Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need your help again lads and lassies.

museumtom

Same as In Memoriam

George

On 02/09/2019 at 20:56, IPT said:

Sorry IPT I missed your post, thank you kindly for that.

Oh yes it was, you found George Connell, I had not considered that.

Edited by museumtom

Terry says it is all circumstantial and the pension record says he is Michael. Feck.

Steady now.So you have found 1/8560 Sergeant Michael O'connell Royal Munster Fusiliers,who is not recorded by the CWGC. Try and see if Terry will accept him as Michael. Looks like one man lost and another one found.

Bob

Edited by little bob

11 minutes ago, little bob said:

So you have found 1/8560 Sergeant Michael O'connell Royal Munster Fusiliers,who is not recorded by the CWGC. Try and see if Terry will accept him as Michael. Looks like one man lost and another one found.

Bob

One way or another in respect of any alias there should be enough for that man to be listed, whoever he may be.

Craig

Thanks lads there lies the problem. Michael and george are one in the same I am convinced of it. If Michael is to be accepted then I need a death cert, and it does not exist, I have looked, see the bind?

An another point I think this is possibly the family in 1911 - sans George but with Michael http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Cork/Cork_No__4/Widderlings_Hill/393304/

The 'Michael' who died would have been a serving soldier in 1911 so, although we can't prove it, I think George took on Michael's identity when he enlisted in the RMF,

Craig

I get that Craig, and agree. The thing is.................is Michael George, or is George Michael? And if he is, who is who and where does it say that? If we can get that he qualifies!

Just now, museumtom said:

I get that Craig, and agree. The thing is.................is Michael George, or is George Michael? And if he is, who is who and where does it say that? If we can get that he qualifies!

You know what my views on a lot of the 'evidential side is :whistle:

'Soldier Michael' cannot be MIchael if the 1911 census is the right one as he would be serving, and not at home in Ireland as per the census. George however isn't there in 1911. I suspect he was found out at the end when he was dying but...

Craig

Here is Michael in FWR

First Name:
Michael
Surname:
O'Connell
Incident Details:
Sickness
Information:
Particulars furnished: Cork, 08/11/1916. Badges and certificates issued: Cork, 27/11/1916.
Sergeant
Service Number:
1/8560
Service From Date:
22/06/1907
Service To Date:
20/10/1916
Silver War Badge Number:
War Office Ref. Number:
A/46
Reason for Discharge:
Paragraph 392 King's Regulations (xvi) No longer physically fit for war service.
Overseas:
Yes
Service:
British Army
Primary Unit:
Royal Munster Fusiliers
Archive Reference:
SWB3006

https://www.forces-war-records.co.uk/records/8915287/sergeant-michael-oconnell-british-army-royal-munster-fusiliers/

This may be something we know already but I think I fell off at the roundabout!

George

Thank you Craig. That's is a real classy bit of research Craig!! If he is in the overseas Census then he would not be in the home census.

Thank you George, I did not have his SWB research. If only it said George.

Kind regards.

Tom.

7 minutes ago, museumtom said:

Thank you Craig. That's is a real classy bit of research Craig!! If he is in the overseas Census then he would not be in the home census.

Thank you George, I did not have his SWB research. If only it said George.

Kind regards.

Tom.

Michael in 1911

image.png
https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=2352&h=39057963&tid=&pid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=uJS393&_phstart=successSource

Craig

Who?

George or Michael?

George

So - can anyone else find a likely candidate for the family in 1911 (other than the census I mentioned earlier in post #2990)

Craig

A year missing from service though...? Post 2744

George

All Michael, George is only in the DC and newspaper reports.

Good man George, but it was posted earlier. the Problem is there is no DC for Michael only for George. If we can prove they are one and the same we would be motorin'. Having said all that Terry has added him the the 'possibles.'

Edited by museumtom

Oh Sorry!

George