Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need your help again lads and lassies.

museumtom

Thanks Dyfed, this is a new experience for me, to be right. It will take a bit of getting used to.

Kind regards.

Tom.

I think, after looking again, I agree re Carroll - the records are a total mess though (at one point he's noted as 49yrs old)

Craig

The WO363 records are usually the service records of men who didn't make a pension claim.

Also known as the burnt records.

WO364 are the service records of men who did make a claim, I don't know if they were kept away from Arnside, or whether they were in a more robust shed, but are known as the unburnt records.

Soldiers have one or the other.

I assumed that Carrolls was from the unburnt series (364) but I could well be wrong.

His SWB does carry details of his discharge, but not his death, the Roll might be different,

Just now, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

The WO363 records are usually the service records of men who didn't make a pension claim.

Also known as the burnt records.

WO364 are the service records of men who did make a claim, I don't know if they were kept away from Arnside, or whether they were in a more robust shed, but are known as the unburnt records.

Soldiers have one or the other.

I assumed that Carrolls was from the unburnt series (364) but I could well be wrong.

His SWB does carry details of his discharge, but not his death, the Roll might be different,

The FMP record is from WO363.

Craig

1 minute ago, ss002d6252 said:

I think, after looking again, I agree re Carroll - the records are a total mess though (at one point he's noted as 49yrs old)

Craig

I think that 47 must be close, as he was 29 in 1899 according to his records.

It could be the DC that is wrong.

Craig, could you check the Medal Roll to exclude the 2487 number?

Ta.

Just now, ss002d6252 said:

The FMP record is from WO363.

Craig

OK.

Is it the same file as his Ancestry Pension Record?

1 minute ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Is it the same file as his Ancestry Pension Record?

Yes

Craig

I have a feeling this is his earilier enlistment - seems he served out a period and re-enlisted in the early 1900's and was discharged due to making false statements on attestation.

image.png.b93993946bd98bd1e19cbe9ecae4ae74.png

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=1114&h=763855&tid=&pid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=cla437&_phstart=successSource

Medal rolls seems to have only #247 from what I can see.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Getting confused.

George Carroll  4487  Royal Irish Regiment, born Waterford about 1872. 

George Carroll  247 Royal Irish Regiment born Waterford 1883.

Looks like two different men.

Bob

1 minute ago, little bob said:

Getting confused.

George Carroll  4487  Royal Irish Regiment, born Waterford about 1872. 

George Carroll  247 Royal Irish Regiment born Waterford 1883.

Looks like two different men.

Bob

Nothing particular rests on it I think but we know he had served before (and the fathers name matches the earlier record - as per the marriage cert and known record for the man). I think he's adjusted his age but we may never know for certain.

Craig

What great observations lads. You can see each of you have their own specific talent for delving into the records, and knowing where to dig. Thanks again for all the help. Having said that I sent 13 in this morning to Terry, and George was one of them.Fingers crossed!!

Kind regards.

Tom.

16 hours ago, museumtom said:

Hows about this one please? I would almost bet he is not in the CWGC. Can you help please?

Kind regards.

Tom.

1.JPG

Following up George's research into this man.

SS HYNDFORD was torpedoed south of Beachy Head on 15 March 1915. So the two men noted as HYNFORD were probably survivors.

Seaman John BURRAGE of the Newfoundland RNR appears on the Newfoundland RNR Medal Roll and is on CWGC as "HYNDFORD" even though he died (of 'flu?) more than three years after the U-boat incident. HYNDFORD survived the 1915 attack and he may have served in her later.

This does not mean that George McDONALD was also Newfoundland RNR. No RN rating in ADM 188 records, or medal rolls (RN, NF RNR or RNR) or CWGC matches him. His age tells against his being still serving in the naval service (16 years over naval pension age) at death. It is possible that he was a merchant seaman, perhaps with earlier RNR service. Such an early RNR enrolment would have been well before 1908 (when he was aged 45) and RNR records pre-1908 are few. He does not feature amongst these.

My guess is that McDONALD was a merchant seaman (possibly with pre-WW1 RNR service) in HYNDFORD and, like McDONALD, may have died of 'flu in November 1918, either side of the Armistice. As such he would not qualify for CWGC.

Edited by horatio2

Now this one will probably be one of the hardest you have to date. All you know is he died 02/02/1918, aged 22 and lived in Digges Street, Dublin. He died from TB so at his young age and ex army he must have been discharged with it. I had a look in FMP and there are some in there that might fit but none that I have seen says Digges Street. Perhaps if he had a pension it might tie it all together but I dont really know. Can you help please?

1.JPG

Thank you very much horatio2, lovely observations and analysis. I have to agree with you, if he died of flu he would not qualify.

Thanks again!

5 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Now this one will probably be one of the hardest you have to date. All you know is he died 02/02/1918, aged 22 and lived in Digges Street, Dublin. He died from TB so at his young age and ex army he must have been discharged with it. I had a look in FMP and there are some in there that might fit but none that I have seen says Digges Street. Perhaps if he had a pension it might tie it all together but I dont really know. Can you help please?

1.JPG

Thank you very much horatio2, lovely observations and analysis. I have to agree with you, if he died of flu he would not qualify.

Thanks again!

Possibly this man

image.png.8f8445a533d4f8dbe05551e6a07ab8a8.png

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?_phsrc=cla443&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&indiv=1&db=ukarmyregisterseffects&gsln=cassidy&cp=0&msddy=1918&msddm=1&msddd=2&new=1&rank=1&uidh=784&redir=false&msT=1&gss=angs-d&pcat=39&fh=0&h=155388&recoff=&ml_rpos=1

CWGC for this man - https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript?id=GBM/CWGC/ROLLOFHONOUR/000161847

Note the service number on CWGC is 4685.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

37 minutes ago, museumtom said:

1.JPG

Thanks again!

What date is given for registration of the death ?

Craig

George McDonald ( Macdonald) is not on the Canadian Virtual War Memorial  which includes members of the Newfoundland Royal Naval Reserve.

Bob

Afternoon

James Cassidy

4685 Private J. Cassidy M.M.
The Leinster Regiment.

Son of Mr. J. Cassidy, of 14, Court St., Dublin.

Death
James Z cassidy, aged 22, a bachelor, an ex-soldier, late of 15 Upper Digges Street, Dublin, died at The South Dublin Union Workhouse, on 2 January 1918.
The cause of death was Phthisis Pulmonalis Acutus, certified

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/57621265

Courtesy of Find A Grave

Note it says M.M.-so...

Gazetted 19/8/1919!!!

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/31512/supplement/10577/data.pdf

George

Edited by George Rayner

Thank you very much Craig, George and Bob. Excellent work all round. I am very grateful for all your help. The register of the death was 03/02/1918. Gazetted 19/08/1919 sounds like one of my typo's.

Kindest regards, and thank you all again.You made it look like easy work but I know it was not at all.

Tom.

That really is the date of the Gazette! See URL above-so must have been a long while in process

George

Oh hello! He's changed to a John!

George

3 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

Cassidy was discharged 3 Jan 18

I'm not surprised.

He died the day before...

Just now, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

I'm not surprised.

He died the day before...

It matches the date in the Effects, so just army efficiency at it's best (can't be dying before permission has been given) - indicates he was still serving when he died although the cert seems to read 'ex-soldier'.

Craig

Can anybody find any information about the M.M. at all? I'm not experienced enough to have the routes to follow I'm afraid.

George