The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Shropshire Light Infantry

Annette Burgoyne

Hi Barry

This is all I have on Pte. Long

Born Oxford

Resided Swansea

Son of Martha & Henry Long, of Oxford; husband of the late Alice Maud Long.

Enlisted Cardiff about mid November 1914

Landed in France/Flanders on 19-12-15 & joined the 7th Batt.

The 7th Batt. were in trenches at Bois Carre, near St. Eloi. on the 13th May 1916, and he is buried in Buried in La Clytte Military Cemetery, Heuvelland.

Annette

Hi Annette

Anything you can add to this chap? I have his medals, and he appears on our War Memorial:

PRIVATE ALFRED DICKENS

Died 8th April 1917

No. 20760 of the Kings Shropshire Light Infantry, 5th Battalion.

Born: Stewkley, Bucks 1885

Resided: Woburn Sands

Enlisted: Bedford

The son of Robert and Mary Dickens, Alfred was married to Beatrice Ellen, but it appears she remarried quite soon after his death, as she is refered to as Beatrice Ellen Rosier in some records, at 60 Garfield Street, Bedford. Alfred had previously served with the Suffolk Regiment, no. 31486. He was killed in action on the first day of the Battle of Arras - Vimy Ridge, aged 32.

He is listed on the Tilloy British Cemetery, Tilloy-les-Mofflaines, Pas de Calais, France. Listed on the Woburn Sands Memorial. His army service papers have not survived. His Medal Roll indicates that he had not served during 1914 or 1915, or he would have been eligible for the 1914 or 1914-15 Star.

Many thanks

Paul

Hi Paul

All I can add is info. going of other mens records near his number. About 132-140 men trans. to the Shropshire on 14-11-16 and joined the 3rd Batt. They were posted to Base Depot France on 29-11-16 & joined 5th Batt. on 10-12-16.

Annette

Thanks Annette, it all helps!

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Ireneturner
Hi all

Most of the Pals will know that I am compiling a database of all the men who joined the Kings Shropshire Light Infantry (Great War only) but many new Pals may not be aware of this. Any information would be greatfully received. Also willing to do look ups for anyone with K.S.L.I. interest.

One day when finished I will make the database available to Library service or who ever can make best use of it.

Annette

Hi Annette

I am new at this! I am trying to find a photographs of the KSLI 5th batallion - 1915-1916 - can you help?

My Great Uncle was killed in action in Sept 1916 - Arthur John Davies (known as Jack)

I would also like to know where they were from October 5th to Sept 16th 1916 - can you help on this pleas

thanks

Irene

Hi Irene

I have replied to your other post about a photo of the 5th Battalion. I can give you brief details of the Battalions movements from 5th Oct. 1915 to 16th Sept 1916, I do not have their war diary yet but have the Regimental History, which is not very detailed.

The Battalion held the Potijze Wood sector, Ypres from 18th Oct to mid November, from then to 11th Feb. 1916 it held the sector between Morteldje Estaminet & the canal. After a short spell of rest at Wormhout it moved south to Arras arriving in this area during the early part of March. Most of its tour of the front line were in the Ronville sector. During late July the Battalion started to made its way to the Somme, reaching Buire-Sur-L'Ancre on the 7th Aug. On the 24th Aug. it took part in an attack to clear Delville Wood, the Battalion gained its objectives but had to give them up because the units on its right did not gain their objective. They were in Deville Wood again from 28th-31st Aug. After a rest they moved to battle area near Mericourt on 11th Sept. By the early hours of the 15th they were had moved to their jump off line on the edge of Deville wood. I have some details of the Battalions attack on this day but can't find them at moment, will add more once I have found the notes I have.

Annette

• 5 weeks later...
Hi all

Most of the Pals will know that I am compiling a database of all the men who joined the Kings Shropshire Light Infantry (Great War only) but many new Pals may not be aware of this. Any information would be greatfully received. Also willing to do look ups for anyone with K.S.L.I. interest.

One day when finished I will make the database available to Library service or who ever can make best use of it.

Annette

Hi Annette

We have two medals awarded to my wife's great uncle, but we know nothing about him or his service. The medals are engraved SR-6667 Pte H Millington Shropshire LI. Do you have Pte Millington in your records, and if so is it possible to establish where he served?

Thanks

Tim Hill

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Tim

Sorry for the delay, my computer as been out of action for the last week.

6667 Pte. Millington, Henry, is recorded as a special Reserve. He enlisted at Shrewsbury somewhere between the 4th & 10th August 1914. He was born at Hampton Beach, the son of Mary Millington, of Hampton Beach, Worthen, Salop, and the late Thomas Millington.

He was killed with the 2/K.S.L.I. on 05/09/18, I have not found a 1914-15 Star medal roll entry for him, so that means he went overseas after 1915, the Battalion had moved to Salonica in late 1915.

He is buried in Karasouli Military Cemetery, Greece (D.935). Info. from Soldiers Died & C.W.G.C.

Annette

Hi Tim

Sorry for the delay, my computer as been out of action for the last week.

6667 Pte. Millington, Henry, is recorded as a special Reserve. He enlisted at Shrewsbury somewhere between the 4th & 10th August 1914. He was born at Hampton Beach, the son of Mary Millington, of Hampton Beach, Worthen, Salop, and the late Thomas Millington.

He was killed with the 2/K.S.L.I. on 05/09/18, I have not found a 1914-15 Star medal roll entry for him, so that means he went overseas after 1915, the Battalion had moved to Salonica in late 1915.

He is buried in Karasouli Military Cemetery, Greece (D.935). Info. from Soldiers Died & C.W.G.C.

Annette

Hi Annette

Thanks you very much for this info - it is much appreciated. Although the Millington family is large, most of the older generation have now passed away so much of what we can find out is unsubstantiated 'family rumour'. There was talk that he was KIA but nothing to verify it - this gives us a good pointer to start looking for facts!

Cheers

Tim

Hi all

Annette

Hi Annette,

I wonder if you might have any information on soldiers of the 4th Bn KSLI? I am interested in 200532 Charles Morris who died on 4 May 1918 and is commemorated on the Tyne Cot Memorial. The Regimental History mentions only 'two short periods in the front line and one in support' in early May 1918 and I wondered if you might know any more about this period.

Secondly, Morris' medal card shows an earlier number of 2066 but I can't as yet find any traces of others with a similar number. What do you think?

Finally, you mentioned in an earlier post the 'Ludlow Advertiser'. Do you know where copies might be held?

Hoping you can help,

Alison

Thanks you very much for this info

Glad to be of help Tim. I am working on the 1st & 2nd K.S.L.I. histories but it will be sometime before I get to covering tha Battalions time in Salonica.

Hi Alison

Charles Thomas, Morris is lived on the Bonk (Clee Hill) at 13 Angel Bank, Clee Hill, I am from the Bonk and am very interested in the lads from the Hill who fort in the war.

2066 is his original number, he enlisted some time between 31-03-14 & 14-04-14 at Knowbury along with 10 or so others from the Clee Hill area.

I do not have a lot on him but can tell you he was wounded sometime in late 1917, possibly the 30-12-17, this info. is from the Ludlow Advertiser. The Museum have a few copies from the war years but they are in a bad state. A chap from Ludlow told me that the Library was talking about getting copies from the Colindale paper collection but I have not heard if they have done this yet.

I can’t tell you too much about the 1/4th as I have not done much research on this Battalion yet. But I can give you the following info. from the 19th Divisional History to which the Battalion belong at the time –The Division relieved the 21st Division in the Dickebusch sector on the 1st May 1918, with the 58th Brigade on the right and 56th Brigade on the left. Their line ran from French Farm (1,000 yards south-west of Zillebeke) to about 1,300 yards due west of Vierstraat. The 1/4th K.S.L.I. may have been on the far left of the line but this is just a guess, the Regimental History records them relieving battalions of the K.O.Y.L.I. and Bedfordshire Regt. but there was no Bedfords. in the 21st Division but the 6th Division, who were on the left flank of the 21st Division did. Anyway back to facts, looking at soldiers died & C.W.G.C. data six men from the Battalion were killed in action between the 1st & 4th May, three of which were killed on the 4th. The Divisional History records that an intended attack by the enemy on the 4th May was broken up by counter-artillery measures.

Annette

Guest Saintleona

Hi Annette

Are you still researching KSLI

I am researching Lance Corporal James Bray (19710) He was in the 7th Battalion and was killed in action at the Battle of Arras on 9 April 1917. Hew was from Belmont in Herefordshire.

Do you have any information on the 7th Battalion

Hi Leona

I have not done any research into the 7th Battalion but I have the Regimental History so could give you breif details about the Battalion.

I do not have much on James Bray other than C.W.G.C. & Soldiers Died details, you may already have firm details on him. He was called up on or near 24-01-16, I do not have his Victory/British medal roll details yet so I can't say if he served in any other battalion of the Regiment, he is likely to have landed in France any time have late May 1916 (most proberly in the June 1916).

I think he may have also enlisted in 1914 with the No. 11166 but discharged soon after.

Annette

Annette,

Many thanks - this is a great help. If he enlisted in 1914 though, why wasn't he eligible for at least the 1915 star?

My interest in 4/KSLI is a one-off for a friend. My main area is 6th KSLI as I am researching the War Memorials in Whixall, Tilstock and Edstaston. I don't want to inundate you with requests for information that I could find myself but may need to contact you if I get stuck. Would that be all right?

Alison

Hi Alison

Medal entitlement depends on when he went overseas. I do not have many of the T.A. medal rolls enteries yet, those I do have are from the Victory/British rolls.

Feel free to ask for any help either on the 6th Battalion (or any of the other battalions) or the men, I have the names of about 39 Whixall men (15 lost their lives), 22 Tilstock men (8 lost their lives) and 9 Edstaston men (4 lost their lives).

Annette

Sorry, Annette: senior moment here! I signed off the last message before realising that I need just to check something with you about Charles Morris. Did you mean that 10 or so lads from the Clee Hill area joined up in early 1914? Should this be 1915 or was there a particularly persuasive TF recruiter around at the time?

Alison

Hi Alison

I would say that the Terriers had a recruiting drive in the area at the time. The TA would turn out to fates and other do's, but not to sure what would be going on during March. Looks like they were in Ludlow recruiting in late January 1914, the Ironbridge area in early May 1914 and so on.

Annette

Hi Annette,

I have some information that may be of use to use about my grandfather, Edward Charles Jones (280019 or 200019)

He joined the KSLI in 1907 aged 18 years 11 months, served in India August 1914 ~ January 1915, then China 1915 ~ April 1917, France July 1917 ~ January 1918.

He was wounded (gunshot to shoulder & gas) on 30 October 1917.

Last record i can find for him, was that he was in the RDC 16 November 1918 (No 87960).

Hope this can be of some use, and if you have anymore information i would be pleased to hear from you

Dave

Hi Dave

Thanks for the info., I did have him in my records but I did not have details abouts him being wounded, so will add this to his file. His number is 200019. He is recorded in The Absent Voters Lists as residing at 9 Bennetts Bank, Wellington.

Do you know his original number, it should be some where between 211 & 294, also can I check the year he enlisted, all the men I know about near his number enlisted in April/May 1908 ?

Thanks

Annette

Harry Swinnerton 6220 1st Battalion KSLI

Private Harry Swinnerton has been killed in action on the 9th August 1915, native of Newcastle under lyme, prior to enlistment he was a postman at Stoke, he had previously served in South Africa and was stationed in India, hope this helps

Also does anyone know what the battalion were doing at the time of his death ?

post-9296-1231872868.jpg

Hi Annette

Have you got anything on a Pte Harold Fletcher No 9827

Enlisted 13 January 1912 to 13 September 1916

Discharged due to wounds

Regards Doug