 12.18

British do di

15 Star J/1/8 B1 262

S.W.B List J/1370/1 shows "WILFRED"

Theatre of War first served in (1) France

Date of Entry Therein 8.4.15

--------------------------------------------

I thought when I first saw if it that SWB referred to the South Wales Borderers but my father says that Wilfred was wounded in the war so I guess it's the Silver War Badge.

He would have joined in Pembroke Dock, where he was living, and the 3rd Reserve Batallion moved to at the start of the war.

He got married 24 Jan 1915 and on the marriage certificate it as his Rank or Profession as Private (Special Reserve Engine Fitter) He would have been a marine fitter in the Royal Dockyard which was situated in Pembroke Dock at that time.

Any information about him would have my gratitude.

I found a book in the library recently. The History of the King Shropshire Light Infantry in the Great War by Major W De B Wood. published in 1923. It is fascinating reading and gives a fairly detailed account of what the battallions were doing for each month of the war.

I came across the following from a website I happened across recently when searching for KSLI information. http://www.pembrokeshire-war-memorial.co.uk

There are the following entries. The men aren't related to me but they may be of interest to you.

Thomas Howell, Reverend, Kings Shropshire Light Infantry. Thomas was born in Newport, the son of Howell and Mary Ann Howell, later of Fishguard. He was a Chaplain 4th Class, attached to the 6th Battalion, King's Shropshire Light Infantry, who fought with the 20th Light Division at the Battle of Cambrai. The Division had suffered terribly at Welsh Ridge, and the on the 1st December 1917 were to attack the fortified village of Gonnelieu on the Hindenburg Line, but were repulsed by the Germans, and Thomas was Killed in Action here that day, aged 33. He is buried in Fifteen Ravine Cemetery, Villers-Plouich, in Grave IV. C. 16.

Frederick William (Freddie) John, Private, 31159, Kings Shropshire Light Infantry. Freddie was born in Newport, and enlisted at Newport originally into the Welsh Regiment. He transferred into the 5th Battalion, the King's Shropshire Light Infantry, part of the 42nd Brigade, 14th (Light) Division, and they landed at Boulogne on the 20th May, 1915. The Division fought at Hooge and Bellawarde, and also on the Somme in 1916, then fought in the Battles of Arras and Passchendaele, suffering heavy casualties. It was during the second phase of the Passchendaele Offensive, the Battle of Langemarck, that Freddie was Killed in Action on the 22nd August, 1917. He is remembered on the Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial, Panel 112-113.

Another KSLI reference from the site www.pembrokeshire-war-memorial.co.uk

----------

Captain George Powell Roch was the son of the late William Roch, of Butterhill, Pembrokeshire. His Grandfather was the M.P., Walter R.H. Powell, of Maesgwynne, Whitland, and he was married to Muriel Roch, of 33, Draycott Place, London. George had transferred into the 1st Battalion, Kings Shropshire Light Infantry, which formed part of the 16th Brigade, 6th Division. This Division was trying to stem the German Offensive in Flanders in 1918, when George was killed in action, on the 21st May, 1918, aged 43. He was buried in Nine Elms British Cemetery, Ieper.

---------

post-43631-1233689101.jpg

Mike

Hi

Sorry for delay

Jesse-I have sent PM

zoomer-Thanks for the offer, any info. you have will be greatfully received, I have the following 1914 medal roll entry, Citation & Regt. History.

Mike- I can only add that your great grandfather served with the 1st Battalion. Also Thanks for info. from pembrokeshire-war-memorial, but there is a mistake, Frederick William, John name is on Tyne Cot according to C.W.G.C.

Thanks all

Annette

It was only last week Steve John of the Pembrokeshire County War Memorial made contact with me, small world.

Hope you're well Annette, i've got the blasted bug thingy

sorry to hear your are under the weather Neil, talking of weather, I have had most of the week off work because of the snow, I walked to work but we decided it was not safe to take the bus out.

Thanks for the information Annette. Just knowing the battalion he was in is a great help.

I have another reference to a KSLI man in my wanderings if it is are of interest. This time from http://www.laugharnewarmemorial.co.uk

John Charles Lewis, Captain, Monmouthshire Regiment. John Charles Lewis was the son of John and Alice Lewis, of Troedybryn, St. Clears. He was enlisted into the Inns of Court Officer Training Corps, with the Army Number 8113. From here he was commissioned into the 1st Battalion, the Monmouth Regiment, as a 2nd Lieutenant. John was subsequently attached to the 6th Battalion, KSLI from the 21/1/1917 onwards, serving with the Battalion on the Somme during the Winter of 1916/17, then with the Battalion at Third Ypres (Passchendaele). The Battalion moved South on the 1st October, entraining at Proven for Bapaume. John was promoted Captain, taking over Command of ‘A’ Company, 6th KSLI. They took over the front line trenches at Villers Plouich on the 20th October, and took part in the attack on Welsh Ridge, during the Battle of Cambrai, on the 20th November, 1917, when John was mortally wounded whilst gallantly leading his Company. He was listed as Killed in Action that day, aged 30. His body was lost in the coming battles in the area, and he is remembered on the Cambrai Memorial, Louverval.

post-43631-1233929781.jpg

Hi Mike

Thanks for posting the photo & info. about Capt. Lewis, and the links to memorial sites.

Annette

Annette,

I only joined the forum this week so still finding how things work.

I offer the following for your database. Allen John Gardiner who is not in SDGW or on the CWGC roll (Although I hope to do something to rectify the latter).

Allen John GARDINER Pte 11161 KSLI (I think 5th. Battn - perhaps you could confirm from his service number).

To France 22.5.1915.

Discharged 18.4.1916 with Silver War Badge.

Entitled to 1915 Star, BWM, and Victory Medals.

Lived at Dancing Green, East Dean, Gloucestershire.

Died 22.6.1916 Age 20 Cause of death Meningitis (Tubercular).

His former occupation was Gamekeeper.

Regards,

Eric

Hi Eric

Welcome to the forum. Yes Pte. Gardiner's number is 11161, and was with 5th Battalion. Thanks for the info. on him, I will add this to database if thats ok. Good luck with gets him add to C.W.G.C., I guess you know you have to show that the Meningitis (Tubercular) was down to his army service. I tried to get a chap from Ludlow added, who had died from TB, but failed evan thou his service papers show he had TB during his service, anyway the best of luck. There is a chap on the forum, Terry Denium, who is doing alot to get mem added to C.W.G.C.

Annette

• 1 month later...
Hi Annette

Some gen for your database if you dont already have it

19127 Pte Artur luscott

7th Batt KSLI

DoW 16/09/16 age 41

Parents -John and Mary luscott of Bishops Castle, Salop

Wife- E A Luscott of 2 Rookery Harnage ,Cressage, Shrewsbury

Enlisted-Shrewsbury

Resided-Pitchford,nr Shrewsbury

Buried-La Neuville British Cemetry, Corbie

Civvy Occupation -Carter

I have his Victory medal

Cheers

Perce :D

Do you still have Arthur Luscotts victory medal?

Hi all

Most of the Pals will know that I am compiling a database of all the men who joined the Kings Shropshire Light Infantry (Great War only) but many new Pals may not be aware of this. Any information would be greatfully received. Also willing to do look ups for anyone with K.S.L.I. interest.

One day when finished I will make the database available to Library service or who ever can make best use of it.

Annette

Do you have any information on a Arthur Luscott 19127 prt, king`s shropshire light infantry, he was my grt grandfarther

Hi TNicholls

I can not add much more to what Perce as posted. I can give you a rough idea when he enlisted/mobilized, which would have been some time in late October or early November 1915. Also I can give you rough idea to when he was wounded, see that he is buried at Corbie I would guess he was wounded some time between the 11th & 16th September. The Battalion moved to Maricourt on the former date, suffering four wouded on 13th, it then moved forward to support area near Guillmont on the 14th, and on 15th moved forward again to trenches near Quadrilateral, suffering about 22 wounded, move men were wounded on the 16th. There is also a chance he was wounded in late August while at Mailly-Maillet & Auchonvillers.

Annette