Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

5 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes well spotted.  I think that’s why GWF1967 has drawn the attention of poona guard, who is collecting representative images of TF cloth formation badges.

Oh, I learn something new every day.

Is there any significance as to the stick McHardy's got?

7 minutes ago, tankengine888 said:

Oh, I learn something new every day.

Is there any significance as to the stick McHardy's got?

Yes it’s a regimental pattern swagger cane/stick.  Soldiers were required to carry these when walking out of barracks (usually stipulated In battalion standing orders).  They were sold at heavily subsidised rates, but not issued at public expense, largely to encourage soldiers to see it as something that belonged to them personally and so to be looked after. 

IMG_3439.jpeg

IMG_3440.jpeg

IMG_3441.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 minute ago, FROGSMILE said:

Yes it’s a regimental pattern swagger cane/stick.  Soldiers were required to carry these when walking out of barracks (usually stipulated In battalion standing orders).  They were sold at heavily subsidised rates, but not issued at public expense, largely to encourage soldiers to see it as something that belonged to them personally and so to be looked after. 

When did this practice of a swagger cane/stick out of barracks stop?

Just now, tankengine888 said:

When did this practice of a swagger cane/stick out of barracks stop?

Between the two World Wars.

Just now, FROGSMILE said:

Between the two World Wars.

Okay. Thanks for the information, much appreciated. 

5 minutes ago, tankengine888 said:

Okay. Thanks for the information, much appreciated. 

There were efforts to reduce personal expense, something largely an expectation for officers, but also affecting senior non commissioned officers, and those two groups could hardly complain if soldiers were still required to buy swagger canes.  These pressures led to the abolition.  The principle of individual purchase never went away though and as far as I know contemporary soldiers are often still required to purchase their own stable belts, and tactical recognition flashes too. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

7 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

The detail of the badge on the left lower arm of the seated man is difficult to discern.  I’m guessing it might be a carriage drivers proficiency badge, but not sure.  I’d be interested to know what others think it might be?  Intriguing to see that he’s wearing tartan trews, so almost certainly at home, probably on leave.

good moring,

the badge ine the left arm, it's maybe a badgpipe.

michel

2 hours ago, battle of loos said:

good moring,

michel

I did have the same thoughts and was digging through the forum for information and examples to compare.  

2 hours ago, battle of loos said:

good moring,

michel

Thank you Michel, I see what you mean, the outline shape certainly fits with that.  There appear to have been two variants, but the precise vocabulary details are not listed anywhere that I can find as yet.

IMG_3444.jpeg

IMG_3445.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

3 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Thank you Michel, I see what you mean, the outline shape certainly fits with that.  There appear to have been two variants, but the precise vocabulary details are not listed anywhere that I can find as yet.

IMG_3444.jpeg

A 1200dpi scan shows it to be a piper’s badge indeed - variant No.1 from your post.   Both men wear the 4 bar battalion patch.  A9871CB0-8944-4B21-A347-71CFAAB8D9E9.jpeg.4f7224e54b9ebad3e338c323c11e3e5b.jpeg

Edited by GWF1967

21 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

A 1200dpi scan shows it to be a piper’s badge indeed - variant No.1 from your post.   Both me wear the 4 bar battalion patch.  A9871CB0-8944-4B21-A347-71CFAAB8D9E9.jpeg.4f7224e54b9ebad3e338c323c11e3e5b.jpeg

Indisputable identification.  I wonder if he became renowned as a piper.  I know that some forum members keep a record of such things.  It goes some way to explain his trews as I recall that it wasn’t unusual for pipes and drums to wear trews as working dress with SD jackets when in barracks undress.

Edited by FROGSMILE

As it happens, I think I am probably distantly related to Pte McHardy: he came from Braemar, as did my family’s McHardy connections (I believe we may also share a MacGregor connection too, in fact).

To be fair, the Highlands considerably more than a century ago represents a pretty restricted gene pool, of course, comparatively. So not that surprising I guess; anyway, small world and all that.

edit: but not that small, I should clarify that I have got some genealogical evidence of a connection, not just a coincidence of names!

Edited by Pat Atkins

good morning,

my exemple :

PiperArmBadge(1).JPG.050f152df1ddcdef13d578e9f2207c18.JPGPiperArmBadge(2).JPG.f26bd490ac6cadfe0272c8f454d0ee2b.JPG

michel

Hello there

The 1/7th Gordons wore 4 dark blue bars, up until Feburary  1918, when it changed to 3 dark blue bars, so dating the photo to before that date. Heres a link to an earlier post showing the patch a bit clearer.

William

Border Regiment pals.

27965 Pte. Jack Boardman, seated right. 8th Battalion.

Enlisted on the 1st March 1916. Served in France.

Admitted to No. 11 Casualty Clearing Station at Bailleul in early June 1917 with gunshot wounds to the back.

Discharged on the 30th April 1918 aged 21, awarded Silver Wound Badge.

BOR.0001 - 27965 Pte. Jack Boardman (seated right). 8th Battalion. Enlisted 1st Mar 1916, disch. 30th Apr 1918. Entitled to SWB..jpg

Edited by gunnerwalker

M2/047302 Pte. George Thomas Quibell.

Served in France from the 5th February 1915. Discharged 21st May 1919.

ASC.0008 - M2-047302 Pte. George T. Quibell.jpg

5 minutes ago, gunnerwalker said:

Army Service Corps I think given star badge and leather waist belt from 1903 bandolier equipment.

15 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Army Service Corps I think given star badge and leather waist belt from 1903 bandolier equipment.

Yes indeed, I'd mistakenly not added he was Army Service Corps. 'ASC' shoulder title just about discernible. 

2/6th Manchesters at Wivenhoe Park Camp, near Colchester, spring or summer 1916.

MAN.0001a - 2.6th Manchesters at camp.jpg

MAN.0002a.jpg

8 hours ago, gunnerwalker said:

And M2 service number  prefix indicates Mechanical Transport.

7 hours ago, gunnerwalker said:

2/6th Manchesters at Wivenhoe Park Camp, near Colchester, spring or summer 1916.

MAN.0001a - 2.6th Manchesters at camp.jpg

MAN.0002a.jpg

You can sense how hot that summer was from the gaping shirts in the second photo.  In the first photo three of the men appear to have the jackets made under contract in America that were provided already fitted with plain metal, painted buttons. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

39 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

You can sense how hot that summer was from the gaping shirts in the second photo.  In the first photo three of the men appear to have the jackets made under contract in America that were provided already fitted with plain metal, painted buttons. 

The ground is bone dry too.

In the first photo, the man cross-legged second from right appears not to be wearing standard issue boots. They almost look like low-cut loafers with a buckle but it’s not clear. 

New Zealand Rifle Brigade 1st Battalion 3rd Corps training in New Zealand in 1916

The NZ Rifle Brigade 1st Battalion 3rd Corps training in NZ in 1916. The second on right back row (facing camera) is most likely Herbert Ford as he looks identical to Herbert Ford

IMG_3367.jpeg

14 minutes ago, gunnerwalker said:

The ground is bone dry too.

In the first photo, the man cross-legged second from right appears not to be wearing standard issue boots. They almost look like low-cut loafers with a buckle but it’s not clear. 

Yes those drew my eyes too.  I think they’re either leather Grecian type slippers, or evening dress pumps with flat rectangular bow.

13 minutes ago, TomWW1 said:

New Zealand Rifle Brigade 1st Battalion 3rd Corps training in New Zealand in 1916

The NZ Rifle Brigade 1st Battalion 3rd Corps training in NZ in 1916. The second on right back row (facing camera) is most likely Herbert Ford as he looks identical to Herbert Ford

IMG_3367.jpeg

Tom you’ve posted this previously and not that long ago when posting your portrait of Herbert Ford.