Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need your help again lads and lassies.

museumtom

He is commemorated by CWGC as 'Holden', and all (?8) children's births were registered in Wandsworth between 1897 and 1909 as 'Holden'. I noticed that the widow signed her name as Agnes Holden rather than Holding.

Private HOLDEN, SAMUEL CHARLES

Service Number 875

Died 30/12/1917

Aged 47

3rd County of London Yeomanry (Sharpshooters)

transf. to (229216) 657th Employment Coy.

The children's mother's maiden name was Humphrey according to GRO, and Samuel Holden married Agnes Humphrey in Tunbridge in June Qtr. 1896.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Brilliant, you know that is mad altogether, sure what chance does a guy have? You lads are the best team there could possibly be at this enigmatic stuff. Thank you every one for all the help, it is very much appreciated. I did not stand a chance. I would never have found him.

Thanks again lads!

Kind regards.

Tom.

How hard could this one be if you found the other lad? I cannot find him at all. Can you help please?

Kind regards.

Tom.

1.JPG

And the next certificate below him is this officer. Another unfindable. can you also help with this one please?

1.JPG

Well done Craig, a great find. I can see a lot of lateral thinking going on here, and I am totally impressed! You are a star!

Thank you very much indeed.

6 minutes ago, museumtom said:

And the next certificate below him is this officer. Another unfindable. can you also help with this one please?

1.JPG

Lt H B Close
image.png.a3f56351ac2dfbfccf5a810dda58becb.png

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?_phsrc=cla430&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&indiv=1&db=ukarmyregisterseffects&gsfn=H&cp=0&msddy=1918&msddm=11&msddd=1&new=1&rank=1&uidh=784&redir=false&gss=angs-d&pcat=39&fh=13&h=196953&recoff=&ml_rpos=14

HB Close on CWGC - https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/899617/close,-/

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Thanks Craig I was looking for Henry Burke, silly me, sorry about that but thanks for all the help!

Kind regards.

Tom.

1 minute ago, museumtom said:

Thanks Craig I was looking for Henry Burke, silly me, sorry about that but thanks for all the help!

Kind regards.

Tom.

No problem at all Tom, I did at first as well.

Craig

:thumbsup:

Nice to see a Suffolk boy on your list Tom. May join in now I've finished on the allotment!

George

2 minutes ago, George Rayner said:

Nice to see a Suffolk boy on your list Tom. May join in now I've finished on the allotment!

George

Doing this is certainly more interesting than my, supposed, land law revision.
Craig

Excellent George, glad to have you aboard. Suffolk lads are welcome here!

1 hour ago, museumtom said:

1.JPG

Some research for you then Tom.

Why is his house called Plasnewydd?

It is as you know a Welsh  name - New Posh House, and is an exceptionally common name for a big house in Wales.

It can be spelt as one word or two.

Plas Newydd near Llanfairpwllgwyngyll etc.etc. in Anglesey is the ancestral home of the Marquis of Anglesey, the first of whom had his leg shot off at Waterloo, where he was Wellington's second in command.

Now then Dai, why is his house called 'Plasnewydd? Well d'yknow something Dai....he never said! Having said that Killiney is a very expensive place to live overlooking Dublin Bay.

Edited by museumtom

Yet again another mystery man. Can you find him for me please? It is beyond me, sorry.

Kind regards.

Tom.

1.JPG

Dont mind the number 108722 it is for the solder in the cert below him, which I could find so I don't need any help with that, thank you very much!

4 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Yet again another mystery man. Can you find him for me please? It is beyond me, sorry.

Kind regards.

Tom.

1.JPG

Dont mind the number 108722 it is for the solder in the cert below him, which I could find so I don't need any help with that, thank you very much!

Leonard Frederick Robert Sharpe  -  https://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/900497/sharpe,-leonard/

6 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Kind regards.

Tom.

1.JPG

image.png.7fa759baad58cef82b24fd9d697b3981.png

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?_phsrc=cla434&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&indiv=1&db=ukarmyregisterseffects&gsln=sharpe&cp=0&msddy=1918&msddm=7&msddd=27&new=1&rank=1&uidh=784&redir=false&gss=angs-d&pcat=39&fh=0&h=808716&recoff=&ml_rpos=1

Craig

How do yous do that? What chance does a pleb have among ye experts, sure we have no chance. Great find lads, I am very grateful, and jealous of course. Some day SOME DAY I'll get it!

Thanks again for a great piece of sleuthing.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Thank you Bob!

The S.S. Hyndford was with the Newfoundland Royal Naval Reserve if that helps.

Starting at the bottom!

Lionel Hastings RAF

First name(s)L

Last name Hastings

Birth year 1894

Age 24

Death year 1918

Death date 27 Oct 1918

Number 287513

Rank Private 2nd Class

Regiment Royal Air Force

Grave reference St. Aldates.

Cemetery or memorial Oxford (Osney St. Mary) Cemetery

Burial country United Kingdom

Additional information Husband of Rhoda Annie Hastings, of 10, Cromwell St., St. Aldates, Oxford.

Link

https://www.cwgc.org/find/find-war-dead

War First World War, 1914-1918

Record set Commonwealth War Graves Commission Debt Of Honour

From FMP here

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript?id=GBM/CWGC/ROLLOFHONOUR/000420136

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM%2FAIR79%2F2505%2F00136&parentid=GBM%2FAIR79%2F177644

George

Edited by George Rayner
Additional URL

First one is

Name:Albert Sweetzer

Regiment or Corps:Hampshire Regiment

Regimental Number:24026

(Not 20426)

His MIC

Looks as though he is uncommemorated. No Pension or Service Record.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr