Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

13 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Is that ironic humour?  I wonder if ‘The Royal Oak’ still stands today. 

It does indeed, at 80 Broad Street. Still under the same name too. It’s only a few miles from me.

59 minutes ago, gunnerwalker said:

It does indeed, at 80 Broad Street. Still under the same name too. It’s only a few miles from me.

So it is!  Next time you’re there for a pint, drink a toast to the ASC Boys of ‘The Pride of Sodbury’.

IMG_2752.jpeg

IMG_2753.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

9 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

So it is!  Next time you’re there for a pint, drink a toast to the ASC Boys of ‘The Pride of Sodbury’.

IMG_2752.jpeg

IMG_2753.jpeg

There are a few photos about of the 494th M.T. Coy in Chipping Sodbury of which several pubs along that street appear in the background and are still there today.

T - R.F.A. London.  Photograph by  S. Alder, Liverpool. 

T. R.F.A. London ..jpg

Gnr. Robert Allen Watson.  206865.   "Detail, 2nd "B". Base Depot, Mesopotamia, E.E.F"

Robert Allen Watson R.F.A..jpg

35 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

T - R.F.A. London.  Photograph by  S. Alder, Liverpool. 

T. R.F.A. London ..jpg

Quite unusual at that stage to see a gunner seated centrally wearing the ORs field service cap in dark blue and red.  You can just about make out the universal grenade being worn as cap insignia.

IMG_2764.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

3 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Gnr. Robert Allen Watson.  206865.   "Detail, 2nd "B". Base Depot, Mesopotamia, E.E.F"

Robert Allen Watson R.F.A..jpg

It doesn’t seem the natural place to part his hair and gives him a rather odd look.  I wonder if it was all the fashion, it almost looks like a bullet has cleared a path across the top of his head.

Not that uncommon a parting - I've noticed something similar in other photos of the early 20th century, including those of film stars. His hairline is receding on the right side of his head,  so he's moved his parting to cover it up. 

5 minutes ago, Moonraker said:

Not that uncommon a parting - I've noticed something similar in other photos of the early 20th century, including those of film stars. His hairline is receding on the right side of his head,  so he's moved his parting to cover it up. 

Yes I realised that it was a period fashion. Just looks odd to modern eyes.

3 hours ago, poona guard said:

When were the T/RFA/London around the Liverpool area?

The photographer was based in Liverpool, he may have travelled some distance to a camp.

Card sent by - Air Mechanic I.   Frederick Thomas Doe. 221437 R.A.F.   Enlisted - R.N.A.S.  30/9/1916.

147 Cherry Hinton Rd. Cambridge.   Nov. 6th 1918.

"Dear Frank,  This is the long range gun (Big Bertha) that was shelling Paris some time back. Also of the German Crew. The photograph was found on the crew. Don't work too hard. War will soon be over." 

Big Bertha.jpg

Sgt. Walter Reaney Hutchinson. 10029. Machine Gun Corps.

Formerly Sgt. 21813.  Cheshire Regiment.     Rank stripes on overcoat - one for @Muerrisch

Walter R. Hutchinson M.G.C..jpg

Edited by GWF1967

Thank you. They look to be the large version to my prejudiced eye.

He is a trifle noncomformist round the neck.

Edited by Muerrisch

30 minutes ago, Muerrisch said:

Thank you. They look to be the large version to my prejudiced eye.

He is a trifle noncomformist round the neck.

Yes I think you’re right, the angle of view makes it apparent that they’re wider even though the differential was small as you pointed out.  It’s the first time I’ve seen such a clear view of the full spread as it were.

Unfortunately I can’t quite make out what the emblem is on his red hospital blue uniform necktie.  He seems to have a red (?) carnation on the near side collar of his greatcoat.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Just now, Gardenerbill said:

Could it be an SWB?

Yes it’s certainly the right shape and size isn’t it.  I didn’t think they were applied for until after discharge.

16 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

The photographer was based in Liverpool, he may have travelled some distance to a camp.

All the way to the southeast?

5 hours ago, Gardenerbill said:

Could it be an SWB?

My thought as well.  I’ll have a look with a loupe later. 

8 minutes ago, poona guard said:

All the way to the southeast?

Perhaps not as far as London, but I have other cards where photographers seem to have traveled quite some distance to camps on Salisbury Plain. 

W.N. Evans. 26th January 1917.  Royal Welsh Fusiliers. 

Stuart.  - Photographer.  47-49 Brompton Rd. & 159 High Rd. Balham.

"Old Bill" - R.W.F. 

Family group. Both brothers wear R.W.F. shoulder titles.

W.N. Evans.jpg

Old Bill.jpg

Family Group.jpg

Draft - 3rd Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers. 

Lt. Colonel -  Howell Richard Jones-Williams.    Captain & Adjutant Codrington Howard Rees Crawshay.   & Y.M.C.A Staff.

Postcard sent 30/4/1915 to - Mrs. Lilian Gregson-Ellis, Ystrad Isaf, Denbigh.  

" The Barracks, Wrexham. 30. IV. 15.  

Yes Please. It would be most useful if you would send the pants. I have none at all to send. 

C. Crawshay.   Capt. Ajt. 3 RWF"

Ystrad Isaf was a Red Cross Hospital, Lilian Gregson-Ellis was Commandant between February and December 1915.

R.W.F.3rd.jpg

Super photos, thank you for sharing them.  The portraits show well turned soldiers out as I would expect given their cap badge (and a pretty sister to boot).  

9 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

Super photos, thank you for sharing them.  The portraits show well turned soldiers out as I would expect given their cap badge (and a pretty sister to boot).  

9 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

I recall (away from my sources at the moment)  that 'Jones-Billy' was famous for his send-offs for the drafts from 3RWF.

"May God go with you .......I will go with you as far as the station"

Apochryphal but a good tale.

RWF were offered to become the Welsh Guards and turned it down.

The Prince of Wales was pleased

31 minutes ago, Muerrisch said:

I recall (away from my sources at the moment)  that 'Jones-Billy' was famous for his send-offs for the drafts from 3RWF.

"May God go with you .......I will go with you as far as the station"

Apochryphal but a good tale.

RWF were offered to become the Welsh Guards and turned it down.

The Prince of Wales was pleased

It’s interesting that the draft appear to have been given two footballs to take with them.  RWF was more a football battalion than rugby back then.

Like you I recall reading about the matter appertaining to Welsh Guards, but to my great frustration I can no longer find it or remember where it was sourced from.

Don't those two anecdotes get a mention in Goodbye To All That? Only say this because they both rang a bell. I did wonder about Old Soldiers Never Die but If it had been via Frank Richards' book(s), one - or both - of you would have known, of course.