Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

5 minutes ago, Ipcress said:

I thought so but there appears to be some definition on the horizontal panels of the cross, not the vertical

It could be a London Regiment battalion with similar insignia, which is why a close up of the badge would help confirm matters.  However, London Regiment rifle styled battalions often had a discrete pattern of black buttons.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Actually, there's definition on all sides but looks like a single line. I'll take a close-up and post

Interesting if it is RB because the one i posted several pages back was RB and from Forest Gate - the photographer on this was Wright & Son of Forest Gate

IMG_20210222_112604.jpg

He appears to be Labour Corps somewhere like Egypt, Mesopotamia, or Macedonia.  The Italian connection implies the latter.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Yes it certainly fits the apparent scenario.  Labour Corps men provided much of the life support administration in headquarters and even field hospitals, doing the general duties work of kitchens, laundries, clerks and officers orderlies, to mention just a few.  As such they were more often than not in rear areas, although sometimes within range of shelling and aircraft bombing. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

16 hours ago, Ipcress said:

What a couple of pages !!! :D 

I think i'm going to put these two fellas with the postcard of the other chap because they seem to make a movie style trio - Tom, Dick and Harry ( the spectacled soldier's card is signed by a Harry ) The other is Essex Regiment but could be Edward VIII's double.

IMG_20210221_151506.jpg

IMG_20210221_152433.jpg

A splendid aquiline face.  I wonder how many pairs of spectacles he went through...

Edited by SHJ

4 hours ago, Ipcress said:

17th London ?

Yes I believe so.

Image courtesy of North East Medals.

CFF06842-2D27-4B57-80FD-EC6C59C48B71.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

22 minutes ago, CorporalPunishment said:

Yes, 17th. Battalion, London Regiment (Poplar and Stepney Rifles).  Pete.

Thanks Pete, always good to get your take. 👍

I fancy the one on the right 🥰

You’ve done a great job in bringing the image alive, Ron. 👍

Edited by FROGSMILE

It was colourized by Frederic Duriez a friend on a German History Facebook page. He has done a cracking job.  (And she's spoken for!)

2 hours ago, Ron da Valli said:

It was colourized by Frederic Duriez a friend on a German History Facebook page. He has done a cracking job.  (And she's spoken for!)

I can’t help wondering what happened to her (and him for that matter).  They look so deliberately into the camera, blissfully unaware, and the poignancy of the scene has a palpable element to it.

Edited by FROGSMILE

I got into postcards when circumstances didn't allow me to collect 'proper' militaria, especially big tickets items, and they were a way of scratching the itch.

The majority of mine are of the QVR, QWR and KRR (as I have jackets to those), along with anything with div signs, battle patches and trade badges.

I'm very glad the itch is scratched, as some of the cards I like (and of the type I have) seem to start at £10 nowadays!

So for starters: some QVRs at camp 1915-ish. Simpifieds on show, and a mix of 08 and 14 ptn equipment. Wristwatch worn. One man is a 'certified' pioneer and, typically, is wearing the badge in the wrong place.

Cheers,

GT.

Axes Crossed QVR.jpg

Thank you. There again the pioneer might have another badge on the correct arm. Two wrist watches. I have never bought into "the working class man could not/ did not/  afford a wrist watch. 

1 hour ago, Muerrisch said:

Thank you. There again the pioneer might have another badge on the correct arm. Two wrist watches. I have never bought into "the working class man could not/ did not/  afford a wrist watch. 

That's interesting re: the badge. I was under impression from a book by some bloke round here that it was one arm only, and should be upper right. Agree re: the watches.

59 minutes ago, Gardenerbill said:

Also not all the rank and file were working class.

Absolutely, but to agree with Grumpy, I've seen it stated more than once that watches were not something for the ORs.

More to the point, I think it shows quite an early use of them.

Cheers,

GT.

1 minute ago, Grovetown said:

That's interesting re: the badge. I was under impression from a book by some bloke round here that it was one arm only, and should be upper right. Agree re: the watches.

Absolutely, but to agree with Grumpy, I've seen it stated more than once that watches were not something for the ORs.

More to the point, I think it shows quite an early use of them.

Cheers,

GT.

I have a folder stuffed full with "anomalies" of badge wearing, you name it, the soldier did it. I blame the tailor or the wifey, the RSM, the Adjt and the C.O. 

One treasure has three lads with hammer and pincers: left arm, right arm, both arms. All bases covered!

5 hours ago, Gardenerbill said:

Also not all the rank and file were working class.

Yes I agree, Bill.  The TF and VB/VF before them had from their inception been more closely aligned with the middle classes and a still popular, hobby-like interest in shooting.  Conversely the Militia had tended to recruit more from the rural and urban working classes, often to earn money when labouring work was fallow, although I think that had changed a little after they became the Special Reserve.  Interestingly I found the TA/TAVR to maintain the TF tradition and recall that those who turned up to be trained at the various infantry schools were very different to their regular equivalents.  They would often have the very latest, expensive waterproof jackets, and lined boots, that the regular support staff (mainly drivers and cooks) could only look at with envy.  Some of my SASC instructor colleagues used to rather unfairly perhaps refer to them as having “all the gear, but no idea”.  During WW1 I think that the London Regiment battalions were an especially good example in case and quite a lot of men came from a background where purchasing a wrist watch was no problem at all. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

6 hours ago, Grovetown said:

I got into postcards when circumstances didn't allow me to collect 'proper' militaria, especially big tickets items, and they were a way of scratching the itch.

The majority of mine are of the QVR, QWR and KRR (as I have jackets to those), along with anything with div signs, battle patches and trade badges.

I'm very glad the itch is scratched, as some of the cards I like (and of the type I have) seem to start at £10 nowadays!

So for starters: some QVRs at camp 1915-ish. Simpifieds on show, and a mix of 08 and 14 ptn equipment. Wristwatch worn. One man is a 'certified' pioneer and, typically, is wearing the badge in the wrong place.

Cheers,

GT.

It is indeed a nice photo GT, thank you for posting it.  It’s interesting to see the mix of waist belts and jackets, two men in the ever popular at camp, ‘shoes canvas’, and the patches of scarlet felt backing behind most of the cap badges.  It stands out that full Corporal has his arms folded in a typically rather awkward fashion so as to show of his stripes.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Another group of QVRs at camp. This one is interesting for the (relatively) mahooosive Fleur de Lys (and efficiency star) being sported by the 1st Class Scout Corporal, the white collared sweater (very similar to my old school issue item), the SD shorts and lots of pairs of private purchase boots (note the speed lacers). Also the chap seated on the right is wearing slippers.

Cheers,

GT.

Fleur de Lys with Bar - Large QVR.jpg