Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

Royal Welsh Fusiliers, General Service and Volunteer Training Corps cap badges. The men at either end of the back row are wearing V.T.C. - G.R brassards. 

R.W.F. Group. Derby Scheme A.Bands (2).jpg

Edited by GWF1967

1 hour ago, GWF1967 said:

Royal Welsh Fusiliers, General Service and Volunteer Training Corps cap badges. The men at either end of the back row are wearing V.T.C. - G.R brassards. 

What a cracking photo, the mixed insignia indicates that they are members of the Volunteer Force, the interim organisation following on from the VTC and before their designation as Volunteer Battalions of their local regiment.  As you say, some have VTC badges, some GS and some regimental.  I would date the photo to 1917-18.

Edited by FROGSMILE

3 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

What a cracking photo, the mixed insignia indicates that they are members of the Volunteer Force, the interim organisation following on from the VTC and before their designation as Volunteer Battalions of their local regiment.  As you say, some have VTC badges, some GS and some regimental.  I would date the photo to 1917-18.

Thanks.  It took me a while to identify the V.T.C. cap badge. 

"Frances Tom Merrett. Hucc(lecote),  Glos,  3rd L. Back.  (Yew Tree House)". 

II Cpl. 96670. Royal Engineers.  

Hampshire cap badges.(Thanks Frogsmile). 

Front left and rear right are wearing identity tags on their braces.

Francis Merrett. S.Lancs .jpg

Edited by GWF1967
Badge identification corrected.

Prince Alexander Augustus Frederick William Alfred George. - Earl of Athlone. KG. GCB. GCMG. GCVO. DSO. ADC. PC. FRS. Capt. 7th Hussars (1906).

Major. 2nd Life Guards. - France. 16/8/1914. British Mission with the Belgian Field Army. 1st Echelon. 26/10/1914

Alexander of Teck.jpg

9 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

"Frances Tom Merrett. Hucc(lecote),  Glos,  3rd L. Back.  (Yew Tree House)". 

II Cpl. 96670. Royal Engineers.  

S/Lancs? cap badges.  Front left and rear right are wearing identity tags on their braces.

They are all Hampshire Regiment.

8FDBB52A-394A-4CD1-8015-ADDE7AE1C241.jpeg

Just now, FROGSMILE said:

They are all Hampshire Regiment.

8FDBB52A-394A-4CD1-8015-ADDE7AE1C241.jpeg

Thanks Frogsmile.

I thought I could make out an animal shape. 

16 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

....Ergo your photo is either Piershill Barracks, Edinburgh, or Canterbury....

NB.  The doorway in your photo, with its decorative features in the top corners has the look of a church.  I wonder if he used his Lance to provide a marital arch at a military wedding.  It would probably have been the garrison church nearby Piershill.

Thanks for the details and images Frogsmile,  the doorway has got an ecclesiastical / educational / civic look and a wedding photo is a good shout.  I have some good leads to follow.  Fingers crossed I can find out who he was.

17 minutes ago, SHJ said:

Thanks for the details and images Frogsmile,  the doorway has got an ecclesiastical / educational / civic look and a wedding photo is a good shout.  I have some good leads to follow.  Fingers crossed I can find out who he was.

Glad to help, it will be interesting to know if you learn more.

3rd Home Counties R.F.A.

Home Counties RFA.jpg

Edward Dennis. 18th Hussars.

18th Hussars (3).jpg

Royal Fusiliers. Any ideas as to what the M.Q. S.TO. 8 stands for are welcomed.

Royal Fus. M.Q STO.jpg

It’s the main entrance to an accommodation block converted into Married Quarters (MQ).  Inside are four quarters numbered 5, 6, 7, and 8.  At that time each one comprised a living room a small kitchen and a bedroom.  The privy was outside and bathing was done in a tin bath.  Blocks were converted in this way in older barracks where no separate MQs had yet been built.  During the war the MQs were often converted into soldiers accommodation as the families had been sent to regimental depots.

Edited by FROGSMILE

2 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

It’s the main entrance to an accommodation block converted into Married Quarters (MQ).  Inside are four quarters numbered 5, 6, 7, and 8.  At that time each one comprised a living room a small kitchen and a bedroom.  The privy was outside and bathing was done in a tin bath.  Blocks were converted in this way in older barracks where no separate MQs had yet been built.  During the war the MQs were often converted into soldiers accommodation as the families had been sent to regimental depots.

Many thanks for the fast and informative response. I see the 5 now, still not sure I’d have worked it out. 

10 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Many thanks for the fast and informative response. I see the 5 now, still not sure I’d have worked it out. 

I’m glad to help.  Notice the boot scraper just to the right of the doorway.  They still survived in the red brick Victorian era barracks where I was stationed as a young soldier.  Sometimes they were inset in a recess in the wall so that you couldn’t trip over them in the dark.

Edited by FROGSMILE

11 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

I’m glad to help.  Notice the boot scraper just to the right of the doorway.  They still survived in the red brick Victorian era barracks where I was stationed as a young soldier.  Sometimes they were inset in a recess in the wall so that you couldn’t trip over them in the dark.

Boot scraper noted. I have one outside my front door; A practical addition to any rural home. I’ve previously lived in a Georgian building with wall recessed scrapers outside every doorway. 

13 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

3rd Home Counties R.F.A.

Edward Dennis. 18th Hussars.

The ball buttons favoured by Hussar regiments are very apparent in the fine portrait of a 18th Hussars private.

'The Despatch Orderlies (21st Lancers) passing Marlborough House' found in my GGGM's fabulous collection so I'm keeping the door ajar.  Blank on the reverse of course.  They do look splendid.

1235409233_Scan53.jpeg.5985942cbe11d3f1d1841d2b1eff7291.jpeg

I would have thought the 21st Lancers possible, had not the plastron front to the tunic matched so closely with his white gauntlets.  Even allowing for photographic fading I’d expect to see a slight shade differential with orthochromatic film.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Taken from a book called "These were our dogs" - Libby Hall. 

Unidentified B.S.M? - R.G.A.

"France 1916. Our Corp pet. St. Bernard named Hissy 8 months old and the Terrier named Jack. Just after we came out here 16 months - and our Staff Sgt Farrier Len Nusse" - 

Farrier Staff Sgt. Leonard Clarence Nurse. T/1521 - T/249007. A.S.C.  B. 1881. Stroud, Gloucestershire. 

Scan_20170126 (8).jpg

Scan_20170126 (15).jpg

I am acquainted with Libby Hall, she made some inquiries in the now defunct Victorian Wars Forum and was advised concerning some military images that included dogs.

You’re correct that the RGA soldier is a BSM if before 1915, but a BQMS if after that.  In general the BQMS were supposed to use a smaller crown but some corps were permitted to use the larger size for both ranks.

Edited by FROGSMILE

8 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

I am acquainted with Libby Hall, she made some inquiries in the now defunct Victorian Wars Forum and was advised concerning some military images that included dogs.

You’re correct that the RGA soldier is a BSM if before 1915, but a BQMS if after that.  In general the BQMS were supposed to use a smaller crown but some corps were permitted to use the larger size for both ranks.

Many thanks for the detail.

I've sent another picture from the book by P.M, I wondered if you could identify the regiment for me please?

13 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Many thanks for the detail.

I've sent another picture from the book by P.M, I wondered if you could identify the regiment for me please?

Will do.  I have replied.

Harry Joseph Cawte. B. 1870 Enlisted 1889.  Pte. 2718 Hampshire Regiment. 

Served overseas as C.S.M - WO1-  T/9728. Army Service Corps. 

Scan_20181209 (7).jpg

3 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Will do.  I have replied.

Much appreciated. 

8 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Harry Joseph Cawte. B. 1870 Enlisted 1889.  Pte. 2718 Hampshire Regiment. 

Served overseas as C.S.M - WO1-  T/9728. Army Service Corps. 

Scan_20181209 (7).jpg

Much appreciated. 

The cap badge is neither the standard Hampshire Regiment nor the ASC.  It looks more like the RAMC.

I enclose some non standard badges for Territorial Force battalion’s of the regiment.

807BE53C-FD85-4836-886B-45AD05C105D7.jpeg

46966FD8-4EE3-4109-8C43-DC84C10BFEC0.jpeg

7FE55B21-A970-46F6-B361-56D422D228EB.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Just now, FROGSMILE said:

The cap badge is neither the standard Hampshire Regiment nor the ASC.  It looks more like the RAMC.

It certainly does, I assumed he'd served with them pre war, or someone had recorded the wrong details on the card.