Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Shropshire Light Infantry

Annette Burgoyne

Did you need a Private W H Felton

Yes please John.

Bob, I can't find a Edward Samuels sorry.

Annette

Annette,

this is only on a church memorial in Lichfield as he was not born here, so not the main memorial in 1920.

Private William H Felton

parents William and Longford Lodge, Newport, Salop.

He was a servant for Mr Worthington at Maple Hayes which is just outside the city, therefore only on the Christchurch plaque.

This came from a newspaper article in the Mercury on June 25th

John

Hi John

Thanks for info., I do have William Herbert, Felton in my database, but did not know he was a servant for Mr Worthington at Maple Hayes, so have added this.

His Regt. No is 11307. He was with the 5th Battalion and landed with them on 21st May 1915 (the medal roll records 22nd but for some reason the K.S.L.I. rolls are a day out for all or most of the original men of the 5th & 6th Battalions). He was killed on the 16th June 1915.

The 5th K.S.L.I. were in support of an attack. On debouching from the cutting at Hell-Fire Corner, the two leading platoons made their way to their way to sunken road but the rest of the Battalion was diverted to right by heavy fire and took to a trench near Gordon House. After reorganising, they made their way back to starting line near Ramparts of Ypres near railway line.

Annette

Annette

Thanks for your information and I am glad I have helped with your database.

I don't know where he was born unfortunately, and secondly the Christchurch has the parish magazines from that time so if I get a chance I will look him up.

John

Hi John

William Herbert, Felton was born at Newport, Shropshire according to Soldiers Died.

Annette

Hello Annette,

Had this passed to me tonight over a pint.

Pte. Frank Rogers 61026(MGC) 1652 KSLI

Gallipoli?

The Advance of the Egyptian Expeditionary Force

India

Singapore

Demob 1922??

Anything ring a bell?

Roop

Hi Roop

There are about 27 men of the 1/4th Battalion who trans. to the M.G.C., I know little about this group. I think the M.G.C. company they joined was the 134th but not 100% sure of that. The 1/4th K.S.L.I. landed in India on 1st Dec. 1914. 3/4 of the Battalion moved to Singapore in Feb. 1915, the rest of the Battalion moved to Singapore in April. Detachments also went to Hong Kong and Australia. I know very little about the 27 mens movements once they joined the M.G.C. One of the men is on the Basra Memorial, Iraq, and another is buried in Kantara War Memorial Cemetery, Egypt. I have no info. on Pte. Frank Rogers other then his regt. No's.

Annette

Hi all

Most of the Pals will know that I am compiling a database of all the men who joined the Kings Shropshire Light Infantry (Great War only) but many new Pals may not be aware of this. Any information would be greatfully received. Also willing to do look ups for anyone with K.S.L.I. interest.

One day when finished I will make the database available to Library service or who ever can make best use of it.

Annette

Hi Annette

Any information on my great uncles 23574 Pte Allen Cartwright KSLI & 237758 Pte Harold Cartwright KSLI I have Harolds BWM & Victory & Allens Victory & a SWB numbered 128861 which is Allens . Also my great grandfather served in the KSLI his name was Richard Richards but I havn't any medals to him

I also have a BWM & Victory pairs to brothers 27935 Pte F A Rendell KSLI & 78192 Pte A Rendell Welsh Regiment

I would be grateful for any information on these men

Thanks

Mark

Hi Annette,

I just found a newspaper piece in the Lichfield Mercury 4.10.18 about W J Combs/Coombs. I only noted the date and name, and I think it may have been about a medal

John

Hi Mark

I do not have any info. on Allen Cartwright. Harold's number is 23758, typo by you or are there two Harold Cartwrights <_< , I have from absent voters lists, that his residence was Vicarage Road, Ditton Priors, and his medal roll entery records that he served in the 2nd, 8th and 6th Battalions.

I have two Richard Richards, the first as Regt. No. 12047,and came from Oswestry area, he was wounded around November 1916, and later moved to Norfolk Regt. The other is 14306 Cpl. Richard G., Richards, from Dawley area, he served in the 7th Battalion, "D" company, and moved to A.S.C. at some point.

Hi John

The only match I have is 12078 William Vincent Coombs, but he is not recorded in awards section of the Regimental History ?

Annette

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Annette, i was wondering if you have anything on Thomas A Wallis 7581 sergeant with 1914-15 star trio and long service good conduct , i would be most greatful for any information you may have. Cheers Ian.

Hi Ian

I can only tell you he was 2nd Battalion and landed in France with them on 21st December 1914, sorry that's all I have on him.

Annette

Thanks for that, every piece of information helps and i wasn,t certain of his battalion , thanks for your speedy reply. Cheers Ian.

Hi Annette,

found the information about W Coombs. This is the transcription of the newspaper article

"...whose home is at Wall Lane, Muckley Corner has been wounded in the left leg, and is now in hospital in Portsmouth. This is the fourth time he has been wounded and has been the receiptent of the Mons Star"

John

Thanks for the info. John, not sure if it is 12078 William Vincent Coombs or not, he did change battalion four times so that fits but he did not have the Mons Star, althou he did have 1914-15 Star.

Annette

Annette,

I have offered my R Warwicks database to Chris to see if he can add it to the site in a way that members can do their own look-ups.

Rob

Thats very decent of you.Ta :)

Well, I have it here on my computer, plus copies, but I would hate a tech crash to wipe it all out, so at least it will be available to all this way.

I'm considering starting a Worcesters database next...cos I'm really sad, have no friends and no life!

Rob

Nice one Rob, I hope to get mine out to the wide world via the Shropshire Regimental Museum, and if you do start a Worcesters database let me know and I'll send you any Worcs I can find in South Shropshire Absent Voters lists.

Annette

Hi John

I can only find a Henry S., Mitchell who transfarred to the Devon Regt. My database is missing the names of about 1,000 or more men who did not go overseas, so not 100% complete.

Annette

Hello Annette, do you have anything on Pte. Cecil William Sawyer, 20772, 1st KSLI, prev. 33561 Suffolk Regt. He's recorded as Died POW 14/5/1918, buried Braine-Le-Comte Communal Cemetery which I presume was somewhere behind the German lines. I have no idea how long he'd been a POW. He was a Suffolk boy, came from the same village as my grandfather and appears on the same Roll of Honour in the village church.

Keith

Annette,

I have a soldier on the memorial in Lichfield called Walter H Mitchell. As part of my research I was checking his marriage to a local woman and found that when he married in July 1915 he residing at the Surgical Home/House at Bas-church(that is how it was written) and a Corporal in the KSLI 2nd Battalion.

By the time he died in December 1917he was listed as part of the Machine Gun Corps. I thought I would note it just in case it was extra information for you.

John