Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

Royal Field Artillery Driver - 66th Brigade. 

Hut 21, 30 Men, "The Nibs"

Royal Artillery..1..jpg

Cpl and Drivers, Royal Field Artillery.

Royal Artillery..2..jpg

• 9 minutes ago, GWF1967 said:

Royal Artillery..2..jpg

Small point really-

I notice the man standing on the right has a thin cord on his shoulder, whilst the other have 'braided' type ones? Would anyone happen to know why?

Smashing photos ofcourse.

Zidane.

17 minutes ago, tankengine888 said:
  •  

Small point really-

I notice the man standing on the right has a thin cord on his shoulder, whilst the other have 'braided' type ones? Would anyone happen to know why?

Smashing photos ofcourse.

Zidane.

At that time the clasp knife lanyard was issued unbraided.  Soldiers of the RA and RE were taught as part of their training how to braid and weave as part of their block, tackle, and pulley training and many used to braid their lanyards, and in the RA and some other regiments whiten them.  The box weaving technique became popular and many soldiers learned how to do it.

Around 1949 pre woven lanyards were issued in a variety of colours to brighten up battle dress after WW2 (along with a shirt and tie).  That period was the zenith of lanyard usage in the British and Dominion armies.

Edited by FROGSMILE

16 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Around 1949 pre woven lanyards were issued in a variety of colours to brighten up battle dress after WW2 (along with a shirt and tie).  That period was the zenith of lanyard usage in the British and Dominion armies.

I take it that in 1949, the colour of a lanyard is dependent on the corps, or did that come later?

8 hours ago, tankengine888 said:

I take it that in 1949, the colour of a lanyard is dependent on the corps, or did that come later?

Yes.  In materiel regulations there was a table listing the many variants.  An extract can be seen posted in a thread within the British and Commonwealth Military Badge Forum.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Denbigh Hussars in tropical kit

denbigh hussars f wm.jpg

3 minutes ago, Jerry B said:

denbigh hussars f wm.jpg

I wonder if he ended up in 24th Bn RWF Jerry. 

Australian Officer with overseas service chevrons and two wound stripes.

Australian..jpg

2 hours ago, Jerry B said:

denbigh hussars f wm.jpg

Hi Jerry,

Cracking photo. Could I use it in Volume 4 of my series on the badges of the Great War. You would of course be acknowledged.

Artists Rifles - "Arrival at Frimley. 1912"

Artists Rifles..jpg

Dear GWF1967,

Thanks for sharing the portrait of the youthful Australian Imperial Force (AIF) officer.

I was surprised to see that officer wearing his Sam Browne Belt sans Cross-strap. Furthmore his uniform jacket was a tight fit (possibly purchased sencond-hand!)

Kindest regarq

Juime                     

6 minutes ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Dear GWF1967,

Thanks for sharing the portrait of the youthful Australian Imperial Force (AIF) officer.

I was surprised to see that officer wearing his Sam Browne Belt sans Cross-strap. Furthmore his uniform jacket was a tight fit (possibly purchased sencond-hand!)     

I don't think he's wearing a Sam Browne. Looks like a belt the Light Horse used [p1903?]

Zidane

6 minutes ago, Kimberley John Lindsay said:

Dear GWF1967,

Kindest regarq

Juime                     

He’s not wearing a Sam Browne belt but a plain leather belt of p1903 bandolier equipment type Kim.

2 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

He’s not wearing a Sam Browne belt but a plain leather belt of p1903 bandolier equipment type Kim.

Could he be a Light Horse Officer in France? 4th Australian Light Horse Regiment sent I think 1 or 2 squadrons to France along with another Regiment later on..

Then again, I've never seen an officer wear a p1903..

Edit: No leather leggings i noticed.

Edited by tankengine888

7 hours ago, tankengine888 said:

Could he be a Light Horse Officer in France? 4th Australian Light Horse Regiment sent I think 1 or 2 squadrons to France along with another Regiment later on..

Then again, I've never seen an officer wear a p1903..

Edit: No leather leggings i noticed.

I think he’s an AIF officer cadet given what appears to be a white band around his slouch hat.  It was quite common for OCB to wear p03 belts with service dress jackets while under training.  @stevenbecker will be able to comment about the 4th ALH aspect. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

1 minute ago, FROGSMILE said:

I think he’s an AIF officer cadet given what appears to be a white band around his slouch hat.  It was quite common for OCB to wear p03 belts with service dress jackets while under training.

That would explain the odd shoulder insignia? I wasn't able to spot a pip.

1 minute ago, tankengine888 said:

That would explain the odd shoulder insignia? I wasn't able to spot a pip.

Yes, it appears to be a curved AUSTRALIA title with his cloth OCB number above it.

Dear All, and frogsmile,

Ah, yes: the white band (which I mistook for an AIF pugaree): an Officer Cadet.

Well spotted and explains the type of belt!

Kindest regards,

Kim.

I have had this postcard for many years and I only bought it as it seemed there is quite a lot going on. I wondered if someone with more knowledge than me would be able to provide some details. I see what I assume is French artillery and some British soldiers. I wondered if this was an armistice celebration? I am hoping someone will recognise the location, perhaps from the statue? Any assistance would be appreciated.

1ac.JPG

16 minutes ago, Raster Scanning said:

I have had this postcard for many years and I only bought it as it seemed there is quite a lot going on. I wondered if someone with more knowledge than me would be able to provide some details. I see what I assume is French artillery and some British soldiers. I wondered if this was an armistice celebration? I am hoping someone will recognise the location, perhaps from the statue? Any assistance would be appreciated.

1ac.JPG

I think the sign visible viewers top right says "RENTREE DU ROI BRUXELLES" (or similar) - in which case possibly taken in Brussels around late November 1918?

1 hour ago, Andrew Upton said:

I think the sign visible viewers top right says "RENTREE DU ROI BRUXELLES" (or similar) - in which case possibly taken in Brussels around late November 1918?

Thank you Andrew, could well be.

• Admin
5 hours ago, Raster Scanning said:

1ac.JPG

The guns I believe are 'De Bange 155 mm cannon'.

A Wikipedia page here tell us about them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Bange_155_mm_cannon

In the middle ish fore ground there is a chap with a distinct hat.

image.png.4609bb153dd6fb7d10db33b765dca396.pngnot the trilby but the forage type cap at the top of the screen shot.

Someone such as @FROGSMILE may instantly recognize it?

The British troops look to be mounted soldiers wearing bandoliers.

57 minutes ago, Bob Davies said:

The guns I believe are 'De Bange 155 mm cannon'.

A Wikipedia page here tell us about them. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Bange_155_mm_cannon

In the middle ish fore ground there is a chap with a distinct hat.

image.png.4609bb153dd6fb7d10db33b765dca396.pngnot the trilby but the forage type cap at the top of the screen shot.

Someone such as @FROGSMILE may instantly recognize it?

The British troops look to be mounted soldiers wearing bandoliers.

Hello Bob, it’s a bonnet de police type of field cap.  Made popular in France and it’s military alliances during Napoleonic times, the French and Belgians continued to use them.  The most elaborate type had a tassel hanging from the front and rear points.  Initially in horizon bleu, by 1918 it was khaki.  More informally it was known as a Calot.

NB.  This type of cap was the inspiration for a similar shaped cap adopted by the U.S. Army (initially manufactured in Paris and London) and which subsequently became known as the Garrison Cap.

IMG_3001.jpeg

IMG_3003.jpeg

IMG_3004.jpeg

Edited by FROGSMILE

• Admin
10 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

Hello Bob, it’s a bonnet de police type of field cap.  Made popular during Napoleonic times, the French and Belgians continued to use them.  The most elaborate type had a tassel hanging from the front and rear points.  Initially in horizon bleu, by 1918 it was khaki.

Merci FROGSMILE,

a picture or two tells a thousand words!

1 minute ago, Bob Davies said:

Merci FROGSMILE,

a picture or two tells a thousand words!

I’m glad to help Bob.  It’s an interesting headress and a version of it became favoured by the 5th Inniskilling Dragoon Guards.