Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Shropshire Light Infantry

Annette Burgoyne

Annette,

I am currently researching Major Herbert Woolf who served with the Royal Irish Fusiliers and South Staffs Regiment during the Boer and Great War. On searching through his family I found he had a son who was killed whilst serving with the Kings Shropshire Kight Infantry.

2nd Lt. Walter Francis Woolf, 7th Bn, Age 20 date of death 27th March 1918

I would be interested if you have any information on this officer

Kind Regards

Andy

Hello Annette,

There is no rush re. the soldier /silk, although if my old memory serves me he was called Pooley & came from Failsworth? Somewhere I have your letter, I may find it first.!! :unsure:

Hi Colin

The soldier was 18177 Pte. Joseph, Cooper. Born Haughton, Lancs. Enlisted in Hyde somewhere around May/June 1915 (guess made from info. of other men near his number). He served in the 1st & 7th Battalions, being killed on 14th July 1917 with the 7th Battalion, who attacked near Bazentin le Grand. He as no known grave.

Hi John

11292 Sgt. Addis, enlisted around the 27th or 28th August 1914 (guess made from info. of other men near his number). He landed in France/Flanders on the 21st May 1915, alone with rest of the 5th Battalion (his medal roll gives the date as 22nd but the K.S.L.I. medal rolls seem to be a day out). The Battalion were in trenches in the Ronville sector, Arras on the 18th March 1916. He is buried in Cabaret-Rouge British Cemetery, Souchez (XVII. M. 10).

Hi Andy

Someone sent me a photo of 2nd Lt. Walter Francis Woolf, but I am ashamed to say I can't remember who, I failed to record their name :angry:

I do not know a lot about him. He was wounded on 13-11-16 with the 7th Battalion. He returned to 7th Batt. during May 1917. Rejoined again 29th Sept. 1917 (no mention of him leaving between May and September). He was killed at the Henin-Mercatel road (according to text under photo) during a violent bombardment. Buried in Wailly Orchard Cemetery.

Regards

Annette

Annette,

Many thanks for the information and the photograph, His father saw home service with the South Staffs and was still shown on the army list in 1919 at the age of 52. If I track down a photo of him I'll send you a copy

Kind regards

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Annette,

I am trying to trace my maternal grandfather who was a private in the 7th Battalion K.S.L.I. when he was married on 17th May 1915. I know he was gassed but not when. He contracted TB after the war and died in 1932.

I was wondering if he was in your database?

Kind regards

John

I have a few medal groups and other named items to the KSLI mainly the 5th and 6th Btn's, i will get there info on here as soon as.

Danny

Hi John

What's his name and I will look and see if I have anything on him.

Hi Danny

Any info. is most welcome and if I have anything you don't then I will pass in on.

Regards

Annette

Hi John

The closest match I can find is 14409 Pte. Joseph P., Wilson but I know little about this man so its hard to say if he is your grandfather. This man transfarred to the Labour Corps with the No. 128764 but I do not know his K.S.L.I. Battalion for sure, most of the men either side of his number are 7th Battalion.

Sorry I could not be of more help.

Annette

Hi Annette,

That may be him because I have a note that I think was written by my grandmother that mentions the Labour Corps. I wondered why as I knew he was in 7th Battalion when he got married. Do you know why he would have been transferred to the Labour Corps? Would it have been choice or may it have been after he was gassed? Any advice on where I could go to find out more about his military record would be very helpful.

Thanks

John

Hi John

Many men were transferred to the Labour Corps because they were no longer fit for front line duty, so it could be possible that after being gassed he was no-longer fit to rejoin a fighting unit but fit enough to join the Labour Corps.

Any advice on where I could go to find out more about his military record would be very helpful

There could be a very slim chance that his records are held at the National Archives, sadly most of the Great War service papers were distoryed in the Blitz. The pension papers are now on-line but I could not find him when I looked the other day, again these records only cover a small % of the total of men who served.

Do you know where Joseph was born or resided because if you do know you could try looking in the local papers or Absent Voters Lists (Shrewsbury Library have full set for Shropshire but I can tell you I did not find his name when looking for K.S.L.I. but if he is the 14409 Pte. Joseph P., Wilson above then he may well have moved to the Labour Corps before the lists were complied).

Also if 14409 Pte. Joseph P., Wilson is your grandfather than a look at the Labour Corps medal roll may add a little more info. but I have been told that the Labour Corps' roll do not tend to record a man's unit, so they will not be of much, if any help.

The K.S.L.I. Regimental History is an interesting read if you can get your hands on a copy, I have looked to see if the 7th Batt. suffered any notable gas attacks, they were in the line on 19th/20th Dec. 1915 when phosgene was used for the first but this attack did not effect the Battalion, althou they did suffer slight effects from their reserve line being shelled with gas. The History tends not to mention most gas attacks in the same way it does not mention every barrage.

Annette

Annette,

just been to Hereford Library looking through the Times and Journal from 1915/16.

I found a letter from Private A Phillips detailing his tale. He was invalided home to the Italian Hospital in Bloomsbury. It mentioned more than the basics I have put here. Issue 6.2.15 p 9

A rather long article about William Wall who was an habitual offender. The recent incident involved threatening to shot a driver in the area. Issue 21.10.16

Finally, 6.3.15 p8 has a photograph of the KSLI 7th Btn of Hereford men

John

Hello Annette - can I please ask if you have any information concerning 2nd Lt William Norman Legg, of the 7th Bttn, who died 24/03/1916 and is buried at Etaples. He is one of the old boys of the Royal Belfast Academical Institution that I am researching...

Many thanks

Alan

Thanks John, I pay a visit to Hereford Library next time I am in the town.

Alan, the only info. I have on him comes from the Regimental History. He landed in France alone with the rest of the 7th Battalion on 27th Sept. 1915. He was in "C" Company at the time. He was wounded on the 12th January 1916, whilst on duty at the ration dump, dying of his wounds two months later. He must have been very badly wounded seeing that he is buried at Etaples, you would think in that span of time he would have been moved back to England. I have not done any work on the 7th Battalion, as I not 100% sure where the Battalion was on the 12th Jan. 1916 but the Regt. History mentions the 7th Battalion taking over a new sector in Nov. 1915, just south of the Ypres-Commines canal, with H.Q. situated in the "Spoil Bank".

Sorry I could not be of more help

Annette

Thanks John again, if you need any info. on any K.S.L.I. lads on the Old Gore Memorial just ask.

Annette

Ross Gazette

a. May 10 1917 p 3 photograph of Sgt Morgan KSLI who died on April 9th

b. Joseph Scudamore and Sgt Morris photographs April 8th 1917

c. Ltn C Townsend was a gas manager at Hereford before enlisting

John

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Annette

Grateful for your help about the service of 2Lt Archie Holford Walker

He was commissioned into the 3rd Bn in Aug 194 and deployed to France in Feb 1915 (His MIC shows him serving the 2nd Bn. He was injured (wounded ?) and later (you were expecting this I'm sure) served with the Tanks

Do you have him on your records?

Stephen

Hi Anette

I have been researching this man

Whitmore, Herbert Searle 2nd Lieutenant

3rd Battalion King’s Shropshire Light Infantry (TF).

He was born on the 23rd of June 1891 He left Hazelwood School in the spring of 1905 for Marlborough College where he was from May 1905 to 1909 then to Sydney College Cambridge which he left in 1912 with a BA to go into his father’s business. He joined up in 1914, resigned his commission due to ill health in 1916, and was given recruiting work He lived at Hilders Green, Edenbridge, Kent

He became engaged to Miss Mary Stanbury-Eardley in 1927

Hopefully this will add to what you have but I wondered if you had anymore on his service. His brother was killed with the KSLI and you very kindly sent me some info on him a while ago/

The photo of Lt Woolf was from the Lancing College roll and sent by me!

Many thanks Hambo

Hi Stephen

The only info. I have on 2Lt Archie Holford Walker is from the Regimental History, which records him being wounded during a counter-attack during the earlie hours of the 28th April 1915, I do have photos of the 2nd Batt.'s diary but many pages are not very clear but I will look and see if I can see his name but I am very busy at moment, so may be a few weeks before I get arourd to this (if you have not heard from me in, say 2 weeks, email me to remind me).

Hi Hambo

The photo of Lt Woolf was from the Lancing College roll and sent by me

Thanks for reminding me and sorry for not making a note at the time. As for 2nd Lieutenant Herbert Searle, Whitmore, I have nothing on him at all, sorry.

Annette

Annette - you're a star - thank you for replying so quickly; please come back to me when you have the time

Stephen

Thanks for checking, hopefully it adds to your data. if I find anymore about him, I'll let you know

• 2 weeks later...

My grandfather served with the 10th BN KSLI

Thomas Brookes Minshall (18 August 1888 - 30 May 1964)

Enlisted at Chester into the 1st/1st Bn Cheshire Yeomanry and allocated No. 1033 (27.8.14)

Appointed Lance Corporal (17.2.15)

Appointed Acting Corporal (21.2.16)

Appointed Lance Sergeant (22.10.16)

In 1917 the Shropshire and Cheshire Yeomanry amalgamated to form:

10th (Shropshire and Cheshire Yeomanry) Battalion Kings Shropshire Light Infantry

Appointed Acting Sergeant (19.6.17)

Granted a Commission in the Field as 2nd Lieutenant 1st/1st Bn Suffolk Yeomanry (8.12.17)

If you have anymore information I would be pleased to hear. I have quite a bit, including notes he wrote while in Palestine and quite a few of his photographs from Egypt and Palestine, plus some maps and his Cadet Class note book from Oct -Dec 1917.

David

• 2 weeks later...

Re. the above and Thomas Brookes Minshall, I have an update on service numbers, well three!

1033 - which was the number allocated on his enlistment with the Cheshire Yeomanry in August 1914.

225806 - this appears on two document I have. Would this number have been allocated to Thomas when the Shropshire and Cheshire Yeomanry amalgamated to form the 10th Battn KSLI?

230730 - this appears to be his final number. Am I right in assuming that on his discharge from the KSLI, commssion in the field and appointment with the Suffolk Yeomanry he was allocated a new number?

Thanks.

David