Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

It mentions only Liverpool in the blurb but Birmingham was heavily affected too.  The Royal Munster Fusiliers amongst those sent there.

Did you copy and paste Tom's postcard for the 5th image down, or did you find it online?

The Boys From Mesopotamia.  Royal Field Artillery.

The man with his cap on sideways wears T - R.F.A. - Herts. shoulder titles. 

T - RFA - Herts 1.jpg

T - RFA - Herts.jpg

27 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Did you copy and paste Tom's postcard for the 5th image down, or did you find it online?

I found it online, there were several slight variations of the same scene so I suspect that it was from a photographic bureau like Reuters used by the press. 

On 13/03/2024 at 12:10, GWF1967 said:

The Boys From Mesopotamia.  Royal Field Artillery.

The man with his cap on sideways wears T - R.F.A. - Herts. shoulder titles. 

T - RFA - Herts 1.jpg

T - RFA - Herts.jpg

I’m particularly interested in this scene because of the large number of field service caps present.  I believe that at the time they were only issued on the home establishment to the Royal Flying Corps (since 1912) for whom they were seen as ideal on airfields, and in and around hangars, because they could be easily taken off and stowed away when aircraft were taking off and landing.  However, they continued to be issued to other troops supplied from the Indian Establishment, which I suspect is probably the case here for men in Mesopotamia.  Such photos of gunners with that headgear, at that particular time, are I think relatively rare.  The caps came back onto widespread, general issue again in 1937.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Driver, David Bradley. W/T4/123001,  E. Section, 31st Reserve Park, Army Service Corps, Myddleton Park Camp, Denbigh, North Wales.  

Later G/22295.  5th (Service) Battalion Royal West Kent Regiment.

David Bradley.jpg

Arthur John Rochester. Bedfordshire Regiment. - January 1919.

Arthur John Rochester.jpg

Wiltshire Regiment bomber. 

Wilts Bomber.jpg

29 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Wiltshire Regiment bomber. 

Wilts Bomber.jpg

Super photo with a good view of the early issue simplified emergency jacket, a regimental swagger stick/cane and he’s wrapped his puttees in a way popular to form the shin better and modified from bandaging techniques taught during first aid lessons.

Edited by FROGSMILE

On 27/12/2023 at 22:18, gunnerwalker said:

@poona guard I have another recent find which might be of interest to you. 7th Canadian Infantry (1st British Colombia) Battalion. 

CAN.0001-7thCanadianInfantry(1stBritishColombia).Bristolphotographer.jpg.f3feed400324dbdaf09ae0dba0ead5c8.jpg

Posted the above a few months ago, and recently came across another postcard in a shop - same man, same photo studio, shot in a different presentation.

CAN.0002-7thCanadianInfantry(1stBritishColombia).DolphinStudiosBristol..jpg.0e75d160449dd3a833cc3b9b5e14225d.jpg

4 minutes ago, gunnerwalker said:

Posted the above a few months ago, and recently came across another postcard in a shop - same man, same photo studio, shot in a different presentation.

CAN.0002-7thCanadianInfantry(1stBritishColombia).DolphinStudiosBristol..jpg.0e75d160449dd3a833cc3b9b5e14225d.jpg

Great find, it’s always good to reunite split collections.  

"Frank"

9th (County of London) Battalion (Queen Victoria's Rifles)  Physical & Bayonet Training Instructor Corporal. 

Rifles. P.T. Instructor.jpg

Edited by GWF1967

5 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

"Frank"

9th (County of London) Battalion (Queen Victoria's Rifles)  Physical Training Instructor Corporal. 

Rifles. P.T. Instructor.jpg

By the end of the war the infantry appointment had become 'physical & bayonet training' (re-named from gymnastics and fencing).

17 minutes ago, Muerrisch said:

By the end of the war the infantry appointment had become 'physical & bayonet training' (re-named from gymnastics and fencing).

Many thanks

"Yours sincerely, Trep."

Sapper Alfred William Treppass, Southern Army Troops Signal Coy. Royal Engineers.  Territorial Force. 

"The friends thou hast and their adoption tried, grapple them to thy heart with ropes of steel."

Royal Engineer. Named.jpg

Royal Engineers dressed for Mediterranean service.

The young Lieutenant appears to wear a Military Cross ribbon, the Corporal, seated second from the right has a Military Medal ribbon on show.

Royal Engineers. Tropical Service.jpg

Private, Manchester Regiment. 

Manchester.jpg

"Will Marriot, Surrey Yeomanry. Oct. 3rd, 1914. - Worth, Near Sandwich"

Surrey Yeomanry.jpg

Edited by GWF1967

10 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

"Will Marriot, Surrey Yeomanry. Oct. 3rd, 1914. - Worth, Near Sandwich"

Surrey Yeomanry.jpg

He still has a boy’s gangling frame and looks like he needs a good meal.  I wonder if he survived.  I have an ominous feeling that he probably didn’t but hope to be wrong.

Edited by FROGSMILE

3 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

He still has a boy’s gangling frame and looks like he needs a good meal.  I wonder if he survived.  I have an ominous feeling that he probably didn’t but hope to be wrong.

This piqued my curiosity, A and B squadron served in Salonika, my area of interest. A quick search on CWGC revealed no matches. Sadly no mentions in the Surrey Yeomanry History either.

17 hours ago, Gardenerbill said:

This piqued my curiosity, A and B squadron served in Salonika, my area of interest. A quick search on CWGC revealed no matches. Sadly no mentions in the Surrey Yeomanry History either.

I imagine that he was perhaps too young to embark in that photo and was maybe conscripted to a different unit later.  Scrutinising his physique in the photo I don’t think that he would have had the physical resilience at that stage to get through basic training.  

Edited by FROGSMILE

There are a couple MICs for William and W Marriot none Surrey Yeomanry but as you say could have been conscripted into an infantry battalion later.

3 hours ago, Gardenerbill said:

There are a couple MICs for William and W Marriot none Surrey Yeomanry but as you say could have been conscripted into an infantry battalion later.

What regiments, did you see?

RFA, RAMC, Notts & Derby, Northants, Royal Scots, RE and Liverpool. 

44 minutes ago, Gardenerbill said:

RFA, RAMC, Notts & Derby, Northants, Royal Scots, RE and Liverpool. 

Could be any really, we’d need to know their home towns to cross refer of course. 

Pte. Samuel Maden - 201702 - Royal Welsh Fusiliers.   B. 1889, Newchurch, Lancashire. - Lived Rawtenstall.

His MIC only has the one number, from a block allotted to the 4th R.W.F.  T.F.   His medal roll has him serving with 2nd R.W.F, then 4th Battalion.

The last picture has him standing, rear right, badged to the South Wales Borderers, in "Mesopotamia"

Sam Mader. 3 R.W.F.jpg

Sam Mader. R.W.F.jpg

Sam Mader.4  R.W.F.jpg

Sam Mader 2. R.W.F.jpg