Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Shropshire Light Infantry

Annette Burgoyne

Hi John

I must be lossing brain cells fast, I was looking under Henry and not Walter Henry :blush:

Here is the info. I have on him

9363 Sgt. Mitchell, Walter Henry, Born Solihull. Resided Madeley, Shrops. Enlisted Shrewsbury. Landed in F/F on 20/12/14 with 2/K.S.L.I. Trans. to 111th Coy M.G.C. with No. 5941. D. of W. 24/12/17 aged 30. Stepson of Ellen Mitchell, of Isolation Hospital, Marston Green, nr. Birmingham; husband of Ellen Louisa, of 13, Levitts Fields, Lichfield. Buried in Mont Huon Miltiary Cemetery Le Treport. Info. from M.G.C. medal roll, Soldiers Died & C.W.G.C.

Hi Keith

I do not have much info. no Pte. Cecil William Sawyer batch of numbers, most of the men if not all in this batch come from other Regiments, there are a handful of Suffolk Regt., all killed or died, althou there could be many others that do not show up in the on-line M.I.C.'s because they only served in Training Battalions of the Suffolk Regt. Most of the Suffolk Regt. lads were killed with the 5th Battalion, and I think Pte. Sawyer may well have also been in this battalion, it was disbanded in Feb. 1918, one company joining the 1st Battalion. I think he would have been captured between 21st-23rd March 1918 (please bear in mind this is just a guess on my part). Braine-Le-Comte Communal Cemetery contains mostly P.O.W.'s, there are three or four from 1919 which must have been clearing the battlefields ? and a few Second War chaps, the earliest date of death is the 24th March 1918.

Annette

• 2 weeks later...

HI

Came across this forum and woundered if you have any info on the following.

L/Cpl George Fardoe 13894 of the 7th Bt King Shrophire Light Infantry

He died 16th July 1916 of wounds in a Feild Hospital at Abbeville.

This is as much as I know of him so ay other information would be of intrest.

Leslie

Annette,

I went to Cheltenham at the weekend researching a WW1 Hospital picture and looking through the archives I found two soldiers mentioned from the KSLI that I noted down. Now they might have more and given time...who knows.

They are Pte JW Price and Sergeant B Bishop(this last one missing since 22.3.18) with photographs. Any use?

The short title of the book is the Graphic and lists with photos all the men serving relating to Cheltenham/Gloucester/Stroud/Cirencester. In fact it is a weekly photographic journal of anything and everything in that area and is truly fascinating. A study on its own could be done from the war years

John

• 4 weeks later...
Hi John

I must be lossing brain cells fast, I was looking under Henry and not Walter Henry :blush:

Here is the info. I have on him

9363 Sgt. Mitchell, Walter Henry, Born Solihull. Resided Madeley, Shrops. Enlisted Shrewsbury. Landed in F/F on 20/12/14 with 2/K.S.L.I. Trans. to 111th Coy M.G.C. with No. 5941. D. of W. 24/12/17 aged 30. Stepson of Ellen Mitchell, of Isolation Hospital, Marston Green, nr. Birmingham; husband of Ellen Louisa, of 13, Levitts Fields, Lichfield. Buried in Mont Huon Miltiary Cemetery Le Treport. Info. from M.G.C. medal roll, Soldiers Died & C.W.G.C.

Hi Keith

I do not have much info. no Pte. Cecil William Sawyer batch of numbers, most of the men if not all in this batch come from other Regiments, there are a handful of Suffolk Regt., all killed or died, althou there could be many others that do not show up in the on-line M.I.C.'s because they only served in Training Battalions of the Suffolk Regt. Most of the Suffolk Regt. lads were killed with the 5th Battalion, and I think Pte. Sawyer may well have also been in this battalion, it was disbanded in Feb. 1918, one company joining the 1st Battalion. I think he would have been captured between 21st-23rd March 1918 (please bear in mind this is just a guess on my part). Braine-Le-Comte Communal Cemetery contains mostly P.O.W.'s, there are three or four from 1919 which must have been clearing the battlefields ? and a few Second War chaps, the earliest date of death is the 24th March 1918.

Annette

hi annette, i would appreciate any info you can give me on 8056 Pte Harry Pooler of 1 KSLI.

i believe he went to france in nov 1914

many thanks paul

Firstly, Leslie and John a big sorry, I should have replied sooner, I have been very busy downing pension papers.

Leslie I can't add anything about L/Cpl George Fardoe, I could give you info. about what the 7th Batt. were doing leading up to his death but it may be a while before I can get around to typing info. up still lots of pension papers to find and down load.

John the book sounds very interesting, and if its not too late I would be interested in anythink that you find thanks.

Hi Paul

The only info. I have on Harry Pooler is that he landed in France/Flander on 02/11/14 and joined the 1st Battalion, sorry I can't help more. Would you know if he is related to 10371 Pte. John Pooler, I only ask because John resided in Ketley.

Regards All

Annette

Firstly, Leslie and John a big sorry, I should have replied sooner, I have been very busy downing pension papers.

Leslie I can't add anything about L/Cpl George Fardoe, I could give you info. about what the 7th Batt. were doing leading up to his death but it may be a while before I can get around to typing info. up still lots of pension papers to find and down load.

John the book sounds very interesting, and if its not too late I would be interested in anythink that you find thanks.

Hi Paul

The only info. I have on Harry Pooler is that he landed in France/Flander on 02/11/14 and joined the 1st Battalion, sorry I can help more. Would you know if he is related to 10371 Pte. John Pooler, I only ask because John resided in Ketley.

Regards All

Annette

hi annette,

i dont know if harry was related to john but i know that john was killed on 21/10/1914. also i have found from 1901 census john (aged 8) percy (aged 5) and george (aged 7) brothers born in Boningdale,Salop. these may be 10371 john, 201410 percy and 201409 george pooler of the K.S.L.I. I dont know any more yet but if i find out more i'll let you know.

paul

Hello Annette,

Do you have any information on someone called Underhill, please. I think his initial was 'O' and he was an officer promoted from the ranks. He served with Hesketh-Prichard at 1st Army School of Sniping and subsequently was Commandant of the British Army School of Sniping at Eindhoven in World War II. He is mentioned in Clifford Shore's book 'With British Snipers to the Third Reich.'

Any information, especially first name would be gratefully received.

Many thanks,

Bandicoot

Hi Annette,

I wonder where you had disappeared to? Next time I go down I will try and get some further information.

By the way, do you have a Charles Jarvis, a William Sawkins(this last one might not be right) and a A William Gardener. I have located these men on a memorial rapidly vanishing in Upton Bishop in Herefordshire. I have written the names that are still legible.

John

Hi Paul

According to Soldier Died John was born at Shifnal but any source of info. can get it wrong. George Henry is recorded in the Absent Voters Lists for 1918 and his residance is 4 Woodhouse Lane Boningdale. Percy is also in the Absent Voters Lists but his residance is 17 Cross Road, Albrighton.

Hi Bandicoot

The Regimental History records a Colour Sergeant O. Underhill of the rd Battalion, who was granted a commission. The 1st Battalion's war diary records a 2nd Lt. O. Underhill joining them on the 22nd August 1915. He is mentioned again on 3-12-15, when he is recorded as going on leave, in the same sentance it is recorded that an other officers takes over duties as M.G.O., so he must have been M.G.O. He returns from leave on the 12th. His next mention is on 13th Feb. 1916, the diary records that he takes over duties as Adjt., and his rank was Captain at that time. He was wounded on the 26th Feb. 1916, along with four O.R.s while in "B" Companies trench, the Battalion were holding the right section of trenches in the Railway Wood sector. I do not know if he returned to the 1st Battalion or any battalion of the Regiment, I have not fully researched the Officers, he is only recorded in the Regimental Histories index three times, and thats with the 3rd & 1st Battalions.

Hi John

Thanks, all help is greatfully recieved. I have found men that seem to match the men you mention except Upton Bishop is not mentioned, anyway I have a 13484 Charles Jarvis of the 7/K.S.L.I., born at How Caple, who died of wounds on 13/07/16. There is a 12815 Arthur William, Gardiner, of the 8/K.S.L.I., born Brampton Abbotts, resided Ross, who was killed in action on 27/11/16. And finally 11163 Wiiliam Sawkins of the 5th & 1/K.S.L.I., born Abbey Dore, Herefordshire resided Allensmore neither are near Upton Bishop, who was killed in action on 18/09/16 with the 1st Battalion.

Regards All

Annette

John/Annette

Arthur William Gardiner born: Brampton Abbotts and Charle Jarvis born: How Caple, both agricultural labourers were listed in The Hereford Times 12th September 1914 as having joined up with KSLI; however there is also an Albert Charles Gardener, agricultural labourer, born: Upton Bishop, who was listed at the same time as joining the R.H. & R.F.A.

Myrtle

Hi Bandicoot

I forgot to mention that his M.I.C. (on-line) gives his first name as Owen.

Hi Myrtle

Do you know if Albert Charles Gardener lost his life ? On another note Myrtle, I can't remember senting you the names from my dateabase of Herefordshire Regt. lads who moved to K.S.L.I. I'll send them today.

Annette

Hi Annette

I couldn't find any record of Albert Charles Gardener having died during WW1 but I wondered if he was a relative of John's A. William Gardener, as he was also born in Upton Bishop.

I haven't received your KSLI list yet so look forward to seeing it.

Myrtle

Thanks to Annette and Myrtle for the information.

The location is at the Howe Caple crossroads which seems to be within an area known as Upton Bishop and under the region of Ross on Wye.

I took some photos to show the poor condition of the base and about 19 WW1 men are listed with about five currently indecipherable, so my next project is to try and record and trace them before it goes altogether.

Both sets of information had given me a starting point

John

• 3 weeks later...

Annette,

My Great Paternal Grandfather was in the KSLI but I have limited information on him and I am trying to look for some confirmation of a family rumour.

He was Hubert James Jones, Born 1st January 1892 in Hereford. I believe he was a Bugler Sergeant.

I have found what I think is an MIC for him which shows that he had the 1914 Star, The Victory Medal and the British Medal.

His Regt. number is shown as 9373 and there is a little symbol by his name and also by his Victory medal entry which I don't understand. I have not seen it before. It looks like this:

. .

+

. .

and sort of looks like a union flag.

The family maintain that he was awarded either the DCM or the MM but I have not been able to verify this.

The remarks say:

Disc

Clasp 6509

1914 Clasp and Roses issued I.V. 2621/BA (I think)

d/3.2.20 dutch Clasp 6509.

He did not die in the War and went on to work as a foreman in the munitions factory at Rotherwas in Hereford. various records indicate that he was living with Joseph John Davies V.C. who was my Great Uncle of the Royal Welch Fusilliers after the war.

Would you have any information on him and also, have you any idea what that symbol means?

Thanks and best wishes

Dan

Hi Dan

Welcome to the forum. Firstly I do not know what the symbol means, someone on the forum will know for sure.

I think 9373 Sgt. Hubert J. Jones is your Great Grandfather, a lot of the following info. ties in with what your have seid. According to the info. I have, he lived (or born) at Commercial Road, Hereford. He was awarded the D.C.M. but I can not find any mention in the roll of awards in the Regimental History of him getting the M.M. (but I have come across the odd missing M.M. winner, so you can't rule out him getting the M.M.).

I have his 1914 Star medal Roll entry, which records that he entered France/France on the 10th Sept. 1914 (in fact the date should be the 9th of Sept, the K.S.L.I. rolls seem to be a day out) with the 1st Battalion. This roll also records that he was discharged but gives not date.

His D.C.M. is Gazzetted 14-3-1916, the Citation reads -He went out over the open, under rifle & M.G. fire at very close range in order to bring in a man who had been gassed in an isolated post. He is always ready to risk any danger (I may not have copied this word for word, you can look at Gazzett on-line). According to the Wellington & Shrewsbury Journal he recievied notification of award on 21/1/16, I think he may have won the D.C.M. on 19th December 1915, when the Battalion came under a gas attack (first Phosgene Gas attack in the war), this is just a guess on my part. I will have a look through the Batt.'s war diary to see if his name is mentioned, he is not recorded in the Regimental History, other then the medal roll at back of book.

Annette

Annette,

Thank you for this!

You are certainly looking at the correct HJ Jones because he lived at 20 Commercial Road, Hereford in the same house as Joseph John Davies VC. I did find the Gazette entry so thank you for the dates etc and also the information about his entry into France.

If you do happen to find anything else out about him then please let me know. I will get a photo of the Luard memorial in Hereford Cemetery for you next time I am home which will probably be on the 12th October (assuming that you don't have it already of course). Unfortunately I don't have any photos of Hubert at the moment but if I get one of him or the regiment I will send it on for your records.

Thanks once again

Dan

Thanks Dan for the offer of the photo of Lt.-Col. Luard's memorial in Hereford Cemetery, I do not have one, which is shamful on my part, seeing that I have visited Hereford meny meny times :blush:

Thanks for the link John, I have not been to that site before.

Annette

Good evening Annette, I doubt you will remember me but some years ago we did communicate ,about a book I think, also I sent a memorial silk to the Shropshires museum, I presume that with all your researching you will know of the soldier in question. If I remember correctly he was from this area but I cannot remember his name, if you have a minute sometime perhaps you could enlighten me? No rush. TIA

Regards.

Colin Braddock. Blackpool

Hi Colin

I do remember you, nice to hear from you again. I can remember the memorial silk that you sent to the museum but can't remember the soldier in question, I still have your letter alone with a hundred or so others sent to me over the years. Yours should be easy to find as it was on blue coloured paper if I remember rightly, then again my memory can be a bit dodgy at times <_<

Annette

Annette

the memorial at How Caple and the Shropshire I contacted you about recently is apparently known as the Old Gore area of Upton Bishop. Now I have finally got the 19 WW1 names and another KSLI soldier

Sergeant John Arthur Addis

King’s Shropshire Light Infantry 5th Battalion.

Born Linton, Herefords

Enlisted: Hereford

Residence: Yatton, Nr. Ross, Herefords

Died 18 March 1916 age 20 Killed in action

Notes

Son of J. C. Addis and Annie Addis, of "Redlands", Much Marcle, Glos

John