Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

• Admin

Second photo is a pioneer of the Leicestershire Regiment. 

Just now, Michelle Young said:

Thanks

• Admin

Is the young lady wearing a RFC sweetheart brooch? 

16 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Good spot Michelle, what a great photo of a young couple, or perhaps brother and sister - there seems to be a facial resemblance.  I can’t make out the detail of the young ladies sweetheart brooch, though this one is a similar shape but with a Victorian crown.

18 minutes ago, TomWW1 said:

Here are some more unknown ones that I have @FROGSMILE

IMG_3696.jpeg

IMG_3697.jpeg

The first photo appears to be an Army Service Corps (ASC) private, Tom.

IMG_3859.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

28 minutes ago, TomWW1 said:

Thanks

The Leicesters formed just one Divisional Pioneer battalion, Tom.  It was the 11th (Service**) Battalion (Midland Pioneers) formed in the city of Leicester in October 1915.

** one of those raised by Lord Kitchener.

You had previously shown this other man so perhaps there is a connection (?): 

Edited by FROGSMILE

4 hours ago, TomWW1 said:

Here are some more unknown ones that I have @FROGSMILE

IMG_3696.jpeg

He's a naughty boy - the photo is so clear you can see his rifle is still cocked! :lol:

8 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

The Leicesters formed just one Divisional Pioneer battalion, Tom.  It was the 11th (Service**) Battalion (Midland Pioneers) formed in the city of Leicester in October 1915.

** one of those raised by Lord Kitchener.

You had previously shown this other man so perhaps there is a connection (?): 

More than likely a connection.

20 minutes ago, TomWW1 said:

Another day, another new ww1 postcard @FROGSMILE and a beautiful one at that!

IMG_3739.jpeg

Good quality image of a Royal Field Artillery gunner, I agree.  He wears a 1916 soft cap and there’s a distinctive medal ribbon visible, but I’m not sure what it is.

You seem to have access to a large collection of postcards, are they all from family?

Edited by FROGSMILE

The ribbon is that of the British War Medal which suggests he might be Army of Occupation. The ribbon begins issue in 1919.

35 minutes ago, mark holden said:

The ribbon is that of the British War Medal

It is indeed, the photograph taken on a variant of orthochromatic film that seems totally insensitive to yellow, thus rendering it black in the final print.

Orthochromatic film was sensitive to greens and blues and much less sensitive to reds. Yellows were variable depending on the film. So yellow could be rendered as a mid-tone if there was reasonable sensitivity, but with this particular image, the yellow sensitivity of the original negative is almost zero.

The following image (courtesy previous posts on GWF) shows BWM & VM ribbons taken on two types of orthochromatic film. The top image renders yellows  very dark and blue very pale. The lower image renders the yellows as  pale as the blue.

Untitled98.jpg.3276dff9406ab156199e34c2c00ca4e5.jpg

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

Good quality image of a Royal Field Artillery gunner, I agree.  He wears a 1916 soft cap and there’s a distinctive medal ribbon visible, but I’m not sure what it is.

You seem to have access to a large collection of postcards, are they all from family?

Yes, all from family I am in contact with a relative on ancestry and we are both related closely to the Fords of Glenfield

1 hour ago, mark holden said:

The ribbon is that of the British War Medal which suggests he might be Army of Occupation. The ribbon begins issue in 1919.

Thank you Mark.

49 minutes ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

It is indeed, the photograph taken on a variant of orthochromatic film that seems totally insensitive to yellow, thus rendering it black in the final print.

Orthochromatic film was sensitive to greens and blues and much less sensitive to reds. Yellows were variable depending on the film. So yellow could be rendered as a mid-tone if there was reasonable sensitivity, but with this particular image, the yellow sensitivity of the original negative is almost zero.

The following image (courtesy previous posts on GWF) shows BWM & VM ribbons taken on two types of orthochromatic film. The top image renders yellows  very dark and blue very pale. The lower image renders the yellows as  pale as the blue.

Untitled98.jpg.3276dff9406ab156199e34c2c00ca4e5.jpg

Thanks Dai, that explains it all very well.

12 minutes ago, TomWW1 said:

Yes, all from family I am in contact with a relative on ancestry and we are both related closely to the Fords of Glenfield

Interesting to have so many family members who served.

4th Battalion The Buffs (Royal East Kent Regiment) Territorial Force Signallers in camp. 

buffs T.F..jpg

Edited by GWF1967

Laurence Silas Broadhurst.    B. Burslem Staffordshire 1897 -  D. 1980 Colwyn Bay.  

Pte. 23305 10th Royal Welsh Fusiliers.   France 27/9/915 - Discharged 7/8/1916.

broadhurst.jpg

16 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Royal Welsh Fusiliers group.

R.W.F. Team (3).jpg

Great pic.  There appears to be a name "L Thomas" next to the left-hand bare-headed soldier.

Always fascinated by photos of RWF men.  I keep hoping to find one showing my Great-Great Uncle, William Pountney, who served in the 9th RWF.  Enlisted on 1 Sep 1914 at the ripe old age of 34 years and 6 months.  Just 4 days later he was assigned to the 9th RWF and served with them until 9 Mar 1917 (with the exception of a period of recovery and recuperation in the UK following a GSW to the chest on 2 Jul 1916).

8 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Laurence Silas Broadhurst.    B. Burslem Staffordshire 1897 -  D. 1980 Colwyn Bay.  

Pte. 23305 10th Royal Welsh Fusiliers.   France 27/9/915 - Discharged 7/8/1916.

broadhurst.jpg

Cracking photo - I’m glad you got this one.  Clearly a lad enlisted underage.

I have a postcard that says Greetings from Lewisham on the front along with a photo of a soldier. Is this of any rarity or relevance?

7 minutes ago, TomWW1 said:

I have a postcard that says Greetings from Lewisham on the front along with a photo of a soldier. Is this of any rarity or relevance?

The headquarters and depot of the ASC mechanical transport branch was at Grove Park nearby, as has been mentioned with various others of your photos, so it ostensibly seems likely that that is the connection.

Officers and NCOs of A Company, 2/4th Battalion, Gloucestershire Regiment at Southend in 1915.

2/Lieutenant Edwin Martin Matthews seated third from left. Posted overseas to B Company, 1/4th Battalion in September 1916.

He was killed by artillery on the 8th November 1916, aged 37, while in front line trenches at Le Sars. Commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial.

GL.0030 - Officers and NCOs of A Coy., 2.4th Battalion. Lieut. Edwin M. Matthews seated third from left..jpg

14 hours ago, gunnerwalker said:

Officers and NCOs of A Company, 2/4th Battalion, Gloucestershire Regiment at Southend in 1915.

2/Lieutenant Edwin Martin Matthews seated third from left. Posted overseas to B Company, 1/4th Battalion in September 1916.

He was killed by artillery on the 8th November 1916, aged 37, while in front line trenches at Le Sars. Commemorated on the Thiepval Memorial.

GL.0030 - Officers and NCOs of A Coy., 2.4th Battalion. Lieut. Edwin M. Matthews seated third from left..jpg

Stunning Photo! It’s sad to think when you see all these photos that all these men are dead and most died not long after the photo was taken 

14 hours ago, gunnerwalker said:

2/Lieutenant Edwin Martin Matthews seated third from left.

Do you mean third from right as we look?

Edited by FROGSMILE

16 hours ago, gunnerwalker said:

I found something interesting relating to this that might be worth sharing.

For context- this article excerpt relates to 'Fromelles' which appeared in the Bristol Evening Post on July 19, 1960. I have taken this small bit out as I am unable to take one of the whole page.
It relates to the 2/4 Battalion, Gloucesters- Lt R.G Scrase (as mentioned in the article) is listed as Killed in Action with the 2/4th Gloucesters on the CWGC. This paper attached says he's in 'A' Company, meaning he might be one of the officers in the postcard.

Alas, I found no picture of Scrase.

image.png.163f0863e1f0ab87b913b6d2115849cd.png