Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Shropshire Light Infantry

Annette Burgoyne

Annette, you're a marvel! Thank you so much.

I'm still not sure exactly how Joseph and his brothers (yes! I've only just worked that out!) are related to my dad's side, but being Skerratts from Nantwich, there must be a connection somewhere - probably pre-1800 though.

So Henry Shaw enlisted in June, went to France in August and was killed in September. As an old soldier I suppose it was thought he didn't need much training-up.

Thanks again, and I hope you feel better again soon!

Adrian

Hi Adrian

I am over the worst, just left with a dry cough, which seem to be hanging on.

enlisted in June, went to France in August and was killed in September. As an old soldier I suppose it was thought he didn't need much training-up
yes, I have come across a few like that, ex-service man who re-enlist and get a couple of months training (fitness training) before going overseas.

Annette

Hi Adrian

Just had a look to see if there were any others Skerratts in the K.S.L.I. and found two, one John from Railway House, Tuchingham and the other William, likely to have come from same area (Tuchingham-Whitchurch), then there is one chap who I need to check the spelling of his name.

Annette

Annette

Glad you are feeling better - here is what I have of Allnutt

Second Lieutenant Albert Edwin Allnut was killed in action aged 25 on 27th September 1918 while serving with the 7th Battalion King's Shropshire Light Infantry. He is buried in plot K. 16. at LOWRIE CEMETERY, HAVRINCOURT near Cambrai in France. He was born in 1893 in Brondesbury the only son of Alfred, an Oil Merchants Traveller, and Mary but by 1901 was living in East Ham in London and later in Aldersbrook Road, Wanstead Park in East London. A clerk by profession, he joined the Polytechnic on 15th June 1914 and was a member of the Polytechnic Rowing club. A Lance Corporal in the 2nd (City of London) Battalion (Royal Fusiliers) he served in Egypt from 30th August 1915 and also saw service at Gallipolli from where he was evacuated with frozen feet. On recovery he served in France during the Battle of the Somme but was invalided home in January 1917. He was commissioned in the King's Shropshire Light Infantry on 30th April 1918 and joined his Battalion in August 1918. At Cambrai in early September, he was complimented by fellow officers for the marked judgement he had displayed in leading an advance. On 27th September 1918 he was wounded twice and died regretting that he could not lead his platoon to victory.

Hi all

Most of the Pals will know that I am compiling a database of all the men who joined the Kings Shropshire Light Infantry (Great War only) but many new Pals may not be aware of this. Any information would be greatfully received. Also willing to do look ups for anyone with K.S.L.I. interest.

One day when finished I will make the database available to Library service or who ever can make best use of it.

Annette

Dear Annette,

Thank you for the post about Cpls. Bernard (KSLI) 8415 and John (KORR) Daly. I am still feeling my way a bit, and am not sure whether my reply reached you. so forgive me if I am not posting correctly or "going off topic".

Yes, I was aware of the conflict over dates. The CWGC gives Bernard's date of death as 12th, but Ushaw College, the Catholic seminary where both boys were educated, and where they are are remembered on their War Memorial, gives the date as 11th Feb. This is confirmed by a cutting from p.8 of the Lancaster Observer and Morecambe Chronicle 26/02/15) which announced my great Grandfather's death.

It refers to the letter, dated 13th Feb from Cptn. J S Skinner, commanding W (sic) Coy, which informed the family that on 11th Feb at about 4pm he was "shot through the head and would have felt no pain" He seems to have been a good soldier who was keen on hockey and held in high regard by those he worked with.

My Dad (also Bernard) unearthed the cutting a few years ago, and it ties in with 'family lore' which was always that he was shot in the head 'by a German sniper'. Interestingly, the diaries mention that before the battalion was relieved by the 4th Rifle Brigade, the same Cptn. Skinner shot a German sniper 'in the top of a tree'. The time more or less co-incides: that particular tour lasted 48 hours from leaving the billets at Westoutre on the evening of the 9th. The 'culprit' - My Great Grandad's killer? wonders my Dad. Who knows?

I have been unable to find anything of my Great Grandad's service record, save the details of his death and a record of his Service medal. Any ideas? Also, it is a great mystery as to why, after an apparently successful career with the KORR (2nd bttn) did he transfer (or was he transferred??) to KSLI in about 1909?

Earlier this year my son, aged 13 went with his school on a 'battlefields' trip to Ypres. I texd my Dad for the Menin Gate panel no.s which record both him and brother John. So he could look out for them if time allowed. The reply came back: 11th Feb 1915. Date of my son's visit? 11th Feb 2009!

Kind regards

Andy

Hi Tony

Thanks for info. on 2nd Lieut. Albert Edward Allnut. I have added the info. that I did not have to my officers database.

Hi Andy

I am sure I have a little more info on Captain Skinner shooting a German sniper, just got to remember where it is. Did your son have a good trip to the battlefields must have been moving for him being there on the day his great grandfathers was killed.

Annette

Hi Annette

post 519 - You gave me some information on my great uncle Alfred Davies number 16644. You said he probably transferred to the Somerset Light Infantry around 8 April 1918 going on the service papers of others. Can you give me the names of others whose service papers I can find on ancestry who transferred with him? Thought it might help me piece together what Alfred was doing during the war

Also do you have any more information on 7503 L/Cpl. Davies, Henry, Born Wellington, Shrops. Resided Rochdale, Lancs so I can try and find out if he is Alfred's brother

Thanks

Judith

Hi all

Most of the Pals will know that I am compiling a database of all the men who joined the Kings Shropshire Light Infantry (Great War only) but many new Pals may not be aware of this. Any information would be greatfully received. Also willing to do look ups for anyone with K.S.L.I. interest.

One day when finished I will make the database available to Library service or who ever can make best use of it.

Annette

Hi Annette,

On the memorial in Chirk there is a list of KSLI men killed in WW1, the list is as follows:-

Private Joseph Ainsley 7th Batt. K.S.L.I. - died Monday 3rd January 1916

Son of William & Anne Ainsley, Woodside Cottages, Black Well Lane, Darlington.

Dickebusch, New Military Cemetary. Ypres (Ieper) Belgium.

Private William Beckett 7th Batt. K.S.L.I. - died aged 20 Wednesday 26th September 1917

Son of Philip Beckett, Bradenheath, Bettisfield, Whitchurch, Shropshire.

Remembered Tyne Cot Memorial, Zonnebeke, Belgium.

Private Richard John Bishop 2nd Batt. K.S.L.I. - died aged 35 Monday 5th February 1917

Son of Richard & Mary Bishop. Husband of Frances Cheshire (formerly Bishop) 35 Sulton Road, Ditherington,Shrewsbury. Buried in Shrewsbury General Cemetery Shropshire.

Private William Hamer 8th Batt. K.S.L.I. - died aged 28 Wednesday 18th September 1918

Son of Mrs Elizabeth Hamer, Wrexham Road, Overton, Ellesmere, Shropshire.

Remembered on the Doiran Memorial, Greece.

Private Will Harry Roberts 7th Batt. K.S.L.I. 26346 died Monday 13th November 1916

Remembered on Thiepval Memorial, Somme, France.

Regards

Will Davies

Hello Annette,

Pte 10639 Ernest Alfred Hole (also incorreclty recorded as Ernest Albert). My Great-Great Uncle. Born June 1883, Steyning, Sussex.

Regular in the Queen's (Royal West Surrey) Rgt. Discharged at termination of service.

Attested 10/08/14, Hereford. 10639 K.L.S.I. Discharged under KR 392© 2/11/14.

Underwent surgery to correct a physical defect to his foot, and was accepted back into the K.L.S.I. on 22 June 1915, attesting at Gloucester, and given the number 18407.

For some unknown reason, he then ended up as Pte 71613 3rd Garr. Bttn. R. Welch. Fus., (with a brief spell in the King's(Liverpool) Rgt as well), and finished the war on Garrison duty in Gibraltar.

His service record exists and is on Ancestry.

One of his older brothers, Amos John. was a regular in the 3rd (King's Own) Hussars and had the QSA and 3 claps and Tirrah medals and two clasps. He also served in the Great War.

My grandfather was one of six brothers, five of whom were in the army, 2 regulars.

There were Hole's in uniform in the Regular forces continually from 1876-1946. 27 in all.

As you can see I have my hands full, and anything you can tell me about Ernest's odd career would be of great interest.

Malcolm

Malcolm

Hi Judith

Here is list

34870 L/Cpl. Pitchford, Henry Som. L.I. No. 44405

26143 Pte. Newcombe, William George, Som. L.I. No. 44414

17315 Pte. Jones, John, Som. L.I. No. 44415

16547 Pte. Lloyd, Eric, Som. L.I. No. 44430

25439 Pte. Edwards, Edward Frank, Som. L.I. No. 44440

14945 Pte. Waterhouse, William Henry, Som. L.I. No. 44484

17009 Pte. Jones, Richard, Som. L.I. No. 44512

7503 L/Cpl. Davies, Henry, Born Wellington, Shrops. (Resided Rochdale, Lancs.) Enlisted Wellington, Shrops. Landed in France 10/09/14 1/K.S.L.I. "A" Coy. K. in A. 23/10/14. Son of George and Jane. His name is on the Ploegsteert Memorial. Info. from 1914 Star Medal Roll, Soldiers Died & C.W.G.C.

Annette

Hi Will

Thanks for list of names on Chirk memorial, do you want any extra info. on these men if I have any.

Annette

Hi Malcolm

I can not add anything more to what you already know, excect that he was transfarred along with about another 100 men from the K.S.L.I. to the K.L.R.

Annette

Hi Malcolm

I can not add anything more to what you already know, excect that he was transfarred along with about another 100 men from the K.S.L.I. to the K.L.R.

Annette

Thanks anyway. I must say, that's quite a task you've set yourself !

Malcolm

I must say, that's quite a task you've set yourself !

Yes Malcolm it is and it may be one that I never fully finish but from the info. already collected I have a better idea of when & where men enlisted and dates of block transferres ect.

Annette

Dear Annette,

Thank you for the post about Cpls. Bernard (KSLI) 8415 and John (KORR) Daly (18/11/09). I am still feeling my way a bit, and am not sure whether my reply reached you. so forgive me if I am not posting correctly or "going off topic".

Yes, I was aware of the conflict over dates. The CWGC gives Bernard's date of death as 12th, but Ushaw College, the Catholic seminary where both boys were educated, and where they are are remembered on their War Memorial, gives the date as 11th Feb. This is confirmed by a cutting from p.8 of the Lancaster Observer and Morecambe Chronicle 26/02/15) which announced my great Grandfather's death.

It refers to the letter, dated 13th Feb from Cptn. J S Skinner, commanding W (sic) Coy, which informed the family that on 11th Feb at about 4pm he was "shot through the head and would have felt no pain" He seems to have been a good soldier who was keen on hockey and held in high regard by those he worked with.

My Dad (also Bernard) unearthed the cutting a few years ago, and it ties in with 'family lore' which was always that he was shot in the head 'by a German sniper'. Interestingly, the diaries mention that before the battalion was relieved by the 4th Rifle Brigade, the same Cptn. Skinner shot a German sniper 'in the top of a tree'. The time more or less co-incides: that particular tour lasted 48 hours from leaving the billets at Westoutre on the evening of the 9th. The 'culprit' - My Great Grandad's killer? wonders my Dad. Who knows?

I have been unable to find anything of my Great Grandad's service record, save the details of his death and a record of his Service medal. Any ideas? Also, it is a great mystery as to why, after an apparently successful career with the KORR (2nd bttn) did he transfer (or was he transferred??) to KSLI in about 1909?

Earlier this year my son, aged 13 went with his school on a 'battlefields' trip to Ypres. I texd my Dad for the Menin Gate panel no.s which record both him and brother John. So he could look out for them if time allowed. The reply came back: 11th Feb 1915. Date of my son's visit? 11th Feb 2009!

Kind regards

Hi Andy

See post 557. I still looking for info. on Captain Skinner.

Annette

Hi all

Annette

Hi Annette, my husband and I have been trying to find info on two of his great uncles. Both joined the 6th Battalion KSLI and travelled to France together on 24.07.1915. Private James Corfield was killed in action 12.02.1916 and Private George Corfield died of wounds 13.09.1916. We have been to visit their graves, James is buried in Artillery Wood Cemetery near Ypres and George is buried in Corbie Communal Cemetery Extension on the Somme. Do you have any information eg battles, also was Corbie used as a Medical/Hospital centre?

I have been trying to purchase your book, could you let me know who I can buy a copy from please?

Many thanks

Tricia,

Have a look below. It may help you.

http://www.shropshirewarmemorial.org.uk/wa...armemorial.html

Annette will almost certainly be able to give you futher information.

Neil

Thank you very much, we found the memorial recently and my sister in law and husband were able to go to the Remembrance Service at Stanton Long. They found it very moving hearing the Greatuncles names read out.

Thanks again

Tricia

Hi Tricia

I have a few copies, I'll email you details. Corbie was used as a Medical/Hospital centre. George was likely to have been wounded between 3rd & 7th Sept. at Guillemont, he was also wounded in Feb. of that year, and could well have been on or near the day James was killed.

Annette

Hi Tricia

I have a few copies, I'll email you details. Corbie was used as a Medical/Hospital centre. George was likely to have been wounded between 3rd & 7th Sept. at Guillemont, he was also wounded in Feb. of that year, and could well have been on or near the day James was killed.

Annette

Thank you so much. We didn't know George was also injured in Feb. I am new to the forum so this probably sounds very silly but do I just put my email in a reply? We shall look forward to reading your book. Look foward to hearing from you again. THANK YOU

Tricia

Hi

Just scanned your topic - thought you might be interested in the following website www.st-dunstans.org.uk - a Charity for blind & partially sighted service men & women both ex & current. Go to Collections & Archives, Our History & scroll down to read about Capt. Ian Fraser, their first Chairman, who was blinded on the Somme in 1916 whilst in the KSLI.

Their is considerably more on this topic at the following forum - www.themanchesters.org - however, you need to register a user name & password to see it. It might be a site you care to use yourself as well!? I have found it invaluable with all my WW1 research etc. Once registered & a member go to the Home Page & find & open Other Queries at the bottom. The topic is on Page 1 of this section.

On page 5 in the same section is a topic Cpl. Joseph W.Downing KSLI - my friends great grandfather.

Clive :D

Hi

Just scanned your topic - thought you might be interested in the following website www.st-dunstans.org.uk - a Charity for blind & partially sighted service men & women both ex & current. Go to Collections & Archives, Our History & scroll down to read about Capt. Ian Fraser, their first Chairman, who was blinded on the Somme in 1916 whilst in the KSLI.

Their is considerably more on this topic at the following forum - www.themanchesters.org - however, you need to register a user name & password to see it. It might be a site you care to use yourself as well!? I have found it invaluable with all my WW1 research etc. Once registered & a member go to the Home Page & find & open Other Queries at the bottom. The topic is on Page 1 of this section.

On page 5 in the same section is a topic Cpl. Joseph W.Downing KSLI - my friends great grandfather.

Clive :D

Thank you very much. I shall look at both sites. I find the research fascinating.

Tricia :)