Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Shropshire Light Infantry

Annette Burgoyne

Hi Annette,

Haven't scanned them all yet but will post as soon as. Please feel free to use the photo's in any way you wish. What you are doing for the local men who served in the war is great. I would hope the famillies of these men would help you in your work if they possibly could.

I had already cleaned up a couple of photo's of the Shropshire Yeomanry but they are to large for this site, 500-600Kb each. If you are going to use them for a book I could clean them all up and either email or burn to a disc for you.

This is the photo of Tom Butcher.

post-17375-1168085573.jpg

Eric.

Annette,

Another of Tom Butcher. Do you know how he met his death?

post-17375-1168085728.jpg

Eric.

Hi Annette,

Bit of a tricky one this!

Alfred Simpson. Died 31/10/1914 serving at that time with the 2KRRC. I have obtained a photograph and from others in the forum, they inform me that he is wearing the uniform of the KSLI.

After initial confusion the best guess is that prior to the Great War he had previously served with the KSLI, hence the photograph. Im sorry but I have no other personel detail. Please see attached. Not sure about the medal it has been suggested QSA, but not sure. Can this be checked?

Your help would be greatly appreciated to solve this mystery! Stephen :D

post-17939-1168090210.jpg

Many thanks Eric for photos of Tom. Tom died of wounds, he is recorded wounded in the Ludlow Advertiser on 19-1-18, as a rule it took a month from time of wound/death to time it appeared in paper but the 10th Batt. do not seem to have been in action around mid December, the closest action I can find is on 10th November 1917, when the Battalion made an attack near Et Tirch, Palestine, they captured near by hill called Sheikh Hassan but the Turks counter-attacked and the K.S.L.I. had to retire.

Hi Stephen

I do not have any info. on him. I will ask the Regimental Museum if they have anything on a Alfred Simpson.

Annette

Hi Annette,

On the back of this photo grandad has written "this is one of my mates".

Unfortunately no name.

post-17375-1168103277.jpg

Eric.

Annette,

Do you think this is the same chap as the one on horseback? The one on horseback was taken by CHI? STUDIO 23, WYLE COP. SHREWSBURY. Maybe Ye Olde Bush survives.

post-17375-1168120031.jpg

I think this chap is Shropshire Yeomanry as well. The back of the card is the same format as the one of Tom Butcher posing with rifle.

post-17375-1168120086.jpg

Cheers.

Eric.

Hi all

Most of the Pals will know that I am compiling a database of all the men who joined the Kings Shropshire Light Infantry (Great War only) but many new Pals may not be aware of this. Any information would be greatfully received. Also willing to do look ups for anyone with K.S.L.I. interest.

One day when finished I will make the database available to Library service or who ever can make best use of it.

Annette

Hi Eric

It could be the same chap, the nose looks the same in both photos. I too wonder if the Ye Olde Bush is still there. I am not sure if the chap in the last photo is Shropshire Yeo., the cap badge looks too big ?

Hi gailweston

Not sure what you want but welcome to the forum.

Annette

Hi Annette,

This photo intrigues me a little. On the back of the card grandad wrote "I'm marked with an x. I don't know the other chap. I thought I would send it home". The card was printed in Paris. Now us Evans' may not be the sharpest knives in the drawer, but you would of thought his parents wouldn't need any prompting to recognise their eldest son {tho' they did have 7}. Maybe he felt he had changed after his experiences of being in the army for almost four years. Certainly mentally if not physically.

I think you're right about the other chap in my previous post. I have a few cards of soldiers with different cap badges that should be family related. I'm sure someone will identify the regiments if I start a new thread.

post-17375-1168283323.jpg

Eric.

Guest roadrunner465
Hi all

Most of the Pals will know that I am compiling a database of all the men who joined the Kings Shropshire Light Infantry (Great War only) but many new Pals may not be aware of this. Any information would be greatfully received. Also willing to do look ups for anyone with K.S.L.I. interest.

One day when finished I will make the database available to Library service or who ever can make best use of it.

Annette

Hello Myrtle,

Re: Transfers between regiments.

I have just received this reply from the Herefordshire Light Infantry Museum.

The 1st/1st Bn Herefordshire Regiment was overseas in Gallipoli and Palestine from Aug 1915 to June 1918 when the Bn was sent to France. The 2nd/1st & 3dr/1st Bns were raised but were used as reserve Bns to provide reinforcements where necessary, many to the 1st/1st Bns and also to the Kings Shropshire Light Infantry Bns. We know that about 130 went to the 11th Bn Border Regiment, and also 70 to 7th Bn Cheshire Regiment. These are the largest groups that we know about, but there would have been many others sent as individuals or in groups to other Regiments. The two Bns were eventually amalgamated and became 4th(Reserve) Bn of the Kings Shropshire Light Infantry.

Enjoy your supper? Regards,

Dennis

Dennis

As we suspected. Thanks for posting reply. Remember, there were also the 1st/1st men who had been returned home injured/ill from Gallipoli and then transferred to other regiments.

Myrtle

We know that about 130 went to the 11th Bn Border Regiment

But they did not go straight from Herefords to Borders because these men have K.S.L.I. numbers, still does not explain if it was only a paper transfar to K.S.L.I. or if they trained with them ?

Annette

Annette

I haven't forgotten the question of the KSLI. I will be checking this as I research the Herefords. I have been diverted by finding that a great uncle's war service record has survived, (Thanks Alie) but he was in the South Lancs.

Myrtle

Hi Annette,

I learnt last night from my aunt that grandad had 2 brothers who were called up. They were twins, Thomas Edward Evans and David Henry Evans, born 5-4-1895. Sorry no other info other than they survived the war. Would you have them on your database? Not even sure if they were in the Shropshires.

Thanks.

Eric.

Hi Eric

I have found Thomas Edward

21376 Pte. Evans, Thomas Edward, Resided Catherton Farm. 6th & 7/K.S.L.I. Wounded about the 21st - 28th March 1918 with 7th. Info. from Absent Voters Lists 1918, Victory/British War Medal Rolls & Ludlow Adv. 27/4/18.

I can't find David Henry but I have the Absent Voters lists for South Shropshire, which record both your grandfather and his brother Thomas Edward, it could be that David Henry served with another Regiment or Corps. Will get back to you.

Also Eric could you pass my email address onto Steve because I still have not found his email address, thanks.

Hi Myrtle

I haven't forgotten the question of the KSLI. I will be checking this as I research the Herefords.

Thanks Myrtle. Are you going to Database meeting at Birmingham, would be great to meet you.

Annette

Hi Myrtle

Yes I am going to the Database day

It should be a very interesting day, and great to meet so many Bakers Pals.

Hi Eric

David Henry is not recorded in the Absent Voters with his brothers, that could be down to a couple reasons, one -he was not in forces, two- he was nolonger living at home.

Annette

Thanks Annette,

I looked up David Henry in the NA. Found two men, one dorset one devon. One of my aunts is trying to find a photo of the twins together in uniform for me. If I post it I'm sure one of the members on the forum will soon tell me his regiment.

Cheers

Eric.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Annette,

Photo of Thomas Edward Evans.

post-17375-1170024542.jpg

Cheers,

Eric.

That's great Eric, many thanks, my collect of K.S.L.I. photo's is slowly growing.

Annette

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Myrtle

Once I get around to it Myrtle I will send you my list of men, for you to look over. Also I have not forgot about the info. on the 7/K.S.L.I. attack on 27-9-18, I have conflicting information, and I am still looking to find out which is correct (I may have to make a post on the forum).

Hi Eric

Say hi to Steve and tell him I will contact him once I find his email again (I did find before my trip to Ypres a few weeks ago but it as since disappeared under paper work :( . It fact he sould join the forum himself, as he may find the help he wants, there are lots of experts.

I have Robert Cleeton & Harry Yapp in my records. I take it that Harry and Frederick were related, both being born at Farlow. Harry was killed opposite Queant. Robert Cleeton never made it overseas and may have died of the flu or some sort of outbreak because seven men of the 4th Reserve Battalion with numbers close to Roberts died within a two month period. Roberts is recorded in the Absent Voters Lists as residing at 6 Watsall.

Annette

Hi Annette,

Harry and Frederick were related.. Harry's Farther Samual, was Frederick's brother. Harry's Mother was Mary Blount of the Cleobury Norths Blounts. Samual was one of a number of Frederick's brothers, another of which was one Sydney Yapp who was my Great Grandfarther. He apparently commited suicide in 1916.. I've always wondered why.. Maybe it had something to do with the lost of his younger brother?

Regards

Haydn

Hi Haydn

Thanks for info. about Frederick & Harry.

In reply to your other post you made in another thread.

21345 Harry Yapp was killed opposite Queant, with the 1st Batt., on the 22-3-18, he as no grave. I am working on the 1st Battalion at moment, I have not yet fully looked at 1918 but have done some work on the fighting during March 1918, I will type out brief details for you and Eric.

23634 Frederick Yapp was killed on 18-8-16, the 7th K.S.L.I. were in support of an attack by 10/R.W.F. on trenches near Maltzhorn Farm, I have posted a little more info. on this attack somewhere in this thread but I am hopeless at finding old posts, will try and find it later.

Also if your intested, I have the following in my database, who could be related to Mary Blount ?

Blount, Albert, Born Burwarton

Blount, Edward T., Resided Pearl Cottage, Chorley

Blount, Ernest, Born Burwarton, Shrops.

Blount, Richard, Absent Voters records him resided at Hill Side Cleobury North but also at Monksfield Chirbury ?

There is also a Blount, Henry, of Neenton, Nr. Bridgnorth, who may be related.

Annette

Hi Hadyn,

Sydney Yapp was my Great grandad also. He died on 10th August 1916 and is buried in Hopton Wafers churchyard. Like you I have wondered if there was a connection between Sydney and Fredericks death. I did ask Ludlow Museum if they could find a coroners report in the Advertiser only last week, but they tell me they have no copies for the year 1916.

Cheers,

Eric.