Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

2 hours ago, SHJ said:

What a great image.  It looks to me as if he's holding his right arm and hand really awkwardly, hiding an injury presumably.  I knew a fellow who suffered from a broken elbow and held himself in exactly the same manner.

I too thought his arm looked limp, the absence of a wound stripe made me think otherwise. As Frogsmile pointed out though,  his jacket is also missing the overseas service chevrons. He has a rather intense look, the eyes are the part of the photograph in sharpest focus. 

3 hours ago, CorporalPunishment said:

"Arthur" has Wilfred on Squeak's ribbon and Squeak on Wilfred's ribbon, also Squeak is showing back-to-front. At least the ribbons are in the correct order.    Pete.

Thanks Pete. 

I have a couple of wrongly arranged medal/ribbon combinations. I’d always assumed it to be the work of later generations. 

2 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes, he doesn’t look very relaxed does he.  It’s also noticeable that he has a thousand yards stare.  We’ll never know but perhaps the poor chap was traumatised.  What with Pete spotting his medals being somewhat awry, all told it is quite a stimulating photo on several levels.

We crossed posts there. I’m glad someone else noticed his look. 

4 hours ago, CorporalPunishment said:

"Arthur" has Wilfred on Squeak's ribbon and Squeak on Wilfred's ribbon, also Squeak is showing back-to-front. At least the ribbons are in the correct order.    Pete.

But the BWM & VM ribbons are reversed, ie: BWM ribbon on the VM & VM ribbon on the BWM.

43 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

But the BWM & VM ribbons are reversed, ie: BWM ribbon on the VM & VM ribbon on the BWM.

That’s what Pete meant Bryan.  Pip, Squeak and Wilfred are the contemporary British nicknames for the three medals and are based on cartoon characters that appeared in a popular working man’s newspaper, something you would not be familiar with across the pond.

Yes I am aware of that Froggie, but not as well known an expression here as on yr side.  I read his post too quickly & missed the meaning.  But his medals was first thing I picked upon when looking at the photo, second was his rather haunted look (I thought).

Hope you are well!

Bryan

PS - the pair was also referred to as Mutt & Jeff!  No idea how that name was coined tho....

Edited by RNCVR

it's amazing isn't it.  There are countless thousands of these images and yet some, a small number really, are utterly captivating - they are works of art that speak to us on so many levels.  This photo is one of them.  I assume it is a "I survived" photo?   His eyes showing the awful things seen, the comrades he left behind and the relief of making it though.  I need a like button!

Yes I fully agree with you SHJ, however I dont think we will never know what their eyes saw or experienced!  I liked the photos as well.

Best....Bryan

41 minutes ago, RNCVR said:

Yes I am aware of that Froggie, but not as well known an expression here as on yr side.  I read his post too quickly & missed the meaning.  But his medals was first thing I picked upon when looking at the photo, second was his rather haunted look (I thought).

Hope you are well!

Bryan

PS - the pair was also referred to as Mutt & Jeff!  No idea how that name was coined tho....

Yes, my understanding is that those who served pre-conscription could earn Pip, Squeak and Wilfrid (the threesome - regardless of which type of star), whereas those who served after it was introduced could only get Mutt and Jeff - also cartoon characters (the pair).

8A2D8394-20B9-43F5-8EE6-983E29129A16.jpeg

E5213BB9-BF40-48F5-9919-1FA559306E0F.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Mutt & Jeff very big over here prewar, wartime, & 1950's.

And of course, they Mutt 'n' Jeff was rhyming slang too. An interesting confluence of contemporary popular cultural influences.

(now there's a phrase I never thought I'd write:D)

6 minutes ago, Pat Atkins said:

And of course, they Mutt 'n' Jeff was rhyming slang too. An interesting confluence of contemporary popular cultural influences.

(now there's a phrase I never thought I'd write:D)

Yes Pat, I wonder how many millennials would understand or even hear in conversation the phrase Mutt’n’Jeff as meaning deaf!  They’d probably think it was something to do with sheep meat!

Postcard sent August 191? 

"Ammunition Column Office" of an unknown TF RA unit. Nothing to exciting but an unusual snapshot.

983112142_TFAmmuntionColumnOffice.jpg.5a31de8219798b0cd762ab3e8e6ec6de.jpg

46 minutes ago, Toby Brayley said:

Postcard sent August 191? 

"Ammunition Column Office" of an unknown TF RA unit. Nothing to exciting but an unusual snapshot.

It looks very much like a table being set up for pay parade, awaiting the arrival of the paying officer.

• Admin
36 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

It looks very much like a table being set up for pay parade, awaiting the arrival of the paying officer

It certainly does Frogsmile. Do you have any ideas on the 3 soldiers on the left, they all have something just above their right hand breast pockets. WO with a crown on his sleeve standing? Regards, Bob.

Horace, 692 M.T. Coy. A.S.C. Peshawar. Armistice 1918.

Peshawar- Khyber Pass 1918. (10).jpg

Peshawar. 1918. 692 ASC (7).jpg

Peshawar. 1918. M.M.G.Corps (3).jpg

Peshwar. Nov 1918. (9).jpg

Peshwar.Horace. (3).jpg

Peshawar- Khyber Pass 1918. (6).jpg

Peshwar. Nov 1918. (3).jpg

11 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

Do you have any ideas on the 3 soldiers on the left, they all have something just above their right hand breast pockets.

An Imperial Service Badge.

worn by Territorials who had signed a declaration for overseas service. 

FBD8DD99-8AB8-4B71-8857-D1BEE8D3F5C7.jpeg

Edited by GWF1967

• Admin
12 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

An Imperial Service Badge

Thank you GWF1967. Sitting alongside a 6353/1905 clasp knife by the look of it?

13 hours ago, Bob Davies said:

It certainly does Frogsmile. Do you have any ideas on the 3 soldiers on the left, they all have something just above their right hand breast pockets. WO with a crown on his sleeve standing? Regards, Bob.

Yes Bob, they are Imperial Service tablets that were awarded to TF soldiers who committed themselves to Imperial (overseas) service if called upon.  The warrant officer does indeed have one.  There was a concerted effort to encourage men to sign up via a special document, as the normal TF terms and conditions only required them to agree to home defence.  Despite best efforts, in 1914 there were nowhere near enough men committed to overseas and all those signed for home defence only were sent to 2nd and later 3rd Line duplicate units, whereas the original (now 1st Line) battalion often went out to garrisons like India, Malta, and Gibraltar in order to free up regular battalions to embark for the seat of war.

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, Bob Davies said:

Thank you GWF1967. Sitting alongside a 6353/1905 clasp knife by the look of it?

Indeed. 

13 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Horace, 692 M.T. Coy. A.S.C. Peshawar. Armistice 1918

An Imperial Service Badge.

worn by Territorials who had signed a declaration for overseas service. 

An evocative set of images.  The regimental crests painted on rock in the Murree hills were quite famous back in those days.  I especially like the photo of the soldier’s bed space, showing the high wall shelving on which folded greatcoats and sun helmets were usually placed, stout hooks for suspending equipment, and then on his bed mess tins and various other items laid out on the rolled mattress in a typical format for kit inspections.  Beside the bed is the foot locker, or soldier box, in which valuables and personal items were kept.  On top of it is his metal wash-basin and plate.  One jarring note of modernity is the early mosquito net folded on a frame above the bed.

Edited by FROGSMILE

On 02/02/2021 at 09:52, FROGSMILE said:

.  One jarring note of modernity is the early mosquito net folded on a frame above the bed.

Thanks.  Jarring to the eye perhaps, but necessary.

"Will" Royal Welsh Fusiliers signaller. Llangollen photographer. Lettsome & Sons.

"Fred" at Park Hall Camp. 

R.W.F. Park Hall0001 (2).jpg

R.W.F. Park Hall0002 (2).jpg

27 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Thanks.  Jarring to the eye perhaps, but necessary.

Yes indeed, I meant jarring only in the sense that everything else in the shot had changed so little for the preceding 50-odd years, whereas finely weaved mosquito nets issued to soldiers was relatively new.

"Will" Royal Welsh Fusiliers signaller. Llangollen photographer. Lettsome & Sons.

Superb resolution on those glass plate images so that the detail leaps out at you, thank you for posting them.

Edited by FROGSMILE

GWF: Top image is qualified to instruct of course, bottom image has at least three such, and a fair number with GCBs or LCpl chevrons. Nice, thank you.

R.W.F. Park Hall0001 (2).jpg

R.W.F. Park Hall0002 (2).jpg