Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need your help again lads and lassies.

museumtom

1 minute ago, George Rayner said:

Evening

is there a comment in the margin ? (just wondering what the symbol next to the RAMC on Parker and the record below indicates).

Strikes me that that has been commented on in another thread as a way that the 'clerk' indicates the record has been checked but I can't track sown where it was I saw it!

Why do your think it says RAMC?

George

My typo - should say RMLI.

Craig

Thanks Craig-makes more sense

George

I don't think it will help the search but I suspect it's a T not a J looking at Thomas Steel and John Abbott. But as there are no Parker records anyway...

Do we know the units that were onboard at the time? Could that give us a lead? And I suppose there isn't a 'passenger' list as it was an RN ship

George

Its all latin to me George,

Dai, I came across all the Connemara casualties death certs, and why they are not recognised is beyond me. As I remember, besides the crew and other army personnel, one particular Army Captain died on it with his family and he is the only one remembered.

Apologies for not coming back sooner but I was shampling some raspberry and apple wine, thatsh 18 proof and rather easy to dhrink. Two glasses ( they wern't small) nd I am away with the fairies, and I don't even believe in them! At a euro a bottle you don't mind spending the money if you get the quality.

Thanks for all the help lads!

Kind regards.

Tom.

This may be a complete red herring, but CWGC has a James Parker RMLI of HMS ORAMA, died 01/02/1917, for whom I can find nothing in Discovery.

Could he have been accidentally lumped in with Laurentic's casualties at some point?

https://www.naval-history.net/OWShips-WW1-08-HMS_Orama.htm died of falling into no.3 hold.

Thank you Horatio and Seajane. Your help and guidance is very much appreciated with this enigma. 

Horatio, indeed it could be him. But more is needed, I reckon, and as I only record Irishmen or those with Irish links to the 26 counties he would not be for me.

Seajane, than you for your suggestion. All things are possible I suppose.

I hope everyone is having a great Easter and enjoying the good weather.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Lovely thanks. Watch the sun rise over Suffolk. Nothing better from my viewpoint

George

Y'know is sounds lovely George.

This is becoming really frustrating. I am coming across lots of names of these washed up sailors that I cannot find. They should be a subject on their own. If anyone fancies taking this on I would be happy to send you on the PDF's of the death certs, There are unknown graves here in the 26 counties and more than likely that is where they are buried. You can see by the certs their body 'was caused to be buried by' followed by a name of the man who interred them. You can see that not all the men washed up on a particular spot were not all buried in the same place (sorry for the double negative). I can see some of them on the Tower Hill memorial, and other Naval memorials. I did say this to Terry that it might be possible to link them to a particular grave and he says it is almost an impossible task. You need not only to show for certain that the body in the grave is sailor 'X' but you also have to show that it cannot be anyone else. 

I really have to pass these naval men by, or it would take forever to complete the project.

Now, the dog says I have to go walkies and unscramble the ould brain.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Once we get to the end perhaps another look. Keep them all in one place in the meantime!

George

Enjoy!

Thanks George!

Kind regards.

Tom.

Now then, a real poser on an Easter Sunday. This soldiers death cert is attached but his records say he was still alive in 1919 and aged 29, or am I completely wrong? I would appreciate your opinions please, because I am stumped.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Formerly RDF 

In the Census he is here:-

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Pembroke_West/Waterloo_Lane/10320/

First name(s)

Edward
Last name Armstrong
Age 27
Birth year 1889
Birth country Ireland
Service number 25801
Regiment Royal Defence Corps
Unit / Battalion 45th Battalion
Year 1915
Residence town Dublin
Residence county Suffolk
Residence country England
Series WO 363
Series description Wo 363 - First World War Service Records 'Burnt Documents'
Archive
The National Archives
Record set British Army Service Records
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Subcategory First World War
Collections from

Great Britain, UK None

1.JPG

1.JPG

Edited by museumtom

Are you sure that you have the right man? Have a look at the record for  Driver 47674 Edward Armstrong Royal Field Artillery.

Bob

The pension for #78416 Edwards shows he was certainly alive in 1919 and had given 2 Great Clarence Street as his contract address for his pension claim.
https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript?id=GBM/WO363-4/7291523/7/191

The man mentioned by Bob is shown as living at 2 Great Charles Street, was a pensioner and is certified as dying on 2 Nov 1917.
https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM/WO363-4/007258384/01999&parentid=GBM/WO363-4/7258384/146/1999

Edit: corrected

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

I have his address as 2 Great Charles Street, Mountjoy Square, Dublin, not 2 Great Clarence Street. Charles Street is on the death certificate.

Bob

45 minutes ago, little bob said:

I have his address as 2 Great Charles Street, Mountjoy Square, Dublin, not 2 Great Clarence Street. Charles Street is on the death certificate.

Bob

Yes, taking another look I agree with you Bob. Edited my previous post on that basis.

Craig

54 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

Yes, taking another look I agree with you Bob. Edited my previous post on that basis.

Craig

:thumbsup:

Bob

Eclampsia was a first for me lads. Thanks guys, I knew you would unravel the mystery, the two Edwards looked like the same man, but I needed your expert eyes to sort it out. 

You have not let me down, fingers crossed he gets through. I will not know until Tuesday though.

I appreciate all the time and effort you spent on my hero. Time that you could have been spending in the beautiful sun, for which I am most grateful.

Thanks again.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Another difficult one, beyond my humble efforts to establish who this lad is, can you help please?

Thanking you all most sincerely in advance.

Kind regards.

Tom.

1.JPG