Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Shropshire Light Infantry

Annette Burgoyne

Annette,

Have you anything on 2nd Lt Alfred George Beer who was awarded the M.C whilst with the 1st Btn K.S.L.I sometime around September/October 1918 I believe. Any info you have would be much appreciated.

regards Stuart

Hi Wes

I do not know much about the Prov. Battalions, I think only T.A. troops went to them ? the 46th & 50th Battalions seem to be connected to K.S.L.I. ? I think men kept their mother units number when with a Prov. Batt. ? I think the No. 4881 may be a Hereford Regt. number ? I only say this because another chap near Christopher Robinson K.S.L.I. number was formerly with the Hereford Regt. (May be the 48th Prov. Batt. are connected to Herefords ?

I do not yet have medal roll for Christopher yet so can say which Battalion he was in. I can tell you he was wounded in late 1918 and that Absent Voters give his address as Cwn Colesty, Clun. Sorry I can not supply more. Try and see if someone on the forum with have a look at his medal roll.

Here are all the George Morgans I have in my database, some can be ruled out because they did not make it home. 13774 Pte. Morgan, George could be your man ?

13622 Pte. Morgan, George, Born Garway, Hereford Enlisted Ludlow, 04/09/1914 Landed in France 27/09/15 with 7th Batt. Wounded 03-07-17 Info. from service papers, 1914-15 Star Medal Roll & Victory/British Medal Roll.

13774 Pte. Morgan, George, Resided 2 Little Falley, Lydbury North. Landed in France 28/09/15 with 7th Batt., also served 1st + 1/4/K.S.L.I. Discharged 11-02-19 to Class Z Res. Info. from M.I.C., Victory/British Medal Roll, Lydbury North roll, & Absent Voters Lists 1918.

14340 Pte. Morgan, George Francis, Born Ludlow Enlisted Aberdare, Glam. Landed in France 06/09/15 with 8th Batt. D. of W. 23/09/18 with 1/K.S.L.I. Husband of Rachel Morgan, of 7, Mountain Rd., Cwmaman, Aberdare, Glam. Buried in Brie British Cemetery, Somme (I. C. 7.) Info. from 14-15 Star & Victory/British Medal Roll, Soldiers Died & C.W.G.C.

15726 Pte. Morgan, George, Landed in France 19/12/15. Also had K.S.L.I. No. 46672. Info. from M.I.C.

22033 Pte. Morgan, George Edward, Resided 3 Long Lane, Halford, Shrops.) Mobilized 09/02/1916. Landed in France 12/07/16 with 7th Batt. Shell shock 23/07/16. Trans. to 12/K.O. 22/02/1917 with No. 266234. Also L.C. No. is 437206. Info. from service papers, Absent Voters Lists 1918 & M.I.C.

22077 Pte. Morgan, George, Resided 13 Watergate St., Ellesmere, Trans. to Midd'x. Regt. with No. G/106665. Info. from Absent Voters Lists 1918 & M.I.C.

24835 Pte. Morgan, George, Info. from M.I.C.

27482 Pte. Morgan, George Frederick, Formerly 60316 16/Welsh Regt. Also 1st Entrenching Bn. 1/K.S.L.I. Info. from Victory/British War Medal Roll.

31201 Pte. Morgan, George Albert, Born How Caple Hereford Resided Ross. Enlisted Hereford Trans. to 14/Welsh Regt. with No. 55345 K. in A. 18/09/18 Aged 20, Son of George and Edith Morgan, of Bridge Cottage, How Caple, Ross, Herefordshire. His name is on the Vis-en-Artois Memorial. Info. from M.I.C., C.W.G.C. & Soldiers Died.

Annette

Hello Annette,

Hope you are well.

Thanks to Sotonmate I now know that Chris spent time in both the 1st & 6th Battalions KSLI.

Am I correct in thinking that you have written a book on the 6th? If so, how do I go about procuring a copy?

Many thanks

Wes.

Hello All.

These are the two soldiers I am trying to research.

The chap on the left is my Great-Grandfather (25724) Christopher Robinson .

The chap on the right is his Brother-in-Law (13774) George Morgan.

The photo is from around 1925/26 judging by the age of the little girls.

Unfortunatley I have not yet found a picture of them in uniform.

Best Regards

Wes.

post-54041-1270392150.jpg

Hi all

Sorry I have not been intouch, I have been spending all my spare time downloading service papers, I have just popped in to read all the posts before they are too many, as it is there 39 pages to go through. I may not be back for some time sorry about that but I will get back to you all once I have finished downloading all the K.S.L.I. service/pension papers or as many as I can find at any rate.

Annette

Hi Annette i spoke to you previously regarding Frank Nagington 8123.

Hi Annette,

I have found out some more information on Frank Nagington! This time a MIA report from the Herefordshire Times dated 12 Jun 1915 - 3 weeks after his death date on the CWGC (25 May 1915). And showing him with the 2nd Battalion - not the 1st!

Last time we spoke you sent me the hand drawn map of the armentieres region where he died and you gave me the following info from war diaries -

"He is recorded in the Times on a casualty list (? Nov. 1914 edition) as wounded, so may have been wounded at Le Quesne Farm, near Armentieres some time in mid October. The Battalion were still in the Armentieres sector when he was killed on the 25th May 1915, there is some conflicting information here on the number of men killed on this day, SD records five men killed on this day but the War Diary (I only have the transcript) only records one man killed and none on the days either side of this day. Now it could be that the transcript is incorrect or SD & C.W.G.C. is incorrect ? "

I am wondering now that i have this newspaper article showing him missing after his death date whether the CWGC date is incorrect. You mentioned the non-match up between your transcribed war diary and the CWGC before and said that mistakes were not uncommon.

That on top of the transfer of being in the 1st to the 2nd Battalion would mean you may have been wrongly looking in the 1st war diary which we both believed him to be in at time of death!

Do you think you could check up what the KSLI 2nd Battalion was doing on the 25th may 1915 and a little later on perhaps nearer to 12 Jun 1915? I would very much appreciate any help you could give me!

The other interesting thing is that Franks nephew is also missing on the newspaper clipping but he must have been found as he is not listed on the CWGC (Sadly Frank wasn't found). His nephews name ,if you remember, was George Henry, the previous newspaper clipping for reference is earlier on in this post - he is just listed as H Nagington on this but his MIC is George Henry (like his father).

Kind Regards

Luke White

PS I have just bought Franks medals and received them on Wednesday! Over the moon!

PPS i have emailed you this directly with new newspaper clipping attatched.

Annette

Are you able to advise me where the following soldiers were: when they fell?

2nd Lt R L Taylor Died of Wounds 11.9.1918 11 Bn KSLI

Pte A Salt KIA 12.9.1918 6 KSLI

Any information would be much appreciated.

Bernard

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Myrtle

The chap is 25726 Cpl. Thomas James, Teague, formerly 4975 Herefords. enlisted 19-04-16 + spent 50 days with the 48th Prov. Batt. (which I missed because I have not yet got around to adding all info. to database).

Annette

Hello Annette & Myrtle,

Hope you remember this thread.

I have just been informed that Chris (25724) had an 'Aunty Sarah Anne Teague' who lived with his mother at Cwn Colesty during the 40/50's.

It can't be a coincidence, they must be related, surely.

Wes.

Hi Annette,

Do you have the war diary entry and a regimental history for the 1/5 K.S.L.I. for the 10TH AND 11TH April 1918?

Hi Bernard

I can't find a 2nd Lt R L Taylor in the roll of honour + their was no 11 Bn KSLI, is that a typo ? It records a 2nd Lt. Ronald Francis Taylor 5th battalion but he was killed in 1916.

Nor can I find Pte A Salt KIA 12.9.1918 6 KSLI sorry.

Annette

Hi shootdown1

The K.S.L.I. did not have a 1/5th Battalion do you mean 1/4th ?

Annette

Hi Wes

25726 Cpl. Thomas James, Teague was from Dawley, did Sarah Jane Teague have connection with this area ? Also thanks for photo of your Great-Grandfather & his brother-in-law.

You mention Christopher Robinson was in 1st & 6th Batt., Pte Teague was also with the 1st Batt. He Joined them on 07-02-17, so Christopher is likely to have been with same draft ?

Annette

Hi Bernard

I can't find a 2nd Lt R L Taylor in the roll of honour + their was no 11 Bn KSLI, is that a typo ? It records a 2nd Lt. Ronald Francis Taylor 5th battalion but he was killed in 1916.

Nor can I find Pte A Salt KIA 12.9.1918 6 KSLI sorry.

Annette

Hi shootdown1

The K.S.L.I. did not have a 1/5th Battalion do you mean 1/4th ?

Annette

Annette

Yes, I believe it must be; the 1/5 Th was in a 25 Division report, mistakes were made even in 1918

Annette

Thanks for your PM, tried to reply but your inbox is full

Stuart

Are you able to advise me where the following soldiers were: when they fell?

2nd Lt R L Taylor Died of Wounds 11.9.1918 11 Bn KSLI

Pte A Salt KIA 12.9.1918 6 KSLI

Bernard,

These two men were in the Somerset Light Infantry! (Taylor attached from Worcesters)

No wonder Annette couldn't find them.

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=325065

http://www.cwgc.org/search/casualty_detail...casualty=467476

Adrian

Hi Annette,

I have several Pembrokeshire newspaper articles relating to the KSLI and individuals who served with them, I'm slowly extracting them from my files and thought that you may be interested,

cheers, Jon

Hi Jon

I would be interested every bit of info. helps.

Cheers

Annette

Hi Annette,

Please find below some information I have on the lads from Dawley who fell in action whilst serving with the 1/4th KSLI.

Beard, Merton Osbert. Private, 200202, 1/4th Battalion, KSLI

Merton was the son of James and Alice Beard of Langley House, Dawley.

Early in 1918 his parents had appealed for information in the local Wellington and Shrewsbury Journal for any information regarding Merton stating that he had last been seen, being carried to a Dressing station on the 30th Oct.

Merton's body was never found and he is now commemorated on the Tyne Cot memorial, panels 112-113, His initials are listed as M. A. Merton’s date of death is given as the 30th October 1917

Cullis, Laurence John (20)

Private, 200417, 4th Battalion, KSLI

Laurence was the son of John and Eliza of 1 Brook House, Lightmoor.

He was a pre-war territorial having served for 5 years before he died of wounds on the 13th January 1918 of wounds received at Cambrai, These were likely to have been received on the Welsh Ridge where the 4th KSLI had been heavily involved.

Laurence now lies buried in the Bois Guillaume Cemetery in grave C.5.A.

Freeman, Charles (24)

Cpl, 200205, 1/4th Battalion, KSLI

Freeman, James (MM) (26)

Sgt, 200302, 1/4th Battalion, KSLI

Charles and James were the sons of Susan Freeman who according to the 1901 census was raising her family on her own at 54 Old Park, One of their sisters was Mrs W Hawkins who had lost her husband (died of wounds) earlier in the war (27/6/15).

Charles and James both lost their lives on December 30th. James had earlier won the Military Medal for Bravery, when after his Officer had become a casualty had led his platoon over the top. James had lost his rifle and so led this charge swinging a shovel. The announcement about James MM appeared in the Shrewsbury and Wellington Journal on March 2nd 1918 - 2 months after his death.

A fellow soldier Pte A.E Corbett also wrote home in early December saying that “We have been very busy lately. I suppose you know that Sgt Freeman has won the MM – he has well earned it as he did some very good work in the big push. We are out for a rest now which we can do with very well for the cold weather here is playing the bear with our lot – it is not Hong Kong, this time last year we were hot, this year we are too cold”.

It was only in death that the two brothers where separated, Charles body was never found and he became yet another name on the Thiepval memorial (Panels 12a & 12d) Whilst James body now lies in the Fifteen Ravine British Cemetery at

Villiers-Plouich in Grave II.D.5

Howells, John (23)

Private, 200954, 1/4th Battalion, KSLI

John was born and still lived in Dawley at the time of his enlistment.

He was another of the Dawley men who died as a result of the battle of Welsh Ridge, Cambrai. He passed away on the 31st December 1917 of wounds received the day before and now lies in the Rocquigny-Equancourt Rd Cemetery in grave VIII.E.22

Jackson, William (22)

Private, 200369, 1/4th Battalion, KSLI

William was the youngest son of Mrs Jackson of 16 Sandy Bank Row, Dawley.

He had served for 4 years with the KSLI territorial’s and had been formerly employed by Mr Williams, a greengrocer of Horsehay. William was killed in action at Cambrai on January 11th 1918, the day after his twenty-second Birthday; a report appeared in the Wellington and Shrewsbury Journal on February 22nd listing him as being killed in action.

William’s body was never found and his name now appears on the Thiepval Memorial Pier/Face 12A + 12D

Jones, Noah (26)

Private, 200184, 1/4th Battalion, KSLI

Noah was the only son of the late Mr George and Mrs Amanda Jones of the Machine House, Old Park.

He had worked at the Woodhouse colliery at Priorslee before the outbreak of war.

Noah was already serving in the KSLI Territorial’s (He had enlisted in Shifnal 4 years earlier) and at the outbreak of the War was mobilised with his battalion in the first week of August 1914.

Noah was wounded on the 30th December 1917 and died of these wounds 2 days later on January 1st 1918. Noah left a widowed Mother and two sisters when he died and his body is now buried in the Sunken Road Cemetery at Villiers-Plouich in Grave Ref: A.41

Lowe, Leonard

Private, 21277, 1/4th Battalion, KSLI

Leonard was born and still living in Dawley when he joined the local territorial Battalion the 1/4th KSLI.

Leonard fell in action on 26th March 1918, His body was recovered later and he now lies buried in a shared grave in Grevillers British Cemetery in Grave XII.F.12.

Pte Leonard Lowe’s grave in Grevilliers British Cemetery although badly weather worn his name is visible in the lower half of his shared grave, the soldier named above Pte (201316) Leonard Tew was from Market Drayton and died on the same day

Oakley, William (23)

Private, 200309, 1/4th Battalion, KSLI

Oakley, Thomas Frederick (19)

Private, 86582, 1/7th Battalion, Liverpool (Kings) Regiment

The two Oakley brothers were the sons of William and Hannah who lived at 2 Ladies Row, Hinkshay. William Senior worked as a Puddler at an Ironworks

Little else is known about the lads. On checking soldiers died William was listed as being born and resident in Hinkshay but Thomas was listed as being born at Dollay, Salop, now unless I am mistaken no such place exists and a miss-spelling of Dawley must be presumed.

William was the first to be killed falling in action on 30th December 1917. William’s body was not found and his name appears on the Thiepval memorial to the missing on Pier/Face 12A -12D.

Perry, Francis Alfred (22)

Private, 200275, 1/4th Battalion, KSLI

Francis was a local lad in every sense of the word being born at Dawley and living at Horsehay, His sister also living at Horsehay after her marriage, Mrs A Plant of 20 Horsehay Close, Horsehay

Francis became another of the fallen when he was killed on 30th December 1917, at Welsh Ridge, His name now appears on the Thiepval memorial, Pier/Face 12A – 12D

Plant, Joseph (23)

Private, 201007, 1/4th Battalion, KSLI

Joseph was the youngest son of Joseph & Lily Plant of 32 Dark Lane, Malinslee. He also had two sisters Mrs J Harley of Church Street, Wellington and Mrs V Gough of Lightmoor, Dawley. Prior to enlisting in the KSLI he had worked for the Lilleshall Company and had been a promising footballer having played fullback for Jackfield.

Joseph had joined up shortly after the outbreak of war with his brother and several other local lads. Joseph was to be yet another Dawley casualty of the battle of Welsh ridge being killed in action on the 30th December 1917. Like so many of his fellow soldiers his body was never recovered and his name appears on the Thiepval memorial Panels 12A -12D

Plant - In Loving memory of our dear brother, Private Joseph Plant (Dark Lane, aged 23) KSLI, Killed in action 30th December 1917. “In the lonely hours of thinking; Thoughts of you are ever near” - From his loving sister and brother in law (V and T. Gough, Lightmoor, Dawley)

Price, John (22)

Private, 201428, 1/4th Battalion, KSLI

John was yet another Dawley soldier who fought and died whilst serving with the 1/4th KSLI. He had lived before joining the army at Mill House, Dawley and was killed in action on the 11th May 1918 while fighting off the German spring offensive.

The battalion had taken over trenches at Dickebusch on the 1st May and were in the sector until the 16th of May when it entrained to go south to Chalons.

It was during this period that John lost his life and his body became another of the unfound, His name now appears on the Tyne Cot Memorial on panels 112 - 113

Skelton, Samuel (25)

Private, 37010, 8th Battalion, Gloucestershire Regiment

Skelton, Thomas (27)

Private, 201012, 1/4th Battalion, KSLI

Samuel and Thomas were the sons of Thomas and Hannah Skelton of 21 Holly Road, Little Dawley. Thomas senior was a miner and according to the 1901 census the family were living at 6 Holly Hedge, with the two sons being aged 7 & 9.

Both sons had joined the KSLI originally with Samuel (KSLI 2829) later being transferred to the Gloucestershire regiment.

Samuel was still residing at the family home on enlistment and whilst serving with the Gloucestershire’s was killed in action on the 23rd March 1918. He now is interred at Doullens Communal Cemetery No1 Extension in grave V.B.93

Thomas had married and was living at Harboro’ Grange, Ashton on Merseyside with his wife Florence when on 14th August 1918 he was killed in action whilst serving in trenches near Locon on the La Bassee canal. The trenches ran through standing corn fields which the Germans bombarded with gas shells at night and the KSLI suffered comparatively heavy casualties as the gas lingered amongst the corn.

He now lies buried at Pernes British cemetery in grave IV.A.6

On Aug 14th 1919 a notice appeared in the Shrewsbury and Wellington Journal from Thomas’s Wife:

Skelton – In loving memory of my dearly loved Husband, Pte Tom Skelton, Died of wounds Aug 14th 1918 “Tis only the actions of the just that smell sweet and blossom into dust” silently mourned by his Wife Flo

Small, Samuel (32)

Private, 58273 Royal Army Medical Corp (RAMC)

Small, Joseph (29)

Private, 24425, 1/4th Battalion, KSLI

Both Joseph and Samuel were the sons of Benjamin & Sarah Small of 8 Crown Street, The Finger, Dawley. The Family had previously lived at 16 Malinslee.

Before the war Samuel worked as a brick maker at the Randley Brick & Tile Works and had done so for 14 years, His brother Joseph had been employed as an insurance agent.

Samuel in his spare time had been a member of the Dawley and Ironbridge Ambulance Corps and on the outbreak of war volunteered for the RAMC, he was married with a wife and three children.

Samuel was killed in action while attending to a wounded soldier on the 24th July 1916 his body was buried at Bernafay Wood Cemetery but at some point it’s exact location lost because of shellfire, His name now appears on a Special memorial grave stone within that cemetery as ‘believed to be buried in this cemetery”.

Joseph wrote home shortly after his brothers death saying that “All Dawley people ought to be proud of Sgt Langford, I do not think there could be a better N.C.O in all the British army”(Joseph was right as Sgt Langford went on to win the DCM & MM). He goes on to say “That I had spent two hours near the place where Sam was buried without knowing that he had been killed, if I had known I could have visited his grave”

Joseph was to meet his death during the German March offensive of 1918 it is unclear to his exact date of death as the 1/4th KSLI were involved in continually fighting from the 21st to the 26th March and accordingly there is some confusion to Joseph’s date of death, with Soldiers died listing him as being killed on the 26th and the commonwealth war graves commission listing him as KIA between 23rd - 26th.

Joseph’s body was recovered presumably at a later date when the ground was retaken as he now lies in Doullens Communal Cemetery extension No1 in grave V.A.83.

Southon, Alfred Thomas (22)

Private, 200885, 1/4th Battalion, KSLI

Alfred was the second son of Joseph Southon of 6 Lightmoor, prior to enlisting he had worked for both the Coalbrookdale company and at the Sinclair Ironworks at Ketley as a moulder, He had also been a member of the Dawley Prava Men’s Bible class.

Alfred fell in action on the 30th Oct 1917and his body never recovered, his name now being on the Tyne Cot Memorial Panels 112 - 113

Vaughan, Thomas Wesley (24)

Private, 11751, 1/4th Battalion, KSLI

Thomas was the son of Mr E Vaughan of the Rock, Dawley.Before joining up on August 31st 1914, Thomas had worked at the Castle works, Hadley and had been a worshipper at the Rock Primitive Methodist Chapel.

Thomas died of wounds on the very day the war finished, November 11th 1918 and probably received these wounds during the last actions that the 1/4th were involved in between the 3rd and 6th November. He is now buried at Cambrai East Military Cemetery in grave III.A.6

Wilson, Samuel (23)

Private, 43864, 1/4th Battalion, KSLI

Samuel was the son of Mr & Mrs M H Wilson of 22 Dark Lane, Malinslee.

On the morning of the 6th November 1918, reconnoitring patrols reported German machine gun positions near Berttrechies with a stream in front 6 feet wide and 4 feet deep, touch was maintained with the enemy until the battalion was relieved that evening and the battalion marched back to billets at Bry, here they came under long distance shell fire and the last men to be killed in action were sustained;

2nd Lieut Richard Hibbard

Private 11618 Fred Allen from Ellesmere

Private 31607 John Woodyer from Salford

Private 43864 Samuel Wilson from Malinslee.

Samuel had the misfortune of being one of the final group of soldiers from the 1/4th KSLI to fall in action, laying down his life just 5 days before the armistice was signed on November 11th 1918. Whether the shell had blown Samuel to pieces or his body buried by comrades and not found after the war is not known, but Samuel’s name is now on the Vis-en-Artois Memorial on panel 8.

Hi Annette,

Some pictures of the lads mentioned above, From Left to Right O.M.Beard, L.Cullis, N.Jones, J.Plant, J.Small and Family, T.S.Southon, 2nd Row L to R - T.Vaughan, S.Wilson and C.Freeman

post-51798-1274100833.jpg

post-51798-1274100869.jpg

post-51798-1274100906.jpg

post-51798-1274100919.jpg

post-51798-1274100942.jpg

post-51798-1274100957.jpg

post-51798-1274100967.jpg

post-51798-1274100977.jpg

post-51798-1274101073.jpg

Annette,

I don't know if you have it already, but I have been sent a list of names off the KSLI Memorial at Pembroke Dock. I'm going to add the details to my Pembrokeshire Website when I get them written up.

If you want the list of names, drop me a PM, and I'll forward them to you.

Dawleyjockey (Is it nice to be back on nights? :rolleyes: )- Some on the list are from Dawley Bonk! I'll e-mail the names to you in a bit.

SteveJ.

Hi Dawleyjockey & Seven

Steve I do have names off the KSLI Memorial at Pembroke Dock but thanks or thinking of me. Dawleyjockey thanks for info. & photos, will add any info. that I do not have to my database.

Thanks both

Annette

Annette,

Here is a portrait of Lt. R.E.M Lutener 6th KSLI.

Neil

Apologies for the Quality

post-31332-1274116245.jpg

Thanks Neil but it does not seem it as worked.

Annette

Forget I seid that Neil Its there now & you have add another.

Cheers

Annette

Another one. I must have well over 600 pictures. I will give them you when i've done the whole paper.

I resized the photo Annette. That's the reason you couldn't see it. I'll tease you a bit more, here's Capt. Savory 1st KSLI

post-31332-1274116474.jpg

post-31332-1274116609.jpg