Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kings Shropshire Light Infantry

Annette Burgoyne

Thank you very much for the info Annette, much appreciated. I'll have a mooch around The Long, Long Trail regarding The King's Regs. and see what I can find... I'm sure I'll be over to Ludlow before long, I'm only in Bridgnorth, but I like to get back to my birthplace occasionally! I do have just one more question if you don't mind, do you have any idea where the soldiers from the K.S.L.I. that were mobilized on 26/6/16 were stationed, or would they have gone to a variety of different locations?

Regards,

Ben.

Hi Annette,

I'm a newbie here, delighted to find this thread on the KSLI.

My grandad's brother, Douglas Marston, was killed on the first day of the battle of Cambrai. He was Private 33626 of the 6th Bn. Here's what the Shrewsbury Chronicle had to say:

ANOTHER BISHOP'S CASTLE HERO FALLEN

On Thursday last week Mr and Mrs W Marston, Station Street, were officially notified that their son, Private Douglas Marston, K.S.L.I., aged 21, had been killed in action in France. Private Marston, prior to his enlistment in May last year, was in the employ of the Bishop's Castle Railway Co., and was in charge of Lydham Heath Station. He was exceptionally keen on enlisting, and was several times refused by the Military Authorities on account of his employment. When it was possible for him to enlist, on account of the railway not being controlled, the Company entered an appeal to the Local Tribunal, but Pte Marston pressed for the appeal to be withdrawn, and this was eventually done and he joined up. He went through his training and was sent to France, where he nobly did his duty and fell in the service of his King and country. The borough flag was hoisted at half-mast as a mark of regret and esteem. The officials and members of the Loyal "Waterloo" Lodge of Oddfellows, together with the Boy Scouts, attended Divine service at the Parish Church on Sunday morning, when the vicar, Rev. C. E. Warner, M.A., R.D., made a feeling allusion to the brave soldier's death. At the close of the service, the organist (Miss Wyon) played Mendelssohn's "O rest in the Lord." The sympathy of the inhabitants goes out to the bereaved parents in the hour of their sorrow. Pte Marston was a great favourite in the district.

Douglas was also known as William Douglas and may have enlisted under that name.

I'd be grateful for any further information you can provide on Douglas's service in the KSLI and on the circumstances of his death (he is commemorated on the Louverval memorial). Also, were records kept of the local tribunals and if so are they still available?

Many thanks,

Steve

Hi Ben

You could see what copies of the Bridgnorth Journal, your local library as, I know they have some, as I asked a few years back but can't remember if they had full coverage or just the odd copy.

Pte. Bridgwater would have trained with either the 3rd or 9th Battalions, I can't say which it would have been, men near his number who's papers I have do not help as some went to 3rd while others went to the 9th. The 3rd Battalion were stationed at Pembroke Dock at this time and the 9th Battalion was stationed at Prees Heath. Andrew would have gone overseas being fit and well, some time between Oct. and Dec. 1916 (there are some who stayed in UK until well into 1917 and 1918, with a few not going overseas at all). A lot of the men near Andrew's number went to the 7th Battalion and the service papers of four of these men show the following :- landed at Rouen (4th I.B.D.) on 11-11-16 and posted to 6th K.S.L.I. but re-posted on 19-11-16 to the 7th Batt. and joined that battalion on the 21-11-16 (the time between 11th & 19th Nov. would have been spent at the 4th I.B.D., where the new arrivals would have gone through training at the Bull Rings as the Tommys called them. I can't be 100% sure that Andrew was amoung the draft who landed on 11-11-16 but its very likely.

By any chance do your have any details on where Andrew, Bridgwater was born or lived at time of war ?

Annette

Hi Steve

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for info. from Shrewsbury Chronicle, I have pasted it into my database.

I have very few service papers on chaps near Douglas Marston, this number range as a lot of men who have joined the K.S.L.I. from other regiments who are mixed in with men who when striaght into K.S.L.I. so a bit confusing. Those from other units seem to have gone to the 2/4th (T.A.)Battalion, while those who were souly K.S.L.I. seem to have gone to the 3rd Battalion. I have one service paper near Douglas number, who like him was called up in May 1917, this man landed in France on 25-09-17 and posted to the 5th Battalion but then re-posted on 29-09-17 to the 6th Battalion, so its likely that Douglas was on this draft also. He is likely to have joined the 6th Battalion at Sutton Camp, which was in Ypres area. The Battalion entrained at Proven on the 1st Oct. for Bapaume. I can give a brief account of action on 20th which I'll have to do later as I am of out now, or there is a detailed account of the 6th Battalion's action during the 20th Nov. in my book on the Battalion, ISBN NUMBER 1 903360 02 1, several libraries have copies (I also have a few or sale).

Annette

Hi Annette,

Firstly, thank you for the above information!

Andrew was my Great Grandfather - Born: 13/02/1895 in either Clungunford or Onibury - different census years provide two different locations - to William and Hannah Bridgewater [Nee Smith]. In 1911 he lived at 2 Lewis Cottages, Clungunford, Aston-On-Clun with his brother Joseph and widowed mother. By the time of his marriage in 1929 he was living at Dry Hill Farm, Ragdon, Church Stretton. He died on 01/01/1968. I have his Silver War Badge, inscribed on the reverse with the reference B171104. I will have a chat with his daughter Dorothy [my Grand Aunt] and see whether he ever talked to her about his time in service. This may be a lengthy process as she is very hard of hearing, and her memory is not what it once was...

I hope this is the sort of thing you were after, but if you'd like to know anything else please ask away.

Thank you again for your time and info, and if I learn any more I'll certainly let you know.

Thanks,

Ben.

Hi Ben

Thanks for info. on where Andrew Bridgwater came from. I had a look to see what other Bridgwaters I had in my database, and there was also a 14601 Andrew Ernest, Bridgwater (resided Munslow Square in 1918), I looked him up in 1901 census and found he was also born at Onibury in 1888 to Ellen & Robert who both were born at Clungunford, do you know if they are related to your Great Grandfather ?

Annette

Hello Annette,

No I don't think that the Andrew Ernest you have found is directly related to my great grandfather, however there may be some distant familial ancestry. Andrew's own grandfather was called Robert (born circa. 1811), and he also had another brother called Robert (born circa. 1884).

Ben.

Hi Ben

No I don't think that the Andrew Ernest you have found is directly related to my great grandfather, however there may be some distant familial ancestry

I got Pte 14601 Bridgwater christian names the wrong way around thanks to Absent Voters which records it as Andrew Ernest but on looking at his M.I.C. it is just recorded as Ernest. FreeBMD records Ernest Andrew, Bridgwater born 1888. In the 1891 & 1901 census he is living with his grandmother Rosanna, your Gt., Gt. Grandfathers mother ? (if I have found the correct family in 1871 census at Feney ? Lodge, Onibury) In my other post I thought Robert & Ellen were his parents but now think they his anty & uncle ? (Sarah Ellen & Albert Robert), so I think he is a cousin to your Great Grandfather ?

Annette

Hi Annette,

I looked up Rosanna myself and this appears to be a different family from my own ancestors. (It's FERNY HALL Lodge in Onibury by the way, just out of interest - I looked that up too).

My own Great, Great, Grandfather's mother was called Eliza, born circa. 1821. Andrew appears on the 1901 census living with his widowed mother, Hannah (his father having died just six months after Andrew was born), his place of birth having been mis-transcribed as Cinbury. Furthermore his Surname had also been mis-transcribed as Bidgnat! My branch of the family seem to have been resident at Little Common, Clungunford since at least the 1841 census, through to the 1901 census.

I hope this helps, although we do seem to have meandered a little from the subject of the Great War, oh well.

Thanks,

Ben.

Hello,

I am looking for any information on my Grandfather, in particular which battalion he served in. He was Private Reginald Powell Francis (32750).

He joined up at the age of 16 when he went to Hereford to see his 3 brothers off to the KSLI. He jumped on the train and went with them! Remarkably all 4 of them survived the war.

He was interesting because he was badly gassed somewhere in France and fell into a coma. His mother (living in rural Herefordshire) was sent for to nurse him. The trip was paid for by the YMCA. Not bad for a woman who, until then, had barely left the area she was born in. I know she walked to Hereford to catch the train (about 12 miles) and had left her baby with a neighbour. She was away about 6 weeks.

I have seen his medal records but the battalion is not mentioned.

Chris J.

Hi Ben

I hope this helps, although we do seem to have meandered a little from the subject of the Great War, oh well.

Thanks for info., do not worry about going of subject a little, I just like seeing if people are related, and with the two coming from the some area, I was hoping to make a connection.

Annette

Hi Chris

I can not help much with your Grandfather Private Reginald Powell Francis (32750). From his number I can say he was mobilised late October or early November 1916. I have not yet got to the part of the medal rolls that contain his number, so can not help with his Battalion. He his reported under wounded in my local paper on 21-12-18, three battalions of the K.S.L.I. were involved in heavy fight in late October early November 1918, both the 1st and 7th Battalions ended their fighting on the 30th October, while the 1/4th fort it's last action on 6th November. The 10th Battalion while not involved in any fighting were following up retirment of Germans on their front during the last days of the war.

Sorry not much help, the best way of finding out which battalion he was in is to look at the medal rolls, which are hold at Kew. It will be along time before I go down to kew to get more medal roll entries due to cost of travelling down there.

Annette

PS what were Reginald brothers names I may have more on them

Thank you so much Annette, for your kind attention.

Reg's brothers were called:-

Edward Trefusis Francis (sometimes spelled 'Trefusus')

Robert Francis

Osmund Powell

We are not clear about the name Trefusis?

Osmund Powell was from mother's previous marriage.

Again - any help would be appreciated.

In which paper was Reg Francis' wounding reported? - I am a bit confused by this as I have a photo of him in uniform taken in 1917. He has a wound stripe on his jacket. I am therefore inclined to think he must have been wounded twice. There is, however no family 'story' of this - only the gassing previously mentioned. The plot thickens ...

Considering he smoked at least 30 'Woodies' a day for the rest of his life, you'd think he'd have lit the one in the phot.

post-61287-084346800 1291590177.jpg

I am trying to find out about William Baker 5th Bn KSLI who was KIA 31 July 1915. He went overseas on 20th May 1915. I am trying to find out where he would have been during the short time he was in France. I have looked on the Long Long Trail which states the 5th Bn was in the 14th (light) Division and that their move to the front was delayed by a lack of ammunition, can anyone give me any more information

I put the above on the soldiers thread but was recommended to also move it here just incase you can help in any way. I have been told he was probably involved in the battle at Hooge

thanks

Judith

Hi Chris

My local paper is the Ludlow & Craven Arms Advertiser, which recorded all K.S.L.I. casualties.

I am a bit confused by this as I have a photo of him in uniform taken in 1917. He has a wound stripe on his jacket. I am therefore inclined to think he must have been wounded twice.
Very likely.

I can find any of Reg's brothers so far.

Annette

Hi Judith

The following I have put together from Regimental History and odd other sourse.

An advanced party from the 5th Battalion, consisting of three officers and 109 other ranks, and all the transport, left Aldershot for Havre on 19th May 1915. The rest of the Battalion left the following day, for Boulogne. The advanced party entrained at Havre on the 20th May, and after a night journey arrived at Pont de Bricque, where the rest of the Battalion joined the train, the train then continued to Cassel. On arrival the Battalion marched to Erkelsbrugge, where it stayed until 27th May. A move was then made to Eecke, and on the 30th May, “A” & “B” Companies, and the transport, proceed to Dickebusch, followed by the rest of the Battalion the next day, and later that day two companies go to dug-outs near Ypres (the Regimental History does not say where). During the night 550 men are sent to work on new trenches at Zillebeke, not far from Hill 60, the Germans had kept up a constant unaimed fire, killing Sgt. Diss and wounding three others. The neighbourhood of the dug-outs were shelled on the 1st and 2nd June but there were no casualties.

On the 3rd June the Battalion moved to Canada Huts near Dickebusch till the 6th, each night it supplied working parties for digging. On the 6th June the Battalion marched to Locre, and that evening “C” and “D” Companies went up past Mount Kemmel to the front line held by the 6th and 8th Battalions Sherwood Foresters, for two days instruction. On the evening of the 8th June “A” & “B” relived the two companies in the line. On the 11th June “A” & “B” Companies returned to Locre, and next day the whole Battalion march back to Canada Huts, thence on the 14th it moved to camp just south of Vlamertinghe.

On the 15th June, the Battalion moved to a position near the Ypres-Roulers railway line, just outside the Ramparts, south-east of Ypres. And on 16th June, the 14th Division were in support of the 3rd Division, who made an attack on Bellewaerde Ridge, Ypres. The 5th K.S.L.I. moved forward down the railway at 10 o’clock, and as it debouched from the cutting at Hell Fire Corner, it came under heavy shell fire, and was diverted to the right, except for the two leading platoons, who had continued to it’s correct position, which was a sunken road (possibly near Y Wood ?). The rest of the Battalion, on reaching the high ground near Gordon House, again came under heavy shell fire and forced into a trench near Gordon House (possibly Union Street ?), which they continued down until it reached the low ground near the Menin Road, where it was so crowed with troops from other regiments, that no more progress could be made and at night the Battalion was ordered back to from where it had started that morning. A few hours after day break on the 17th the Battalion arrived back at Vlamertinghe.

The rest of June and July was spent either in trenches in the Railway Wood sector, or in camps west of Ypres, while reserve was spent in Ypres, and at a big school east of the town.

The 14th Division was attacked on the 30th July, and lost the village of Hooge. The 5th K.S.L.I. were sent up to various support trenches during the night, and 5th K.S.L.I. bombers sent to help 9th K.R.R.C. in a counter-attack, and trench G.10. is recaptured. On the 31st July the Battalion was ordered to relieve the 9th K.R.R.C. in the front line, this could not be carried out until night fall, “A”, “B” and “C” Companies were placed under orders of the 9th R.B., in trenches S3a, G.4. (do not think this is correct, I think this should be G.10, which ran from S3a, along the Menin road to near the Culvert) and H.11.

Annette

Hi, Annette,

I am trying to track the service record of Private Albert Edward Yates born in Mellor 1877 who served with the KOSLI - Number 15656. according to his MIC he arrived in France on 6th September 1915. He was awarded the Victory , British War and 1915 Star Medals.

Albert Edward was married to Alice Breckle in 1899 and by the outbreak of war had 7 children, his eldest son Walter born 1900 we believe was conscripted later in the war but have no idea of Regiment. Before and after the war Albert Edward worked in the brickyards in and around Blackburn. he died in 1963.

hope you can add him to your data base and if you have any details of service would be most grateful.

Thanks

Peter

Hi Peter

Thanks for your information on Albert Edward, Yates.

Going by Albert Edward, Yates' number he would have enlisted some time in November 1914, along with a 15655 A/Sgt, Arthur, Yates, both landed in France/Flanders with the 8th Battalion.

Albert Edward was posted back to Depot (UK) by Dec 1917 (this was obtained from Depot orders part 2 No. 288 dated 04-12-17 found amoung papers of another soldier). The order does not say why he was posted back to UK. He was discarged 07-02-19 to Class Z Reserve. That's all have on him to date, I have added your info. to my datebase.

Annette

Hi Peter

Thanks for your information on Albert Edward, Yates.

Going by Albert Edward, Yates' number he would have enlisted some time in November 1914, along with a 15655 A/Sgt, Arthur, Yates, both landed in France/Flanders with the 8th Battalion.

Albert Edward was posted back to Depot (UK) by Dec 1917 (this was obtained from Depot orders part 2 No. 288 dated 04-12-17 found amoung papers of another soldier). The order does not say why he was posted back to UK. He was discarged 07-02-19 to Class Z Reserve. That's all have on him to date, I have added your info. to my datebase.

Annette

Annette,

Thanks for the inforamation on Albert Edward, as there is no family record of him going to Salonika did some members of the 8th stay on in France or was he transferred to another battalion. I am also try ing to establish if there is a link between his return to Depot and a) the fact he was 40 in 1917 or B) his recall was linked to the call up of his eldest son Walter or c) niether and I'm following the wrong trails.

Again thanks for the inforamtion and have a great Christmas and New Year.

Peter

Hi Annette,

I've found my way here through various internet searches of the K.S.L.I - I have recently acquired some Medals of my Great Grandfather who served.

I got his Medal Card from the NA, but I was wondering if you might have some more information about him, or his battalion?

He was Pte Cecil E Blackford 10865. His date of first entry was 22-05-15 and was deployed to France. He was discharged on the 09-05-17 and received a SWB.

My immediate family don't know much about him - hence me finding out what I can online!

I really hope you can help - what I would really love is a photograph of his battalion!

Thanks so much,

Michael Paver

Hi Peter

The only way any 8th Battalion men remained in France/Flanders was if they were transferred to another battalion or unit but Albert Edward, Yates Victory/British medal roll only records 8th Battalion. It could be that he was sent back to the UK in 1915 ? or family just did not save any info. on him going to Salonika ?

I am also try ing to establish if there is a link between his return to Depot and a) the fact he was 40 in 1917 or his recall was linked to the call up of his eldest son Walter or c)
Not sure on either but doubt the call up of his son would make any differance to his remaining in battlefield or not. It would be best to ask the wider forum on these two points.

Annette

Hi Michael

I do not have much on your Great Grandfather Pte Cecil E Blackford. From his number he enlisted around mid August 1914, and would have joined the 5th Battalion. Cecil is recorded wounded in the Times 29-09-16, it tended to take a mouth, give or take a day or two, from time of wound to being reported in papers, so he was wounded mid August 1916 but not sure if this was with the 5th Battalion because I do not yet have his victory/British medal roll entry (which records all overseas battalions that he would have served in). If he was still with the 5th Batt. then he is likely to have been wounded at Delville Wood either in an attack made by the Battalion the 24th August or while holding the line in the wood between the 28th-31st August.

The Regimental Museum at Shrewsbury have a good collection of photos, so may have some of the 5th Battalion.

Annette

Hi Annette,

I have only just found this particular subject, and wondered if you already have info concerning, Sgt - A/W.O. Class 11, Charles Jones. He was born about 1877 in Pencombe Worcestershire/Herefordshire, and lived at the `Burghope` Inn. His MIC Card records; `Shrops Yeo, No 897. K.S.L.I. No 230013. Royal Warks Reg`t, No 269383. K.S.L.I. No 230013, and finally, Shrops Yeo, No 386199. Charles qualified for the Victory, British, Territorial Force War Medal, and the Territorial Force Efficiency Medal - I know because I`ve got them!. I contacted the Shropshire Regiment Museum, who kindly replied; " The S.Y. served on the East Coast Defences in 1915 - 16, then went to Egypt where they were dismounted and amalgamated with the Cheshire Yeomanry, to form the 10th (Shrops & Ches` Yeo), Battalion, K.S.L.I. Fought in the Senussi Campaign (Western Desert of Egypt 1916), and then in Palestine against the Turks. To France, May 1918, and fought out the War on the Western Front." Charles` papers are available at Ancestry, and on one page, " Statement As To Disability"...It records; `Deafness in Left Ear, Caused by Nile Fever, Aug 1916`.

From what I have been told, the Jones as a family, seem to have been quite an important family within the community of Pencombe / Bromyard, area`s. Charles` occupation was as Farmer, and it appears that he first enlisted on 1st April 1908, but then, `Joined for Duty`, on 5th August 1914, at Ludlow.

Incidentally, what would a Warrant Officer` Class 11, duties involve?. I hope this can be of use to you in a small way. Cresser.