Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

Another card from my archives, a Sapper serving with an unknown Unit of The Royal Engineers but added here as it shows the cap cover being worn to good effect. Two medal ribbons are worn which I have not positively identified as yet. Have tried enhancing the image with no more clarity unfortunately.

Simon.

SUNP0003 (2).JPG

SUNP0003 (3).JPG

He’s wearing the simplified jacket with plain patch chest pockets Simon, which suggests early in the war.  I can’t make out the medal ribbons either, although the one on the far right seems plain.  Perhaps Territorial Efficiency.  
Forum members @Dai Bach y Sowldiwr, or @Andrew Uptonmight be able to advise.

Edited by FROGSMILE

His medal ribbons sure appear to be Egypt 1882-88 campaign medal & Khedive's star to me. In which case he is a fairly older veteran!

Best......Bryan

1 minute ago, RNCVR said:

His medal ribbons sure appear to be Egypt 1882-88 campaign medal & Khedive's star to me. In which case he is a fairly older veteran!

Best......Bryan

Could well be the case looking at him, certainly on the older side!

Simon

23 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

Best......Bryan

Brilliant spot Bryan.  Makes sense.

66B31C15-009A-4CB9-B0FF-CDE8AA32EFC4.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Egypt & Khedive's star medals.

Many RN ratings were called up in Aug 1914 who had prior Egypt campaign service.

woodhouse.001.JPG

Edited by RNCVR

Another card I find interesting showing an interior Stable scene and Men serving with The Staffordshire Yeomanry I believe.

Simon.

SUNP0001 (2).JPG

CPO Torpedo Coxswain......  He wears IGS possibly Pegu clasp, Egypt 2 clasps, East & West Africa 2 clasps, Khedive's star, RNLS medal likely VR, & Great war trio. 

556672676_JonesG.CPOTC1919.jpg.abbfe9789d1554ac6c4ae8b32866d91c.jpg

Yes, Staffordshire Yeomanry.  There are some very young lads among them.  Notice how at that time they were still wearing a cap badge with Victorian crown.

Part of North Midland Mounted Brigade. It was headquartered at Bailey Street in Stafford with the squadrons being headquartered as follows:

A Squadron: Walsall (with drill stations at West Bromwich, Tamworth, Lichfield and Sutton Coldfield)

B Squadron: Stoke-on-Trent (Stafford, Leek, Cannock and Newcastle-under-Lyme)

C Squadron: Burton-on-Trent (Uttoxeter)

D Squadron: Wolverhampton (Himley).

1/1st Staffordshire Yeomanry

August 1914 : moved with the brigade to Diss (Norfolk) and placed under orders of 1st Mounted Division.

27 October 1915 : brigade embarked at Southampton for Salonika.

En route, the destination was altered and by the end of November the regiment had arrived at Cairo. Remained in Egypt/Palestine theatre until May 1918.

Information from Long Long Trail.

Photo almost certainly the trooper enroute from Southampton to Middle East.

D9FD03B0-6497-42FD-9838-EE9BFB68705E.jpeg

1CE5DE40-7BB4-402A-B491-E2D65FCF2734.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you, I have often wondered if the printed number on what appears to be a blanket or similar on the left is a Soldier's last four or refers to an individual Horse and its related saddle, tack and equipment.

Simon

5 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

CPO Torpedo Coxswain......  He wears IGS possibly Pegu clasp, Egypt 2 clasps, East & West Africa 2 clasps, Khedive's star, RNLS medal likely VR, & Great war trio. 

556672676_JonesG.CPOTC1919.jpg.abbfe9789d1554ac6c4ae8b32866d91c.jpg

Bryan,

Lovely clear image, do you think it was taken when the Great War medals were issued or did he just not bother getting them mounted in the correct order for wear, I take it the Khedives Star and  RNLS medal should come last.

Simon.

53 minutes ago, Surreyguardsman said:

Thank you, I have often wondered if the printed number on what appears to be a blanket or similar on the left is a Soldier's last four or refers to an individual Horse and its related saddle, tack and equipment.

Simon

Horses were serial numbered on their hooves.  I suppose it’s possible that their tack was aligned, although I don’t think saddles were individually adjusted in the modern way, it was more a case of adjusting the blanket under the saddle to conform to the horses back. The soldiers were trained how to do that to suit their individual mounts.

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 minute ago, FROGSMILE said:

Horses were serial numbered on their hooves.  I suppose it’s possible that their tack was aligned, although I don’t think saddles were individually adjusted in the modern way, it was more a case of adjusting the blanket under the saddle to conform to the horses back.

I suppose with effort the Staffordshire Yeomanry medal rolls could be checked for the last four but of course there could be numerous matches and would take a great deal of time even with lockdown still in full swing!

Simon.

Yes Simon he has his medals mounted incorrect order. The top rack was how he wore his pre 1WW medals.  The campaign medals come first in order of award, then LS & finally Khedive's star.

After he received his 1WW trio he just mounted them together in a group of three worn below his pre war medals.  Normally the 1WW trio would be placed after the

E & W Africa medal.

He is also wearing the pre 1920 CPO cap badge.

Best......Bryan

Phillips.JPG

Edited by RNCVR

Thanks Bryan.

Simon.

Edited by Surreyguardsman

Whilst on the subject of Egypt campaign medallists surviving to 1WW service  ---  this RPPC was one of the first I ever purchased around 50 years ago!  & at that time it was primarily for the cats,one he is holding, & the other cat on the Leading Stoker's shoulder!

These are RND (Royal Naval Division) ratings presumably raising money to support the RND 4th Batt'n.  I expect likely early in the war, possibly fall 1914.  I have never seen another card like this one where RN ratings are raising funds for some reason.  In any event they have raised a goodly sum of money!

The PO wears the Egypt campaign medal with 2 clasps , RN VR LS medal & Khedive's star.  Note his moustache, doubt he would have gotten away wearing that during his RN service! perhaps permitted in the RND during 1WW, but as a wartime call up he might have been employed on recruiting duties in 1914.

RPPC RND 002.JPG

presumably Christmas of 1914.....

RPPC RND 007.JPG

PO wears his medals in the correct order.....

RPPC RND 009.JPG

gotta be a cat lover!!

RPPC RND 011.JPG

RPPC RND 010.JPG

Edited by RNCVR

What a super photo Bryan, thank you for posting it.  I can see why you liked it, there’s a real human story encompassed within it. Let’s hope they reached their target.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Bryan,

Agree with Frogsmile, a great photograph, raising money for Christmas comforts perhaps?

Simon

I was wondering about that.  Perhaps for prisoners of war.  The 4th Bn RND were also named as the Collingwood Battalion.  See below.

“The Royal Naval Division was formed at Walmer in September 1914, made up from Royal Naval and Royal Marine Reservists not at the time needed on ships. After five or six week’s training at Walmer and on the first Sunday in October 1914, the Collingwoods along with some of the other Battalions were ordered to pack their kit bags. They left Dover, sailing to France and landing at Dunkirk. The order came for them to go to the relief of the Belgians at Whybreck. On the 5thOctober the Collingwoods were occupying No 1 Fort in the trenches beyond Antwerp. The bombardment lasted 3 days and on 8th October, the RND were ordered to retire, this being under shellfire and part of the town being on fire.

In the confusion that arose only 22 of the 700 Collingwood Battalion arrived back in England, the rest were captured and interned in Holland or made prisoners in Germany.

After seven days leave the 22 survivors of the old Collingwood Battalion were sent to Crystal Palace to become part of a new Collingwood Battalion.”

Their subsequent history can be seen here: https://www.greatwarforum.org/topic/247428-collingwood-battalion-rnd/

Edited by FROGSMILE

1. Charles Austin Bunworth Campion.  - B.Cork, 1863 - D. Bromley 1929  London manager of The Commonwealth Bank of Australia.  O.B.E. (L.G -12/3/18). For services in Australia with the Australian branch of the British Red Cross Society.  Advisor to the League of Nations, setting up the World Bank.

Robina Johanna Williams Cairncross. - B. Queensland 1863 - D. Bromley 1924.   Married - Queensland 1887.

2 + 3. Roland Burnell Maule Campion. - B. Queensland 1888. - D. Queensland 1971.  University of London O.T.C. - Guy's Hospital.  Lt/ Capt. R.A.M.C.  France. 24/8/1914.  Also served in Egypt. Twice Mentioned in Despatches

4 + 5. Charles Aldworth Gifford Campion. - B.Queensland 1889 - D. Tonbridge 1963.  2Lt/ A/Capt. D Battery, 41 Brigade R.F.A.  France. 26/9/1915.

6 + 7. Oliver St. Leger Campion. - B. Brisbane 1891 - D. Egypt 1927. University of London O.T.C. - Guy's Hospital.  Capt. R.A.M.C.  West Africa. 21/11/1917.

8 + 9. Austin Bernard Lodge Campion. B. Queensland 1893 - D. New South Wales 1942.   2Lt. King Edwards Horse.  2Lt/Lt. Welsh Regiment.  France. 24/10/1915.  WW2. Australian Corps of Electrical and Mechanical Engineers. 

10 + 11. Jasper Thomas Campion. - B. Queensland 1896 - D. Winchester 1989.  2Lt/Lt. 11th Duke of Wellington's (West Riding Regiment). Lt. R.G.A.  France. 30/11/1915.  S.W.Badge. No. 233457

Campion.C.A.B. (2).jpg

Campion Brothers (4).jpg

Campion.R.B (2).jpg

Campion.C.A.G (2).jpg

Campion.C.A.G (4).jpg

Campion. O.St.L (2).jpg

Campion. O.St.L (4).jpg

Campion. A.B.L. (2).jpg

Campion. A.B.L. (5).jpg

Campion. J.T. (3).jpg

Campion. J.T. (4).jpg

Edited by GWF1967

What an extraordinary family.  Thank you for posting such a fine set of images.

Super images!  & all of the brothers appeared to survive the war!

Thanks for posting!

4 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

What an extraordinary family.  Thank you for posting such a fine set of images.

3 hours ago, RNCVR said:

Super images!  & all of the brothers appeared to survive the war!

Thanks for posting!

I'm glad you liked them.

It's quite refreshing to find a family collection offered for sale together, rather than being split up to maximise profits.