Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need your help again lads and lassies.

museumtom

Well done guys.

I can't for the life of me get this Daniel O'Leary in an Ancestry search yet Craig's link works fine!

Ancestry? Pffft!

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

6 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Well done guys.

I can't for the life of me get this Daniel O'Leary in an Ancestry search yet Craig's link works fine!

Ancestry? Pffft!

Very loose search and page 2 or 3 of the results. Don't we all love Ancestry...

Craig

Same with FMP. All depends on which order you input the known data. At least that's my experience lately.

George

I don't know how you did it George, but it worked.

Good spot charlie,

Unfortunately, found to have advanced phthisis at enlistment in 1915, so enlistment rejected.

Thought to have originated in America 2 years previously.

Despite this, was paid an Australian pension up to death on 19/10/1917.

Great find Charlie, and I am sure he will qualify. The reason we could not find him is Charlie was way ahead of us and didn't use the comma. Dang, we should have through of that. Well done Charlie, and another unfindable strikes the dust.

Very much appreciated.

A strange one to start the day. It looks like he was a discharged soldier as he did not die in a military hospital. Can you me help please? There are two men from the same county but their names are spelled Prenderville, Prendiville, and another from a neighbouring county spelled Prendeville.

Kind regards.

Tom.

1.JPG

7 minutes ago, museumtom said:

A strange one to start the day. It looks like he was a discharged soldier as he did not die in a military hospital. Can you me help please? There are two men from the same county but their names are spelled Prenderville, Prendiville, and another from a neighbouring county spelled Prendeville.

Kind regards.

Tom.

1.JPG

#7652 Irish Guards for Prendeville - https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript?id=GBM/WO363-4/7274084/88/963

States disability aggravated by wound on active service - also then states discharged as physically unfit with TB, aggravated by service.

Craig

Edited by ss002d6252

Fantastic Craig. That is all the boxes ticked. I appreciate it very much indeed.

Kind regards.

Tom.

19 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Fantastic Craig. That is all the boxes ticked. I appreciate it very much indeed.

Kind regards.

Tom.

No problem Tom.

Craig

Hello Ipcress, Thank you for your suggestion. I put the number in FMP without any hits. I do get a hit in the M.I.C's though.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Edited by museumtom

Good old Ancestry has him

Name William Maguire

Spouse Catherine Coyle

Children Kathleen Maguire

Birth abt 1890

Marriage Manchester 8 Mar 1913

Residence 9 Mansell St C-on-en, Manchester 1915

Pensions but not Fold3 short term attestation

7678 16th Service Battalion

At least I think that's him haven't read through it yet

George

34 minutes ago, Ipcress said:

The M/272091 Maguire ?

Unfortunately not, he was discharged Nov 19.

Craig

The one from Manchester under William Thompson!

George

This is from Ancestry...

Name: William Maguire
[William Thompson] 

Birth Date: abt 1890

Marriage Date:8 Mar 1913

Marriage Place: Manchester

Document Year:1915

Residence Place:9 Mansell St C-on-en, Manchester

Regimental Number:7678

Regiment Name:16th Service Battalion M - 6 Regiment

Form Title: Short Service Attestation

and this is a link to FMP

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=GBM%2FWO363-4%2F007315712%2F00320&parentid=GBM%2FWO363-4%2F7315712%2F21%2F320

Is Ancestry right?

George

I went that route because of final column

1 hour ago, museumtom said:

Another unfindable, can you help please?

Kind regards.

Tom.

1.JPG

George

Brilliant stuff George and Craig, fancy him being from Manchester? You guys are on the ball, thank you very much indeed. 

The thing is FMP don't his the vital sheet or mention if he died after discharge. Are we sure it is the right fella? His records say William Thompson.

Keep up the great work lads, You have a great track record.

I just had a look and one of the documents say his medal was sent to him in 1922.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Edited by museumtom

Roll of Honour. Sergeant R. Rafter. We regret to record the death of Sergeant Richard Rafter, son of Mr John Rafter, Ockanroe, Ballyfin, in Richmond Hospital, Dublin, on Sunday last, 9th inst. , the result of gas poisoning. It was only last week that we had the melancholy duty of announcing the death of a brother of the Sergeant, so that this further shock to the members of the family is all the more sad. Sergeant Rafter served in the Royal Irish Regiment, and had been invalided home from France, where, while serving with his battalion, he was “gassed. ” As a result he suffered from impaired eyesight and generally debility. Prior to the war deceased was stationed for some years at the depot of the Royal Irish, Clonmel. He was married to the second daughter of the late Mr John McGregor, plumber, Gladstone Street, and with his young widow and the other relatives much sympathy is felt in their bereavement. 

Sergeant Richard Rafter, Royal Irish regiment, who died in Richmond Hospital on 9th September from the effects of gas poisoning received in action, was 33 years of age. He was the fourth son of Mr John Rafter, of Ochanroe, Ballyfin.

OK I got him, but if I have the critical sheet I could send him on to Terry, can you locate it please?

Kind regards.

Tom.

Edited by museumtom

Richard Rafter (Sgt, 7107 RIR) of Maryborough, Queen's County (Laois), married Christine MacGregor.

Discharged 20/10/1916 to 19 Gladstone Street, Clonmel, Tipp

I had problems this morning-and reported it. Got the changes notice from start of month at top of screen then got frozen by Rant Thread! Been alright since 10 a.m.

George