Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need your help again lads and lassies.

museumtom

A great debate and valid points made. I will pass the comments on to Terry and wee what happens. Thanks for all your help lads!.

Now then, this next one looks simple, why oh why can they not be? Can you figure this out please?

Kind regards.

Tom.

1.JPG

7 minutes ago, museumtom said:

A great debate and valid points made. I will pass the comments on to Terry and wee what happens. Thanks for all your help lads!.

Now then, this next one looks simple, why oh why can they not be? Can you figure this out please?

Kind regards.

Tom.

1.JPG

He's on CWGC as Patrick Quirk, #46,  3rd Munsters. True name is JAMES MURPHY.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Never, NEVER would I have found that using the DC NEVER!. Thanks Craig, you are a natural.

I appreciate it very much indeed.

Kind regards.

Tom.

5 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Jeremiah O'D, has a few pages on Ancestry Pension Records. Mentions his discharge in July 1915, but no diagnosis.

That's odd, The link that Tom posted with cause of discharge given as "Tubercle of Lung" are not the pages I saw earlier!

Very strange.

Are there more than one set of pension records I wonder?

2 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

That's odd, The link that Tom posted with cause of discharge given as "Tubercle of Lung" are not the pages I saw earlier!

Very strange.

Are there more than one set of pension records I wonder?

On Ancestry there are more pages if you navigate backwards.

Craig

11 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

On Ancestry there are more pages if you navigate backwards.

Craig

I feel I'm already navigating backwards when I use Ancestry!

I'm learning a lot doing this research-not necessarily good, or right things, but finding interesting combinations of information to input. And they don't always come up with the same answer either-even if input the same!

Missed Quirk/Murphy due to sunshine in the garden

George

Good man George, the sunshine is very welcome, God bless it! Regarding searching, if someone could provide a few tips it would be very helpful indeed. I have seen you guys and gals getting hits with different combinations of parameters, and some brilliant ones with simple formulas. After an intense trawl of FMP for particular lads being unsuccessful, you guys and gals step in and blow it away with pin point accuracy and the holy grail appears. It make one appreciate the team all the more.

Commemorated at Ilkeston (Park) Cemetery, Ilkeston, Derbyshire by CWGC Tom:

PrivateTARLTON, H W

Service Number 5539

Died 19/12/1916

2nd/7th Bn. 
Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment)

Son of Mrs. F. Tarlton, of 84, Station Rd., Ilkeston.

Buried at 

ire, United Kingdom

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Ancestry has him as Hubert William Tarlton for soldiers effects

George

From what else can be seen didn't serve overseas and in Sherwood Foresters from 1915

George

Edited by George Rayner

Full marks Dai and George. You make it look so easy, and thank you very much indeed finding this soldier, It was totally beyond me.

Kindest regards.

Tom.

I hope all of you are enjoying this brilliant weather! Anyhoo, I am posting this to see who find him first. I know who he is and all about him, but can you pass the test and find him?

The time is now 14.47hrs.

On your marks, get set, go!

1.JPG

11 minutes ago, museumtom said:

I hope all of you are enjoying this brilliant weather! Anyhoo, I am posting this to see who find him first. I know who he is and all about him, but can you pass the test and find him?

The time is now 14.47hrs.

On your marks, get set, go!

1.JPG

John Charlesworth -  https://www.cwgc.org/find/find-war-dead/results?country=Ireland%2c%2BRepublic%2Bof&exactDate=16-05-1916

Craig

Congratulations Craig!! You win the virtual cookie. Y'know I was at it for about 15 minutes, but you got it a lot faster.

Well done!

Kind regards.

Tom.

Now then, we got us a mystery.

I have now finished with 1916, thank goodness, and now started 1917 and the first page the very first page stops me in my tracks with a mystery. Most if not all of the lads in this image were from the Laurentic. The problem is I cannot find Parker, or anyone near that name. Any ideas please?

Am I losing it? Have I gone past the point of no return?

Any help you can provide will be most helpful and graciously received.

Kind regards.

Tom.

1.JPG

Edited by museumtom

12 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Now then, we got us a mystery.

I have now finished with 1916, thank goodness, and now started 1917 and the first page the very first page stops me in my tracks with a mystery. Most if not all of the lads in this image were from the Laurentic. The problem is I cannot find Parker, or anyone near that name. Any ideas please?

Am I losing it? Have I gone past the point of no return?

Any help you can provide will be most helpful and graciously received.

Kind regards.

Tom.

1.JPG

is there a comment in the margin ? (just wondering what the symbol next to the RAMC on Parker and the record below indicates).

EDIT: might just be that they were in the wrong column.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Thanks Craig, yes they must be reading the same Death certs. The comment in the margin says 'error in copy only' Now the thing is the fella who caused the bodies to be buried did not bury them all in the same place as logic would have it. I presume he buried them nearer to home or in churches of the own religion. 

This one may not be solvable, but thanks for trying Craig!

The next box beside says:- Tenth February 1917.

Edited by museumtom

Poignant one Tom,

2 lads on the Laurentic - Ollosson and Hughes, both stewards, were from my home village in Anglesey, and are on the village's 3 war memorials.

Another sailor  (also Hughes) on the village memorial went down in the Connemara collision, but as that was a civilian disaster, he is uncommemorated by the CWGC.

Rules eh?

1 hour ago, museumtom said:

Thanks Craig, yes they must be reading the same Death certs. The comment in the margin says 'error in copy only' Now the thing is the fella who caused the bodies to be buried did not bury them all in the same place as logic would have it. I presume he buried them nearer to home or in churches of the own religion. 

This one may not be solvable, but thanks for trying Craig!

The next box beside says:- Tenth February 1917.

Looked through all of the J Parker Royal Marine records on FMP but nothing obvious unless it was a middle initial.

Craig

Its all a mystery to me Craig, but thanks for trying!

Unable to find him on    www.naval-history.net       it's not a link, but could be helpful in the future.

Bob

Thanks Bob!!

Kind regards.

Tom.

Evening

is there a comment in the margin ? (just wondering what the symbol next to the RAMC on Parker and the record below indicates).

Strikes me that that has been commented on in another thread as a way that the 'clerk' indicates the record has been checked but I can't track sown where it was I saw it!

Why do your think it says RAMC?

George