Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need your help again lads and lassies.

museumtom

Hello Mark. My good friend, George, says 'Discharged 1911 medically unfit nephritis' so he does not qualify for inclusion, sorry.

Edited by museumtom

5 hours ago, museumtom said:

OK guys and gals, a medical question if I may please. If a soldier was discharged with Epilipsy and dies after from heart failure, does that sound right?

Well.....

Depends what the writer had in mind when he wrote 'Heart failure' on the DC.

The heart is a pump, and if it can't shift it's load of fluid, the fluid backs up behind the pump - Lungs for left sided failure, Liver & legs for Right sided.

If the accumulation of fluid if bad enough, you will suffocate and die.

Mind you, if you look at how many DCs of that time have Heart failure as a Cause of Death (COD) and you will realise it can also be a catch all diagnosis.

I don't think you can put 'Heart failure ' down as a COD on a DC any more, but Left Ventricular failure due to XYZ is OK.

Epilepsy sufferers though are actually at increased risk of sudden cardiac death.

This is probably linked to irrregular heart beat  or cardiac arrest rather than frank cardiac failure.

And heart failure  can actually excacerbate epileptic attacks.

So yes... it sounds OK.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Great diagnosis Dai, Now I know all about it, I hope Terry will accept it, but it will be touch and go.

Thank you very much Dai, I appreciate it very much indeed.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Before I head in to the sitting room as it is now almost safe as Eastenders is nearly over I have something that might keep you interested. I don't know who these are but if they could only tell a story it would be a great one!.

If you can help and they qualify it would be fantastic.

Thank you in advance for any help you might give me. Thanks again for your patience, ye are very tolerant to a doddery half deaf ould codger.

Kindest regards.

Tom

1.JPG

Ancestry has a tree for Rex 'Smalley' Wheeler

Death: Rex Smalley Wheeler was on a ship torpedoed in WWI off the coast of Ireland. He died two days after being rescued, exact date is unknown.

born 1892 West Virginia!

George

Also on Ancestry another tree has a Newspaper cutting indicating that Ernest Cragg was onboard SS Rochester torpedoed off Irish coast 2nd November 1917.

For those of you with access

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/mediaui-viewer/tree/9713171/person/424777061/media/67459174-f55d-4fc0-9a0a-667fc53d2802?_phsrc=Yiy17418&_phstart=successSource

An American ship

George

image.png.f06d8930bc84f5dfda9b4c1db4597680.png

U.S., Adjutant General Military Records, 1631-1976

George

Thanks seaJane...another useful site I have learnt about!

George

Edited by George Rayner

Unbelievable Seajane and George, I did not think anything could be found on them. Well done, very much appreciated.

Kind regards.

Tom.

The U.S.A. tried to bring home their war dead. That begs the question, is there a register for the bodies that were returned home to the U.S.A. Because these sailors could still be buried here in Ireland.

Thank you all for your help, the sailors being from the U.S. Navy is a real surprise.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Well this answers the question.

1.JPG

Well done Tom. Unfortunately there is no date attached to the first newspaper clipping but would imagine 1918. I will see what I can find.

George

Thank you George, I would appreciate it.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Its was going so well, everything going smoothly, then, bank. this soldier stops me in my tracks. I tried all different spelling, dates of death etc with the CWGC and I cannot for the life of me find him. Can you help please? It should be easy peasy but not a chance. Would I give you an easy one? No way!

Thank you very much indeed in advance.

Kind regards.

Tom.

1.JPG

Feck, I found him. McAFFERY. Sure what chance does a lad have?

Thanks anyway guys and gals!

CWGC then!

George

I think this is your man...but I don't have access to Fold3 so over to the friends...

Name: Patrick Earls

Military Service Region: Ireland, Ireland

Death Date:12 Aug 1917

Service Number: 3758

Regiment R F. A.

Title: Pension Record Cards

Description: Pension Record Ledger

Reference Number: 13/D/4680

Ancestry

George

That brilliant George, thank you very much indeed! I will pass it on to terry, he may have access to it.

Great bit of detective work, I could not have asked for better, thank you kindly George.

Hi Tom

Round the houses route gives him as discharged after 7 years service-upon completion-in 1916

George

Dies it say he was discharged with TB? please?

It is on FMP-try Earles 3758 RFA

George

15 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Dies it say he was discharged with TB? please?

Pension card states he died of TB, not that he was discharged with it.

Service record may help more.

Craig

Ah. Earles (RFA), Dvr. (Regimental Number 85596 on his pension record. Not sure where this number comes from?)

Chelsea No. 60402E

Pension Record on Ancestry - Mother is Mary, Born Six Mile Bridge , Co.Clare.

Labourer Newmarket on Fergus, Co. Clare. Age 25

Discharged 1/2/ 1916 on termination of engagement.

Examination on 28/8/1916:

Tubercle of Lung

" Not result of but aggravated by active service conditions".

His Pension Record

His MIC

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Thanks for all the help lads, Dai absolutely nailed it, He sent me a doc that showed he was discharged with TB. It seems as soon as he was discharged the first time he singed on again, got a new number, and spelled his name Earles. What a rewarding piece of detective work guys. I know people down his part of the country and we will find his grave. Absolutely fantastisc work, brilliant.

Thanks again lads and lassies!!

As an aside this is also an interesting point on TB and army service in respect of pensions (can't see how it would not hold true for other army purposes).
image.png.0839e981d5f03539a1f31d1859f75850.png

Craig