Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need your help again lads and lassies.

museumtom

This one, I don't a the foggiest idea who he is. Can you help please. Nowhere can I get a clue on him.

Thanking you very much indeed, in advance.

Tom.

1.JPG

1 hour ago, museumtom said:

This one, I don't a the foggiest idea who he is. Can you help please. Nowhere can I get a clue on him.

Tom.

1.JPG

Can't see anything obvious yet.

Craig

2 hours ago, museumtom said:

Tom.

1.JPG

Scraping the bottom of a barrell here, but ...

How about Frederick Grenny , Pte., 906 Connaught Rangers,

MIC here    says he was 'Discharged', but not when or why, or if he survived.

But it does give NOK (unusually) as Mr. G Guervine?, 5 Charle mont Mall/Hall, Dublin.

Service Medal Award Roll . Pte 906  Frederick Grenny  5  Battalion Connaught Rangers discharged  20/7/1916  unfit.

Bob

32 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Scraping the bottom of a barrell here, but ...

How about Frederick Grenny , Pte., 906 Connaught Rangers,

MIC here    says he was 'Discharged', but not when or why, or if he survived.

But it does give NOK (unusually) as Mr. G Guervine?, 5 Charle mont Mall/Hall, Dublin.

I spotted Grenny as well, after my earlier post, as a possible but hadn't got around to looking at the card. Name wise he seems the best available match.

The MIC mentions a B104-117 in Dec 1923. This form was a medal application - apparently for an Iraq GSM bar.
https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/200994-army-form-b-104-117/

EDIT: Thanks Bob, I was just going to check the Roll.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Brilliant! What a find!. Try as I might I could not find any variables close, but you did, fair play to you all. Thank you very much indeed guys and gals. You are incredible at this stuff. The thing is when this is all finished I am going to miss it a lot, fear not, though, there are lots more certs there to be done, and I will need ye more than ever.

I am, as usual forever in your debt.

Thanks again for all your help.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Am I seeing the NOK surname as 'Guerrine' ?

Do you suppose 'Grenny' could be a corruption of 'Guerrine' ?

A handful of births  in Ireland from 1889-1916, almost all in the Dublin area.

(4 deaths for this surname ever).

And interestingly Geoffrey's name came up in the Oireachtas in 1923, regarding his health, and pension:

https://www.oireachtas.ie/ga/debates/debate/dail/1923-10-10/4/

Perhaps the back of Grenny's MIC is a total red herring and that it's not really his card.

Red herring, or can of worms?

I have to admit I am struggling with this one, there is nothing in FMP for Guerrine or 906 Grenny. We can see the MIC and the SWB card but there seems to be no records for him, sadly. Perhaps we should call it a day?

Thanks again for all your help, it would not have been possible to come this far without your help for which I am very grateful.

Kind regards.

Tom.

And no MIC or officer's file at Kew for Guerrine.

The address in the Dail statement is the same as on the back of Grenny's card. If it is the back of his card...

41 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

And no MIC or officer's file at Kew for Guerrine.

The address in the Dail statement is the same as on the back of Grenny's card. If it is the back of his card...

After looking around I think it's Guerrini as the surname on the back, there was a large number in Dublin at the time. Makes you wonder if he had anglicised his name.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

46 minutes ago, ss002d6252 said:

I think this man is probably Frederick Grenby.

There was a Frederick Guerrini , age 29, in Dublin in 1911. He had brother called Geoffrey Guerrini (I think he may well be the NoK on the back of the MIC)

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Dublin/Usher_s_Quay/Kilmainham__Old/57634/

Craig

Yes, I think you're right.

There are so many variables, so I tried Guerin but still no possibles on FMP. Shall be pass on this one guys and Gals?

Tomorrow is another day.

I do appreciate all you are doing to help me. very much indeed.

Kindest regards.

Tom.

34 minutes ago, museumtom said:

There are so many variables, so I tried Guerin but still no possibles on FMP. Shall be pass on this one guys and Gals?

Tomorrow is another day.

I do appreciate all you are doing to help me. very much indeed.

Kindest regards. 

Tom.

As per post #914 Tom I'm pretty certain he was Frederick Guerrini and he had served as Grenny but still unable to find any other records.

Pop your next one up and mark this one as a may be I think Tom.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Morning Tom

Where is King George V hospital please?

George

Its is also known as Kilmainham Hospital in Dublin.

Thanks Tom

No-can't find anything except the 5th Btn Connaught Rangers were a service battalion and theoretically in Salonika from 1915.

George

Good man George, it was worth a shot, thank you very much for trying, I really appreciate it.

Kind regards.

Tom.

And we are back again. This man died from T.B. and he was discharged no longer physically fit for war service. The critical sheet is missing from FMP. Can you help please? I would hate to pass him by if he would qualify.

Thank you in advance for any help you can give, because it is beyond me..totally.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Edward Last name Hynes Age 36 Birth year 1880 Birth country Ireland Service number 3/5421 Regimen tConnaught Rangers Unit / Battalion 3rd Battalion Year 1916 Series WO 364 Series  description Wo 364 - First World War Pension Claims Archive

The National Archives

Record set British Army Service Records Category Military, armed forces & conflict Subcategory First World War Collections from Great Britain, UK None