Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

6 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Sam Mader 2. R.W.F.jpg

What's that medal ribbon that fellow is wearing, front row sitting, first left. I wonder whether it's a BWM (depends how late the SWB stayed in Mesop)?

On 15/03/2024 at 00:20, GWF1967 said:

Will Marriot, Surrey Yeomanry. Oct. 3rd, 1914

There is a Henry James Marriott in Surrey Yeomanry in FMP. 

Enlisted 16-9-14 #5776. (or 45382 elsewhere in the document)

I know he has the wrong name...and it does say enlisted aged 24!

George

Edited by George Rayner

7 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Pte. Samuel Maden - 201702 - Royal Welsh Fusiliers.   B. 1889, Newchurch, Lancashire. - Lived Rawtenstall.

His MIC only has the one number, from a block allotted to the 4th R.W.F.  T.F.   His medal roll has him serving with 2nd R.W.F, then 4th Battalion.

The last picture has him standing, rear right, badged to the South Wales Borderers, in "Mesopotamia"

Sam Mader. 3 R.W.F.jpg

Sam Mader. R.W.F.jpg

Sam Mader.4  R.W.F.jpg

Sam Mader 2. R.W.F.jpg

What a great set of photos with the bonus that they’ve been kept together.  The first and last photos appear to be linked as they wear khaki drill tropical uniform in both.  It suggests to me that he transferred between RWF and SWB within the MEF theatre, which intrigued me a little as to what the circumstances were that led to that if he were not wounded.  Thank you for sharing, he has the look of a man who found a niche and sense of purpose in the Army.

ww1 ambulance unit. info on the back. Postcard from my collection. Dated July 22 1918

ww1 ambulance unit.jpg

ww1 ambulance unit. back.jpg

Edited by morrisc8

1 hour ago, George Rayner said:

There is a Henry James Marriott in Surrey Yeomanry in FMP. 

Enlisted 16-9-14 #5776. (or 45382 elsewhere in the document)

I know he has the wrong name...and it does say enlisted aged 24!

George

Perhaps a brother or cousin George.  If one of our brilliant genealogists traces the family it will emerge, but we only have the home town to link them.

3 hours ago, tankengine888 said:

What's that medal ribbon that fellow is wearing, front row sitting, first left. I wonder whether it's a BWM (depends how late the SWB stayed in Mesop)?

I too thought a BWM ribbon.  

2 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

What a great set of photos with the bonus that they’ve been kept together.  The first and last photos appear to be linked as they wear khaki drill tropical uniform in both.  It suggests to me that he transferred between RWF and SWB within the MEF theatre, which intrigued me a little as to what the circumstances were that led to that if he were not wounded.  Thank you for sharing, he has the look of a man who found a niche and sense of purpose in the Army.

I think the other man in photo.1 also appears back left in photo.4.  

5 hours ago, tankengine888 said:

2 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Another +1 on it being the standard BWM as rendered by orthochromatic film:

BWM & V Orthochromatic medal ribbon comparison picture.jpg

2 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

I think the other man in photo.1 also appears back left in photo.4.  

So they remained mates, perhaps in a brigade that contained both SWB and RWF battalions.  Both regiments were served by the Shrewsbury Infantry Records Office, and they probably had the same Infantry Base Depot too. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

4th Northamptonshire Regiment, Territorial Force.

4th Northamptonshire.jpg

NCO's of 494  Mechanical Transport Company,  Army Service Corps.   Chipping Sodbury.

A.S.C. 494 Coy.1jpg.jpg

Edited by GWF1967

38 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

4th Northamptonshire Regiment, Territorial Force.

4th Northamptonshire.jpg

Absolutely love this one.  The regular, permanent staff, Instructor of Musketry seated and holding court at centre, distinguished by his 4-medals.  Note his ‘sword belt staff sergeant with carriage’ marking his status, as well as the extra gold lace at collar and cuffs.  Although a second class ‘staff sergeant’ (meaning employed as HQ staff) his appointment was one of three staff sergeants at that level (if I recall rightly**) privileged to wear the dress distinctions of first class (i.e. the same as QMS).

** the other two the Band Sergeant and Music Major (Drum, Bugle, etc.).

Edited by FROGSMILE

A/Cpl. Frederick Charles Mansfield. M2/099509. Army Service Corps. 

Photo. - K Nichol & Co. 5 Waldemar Road, Wimbledon Park, S.W.

A.S.C. Camp.jpg

Another Day, Another Unknown Postcard from my collection!

IMG_0150_Original.jpeg

Leicesters cap badge, I think - nice photo.

1 minute ago, Pat Atkins said:

Leicesters cap badge, I think - nice photo.

Interesting my nans side of the family come from a little place in Leicestershire called Glenfield and these did come from her house so its probably a relative

I'm afraid I can't see anything else which might give us any clues about his military service, though possibly our experts might do better. The cap looks to be in regimental order, rather than unofficially adapted by the soldier (some would take the reinforcing wire out of the brim to give a floppy look, for example); however, his tunic collar has been modified slightly to look neat, I think.

There seems to be something on his left seeve above his elbow.

19 minutes ago, Robin Garrett said:

There seems to be something on his left seeve above his elbow.

A flaw on the photo, rather like the dark blob floating in the air right of it.

On 18/02/2024 at 14:29, FROGSMILE said:

Haven’t you already posted this photo previously Tom?  If I recall correctly you were told it was a driver ASC and that the backdrop suggested that it was an ASC Transport Park with the typical lines of vehicles visible in the background.

Sorry to be late to the party on this one.
Yes I agree that it is an ASC Transport Park.
Seeing as the card is postmarked  " Catford S.E.", I would suggest that this is part of the  Grove Park empire.
Not Grove Park itself, which was quite a built up area, but an associated lorry park no doubt.

Edit:

With regard to the sender's identity, I would suggest he is a William Morris, not Gadney or Wells, probably of Oxford.
He is writing to his sister, a Mrs. W. Darnell, at 30 Buckingham Street, Grandpont, Oxford.
In the 1911 Census, there is a Mr. W. Darnell (A Gramaphonic agent) living at No.32, presumably next door.
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/2352/images/rg14_08145_0207_03?ssrc=&backlabel=Return&pId=51790725

It seems that a William G. Darnell married a Miss Ellen L.J. Morris in Oxford in the December 1914 Quarter.

Marriages Dec 1914   (>99%)

DARNELL William G Morris Oxford 3a 2302  

Morris Ellen L J Darnell Oxford 3a 2302  

So, I suggest the writer 'Will' is writing to his "Dear Sister", who is Mrs. W. Darnell.
I thought I had found their family in 1911, there is a local Ellen L. Morris with a brother  called William.
Unfortunately he was only 6.
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/51776439:2352?tid=&pid=&queryId=11f01ed4-d4f5-4b40-94fd-79875792202a&_phsrc=bDw1931&_phstart=successSource

Edited by Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

15 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Seeing as the card is postmarked  " Catford S.E." I would suggest that this is part of the  Grove Park empire.
Not Grove Park itself, which was quite a built up area, but an associated lorry park no doubt.

I think that’s very likely Dai, I recall visiting Grove Park and Sydenham with my parents.  The main ASC building there was the red brick Greenwich Workhouse (later hospital) built not all that long before the outbreak of WW1 if I remember rightly.  See (incl some interesting links at bottom of the page there): http://lewishamfww.wikidot.com/grove-park-in-the-first-world-war

I’m curious as to what local park would have been large enough to take all the vehicles shown in the photo.  Woolwich and Eltham common seems a possibility.  It became a massive military encampment and parking area during WW1 flanked as it was by the RMA, RA Barracks complex and the Royal Herbert Hospital.

Plumstead common seems another possibility.

IMG_3427.jpeg

IMG_3428.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

14 hours ago, Dai Bach y Sowldiwr said:

Seeing as the card is postmarked  " Catford S.E.", I would suggest that this is part of the  Grove Park empire.

Edit:

With regard to the sender's identity, I would suggest he is a William Morris, not Gadney or Wells, probably of Oxford.
He is writing to his sister, a Mrs. W. Darnell, at 30 Buckingham Street, Grandpont, Oxford.
In the 1911 Census, there is a Mr. W. Darnell (A Gramaphonic agent) living at No.32, presumably next door.
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/2352/images/rg14_08145_0207_03?ssrc=&backlabel=Return&pId=51790725

It seems that a William G. Darnell married a Miss Ellen L.J. Morris in Oxford in the December 1914 Quarter.

Marriages Dec 1914   (>99%)

DARNELL William G Morris Oxford 3a 2302  

Morris Ellen L J Darnell Oxford 3a 2302  

So, I suggest the writer 'Will' is writing to his "Dear Sister", who is Mrs. W. Darnell.
I thought I had found their family in 1911, there is a local Ellen L. Morris with a brother  called William.
Unfortunately he was only 6.
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discoveryui-content/view/51776439:2352?tid=&pid=&queryId=11f01ed4-d4f5-4b40-94fd-79875792202a&_phsrc=bDw1931&_phstart=successSource

Hello Dai, thank you for your research into this matter please can we continue this over messaging?

Pte. John Kinnear McHardy.  2189 - 290067.  1/7th Gordon Highlanders (Territorial Force) Transport. British Expeditionary Force, France.

@poona guard 

John Kinnear McHardy.jpg

44 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Pte. John Kinnear McHardy.  2189 - 290067.  1/7th Gordon Highlanders (Territorial Force) Transport. British Expeditionary Force, France.

@poona guard 

John Kinnear McHardy.jpg

The detail of the badge on the left lower arm of the seated man is difficult to discern.  I’m guessing it might be a carriage drivers proficiency badge, but not sure.  I’d be interested to know what others think it might be?  Intriguing to see that he’s wearing tartan trews, so almost certainly at home, probably on leave.

Edited by FROGSMILE

John McHardy disembarked in France in May 1915 for service with the Gordon Highlanders as 2189 Private McHardy

Wounded September 4th, 1916. Presumably renumbered 290067 during this time.
Awarded his Long Service Medal in May 1922 whilst with the 7th Battalion, Gordon Highlanders. 
Appears he died 1977

I assume then that he's the fellow on the right, who wears a wound stripe and good conduct stripe?

I spot a battalion patch? 4 stripes horizontal?

Edited by tankengine888

3 minutes ago, tankengine888 said:

I spot a battalion patch? 4 stripes horizontal?

Yes well spotted.  I think that’s why GWF1967 has drawn the attention of poona guard, who is collecting representative images of TF cloth formation badges.

Edited by FROGSMILE