Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need your help again lads and lassies.

museumtom

I think we've got far more to link than with a lot of men, even allowing for the numerous different spellings.

The effects record posted in #947 is for Guerrin (served as Grenny). The name given on the Nok on the MIC and in the effects are for George Guerrini (him and sisters on the effects).  So we know that 906 Grebby/Grenby/Greeny/Guerrin is Frederick Guerrini.

The date of death of Frederick (with a surname that is Grebby/Grenby or very similar - we know Guerrini served as Grebby/Grenby/Greeny/Guerrin) on the death cert is for the 5th Connaughts on 27 May 1917.

We also know that 906 Guerrini served with 5th Connaughts from the MIC and was discharged 20 July 16 and, from the effects, died on 27 May 1917.

We also know that the Guerrini family were living in Dublin, not too far away from the hospital in Old Kilmainham where Grebby/Grenby died on 27 May 17 and not far away from the address given on the death certificate.

Of course, the Mod and CWGC have the final say on what they will accept as evidence.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Thank you Charlie, and Craig, it would be a hard sell.

Anyway just keeping you up to speed with progress of things. In From The Cold Project has a 99.99% acceptance rate with the M.O.D. for inclusion in the C.W.G.C. It is hard to get accepted by I.F.C.P. unless you have the relevant documentation to back it up.

Having said all that, in the heel of the hunt, in the clear light of dawn, after all the eggs are hatched, at the end of the day, by all your efforts team, we have up to this very moment (an we are not finished yet by a long long chalk).........42 accepted!  Does that not bring a smile to you on this blustery day?.

I always said it, and I will say it again, it is not possible without your help, lateral thinking, and generosity of spirit, thank you most sincerely.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Edited by museumtom

18 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Thank you Charlie, and Craig, it would be a hard sell.

Anyway just keeping you up to speed with progress of things. In From The Cold Project has a 99.99% acceptance rate with the M.O.D. for inclusion in the C.W.G.C. It is hard to get accepted by I.F.C.P. unless you have the relevant documentation to back it up.

Having said all that, in the heel of the hunt, in the clear light of dawn, after all the eggs are hatched, at the end of the day, by all your efforts team, we have up to this very moment (an we are not finished yet by a long long chalk).........42 accepted!  Does that not bring a smile to you on this blustery day?.

I always said it, and I will say it again, it is not possible without your help, lateral thinking, and generosity of spirit, thank you most sincerely.

Kind regards.

Tom. 

Excellent, that'll keep them busy for a while.

Wonder if we can break the 1/2 century.

Craig

18 minutes ago, museumtom said:

42 accepted!  Does that not bring a smile to you on this blustery day?.

Excellent  Tom.

PS. And to my mind, Grenny is without doubt Guerrini.

I would tend to agree with that summation above. Well done to all for piecing it together. Now just that final page....

George

Thanks to all for their effort. And if you can find a record of Grenny, Guerrini., or even Geery on FMP I will be the first to download it.

It is a group effort and passing the 50 marks will not be a problem as we are responsible for adding 30 of the 43 in the last four weeks. Some I can manage without bothering ye but the hard ones I leave to the experts. For every one added to IFCP there are five that dont qualify but will be remembered with the other Irishmen as the criteria for inclusiion is a little less stringent. At the moment we are 40% through 1917, and we have 1918, 1919 1920 and 1921 yet to go through. I relish the journey.

Thanks again for all the support!

Kind regards.

Tom.

Just now, museumtom said:

Thanks to all for their effort. And if you can find a record of Grenny, Guerrini., or even Geery on FMP I will be the first to download it.

It is a group effort and passing the 50 marks will not be a problem as we are responsible for adding 30 of the 43 in the last four weeks. Some I can manage without bothering ye but the hard ones I leave to the experts. For every one added to IFCP there are five that dont qualify but will be remembered with the other Irishmen as the criteria for inclusiion is a little less stringent. At the moment we are 40% through 1917, and we have 1918, 1919 1920 and 1921 yet to go through. I relish the journey.

Thanks again for all the support!

Kind regards.

Tom.

I'm sure we'll be here to the end to help Tom. Keep posting.

Craig

2 hours ago, Ipcress said:

The handwriting doesn’t resemble Grenny

No, that's agreed

the G in the surname differs from the G in King George.

I disagree partly, as there are 3 capital Gs, written in two forms.

In the date column (Col 2), the Geo is written in cursive, and in this style, there is a loop above, and below the line. In the next (Name) column, the surname again begins with a cursive G, again there is a loop above and below the line. These two examples I'd say are very similar.

In Column 9 (Place of Death), the G is slightly diffferent, in that the loop above the line isn't fully formed, I suspect because the writer thought about joining the two words 'King' and 'Geo' together. All that's missing is the part from the end of the lower case 'g' at the end of 'King' to the top of the letter 'G'.

Otherwise they are the same, and they are the capital letter 'G'.

Agreed Dai-no doubt a capital G-what the rest says though and with an alias to hide behind even more fascinating.

George

Can i also add the Guerrini spoken in an Irish accent does sound like Grenny

I found a Frederick Greany but the military side doesn't correlate

Its a mystery, wrapped up in an enigma wrapped up in a whodunnit, wrapped up in.....

Yep, that would do it...Its a mystery, wrapped up in an enigma wrapped up in a whodunnit, wrapped up in.....a cursive G!

9 minutes ago, Ipcress said:

a cursive G ?

Cursive. Yes.

Old fashioned curly looping handwritting, copperplate, Gothic etc.

As compared to block capitals, or any other font style:

e175a2374a68e0e0e26cdbae1f2bab8b.jpg

4 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Yep, that would do it...Its a mystery, wrapped up in an enigma wrapped up in a whodunnit, wrapped up in.....a cursive G!

I can hear you being Cursive from here Tom!

Cursive is the word Dai!

Can i also add the Guerrini spoken in an Irish accent does sound like Grenny

to be sure !

Given that the 1911 census says Frederick can read and write then it must have been a deliberate decision of his to enlist as Grenny. I note that his brother had been done for Malicious Damage but that's hardly enough to make Frederick want to change his name. And its not as if his true name was an 'enemy' name ?

9 minutes ago, Ipcress said:

I know what one is, DByS, I was just following on the “ wrapped up “ vibe

Ah. I see.

This lad died from TB in 1917 but the sheet is missing from his records in FMP can you help please?

Thomas
Last name Lally
Age 18
Birth year 1869
Birth county Dublin
Service number 2760
Regiment Connaught Rangers
Year 1887
Residence town Stoke On Trent
Series WO 364
Series description Wo 364 - First World War Pension Claims
Archive
The National Archives
Record set British Army Service Records
Category Military, armed forces & conflict
Subcategory First World War
Collections from

Great Britain, UK None

If the relevant medical sheet is available he might qualify.

Thanking you all very much in advance.

Tom

His number for ww1 service should be 71040. R.A.M.C. Served in the arry from 1890. Did after discharge. Discharged at Alderrshot, on 23/06/1916, no longer physically fit for war service.

Edited by museumtom

Close but not the same guy, sorry Ipcress. The lad I am working on died in 1917.

Thanks for trying Ipcress!