Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Postcards

trenchtrotter

Thank you Frogsmile. Quite similar to the German Army, indeed.

Here a German Landsturmmann with same duties.

GreyC

x35_II_Komp_Inselwache_Sylt_HornistCarlLahrmann24031918.jpg.86bdadf58d2b77fbb48b45dfe96696eb.jpg

8 hours ago, GreyC said:

Thank you Frogsmile. Quite similar to the German Army, indeed.

Here a German Landsturmmann with same duties.

GreyCx35_II_Komp_Inselwache_Sylt_HornistCarlLahrmann24031918.jpg.86bdadf58d2b77fbb48b45dfe96696eb.jpg

Yes much of the basic administration was quite similar in terms of barracks routine, and this was commented upon by British observers such as Colonel Grierson who spent time on attachment with the German Army between 1904 and 1906.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Pte. Rainforth (Reinforth) Pooley. 11567. 136th Field Ambulance. Royal Army Medical Corps. 

K.I.A. 28th April 1917. 

1598490743_RGAVOL(4).jpg.cd7800e6a8f3955199422ff089e1ee56.jpg

1.  Jack Bowen = Leinster or Welsh Regiment (shoulder titles suggest latter).

2.  L. Atkins = Duke of Lancaster’s Own Yeomanry (?) - EDIT: RMLI see below.

3a.  Dolly Morgan and Ruddick = Prince Albert’s (Somerset) Light Infantry.

3b.  Erskine = Lowland regiment, perhaps KOSB (as a pure guess).

4.  Tucker = Welsh Regiment.

NB.  Several seemingly captured at the battle/action of Mametz Wood as part of the Somme Offensive in July 1916.  Regiments from Wales in particular suffered high casualties there.

For: @CorporalPunishmentcan you confirm No 2, it’s not that clear?

Edited by FROGSMILE

22 minutes ago, CorporalPunishment said:

I think L. Atkins is Royal Marine Light Infantry.    Pete.

Thanks Pete, I did consider that but struggled with making the uppermost symbol out a bugle and plumped instead for a Ducal coronet.  I think you’ve called it correctly.

Edited by FROGSMILE

Army Service Corps group. The hut barber, far right, looks ready for action, with clippers and razor at the ready.

A.S.C. with Divisional Ammunition Column patch. 

899050752_Northants(3).jpg.455e92a55f92102dd419a28f7b6bf3b0.jpg

1049990806_Named.A.(6).jpg.ba3f275bcf0644c6cf48938a7009284b.jpg

1 hour ago, GWF1967 said:

Army Service Corps group. The hut barber, far right, looks ready for action, with clippers and razor at the ready.

Northants (3).jpg

Named. A. (6).jpg

That second photo gives a cracking view of his formation badge, I wonder if @poona guardwould be interested in it.

Edited by FROGSMILE

9 hours ago, GWF1967 said:

Northants (3).jpg

Named. A. (6).jpg

The man with the wound stripe looks as though he could be Coldstream Guards rather than ASC. The cut of his jacket and the cap marking him out from the rest of them.    Pete.

24 minutes ago, CorporalPunishment said:

The man with the wound stripe looks as though he could be Coldstream Guards rather than ASC. The cut of his jacket and the cap marking him out from the rest of them.    Pete.

I don’t think so Pete, I can definitely make out a crown at top of his badge and have yet to see a Guardsman without a shoulder title in either, metal, or cloth.  Such badges were very much part of Foot Guards dress and culture given that they also had similar shoulder titles with their full dress.  They were quite consistent with that form of insignia according to the many circa WW1 photos.
It would also be quite incongruous for a lone Coldstream among what is clearly a group of ASC sharing a hut.

Edited by FROGSMILE

The man back left and particularly the man at  the front with the walking stick appear to me to have smaller cap badges?

49 minutes ago, Gardenerbill said:

The man back left and particularly the man at  the front with the walking stick appear to me to have smaller cap badges?

They’ve bent them into a curve to conform to the curvature of their cap.  It was a common practice and gives an optical illusion of a reduction in size.

8 hours ago, FROGSMILE said:

I don’t think so Pete, I can definitely make out a crown at top of his badge and have yet to see a Guardsman without a shoulder title in either, metal, or cloth.  Such badges were very much part of Foot Guards dress and culture given that they also had similar shoulder titles with their full dress.  They were quite consistent with that form of insignia according to the many circa WW1 photos.
It would also be quite incongruous for a lone Coldstream among what is clearly a group of ASC sharing a hut.

It's the height of his cap compared to the others and the way the badge is positioned on it that got my interest but I don't think that was a Guards thing till much later. What I find amusing is the variety of shapes of the caps and the total lack of uniformity in them, especially the man at rear left. Typical laid back ASC men really but every one of them an unsung hero in my book.    Pete.

4 minutes ago, CorporalPunishment said:

It's the height of his cap compared to the others and the way the badge is positioned on it that got my interest but I don't think that was a Guards thing till much later. What I find amusing is the variety of shapes of the caps and the total lack of uniformity in them, especially the man at rear left. Typical laid back ASC men really but every one of them an unsung hero in my book.    Pete.

Yes I agree.  On both counts.

Thats a nice ASC group photo - the Cpl seated second from left with wound stripe & 4 WS Chevrons - appears to be 1915,16,17, & 18. I cannot discern any different colour variation in those chevs, so perhaps no 1914 chevron.

So estimating this photo taken sometime late '18 early '19?

Now the seated Private to the barber's right is wearing what appears to be a BWM.

It does not appear to be a 1914 star,  would that be possible in (presumably) late 1918 or early 1919?

1 hour ago, RNCVR said:

Thats a nice ASC group photo - the Cpl seated second from left with wound stripe & 4 WS Chevrons - appears to be 1915,16,17, & 18. I cannot discern any different colour variation in those chevs, so perhaps no 1914 chevron.

So estimating this photo taken sometime late '18 early '19?

Now the seated Private to the barber's right is wearing what appears to be a BWM.

It does not appear to be a 1914 star,  would that be possible in (presumably) late 1918 or early 1919?

The BWM was introduced in July 1919 so if he is wearing that ribbon I would expect the others to be wearing it as well. The two possibilities I can think of are are the Africa GSM and the French Medaille Militaire.   Pete.

5 hours ago, poona guard said:

Is there any information on him?

Unfortunately not.

Northamptonshire Yeomanry.  

464857947_Northants(4).jpg.18fb818934e8bba96d9e6f64083e4c69.jpg

499960973_Northants(5).jpg.1ea58382a7a2277b378b3761d220462b.jpg

Those are superb photos of a typical annual summer training camp.  A real snapshot in time, and so evocative as we look into those men’s faces and imagine their fates.  Thank you for posting them. 

Edited by FROGSMILE

Could be the MM?

Speaking of badges. Does anyone have any photos of terriers wearing cloth battalion/divisional/corps bagdes or metal shoulder titles or unique cap badges that they would like to appear in my volume 3  Great War badges - Territorials. Volume 4 on Corps troops.

On 04/05/2021 at 21:52, poona guard said:

Could be the MM?

Speaking of badges. Does anyone have any photos of terriers wearing cloth battalion/divisional/corps bagdes or metal shoulder titles or unique cap badges that they would like to appear in my volume 3  Great War badges - Territorials. Volume 4 on Corps troops.

Yes, MM is possible also, but unable to make out any centre stripes that the MM ribbon has.

It also makes sense, as CP has mentioned above, if it is the War medal others in the group should have it as well.

465710501_213px-Military_Medal_George_V_version_(Reverse).jpg.a98a87d59c8b8b9f27b1644339947da8.jpg

what is the back of the card like - British, French or German? One has service stripes for 1915 through 1918 so a 1919 photo probably.

3 hours ago, poona guard said:

what is the back of the card like - British, French or German? One has service stripes for 1915 through 1918 so a 1919 photo probably.

Post Card/Carte Postale with a divided back.