Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

No.3 Section. 490 Coy. A.S.C.  

A.S.C. Regimental Policeman

Pics (3).jpg

Pics (2).jpg

35 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

Certainly a possibility. A while ago I found a chap on his horse pictured at a custom house at a dock side before he left for France. I looked at all the towns he might have been at along his way. So this might be a similar situation, waiting to embark somewhere?

It’s not impossible of course, but in this case it’s not one man, but at least part of a battery.  It’s more likely to be their accommodation somewhere, and with access to their barracks stores necessary to set up the photo. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

17 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

No.3 Section. 490 Coy. A.S.C.  

A.S.C. Regimental Policeman

Super photos, especially the RP with his traditional, full length stick of office.  In the infantry it would have been a lot more stout.  Thank you for posting.

712 Coy. M.T-A.S.C.   and  A.S.C. footbal team.  Front row, second from left, Pte. John Telfer. M2/049261 A.S.C.  from Kirkwhelpington, Newcastle on Tyne.

KRRC Training Batt (2).jpg

John Telfer (2).jpg

• Admin
33 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

It’s not impossible of course, but in this case it’s not one man, but at least part of a battery.  It’s more likely to be their accommodation somewhere, and with access to their barracks stores necessary to set up the photo. 

Very true Frogsmile and thanks :-) I would imagine they sent the RFA from various ports so a number of places to look at. The search continues....

Pte. Roland Edward Dearden. M2/032952. A.S.C.  B.1886 Sowerby, Yorks.

Pte. William John Beakhouse. T4/ 06012.   B. 1896. Rotherfield Greys, Oxfordshire.  - His brother Donald Taylor Beakhouse also served in the A.S.C as T4/060120

A.S.C. Deardon.jpg

A.S.C. Beakhouse.jpg

Always nice to see another Rosener image!   I guess the stones on the ground are for boot-scraping before getting into the tent.

That’s a super picture of an ASC signaller.  The ASC were among the few corps whose units often wore collar badges on service dress long before general approval was given by the Army in 1924.

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, SHJ said:

Always nice to see another Rosener image!   I guess the stones on the ground are for boot-scraping before getting into the tent.

Glad you like it. The stones are either to scrape boots on, or covering a patch of already churned ground. 

Gnr. Ernest Allen Hounsell. 17573. 74 Coy. R.G.A.

"Craig" and "Davidson" - R.G.A.

Hounsell.R.a.. (3).jpg

R.G.A. Prees Heath (2).jpg

R.G.A. Prees Heath (3).jpg

Very fine pictures GWF1967, thank you for posting them.

34 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Very fine pictures GWF1967, thank you for posting them.

Many thanks. More to come, I'm desk clearing.

12pdr shell. 1900 dated example. My extensive library suggests it was in use during the Great War by the R.N. and also in German East Africa.

15pdr MK V. Shrapnel shell from my collection. 1900 dated.  Produced by Vickers, with  65A Time/Percussion Fuse produced by Elswick Ordnance. Used in Egypt by 1/A Honourable Artillery Company  and 1/1 Nottinghamshire  Royal Horse Artillery,  and by B Battery, H.A.C. and Berkshire R.H.A. in Aden. 

12Lb Shell (3).jpg

15Pdr...jpg

15Pdr..jpg

Edited by GWF1967

T-A.S.C.  Lanyards worn right and left hand.

"Willie Stevens" A.S.C.  R.J. Bats Photographic Artist, 53 Corn St. - Bristol 

T- A.S.C. .jpg

Willie Stevens.jpg

Harold Barnes Massingham. B.1899 West Ham (A.S.C.)  

95246. 1st King's Liverpool Regt. - formerly 319883. Bedfordshire Regt.  Died. 9/10/1918.  Aged 19

H.B. Massingham (2).jpg

Family grave commemorating Captain Kenneth Lambert 1st King's Own Yorkshire Light Infantry.  Killed near Ypres 9/5/1915 - Aged 28.  Buried at Oosttaverne Wood Cemetery.

Lambert. Y.L.I.jpg

Edited by GWF1967

31 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Harold Barnes Massingham. B.1899 West Ham (A.S.C.)  

95246. 1st King's Liverpool Regt. - formerly 319883. Bedfordshire Regt.  Died. 9/10/1918.  Aged 19

So close to the end of the war, poor sod.  He’d probably have made it if he had been able to stay with the ASC.

2 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Charles Squires. Rifle Brigade?

Yes, RB, or perhaps one of the TF Rifle regiments.  Yet another case where black buttons weren’t available.

Edited by FROGSMILE

3 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

So close to the end of the war, poor sod.  He’d probably have made it if he had been able to stay with the ASC.

I had a similar thought. 

5 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes, RB, or perhaps one of the TF Rifle regiments.  Yet another case where black buttons weren’t available.

I spent quite a while looking at variants, hence the "?"

8 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

I spent quite a while looking at variants, hence the "?"

Unfortunately the reflected light has obscured some of the detail, so it’s not realistic to be 100% sure.  If Charles Squires is a common name it probably won’t help.

Edited by FROGSMILE

On 11/06/2020 at 01:33, GWF1967 said:

Concert Party at an unknown hospital. - "The Shrapnel Pierrott Troupe" 

The shrapnel Pierrott Troupe (2).jpg

On 11/06/2020 at 12:49, FROGSMILE said:

Very interesting to see the plainly ‘issued’ dressing gowns in heavy wool.  I had read about these before, but never seen them until now.  Thank you for posting.

So that's what my Great Grandfather is wearing.  I had wondered if its was a coat or a gown and now it is clear!

1625894_HarryHughJoinerRoehamptonHospital1918.png.582be77f14b6441226a36183d4503421.png