Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

1 hour ago, Toby Brayley said:

I have just rescanned it at 1200DPI, you can certainly see they are colts now! 

Yes, I think so.

Unknown 2nd Lieutenant, Royal Artillery. 

Stokes. J.E. (4).jpg

Stokes. J.E. (5).jpg

His receding hairline and wrinkles below the eyes suggest a man not in the bloom of youth, so given his junior rank probably a wartime Commission.  The collar badges with their scrolls and no T indicate either, a regular or war ‘Service’ unit.  Is the annotation at bottom right in ink with a fair hand a signature, or a stylised photographic studio’s mark?  Is it a man’s name and ‘Weymouth’?

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 hour ago, GROBBY said:

His name looks like Cumming

I think you're right about the name, but it could be the photographer - there was a Weymouth photographer named H Cumming pre- and during WW1 and another, WH Cumming in WW2 (a son, perhaps?)

Clive

8 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Is the annotation at bottom right in ink with a fair hand a signature, or a stylised photographic studio’s mark?  Is it a man’s name and ‘Weymouth’?

Photographer. 

5 hours ago, clivebow said:

I think you're right about the name, but it could be the photographer - there was a Weymouth photographer named H Cumming pre- and during WW1 and another, WH Cumming in WW2 (a son, perhaps?)

Clive

Thanks Clive.  I had assumed H. Cumming to be the photographer rather than the subject. 

On 17/03/2021 at 21:57, GWF1967 said:

Unknown 2nd Lieutenant, Royal Artillery. 

Stokes. J.E. (4).jpg

Stokes. J.E. (5).jpg

They are both identical images with the first one having had the cap added to it. I believe they call it "photoshopping".     Pete.

53 minutes ago, CorporalPunishment said:

They are both identical images with the first one having had the cap added to it. I believe they call it "photoshopping".     Pete.

Although clearly taken at the same time the shots aren't identical - eg you can see more of his right ear in the "hat on" shot as he is looking slightly more straight on to the camera compared to the "hat off" close up:

Comparison WW1 officer face.png

Edited by Andrew Upton

I agree with Andrew, the photo on the right is sharper and if you look at the neck between the collar and chin on the left side they are clearly different.

1 minute ago, CorporalPunishment said:

I stand corrected😐.   Pete.

It was still a good call, generated further discussion and the observation that they were most likely taken at the same sitting. 

Robert Henry Cyril Stokes.  B. 1895.   2/Lt. Special Reserve. R.G.A. 19/2/1917.  - L.G. 2/3/1917. 

The second photograph shows his brother John Everard Stokes. B.1902 who served as an O.T.C. cadet in 1915, and four years as a Lt. in the R.A.M.C. (1927 - 1931).  In 1932 John married Enid Olga Holland Ingham, the daughter of Major Henry Oxley Ingham R.F.A;  pre-war, a timber importer from Kirkstall, Leeds. 

A press report states, " a feature of the wedding was that the beautiful dresses worn by the bride and the bridesmaids were all designed, made, and decorated by disabled ex-soldiers"

Stokes. J.E. (3).jpg

Stokes. J.E. (2).jpg

Edited by GWF1967

Arthur Naylor Croker. Driver. 83385.  32nd Reserve Battery,  Royal Field Artillery. 

Enlisted. 20/1/1915 - France. 5/10/1915. - Discharged. 19/1/1927.

WO's (3).jpg

I hope I am not too off-subject, but perhpas others have had this query.

Do we erase notations on the back of a postcard the seller has made?

eg. the number in his stock.

Kath.

2 hours ago, GROBBY said:

I do as well as price if its on there

If its the modern seller that is

I agree, I am same.

Pte. Harry James Ranson. 67454.  2nd Queen's (Royal West Surrey Regt.). - G/53809. Middlesex Regt. - Attached. 1/19 London Regt. - Italy 5/11/1918.

Ranson.jpg

A collection of cards listed as "Warrant Officers, Staff Sergeants and Conductors".

1. Mixed group. Military Medal, and 1914 Star ribbons on show. Artilleryman with C.D.G?

Two Old Contemptibles front row ,left. Royal Warwickshire Regt. Sgt. with three wound stripes, Marksman badge.   Next to him is a chap whose badge is unclear, he has a set of six overseas service stripes, but only the one medal ribbon. 

2. Another Old Contemptible, pictured with wife and children.  His buttons appear to be Royal Artillery, his shoulder titles are curved, three letters, and appear to end with a "G". 

Any ideas for the badges and/or the ribbon please?

WO's (4).jpg

WO's (5).jpg

The Serg't on the left front row is wearing ribbons of the MM (Military medal) & 1914 (possibility 1914-15) star.

Same with the Serg't standing on right 2nd row.

No idea on the soldier immediately to his right?

The WO1 centre front row appears to be wearing Queen's South Africa medal but due to his braces unable to make any others out, however the last ribbon might be the Army LS medal with 2nd type ribbon. He appears to belong to a Highland (Lowland?) Reg't.

But a mate will be along to ID the cap badges for you. They afe all pretty clear, its a very sharp clear photo.

Edited by RNCVR

The warrant officer with his wife and two children is from the School of Gunnery (shoulder title S_OF_G) at Manorbier in Wales.  

The warrant officer with 6 overseas service chevrons and one medal ribbon is Royal West Kent Regiment.

The building in the background reminds me a little of the Crystal Palace in South London.

Such a mixture of cap badges with an officer and RSM (Cameronian’s) suggests the staff of a training school.  

It must be quite late in the war as there’s one man from the Labour Corps at far left wearing the corps new cap badge of piled pick, rifle and shovel over motto scrolls.

NB.  I don’t see anyone who might be a Conductor.

1091C77B-384A-43F8-A5E7-61583BF76F97.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

Dear All,

Here is one of Australian Imperial Force Lieut. William Frederic Lindsay, 53rd Bn., AIF (1880-1940), on leave in Paris, late 1917.

Taken before promotion to Capt and Coy Cdr. Wounded on 1 Sep 1918 (during the successful attack on Peronne: MC). 

Kindest regards,

Kim.792320550_LieutWFLindsayFrance.jpg.07b592eb6f7e7ce5ce1b45a2bb7597db.jpg

2 hours ago, RNCVR said:

Many thanks. Q.S.A was my guess for that one too. 

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

NB.  I don’t see anyone who might be a Conductor.

1091C77B-384A-43F8-A5E7-61583BF76F97.jpeg

Many thanks as ever for your help.  

More to come from the same collection (still no guarantee that there’ll be a Conductor among them). 

On 29/03/2021 at 17:42, Kath said:

I hope I am not too off-subject, but perhpas others have had this query.

Do we erase notations on the back of a postcard the seller has made?

eg. the number in his stock.

Kath.

On 29/03/2021 at 20:06, GROBBY said:

I do as well as price if its on there

If its the modern seller that is

On 29/03/2021 at 22:18, RNCVR said:

I agree, I am same.

I do occasionally, if the vendor has pencilled on something like "WINDMILL HILL CAMP PMK" when that is already obvious, or has made an incorrect assumption (as do some eBay sellers). I tend to leave prices on.  Around the 1970s there was a London dealer who annoyingly rubber-stamped the back of his cards, giving his address and offering a 50% discount on further purchases if the card was returned. Though I suppose that this in itself might make the card interesting to collectors who are interested in publishers, rather like inked annotations on the images can enhance a card's appeal; I have one card of the Packway in Lark Hill c1916 with inked arrows identifying particular buildings.

17 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Many thanks. Q.S.A was my guess for that one too. 

Many thanks as ever for your help.  

More to come from the same collection (still no guarantee that there’ll be a Conductor among them). 

Always pleased to see your photos and help where I can. Researching through my notes last night I found that Sub Conductors AOC were ordered to wear the large crown on lower sleeve in July 1904.  Given that your WO at the SofG Manorbier has no gun badge, it seems possible that he might be a Sub Conductor, perhaps that’s where the “Conductor” association with the collection comes from.  Unfortunately there’s no other insignia visible to corroborate that rank.  His superior, the full Conductor, was at that time wearing the large crown within laurel wreath.

Edited by FROGSMILE