Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Shropshire Light Infantry

Annette Burgoyne

Neil,

Yes, all of my mum's side of the family are from Shropshire, and I visit regularly. None were killed though, would they still be on there?

Quite a few list those who survived aswell. What area of Shropshire were they from?

Thanks for your assistance. I dont really know much about the Cookson family as he was my Great great nan's 2nd husband. Theres probably a chance they are related though. I try and find out later and let you know. Cheers.

Hi Joss

Edwin enlisted on 7th December 1915, and mobilized on 8th February 1916. His length of service would have started from 7th Dec. 1915.

Annette

Thanks very much again, thats brilliant, I thought i'd hit a wall with his research before I joined the forum. Where did you find that? Any idea where he enlisted? So was he not a derby scheme man then, and in the battalion before June 1916? Joss

Hi Joss

I got the info. from his pension papers, there is Army Form B.178 (Medical History), this records the date he was examined, which was 7-12-15 at Much Wenlock, at the bottom of the form it should give an enlistment date but does not in his case. I have not found his Attestation form, which would recorded the enlistment date but I know from other men very near his number, who's Attestation form I have, that they enlisted on the day of examined or in some case a few days after. All the men in the number range 19810 - 19999 who papers I have Attested in mid December 1915, and were called up in early February 1916.

I am 99% sure he was a Derby scheme man, have a look at the mother site (The Long Long Trail), go to home, then insights, then click on "Derby or Group Scheme" link, this gives a very good explination of the Derby Scheme.

It tended to take about four months to under go training, so landing in France in June is about right for most men called up in February.

Annette

Hello All,

This is a very very long shot ...

We have a photograph of my husbands' Dads' Uncle! in army uniform.

My father in Law is 96 now and is of very sound mind, but, all he can tell us of his Uncle is that he believed he was in the Shropshires.

I have tried to locate any records of him on Ancestry, the last record I have of him is off 1911 census when he was 23 and a road labourer living at home with his parents.

There are several records in Military but none seem to match what little we know.

Unfortunately I don't even have his reg number.

He was born and lived in Albrighton, Shropshire. (that's the Albrighton near Wolverhampton)

He was born 1888. Father was Thomas Wedge Mother Ellen Wedge.

His name was EDWIN WEDGE.

I appreciate this is a very long shot, but if anyone can help it waould be great appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Sherie

Hi Sherie

I can not find a EDWIN WEDGE but the following chap could be him or a brother.

6672 (SR) Pte. Wedge, George, born Oakengates, Shrops. Resided Albrighton Enlisted Shrewsbury Landed in France 06/02/15. Joined 2nd K.S.L.I. but later moved to 7/K.S.L.I. K. in A. 13/05/17 aged 24, son of Thomas and Ellen, of 3, Worcester Rd., Albrighton. His name is on the Arras Memorial. Info. from 1914-15 Star Medal Roll, Soldiers Died & C.W.G.C.

Other Wedges in my database are:-

6398 Pte. Wedge, Harry, K.S.L.I. Trans. to R.E. 244758. Info. from M.I.C.

10517 Pte. Wedge, Fred, Born Wellington, Shrops. Enlisted Shrewsbury on 08/08/1914. 5/K.S.L.I. "A" Coy. Discharged 12-12-14. Info. from service papers.

17599 Pte. Wedge, William, Landed in France 18/09/15, and joined 5/K.S.L.I. SWB List J/468. Info. from M.I.C., Victory/British War Medal Roll & 1914-15 Star Medal Roll.

34502 Pte. Wedge, Frederick, Resided 51 Wrekin Rd., Wellington, Shrops. 3/K.S.L.I. Info. from M.I.C. & Absent Voters Lists 1918.

Annette

Interesting, George does not appear on Albrighton Memorial.

Neil

Annette

Thankyou so much for that, now I'm going to have to start another search!

We do have "George" as a brother to Edwin, everything seems to tally, apart from being born in Oakengates, but it's certainly the home address of Parents.

Can I come back to you if I find out any more information that I need explaining?

Thank you again for now.

Sherie

Hi Sherie

Can I come back to you if I find out any more information that I need explaining

I am happy to help, as long as I know the answer that is.

By the way Soldiers Died records "George" as being born at Oakengates but Soldiers Died as many mistakes in it, also it could be that he was not too sure where he was born. I know from looking at my family, a couple of my great uncles have different places of birth in different cenus', so I am guessing their parents could not remember were they where at the time of their births.

Annette

Hi,

I am researching my Great Grandfather and I cam across this site. His name was Francis Thomas Herbert Baker born 21/04/1891 in Shifnal.

From what I have found out he joined the K.S.L.I about Dec 1915 and from his medal roll was with the 7th Battalion. He also served with the 6 Battalion and then the 1st. It looks like he was with the 1st after the war as part of the Rhineland Ocupation and then trans over to the Cheshire Regimer sometime in 1919.

His rank was private and his number was 22368.

I havn't been able to find a lot of info as I live in Australia and as far as I know like most he didn' speak a lot about the war. I'm still looking into his service so if you come across anything that would be great.

Hope this info in useful.

Thanks

Matt

Hi Matt

Welcome to the forum. I do not have a lot on your Great Grandfather, all I have on him comes from the 1918 Absent Voters Lists, which records his residence as 49 High Street Shifnal and his Battalion as the 7th Batt. I can tell you from info. on other men near his number that he enlisted in mid December 1915 & called up on or near 1st March 1916. Also many of the men near is number went overseas in July 1916. Also from his Cheshire Regt. No., 69115, I know that he transfared to them on 20th March 1919, and that he is likeky to have served in their 1/4th Battalion.

Also Absent Voters Lists 1918 records a 200101 Pte. Baker, Ernest Charles, residing at 49 High St., Shifnal, Shrops. he served with the 1/4/K.S.L.I. & Trans. to A.S.C. with No. T/438151.

Regards

Annette

Hi

Thanks for that information. Thats going to help with my research. Also thanks on the info on his Brother. I couldn't find anything on him.

Hi Annette,

I was wondering on the Absent voters list if any of the below names come up.

Percy Alfred baker, William Henry Baker and George edward Baker.

Thanks

Matt

Hi Matt

I only made a note of K.S.L.I. men in the north Shropshire lists, so could not say if they are listed or not. You could ask in a new thread if there is anyone from Shrewsbury, were AVL is kept, who would have a look for you.

In my database I have a 7339 Pte. Baker, William Henry, 1st + 7/K.S.L.I., who was born at Hadley, which is not that far from Shifnal. He was killed at Monchy on 18-06-17.

Also there is a 5329 Pte. Baker, William Henry but I do not have any info. on him.

Annette

I am trying to find more information about my Great Uncle's service record. He was Pte 17781 James Phillip Lawrence. He died on the 18th September 1918 and was recorded as with "B" Coy 10th KSLI. From his medal card I can see that he enlisted in 1915 and first theatre of war was Fance & Flanders.

From some very brief research I know that 10th KSLI was part of the 231st Brigade, 74th Division on the date of his death and that they were fighting near Ronssoy. Could anyone tell me in more detail where the 10th were on that date please?

Any information or advice would be very welcome.

Neil L

Hi Annette,

Sorry for the late start never noticed anything about the S.L.I. on the forum

My uncle (married to a sister of my father) was Pte Henry Charles Durnford, serving in the 6th SLI (presumably the KSLI)

Service No 19241 and was KIA 16 Sept 1916. He is memorised on the Thiepval Memorial.

Do you have anything on him ?. He was living in Jersey (I think), married a Jersey girl when she was looking after her

grandfather living in Toller. They married about 1910.

David

David SLI is the Somerset Light Infantry, often gets confused with the KSLI.

Neil

Hi David

Just to confirm what Neil (ShropshireMad) says your uncle was Somerset Light Infantry. I have found many times when S.L.I. as been mistaken for Shropshire Light Infantry, the Shropshires are alway K.S.L.I..

Hi Neil L (Epehy)

Welcome to the forum. Your Great Uncle would have enlisted in late April or early May 1915 at Leominster. He landed in France on 05-10-15 and joined the 5th Battalion. He later moved to the 7th Batt., I do not know when he moved but the 5th Batt. were disbanded in Februry 1918. My local paper the Ludlow Advertiser 22-06-18 records him as wounded, it took about a months give or take a fews from the time of the wound until it was reported in papers, so I think he was wounded early to mid May but it could have been in April. I am 99% sure this would have been while he was with the 7th Batt., who suffered many casualties on the 20th May while in trenches near Lacon.

Not sure when he joined the 10th Batt. It landed in France on the 7th May 1918, and first went into the line on 10-06-18 at St. Floris. They remained in these trenches, and at rest in La Haye throughout July. Going to rest area at ? on 04-08-18. Back in trenches on 21st Aug, and next day moved forward, in conformity with an advance on the north side of the Lys Canal. This advance was held up but 10/K.S.L.I. continued to advance through high standing corn, which concealed German [osition, the Battalion was met with devastating fire, followed by severe hand-to-hand fighting, eventually the Battalion had to fall back to its start line. They were relieved on 24-08-18 and rested untill 29-08-18, when they moved to the Somme. The 74th Div., made an attack south of Moislains, but the 10/K.S.L.I. were in reserve. Next day they were in support of the 229th Brigade at Boucheavesnes. On the 6th Sept., the Batt. moved to trenches at Templeux, and the following day they passed through the 230th Bridgaes outpost line at Longavesnes and attacked Villers Faucon, which they took. On the 8th they withdrew to Longavesnes to rest, remaining here until the 17th. A general advance took place on the 18th, the 10/Batt. were in support of the 16/Devons, passing through them at about 8.30 a.m.; resistance had stiffened by then and the barrage lost, the 231st Bridgae came to a standstill. A new bombardment of their object was arranged and the Shropshires gained ground on the extreme right at about 4 p.m. and later gain the rest of its assigned frontage near Ronssoy. I will look to see if I have any maps of this area.

Regards

Annette

Annette

Thank you so much for this information. I had so many questions about great uncle James and you have answered so many in one go.

If you have any maps that would be absolutely wonderful as I am planning to visit the area around Ronssoy in June.

Once again, many thanks.

Regards

Neil L

Hi Neil L

I did find a map but it is very faded, so no good to scan, may be another member as one. There is a map (a line drawing I think) in one of the issues of Stand To, but I can't remember which one because it was well over 5 years ago that I read the articial, which was about the American attack near Bony (I think), I will dig out my old copies and have a look, that could take several days to find the issue unless I am lucky, may be some other member can this articial and which issue its in.

I was very close to the area attacked by the 10/K.S.L.I. last year, we visited Bony American Cemetery on a Battlefield tour, one day I would like to visit by myself, so I can go where I like and visit K.S.L.I. sites.

Annette