Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

I need your help again lads and lassies.

museumtom

Name: Michael O'Connell
Estimated birth year: abt 1895
Date of Registration: Oct-Nov-Dec 1917
Death Age: 22
Registration district: Croom
Volume: 5
Page: 118
FHL Film Number:

https://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin/sse.dll?indiv=1&dbid=2534&h=5568806&tid=&pid=&usePUB=true&_phsrc=Yiy22060&_phstart=successSource

???????

George

Oh well...

Also trying to find his birth in Lancashire...

George

Edited by George Rayner

We are trying to find that Michael O'Connell RMF #8560 is George Connell aren't we? Or is he George O'Connell?

It's been a very long day sorting WW2 exhibition and I'm a little addled

George

We reckon that George used his brothers name to enlist. He served with his brothers name and only when he died was his true name George added to the pot, on his DC. His date of death, George that is, is the same as Michaels, Georges on his death cert and Michael's in his records. We reckon these are one and the same person. The fact that the family sometime drop the 'O' from their sirname does not help proceedings.

Coming late to the party. I think the case that Michael is really George would be helped if we can determine what happened to Michael. We know that Michael (probably George) died 11/12/17. If we can prove the real Michael died at another time the case becomes very strong. 

Edited by Mark1959

Right-

Michael aged 12 and George aged 10 in 1901 Census (but as Connell)

George joins as Michael in 1907-aged 16(?)

Michael aged 23 in 1911 Census (but as O'Connell) no George

George as Michael in military census 1911 #8560 RMF

Looking for death of Michael after 1911 either as Connell or O'Connell because

George died as Michael in 1917 and buried at Curraghkillane December.

Perhaps Michael died as George?

George

Yes George that is it in a nutshell. 

Kind regards.

Tom.

That was the way it was this morning, but doubt has crept in. It is accepted that George used the alias Michael and served as Michael, but is is hard to prove outright Craig.

''

Why would Michael be called George – his brother’s name? I accept that all the details match the Michael in the military records but there is no explanation of the use of ‘George’.

If that can be solved or a DC found with the name ‘Michael’, we can move forward.'

As he had enlisted earlier as George and been found out I suspect he simply used Michael's details to try and ensure that the Army couldn't link up his actual details when he tried again a year or so later. Of course, proving it may be impossible.

Craig

Well done anyway. Another lad remembered. Or is it two?

George

Thank you IPT and George. There will be multiple notes attached to this one to explain all the circumstantial stuff but I am not sure how the CWGC will list him.

OK guys and gals I was given a lead that maybe the answer would be in the absent voters list. But I dont have a clue where to start with that. Can you help please?

59 minutes ago, museumtom said:

OK guys and gals I was given a lead that maybe the answer would be in the absent voters list. But I dont have a clue where to start with that. Can you help please?

Not sure if they exist for Ireland for that period (and assuming they did/do, would they have qualified as voters at the time) ?

Craig

Ok so , thanks for trying.

Edited by museumtom

Sorry Craig, I do not know, I am clutching at straws/

There 2 sets of pension ledgers for #8560 Michael

https://www.westernfrontassociation.com:2061/image/645807179?terms=8560,1019

https://www.westernfrontassociation.com:2061/image/645804197?terms=8560,1019

Neither raises the issue of the name however if it was actually Michael who died then it does confirm death was 11/12/17 of phtisis.

Craig

On 07/09/2019 at 06:22, museumtom said:

Welcome Mark, and thank you. I did a trawl for Michaels DC last night without success. George is in the newspaper deaths and in memoriams for 1917, 1918 and 1919 and then nothing. No news on Michael. The only item that might help is the attached image.Which shows George with Michaels number. Still Terry has him in the possibles folder. He agrees that George is Michael but he need more. Perhaps one page that says Michael is an alias, perhaps a note in his pension?

image.png.0827fcc839bd28dbe321ae4736ce999f.png

Searching for the real Michael I realised this states "deeply regretted by mother, sister and brother". Therefore, we know that the real Michael, assuming our theory is correct, was still alive in 1917. The census returns only show one brother and sister in 1901 and 1911. So any death, or any other record for Michael, after 1917 should prove the case. However, lots of searching and the lack of postwar Irish records on-line seem an insumountable object for this researcher

10 hours ago, museumtom said:

Absent Voters' Lists only appear to exist for the following 3 counties, 2 in the North:

-Armagh

-Derry/Londonderry

(Originals available  to view  online at the Public Record Office for Northern Ireland: https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/absent-voters-lists-0)

and County Carlow in the Republic.

I haven't seen any references to any lists surviving for the Dublin or Cork areas.

A great shame.

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr