Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

10 hours ago, Bob Davies said:

Happy to help, it certainly is a very interesting picture and has provoked much scratching of my head :D

I am quite certain that the horse in question belongs to the French Soldier at his head.

The British Soldiers are approaching from a different angle, if they have horses with them their comrades will be minding them, off shot somewhere.

From reading many War Diaries there is always someone designated/appointed to look after the horses when dismounted by their riders.

Now down the curved sword/sabre rabbit hole :D

There are two pictures on the net I have found so far picturing yeomanry soldiers posing on their mounts, probably at depots, wearing curved scabbarded swords,

which are most probably pattern 1885.

Screenshot courtesy of Bygone Blades.

image.png.981116ba795df3815a92e24098327fb9.png

Screenshot courtesy of https://littlegaddesdenchurch.org.uk/war-remembrance/ernest-janes/

This picture must have been taken between November 1915 and June 1917 from the dates given in the above link.

image.png.4ff6000b766338db5568c78d21804b79.png

Screenshot courtesy of https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Northumberland_Hussars_corporal_on_horseback.jpg

image.png.fdff5b794433c3e55694a668d8476b62.png

Now down the French sword/sabre route.

There is a web site I found called SBG Sword buyers guide, it has examples of French swords/sabres on it.

I did realise that Rasters OP was of French artillery Soldiers, they possibly use different side arms to their cavalry compatriots?

In the first link it would seem in my mind, I am not a sword expert, that the French went down the same route as the British (pattern 1908 sword) and ended up with an almost perfect cavalry sword just as its' day was almost gone. A straight thrusting point.

https://sbg-sword-forum.forums.net/thread/62525/french-cavalry-sword-model-troopers

The second link is from the same site, a post about light cavalry/artillery sabres.

As I said earlier, I am no expert in this field, it maybe needs a follow up post in 'weapons'.

https://sbg-sword-forum.forums.net/thread/46663/french-m1822-light-cavalry-artillery

That’s correct Bob.  As I understand it there were three types of sword used by the British Army mounted duties soldiers, two in action and one for ceremonial only.  The regular cavalry had the 1908 sword and the Yeomanry, ASC, and artillery the 1885.  The third type was the Household Cavalry type still in use for ceremonial.  I think that’s broadly the case, but I might not have covered all the detail.

I think you’re right that what evidence we can see suggests that subject photo shows a French artillery mount. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

Interesting card spotted on eBay. Not in an area for my own collection, but thought I would share.

1914 cart with water tank FR.jpg

Another that caught my eye (but not my wallet). Some LINCS cap badges.

1914-1918 Aeroplane at Briton's Camp & LINCS FRcrr.jpg

Edited by aodhdubh

• Admin
Posted (edited)
22 hours ago, aodhdubh said:

Another that caught my eye (but not my wallet). Some LINCS cap badges.

1914-1918 Aeroplane at Briton's Camp & LINCS FRcrr.jpg

I believe that this picture is of The 138th (Lincoln and Leicester) Brigade/46th North Midland Division, prior to their leaving for France, end of Feb 1915.

My Grandad had a copy of this, he used to point at it with his big workmans finger and say 'there I am!'

Granny would say 'That ain't you Jack.'

Grandad Jack would then get up and announce 'I'm off down the yard.'

He would straighten up and walk out, his eyes filling with tears saying 'Come on Robbie.'

Off we marched to his workshop, where is mood would soon change and he would chat about making something.

I don't know if he is on the picture but he was quite possibly there.

Screenshot from your picture. 1/5th or 1/4th Leicesters cap badge, there are a few on the picture.

image.png.afe6054742253b11699b5035a5b6198a.png

The Long Long Trail http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/order-of-battle-of-divisions/46th-north-midland-division/

Edited by Bob Davies
to add a bit

2 hours ago, Bob Davies said:

I believe that this picture is of The 138th (Lincoln and Leicester) Brigade/46th North Midland Division, prior to their leaving for France, end of Feb 1915.

My Grandad had a copy of this, he used to point at it with his big workmans finger and say 'there I am!'

Granny would say 'That ain't you Jack.'

Grandad Jack would then get up and announce 'I'm off down the yard.'

He would straighten up and walk out, his eyes filling with tears saying 'Come on Robbie.'

Off we marched to his workshop, where is mood would soon change and he would chat about making something.

I don't know if he is on the picture but he was quite possibly there.

Screenshot from your picture. 1/5th or 1/4th Leicesters cap badge, there are a few on the picture.

image.png.afe6054742253b11699b5035a5b6198a.png

The Long Long Trail http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/order-of-battle-of-divisions/46th-north-midland-division/

That is fascinating. Thank you for sharing. I have three photographs of the assembled 46th Regiment of Foot during the period my grandfather's grandfather served in it and similarly stare at them wondering which fave belongs to my forebear. That photograph was on ebay a week or two ago, if you want it, and it has not sold. I did not save the page link, though.

Edited by aodhdubh

Mentions a man being called up? Thought it might be of interest to you guys 

IMG_3171.jpeg

3 hours ago, TomWW1 said:

Mentions a man being called up? Thought it might be of interest to you guys 

IMG_3171.jpeg

Very nice Tom.

(I think) the British had widespread conscription in the First and Second war, hence the 'call up'. A rather nice piece.

Zidane.

On 26/01/2024 at 23:50, GWF1967 said:

Physical training.  Photograph  -  H. Stephenson. Otley.  

Army Gymnastics.jpg

Otley photographer, but not likely taken in/around the town. Summer - but not recognisable as summer camp of Northumberland Hussars who used the area. Possibly local RFA at mobilisation, but by the time he'd taken that many, Summer was gone and they'd moved away. Possibly Doncaster.

Stephenson numbering only consistent within series; many duplicate numbers with totally different images

• Admin
18 hours ago, aodhdubh said:

That is fascinating. Thank you for sharing. I have three photographs of the assembled 46th Regiment of Foot during the period my grandfather's grandfather served in it and similarly stare at them wondering which fave belongs to my forebear. That photograph was on ebay a week or two ago, if you want it, and it has not sold. I did not save the page link, though.

Thank you for posting the pictures aodhdubh,

I have to correct what I said earlier.

The The 138th (Lincoln and Leicester) Brigade/46th North Midland Division did leave for France in February 1915.

However there are leaves on the trees in the picture which puts it at any date between end of April to say October 1915. This would confirm that my Grandfather was there as he did not arrive in France until 28th October 1915.

I therefore presume that these men must be reinforcement for The 138th (Lincoln and Leicester) Brigade.

There is a web site here,http://www.hertfordshire-genealogy.co.uk/data/occupations/military/military-ww1-st-albans-britons-camp.htm that has a few more pictures of 'Britons Camp'. It is unknown exactly where it was but possibly just North of St Albans.

Sandridge is mentioned, it is in the top right of this map courtesy of The National Library Scotland.Link to the map,

https://maps.nls.uk/view/101579598

image.png.d2427bd9ab3d0319d90741c690466f7f.png

On 09/03/2024 at 21:39, Bob Davies said:

Thank you for posting the pictures aodhdubh,

I have to correct what I said earlier.

The The 138th (Lincoln and Leicester) Brigade/46th North Midland Division did leave for France in February 1915.

However there are leaves on the trees in the picture which puts it at any date between end of April to say October 1915. This would confirm that my Grandfather was there as he did not arrive in France until 28th October 1915.

I therefore presume that these men must be reinforcement for The 138th (Lincoln and Leicester) Brigade.

There is a web site here,http://www.hertfordshire-genealogy.co.uk/data/occupations/military/military-ww1-st-albans-britons-camp.htm that has a few more pictures of 'Britons Camp'. It is unknown exactly where it was but possibly just North of St Albans.

Sandridge is mentioned, it is in the top right of this map courtesy of The National Library Scotland.Link to the map,

https://maps.nls.uk/view/101579598

image.png.d2427bd9ab3d0319d90741c690466f7f.png

Thank you. I have found NLS freely-accessible maps a useful resource. I don't suppose the presence of the aeroplane may indicate an RFC usage of the area that might be associated with the known location of an airfield?

• Admin
3 hours ago, aodhdubh said:

Thank you. I have found NLS freely-accessible maps a useful resource. I don't suppose the presence of the aeroplane may indicate an RFC usage of the area that might be associated with the known location of an airfield?

That is a very valid point you make there. :thumbsup:

I will have a look, thank you.

On 09/03/2024 at 15:23, Simon R said:

Otley photographer, but not likely taken in/around the town. Summer - but not recognisable as summer camp of Northumberland Hussars who used the area. Possibly local RFA at mobilisation, but by the time he'd taken that many, Summer was gone and they'd moved away. Possibly Doncaster.

Stephenson numbering only consistent within series; many duplicate numbers with totally different images

Many thanks.  

• Admin
On 11/03/2024 at 14:18, aodhdubh said:

Thanks to you pointing out the obvious which I did not see :D

Edit here12/3/24. It seems that Shenlybury was also known as London Colney and was not started until 1916.

Ergo, if my Grandad was there in 1915 it seems doubtful that the aeroplane came from this landing strip? End of Edit.

Shenlybury airfield is quite close. Roughly SE of St Albans.

https://shenleyww1.wordpress.com/royal-flying-corps-at-shenley/

Screenshot courtesy of National Library Scotland. https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15.7&lat=51.70554&lon=-0.29880&layers=6&b=1&o=100

It is a large map so you can scan out to see its proximity to St Albans where Britons Camp is supposed to be located. Exact location still unknown to me.

image.png.a4461a2644cb1c17b12640dda333eb79.png

Edited by Bob Davies
to add an edit

On 09/03/2024 at 12:37, tankengine888 said:

Very nice Tom.

(I think) the British had widespread conscription in the First and Second war, hence the 'call up'. A rather nice piece.

Zidane.

Thank You

Can anyone identify the uniform for me?

IMG_3219.jpeg

17 minutes ago, TomWW1 said:

IMG_3219.jpeg

A nice clear crop showing the collar badges would help, if possible. 

4 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

A nice clear crop showing the collar badges would help, if possible. 

I have inherited a lot of WW1 Postcards from my grandmother and this is another one I think it has something to do with railways but that’s it

IMG_3220.jpeg

• Admin

12 minutes ago, TomWW1 said:

I have inherited a lot of WW1 Postcards from my grandmother and this is another one I think it has something to do with railways but that’s it

The 1911 date places it outside the scope of the GWF.

Nevertheless it is an interesting piece of social history so I have not hidden it but please can we stay on topic.

4 minutes ago, kenf48 said:

Nevertheless it is an interesting piece of social history so I have not hidden it but please can we stay on topic.

Sorry

51 minutes ago, TomWW1 said:

IMG_3219.jpeg

I think I can just about see a multi tier shoulder title that would indicate a member of the Territorials.  The collar badge suggests post WW1 but it needs a closer view to have any chance of identification.

49 minutes ago, TomWW1 said:

IMG_3220.jpeg

Although just pre war this photo is quite interesting because it illustrates the British Army policy of the time when called out by the British government in support of the civil powers (in this case police).  When on such duties the soldiers were ordered to wear their full dress home service helmets with khaki service dress.  The appearance this produced was quite incongruous.  The troops were called out in that way during several strikes called by trades unions between the turn of the century and WW2.  See:

“The 1911 Liverpool general transport strike, also known as the great transport workers' strike, involved dockers, railway workers, sailors and other tradesmen. The strike paralysed Liverpool commerce for most of the summer of 1911. It also transformed trade unionism on Merseyside. For the first time, general trade unions were able to establish themselves on a permanent footing and become genuine mass organisations of the working class.“

IMG_3143.jpeg

IMG_3145.jpeg

IMG_3144.jpeg

IMG_3150.jpeg

IMG_3149.jpeg

IMG_3147.jpeg

IMG_3146.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

38 minutes ago, kenf48 said:

Noting that the forum has, very sensibly, accepted that 1914 to 1919 is too narrow. I believe that 1911 should pass without comment.

The Great War cannot be divorced from its precursors and its successors.

As an example, the Boer War, and lessons learned, is certainly germane.

The Forum abounds with material even 15 years removed from the Great War, and quite rightly.

1 hour ago, TomWW1 said:

IMG_3220.jpeg

Stockingford signal box, Warwickshire. On the Birmingham to Leicester line.  

39 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Stockingford signal box, Warwickshire. On the Birmingham to Leicester line.  

It mentions only Liverpool in the blurb but Birmingham was heavily affected too.  The Royal Munster Fusiliers amongst those sent there.