Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

Loving these postcards Toby!

A real insight to a soldier's home from home.

Cheers

Chris

On 19/04/2021 at 21:17, Dragoon said:

Cheers

Chris

Certainly some of my favourites, although they fetch an almost unobtainable premium nowadays.  Heres some more barrack life cards, with the RMLI.

238633207_RMLIForton.jpg.b7183f4a737480051bbba65f0332df9b.jpg

Possibly my all time favourite here...

677588243_RMLIBarrackChatham.jpg.da7f61f32a811786a3033fd899987352.jpg

635695673_RMLIBarrackChatham1.jpg.34baf8c86397b40906d27598b47c147d.jpg

1991454724_RMLIBarrackChatham2.jpg.493f17331679aef3743cdeaa5b5ab696.jpg

Really superb cards Toby! Thanks for showing them.

The conical object shown above the beds in the Sergeant's mess & the last close up photo - would that be their helmet cover?

1 hour ago, Dragoon said:

Cheers

Chris

More than welcome, yes they appear to be the "home service" helmet in the issued cover. 

What different times they were when rifles were regularly kept secured in racks between bed spaces along the barrack room walls.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Looks like a character portrayal at a POW concert.  Cowboy perhaps, the contrived dress is ironically very close to that of the official uniform of the Frontiersmen units.

These postcards were brought home by my Great Grandfather while serving with the RGA and who spent time posted on Malta. An interesting detail is the ships are named on the first five. 

malta1.jpeg.f771857730135bf53b21db754f50407d.jpeg

malta2.jpeg.eb1dc9fe6be4f63156fc8fab094131a7.jpeg

malta3.jpeg.28f3a6b261fac674ad24979296eebd9e.jpeg

malta4.jpeg.cf4f931f12f01bb0242adfc2847bac9d.jpeg

malta5.jpeg.c4d6f1627635f316a5117a3db37d4ab5.jpeg

Malta6.jpeg.92b34549567444187e757ab6a7b2c2bd.jpeg

Malta7.jpeg.89293393d495adcc3a67f46a34ab63ca.jpeg

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

Looks like a character portrayal at a POW concert.

The photographer seemed to have had a photo-studio within the confines of the POW-camp or at least close by, as it says Paul Tharau, POW-camp photographer.

GreyC

1 hour ago, FROGSMILE said:

Looks like a character portrayal at a POW concert.  Cowboy perhaps, the contrived dress is ironically very close to that of the official uniform of the Frontiersmen units.

I have a lot more to post, I will get some more scans done during the week

4 hours ago, Gunner 87 said:

These postcards were brought home by my Great Grandfather while serving with the RGA and who spent time posted on Malta. An interesting detail is the ships are named on the first five.

That epitomises the time when Britannia Ruled the Waves with policy of maintaining a navy twice as large as its next rival in strength.  Mind boggling now and with a cost to National effort then that was the equivalent of maintaining the NHS now.

3 hours ago, GreyC said:

The photographer seemed to have had a photo-studio within the confines of the POW-camp or at least close by, as it says Paul Tharau, POW-camp photographer.

GreyC

I get the impression that demand from the Cottbus POW camp constituted a significant part of his business.  The photographers of all belligerents seemed to have found a lucrative trade among the massed armies that tussled on the world stage.  The mad economics of total war.

3 hours ago, vintagebobt said:

I have a lot more to post, I will get some more scans done during the week

I’m intrigued by the “Gaff Party” which I think might be the chosen name of the Cottbus POW’s camp concert party.  It seems to have had a nautical theme given the naval uniforms and that a Gaff was a sailboat.

6 minutes ago, FROGSMILE said:

The photographers of all belligerents seemed to have found a lucrative trade among the massed armies that tussled on the world stage.

Hi Frogsmile,

they might have seen this as a welcomed compensation for all the missed normal business due to the war.

GreyC

13 minutes ago, GreyC said:

Hi Frogsmile,

they might have seen this as a welcomed compensation for all the missed normal business due to the war.

GreyC

Yes I think so, although I imagine that the scale was even better for them given that the war effectively gathered together in a concentrated space a large body of potential customers all contemplating their mortality, and the possibility of leaving some essence of themselves, a lifelike image, for their loved ones.

Edited by FROGSMILE

In Cottbus they had two POW camps: in Sielow and Merzdorf, totaling up to 10,000 POWs. That was a fifth of the total population of Cottbus at that time.

1 minute ago, GreyC said:

In Cottbus they had two POW camps: in Sielow and Merzdorf, totaling up to 10,000 POWs. That was a fifth of the total population of Cottbus at that time.

Yes exactly, a quite extraordinary pool of potential customers all conveniently gather in one place.  A captive market, as it were....

Warrant Officers.

Royal Engineer and his Wife.  Photograph by "W. Gredy, 168 St. Georges Road, Bolton".

Royal Engineers group. 6/4/1919.

Royal Army Medical Corps group. 17/4/1918.

489794507_WOs---jpg(4).jpg.dbf312f3ada7b8a52f038100770aa2d5.jpg

940179116_WOs---jpg(2).jpg.62fcfd76a3af0b81c1c39ddf3588674d.jpg

2031173845_WOs---jpg(3).jpg.1fe0b0226e18caa0338d6661c075b577.jpg

A super set of photos, thank you for posting them.  It’s interesting to see the WO in the uppermost photo wearing non-regulation pattern shoes, suggesting he is taking advantage of being away from barracks.  In the middle photo just one of the WOI is wearing quasi officer pattern service dress whereas the other two are making do with well cut 02 service dress, such a mixture was common during the war and its immediate aftermath.

In the RAMC group photo just the central figure is a WOI, the other fellow, standing at rear and wearing collar badges, is equipped with a 03 pattern leather belt with pistol brace.

Edited by FROGSMILE