Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need your help again lads and lassies.

museumtom

Good afternoon

John J Atkinson #159400

found his effects on Ancestry. Still looking

George

I can't find him anywhere else. Says father George, not long enough service to qualify for gratuity.

25th Reserve Battalion RFA

George

The war gratuity does tells us that JJ Atkinson had never served outside the UK and had less than 6 months service at the time of his death.

Craig

Looking around #159400 seems to bring up quite a few Lancashire men, so it's a possibility to consider.

#159391 - Lancashire
#159394 - Lancashire
#159402 - Lancashire
#159414 - Lancashire
#159415 - Lancashire
#159416 - Lancashire
#159418 - Lancashire

Craig

That is unbelieveable!! Is there a link to any of his info please lads? I am sure he would qualify to go forward. I have no idea how you found him but that is fantastic, thank you very much indeed,

I though there was not enough to nail him down, but that didn't stop ye, well done and thank you very much.

Kind regards.

Tom

Just a reminder to all who don't have an Ancestry sub, that access to Ancestry is free this Easter weekend.

(Not sure if that is just UK or the rest of the world (including Ireland).

Thank you George, Craig, and Dai, if anyone could post a link to the effects register I would very very grateful.

Thank you all very much in advance.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Would you also please have a look for this soldier, who died of T.B. so he may be a contender for IFCP. He is unfindable on FMP, perhaps the answer lies elsewhere?

1.JPG

Morning Tom,

On its way.

The witness to Atkinson's death seems to have been a notable soldier. BQMMS G A Dubery. He was between Egypt and Western front apparently when he was in position to act as witness to the death of JJ Atkinson.

George

This is his death registration on Ancestry-note 1917 not 1916 as it obviously took a few days to get done.

Name: Peter Barrett

Estimated birth year: abt 1885

Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1917

Death Age:32

Registration district: Castlebar

Volume:4

Page:90

FHL Film Number:0101607

George

Good man George, I like your views and research. It all helps immensely, thank you very much indeed.

Tom

Do you have access to Belmullet Workhouse records? That may give an ID on Peter Barrett as an ex-soldier. And 100 year  rule shouldn't apply

I can't get at it at the moment. 

George

A good suggestion George, but I do not have access. Thanks for the suggestion!

Kind regards.

Tom.

How about this one? is this a foreign soldier, Harola F'i'lton? How do you read it please?

1.JPG

PrivateFELTON, HAROLD

Service Number 21144

Died 13/11/1917

Aged 29

24th Bn. 
Manchester Regiment

Husband of Clara Fenton, of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia

Buried Manchester Southern 

You guys are pretty sharp this fine morning. Your help is very much appreciated thank you very much indeed.

Its me again, sorry about this. This lad should be an easy find, if only it were so. Can you help me please? I cannot find him on FMP.

1.JPG

Ancestry has

Name: Patrick Nagle

Estimated birth year: abt 1895

Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1917

Death Age:22

Registration district: Celbridge

Volume:2

Page:281

FHL Film Number:0101607

George

Ancestry has just two pages of record for  3/10383  Patrick Nagle, Royal Irish Regiment aged 22 from Bansha, Co. Tipperary. Attested 9th January 1917  Posted 10th January 1917. Discharged unfit 22nd February 1917, no details of medical condition.

Bob

Ancestry has his attestation papers. Looks like father Patrick was his witness, step brother next of kin and after Feb discharged.

Regimental Number: 10383
Regiment Name:

Royal Irish Regiment

George

Crossover with Little Bob!

FMP gives you Blake and Keogh for that service number!

George

Unbelievable lads, great finds, thank you very much. Can you post a ling to the Ancestry file please? I cannot access it but Terry can. If the medical sheet is in there and it shows he was discharged with something caused by or aggravated by service he will qualify. He is really too young not to have died from something like that.

I could not find him at all on FMP but you managed it.

I am most grateful for all your help. he would not have been found otherwise.

Kind regards.

Tom.

7 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Unbelievable lads, great finds, thank you very much. Can you post a ling to the Ancestry file please? I cannot access it but Terry can. If the medical sheet is in there and it shows he was discharged with something caused by or aggravated by service he will qualify. He is really too young not to have died from something like that.

I could not find him at all on FMP but you managed it.

I am most grateful for all your help. he would not have been found otherwise.

Kind regards. 

Tom.

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=1114&h=682646&tid=&pid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=cla203&_phstart=successSource

Craig

Found another page Tom

https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/1114/miuk1914a_085864-01174?pid=682646&treeid=&personid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=Yiy17277&_phstart=successSource#?imageId=miuk1914a_085864-01172

from Ancestry. Says very emaciated on joining but Tubercule of lungs reason for discharge. 

George