Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

18 minutes ago, Toby Brayley said:

Some cracking cards there thank you for posting! 

A much less exciting addition from me, TF RAMC sent on 12th 0? 1914. 

Still in a mix of 1903 and P1888 equipment.  They were obviously only issued with one cap badge!  Note the CMP (Camp Military Police) Armlet.  

Also interesting to note (to me anyway) the way the tunics have been folded with the serge liner one the outside.

330830963_TFRAMCkit.jpg.8cd2bdc620bcbc34bc6382f52f7a32ca.jpg

Super photo Toby.  They are very young.  Folding tunics lining outwards seems to have been quite common as it kept the outside free of mud, clay and other ‘accidental’ soiling.  You might well be right regarding Camp Military Police, as it would chime with the annual camps that were such a feature of the auxiliary forces.  Another one occasionally seen, but more associated with regulars is GMP, referring to Garrison Military Police as I suspect you might already know.  Both were intended to keep order within the bounds of places where significant groups of soldiers were gathered.

1 hour ago, Toby Brayley said:

...Also interesting to note (to me anyway) the way the tunics have been folded with the serge liner one the outside...

Would this not also show off the stamped issue marks Toby? A way perhaps of checking whether every man had his jacket, and not someone elses...

4 hours ago, Andrew Upton said:

Would this not also show off the stamped issue marks Toby? A way perhaps of checking whether every man had his jacket, and not someone elses...

Yes that’s an excellent point Andrew, they have not been practised for many decades now (they were generally hated by the soldiers), but kit checks both in barracks and in the field generally included a check of the marking as well as of the serviceability of the items themselves.

Edited by FROGSMILE

19 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

R.W.F.

"Champions, Cairo. Military Region ?,  1917-18"  L-R-  "Adjutant - Officer Commanding - Regimental Sergeant Major" 

Cairo.jpg

GWF The "regimental sergeant major" appears to be a Company Sergeant Major, Thank you for all these super RWF images.

1 minute ago, Muerrisch said:

GWF The "regimental sergeant major" appears to be a Company Sergeant Major, Thank you for all these super RWF images.

You're welcome, thanks for your observations. 

4 hours ago, Toby Brayley said:

Some cracking cards there thank you for posting! 

A much less exciting addition from me, TF RAMC sent on 12th 0? 1914. 

Still in a mix of 1903 and P1888 equipment.  They were obviously only issued with one cap badge!  Note the CMP (Camp Military Police) Armlet.  

Also interesting to note (to me anyway) the way the tunics have been folded with the serge liner one the outside.

330830963_TFRAMCkit.jpg.8cd2bdc620bcbc34bc6382f52f7a32ca.jpg

Toby,

thank you. I always look for the row, or two rows, of cherry red braid authorised for the cuffs of 2nd and 1st class Orderlies RAMC TF  [identical to regulars]. There are very few to be seen in old pictures. Apart from the policeman, my excitement stems from the bugler!

I think there is a straw boater photo-bombing. 

4 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Folding tunics lining outwards seems to have been quite common as it kept the outside free of mud, clay and other ‘accidental’ soiling.  

Makes perfect sense, thank you!

4 hours ago, Andrew Upton said:

Quite possible, either way not something I have really seen (or probably noticed) in kit layouts. Might well be mentioned in SOs and such.  Note the full palias and brailed tents. 

6 minutes ago, Muerrisch said:

Toby,

thank you. I always look for the row, or two rows, of cherry red braid authorised for the cuffs of 2nd and 1st class Orderlies RAMC TF  [identical to regulars]. There are very few to be seen in old pictures. Apart from the policeman, my excitement stems from the bugler!

I think there is a straw boater photo-bombing. 

Likewise, it was the first thing I looked for!  I only have 1 image of a 2nd Class Orderly, alas not in SD. 

1406956684_MSCRAMC2ndClassorderley.jpg.26335ab94f2d0cf4e2a13a9365d76069.jpg

I’ve never yet seen the cherry coloured rings worn on service dress and gained the impression that for some reason the practice was reserved to blue tunics and frocks.  Unfortunately I’ve never come across any documentation referring to the matter.

7 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

I’ve never yet seen the cherry coloured rings worn on service dress and gained the impression that for some reason the practice was reserved to blue tunics and frocks.  Unfortunately I’ve never come across any documentation referring to the matter.

I have only seen a handful on SD. Not mine sadly, this one was on a thread here on the GWF many moons ago. Apologies to the original poster, I can not recall who it was. 

59d9e79cccd8f_RAMCcuffringscloseup.thumb.jpg.2ca048b650a6cf562c5dcde4bd3f98c0.jpg.ae19ff31305f8eb2cb1bfd1f33f50331.jpg

8 minutes ago, Toby Brayley said:

I have only seen a handful on SD. Not mine sadly, this one was on a thread here on the GWF many moons ago. Apologies to the original poster, I can not recall who it was. 

That’s excellent, a very clear view Toby, thank you.  I don’t think that I’ve seen one before (on SD), but maybe it’s just that they’re quite rare.  Perhaps they were initially authorised and then subsequently discontinued.  The necessary tailoring would have been quite awkward to organise.

Edited by FROGSMILE

25 minutes ago, Toby Brayley said:

59d9e79cccd8f_RAMCcuffringscloseup.thumb.jpg.2ca048b650a6cf562c5dcde4bd3f98c0.jpg.ae19ff31305f8eb2cb1bfd1f33f50331.jpg

Toby, I think it was Grumpy but difficult to find the way back.  If not, apologies are due to somebody. I have a few others illustrated, but only a few, and no original authentic bands.

• Admin

Possibly Hertfordshire Regiment 

16 minutes ago, Ipcress said:

Any thoughts on the regiment for these guys ? 

IMG_20210210_133251.jpg

Royal East Kent Yeomanry?

See the source image

See the source image

Edited by GWF1967

On the money I reckon.  Good spot GWF1967.  A very young lad far right 3rd row from front.  Early in the war I should think.

Edited by FROGSMILE

7 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

On the money I reckon.  Good spot GWF1967.  

It had to happen sooner or later. :D

16 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

It had to happen sooner or later. :D

It's quite an obscure little badge.  The photo very likely shows the unit at or near Canterbury, where both 1st and 2nd Line units of the regiment were 1914-15.

47 minutes ago, Ipcress said:

Any thoughts on the regiment for these guys ? 

IMG_20210210_133251.jpg

IMG_20210210_133500.jpg

IPCRESS. Several signallers and a lad with grenade left forearm. Offical intro. AO 403 1915. 

1894340269_HerbertHospital.jpeg.de957146a75d0342db47200bee01d28c.jpeg

Blue tunics, a young Ringo Starr and these two had a heavy lunch by the looks of things.  There are some medals on display too.

254214662_Screenshot2021-02-10at14_29_06.png.09519084a18b7f4f63cefe5283e41de7.png 125875729_Screenshot2021-02-10at14_29_15.png.667a59ce117f069c2109065e426a389f.png

PostCard says "Company Group Royal Herbert Hospital 247" it is from the Taylor Reality series.  I assume they are Royal Army Medical Corps

Reverse is blank, sadly.

106347304_Screenshot2021-02-10at14_36_09.png.ea0f553503b2dbf10280824a92070abf.png

Edited by SHJ

That's a cracking group photo SHJ, thank you for posting.  The Royal Herbert was one of three large hospitals for the Army at that time and located at Woolwich as you probably know.  The photo was taken at a time when the hospital was still in its heyday, although its internal facilities were becoming a little dated.  It still stands and now comprises swish private apartments.  Interestingly it had been built to a special 'Asylum' design endorsed by Florence Nightingale.

The_Herbert_Military_Hospital,_Woolwich;_the_silhouette_of_t_Wellcome_V0013880.jpg

Royal_Herbert_Hospital,_Woolwich_Wellcome_L0050103.jpg

Herbert.jpg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thanks!  Which again points to the Lancer photo that I have of being someone from the family or a friend / neighbour.  The Hospital was on Shooters Hill and I have family living on that road in the late 19C!  Bingo.  I wonder if it was taken at the depot... 

On 10/02/2021 at 14:57, SHJ said:

Thanks!  Which again points to the Lancer photo that I have of being someone from the family or a friend / neighbour.  The Hospital was on Shooters Hill and I have family living on that road in the late 19C!  Bingo.  I wonder if it was taken at the depot... 

It depends on the date really, the Lancers depot closed in the very early 1860s.  The Royal Herbert hospital opened in 1865.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thank you, GWF and Muerrisch.

I didn't even think of the yeomanry badge. - i saw the horse and thought " well West Kent has a wreath and it's not a Remounts "

On 10/02/2021 at 14:57, SHJ said:

It had slipped my mind that the Lancers had a Depot in Woolwich again from just before the 2nd Boer War until 1914.  It was in Shrapnel Barracks. Do those dates chime with the photo you mentioned, SHJ? 

It’s this barracks that had been occupied as a station and depot for cavalry for many decades until all the cavalry Depot Troops moved to the cavalry barracks in Canterbury.  Today it’s the site of the Queen Elizabeth Hospital (which had been built as a military facility to replace the Royal Herbert, but handed over to the NHS after the end of the Cold War).

98BA3979-6C40-4452-AE20-1F8A39DDACB1.jpeg

09EF9766-A8F2-4B7E-B328-01BADADBCEA5.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Thats terrific information Frogsmile!  It does tie in.  The family were there during 1891 census and one door down was this chap:

1513948228_Screenshot2021-02-12at18_35_12.png.06e6227c6d18122aa7f22721967e37bc.png 

766124654_Screenshot2021-02-12at18_40_46.png.936d61aa6935ced5569944e63d2649bd.png

Colonel Henry Buchaman Dunlop?

Not Lancers but he might well have influenced their son to join up and maybe he is the one in the photo...  it's all surmise and vague possibility but interesting. very interesting.  Thanks!  Weekend researching sorted!   Even if only to find out more about this chap.

Edited by SHJ